• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still liking Firefox on desktop and have now got it running almost exactly like Chrome was extension wise.

The only extension I miss is IETab. For work we have one application that insists on using IE and only IE to run. In 2018.

Hopefully Firefox's extensions will evolve enough to allow the developers to port it eventually, as I haven't found anything similar as yet.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to switch back to Chrome again :(

It is a bummer that NoScript is only available, but something in my Firefox eats huuuuge amounts of RAM. It is not rarity to have it at 2.5GB of RAM usage... of my 8 available. Also, the CPU load is at over 60% regularly. I don't understand why. On my Solus OS it runs just fine.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to switch back to Chrome again :(

It is a bummer that NoScript is only available, but something in my Firefox eats huuuuge amounts of RAM. It is not rarity to have it at 2.5GB of RAM usage... of my 8 available. Also, the CPU load is at over 60% regularly. I don't understand why. On my Solus OS it runs just fine.
I've noticed that this site in particular got really RAM hungry when ads were added. Was actually planning on getting clear tonight anyway so I might see if that makes a difference.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
The latest Firefox mobile is running very well on my Android tablet (excellent page loading speed, no stuttering, no crashes), even with 100 tabs open. It has a 1.6/2GHz hexa-core CPU and 4GB of DDR3 Ram, though.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I find that Firefox Focus runs like a dream compared to Firefox on Android on my OnePlus One, though it does seem like Firefox is a bit better than before.

Oct 25, 2017
I find that Firefox Focus runs like a dream compared to Firefox on Android on my OnePlus One, though it does seem like Firefox is a bit better than before.

Firefox Focus uses Android's native webview, so it naturally feels as snappy and responsive as Chrome would on those phones. Firefox for Android will be getting some basic improvements out of the Quantum initiative, but it will be 6-9 months behind the desktop browser at best.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay. I didn't know Focus is using Android's WebView. I guess I'll still be using Chromium in the meantime until Firefox is more integrated with Quantum

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sooo what version of Firefox should I use on Android? :-/
Focus does not save logins and stuff right? FF for Android feels sluggish somehow but I like the sync options of course.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The standard Firefox release is what you want but it's definitely more sluggish than Chrome, Edge and FF Focus. Focus is a privacy based browser so it wont save anything for you unfortunately. I'm swapping between Edge and Chrome until the mobile app catches up to the desktop app, for now it's tough to recommend outwith the sync options.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to stop video from pausing in inactive tabs on 56 Nightly?
Wait, 56 Nightly? That is a really odd combination to be using right now which you should probably stop. Current Nightly builds are on 61.

Anyway, if you're talking about the play button on the tabs, there's probably an about:config setting for that, I just don't know it off the top of my head.

If you're talking about tabs pausing when you navigate away from them, that is probably the website doing that, and you'll need an extension to stop it. I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-background-play-fix/ for that on mobile, but I'm not sure if any of the domains that works on do this on desktop.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, 56 Nightly? That is a really odd combination to be using right now which you should probably stop. Current Nightly builds are on 61.

See below:

Any word on Classic Theme Restorer being updated? I'm stuck on FF 56 Nightly until it is.
Classic Theme Restorer as an addon is dead but the author ported virtually all of its functionalities to Firefox profile mods:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/
I can't be fucked dealing with CSS. Unless I can straight copy/paste the code from my current preferences...

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
So I had a problem with embedded tweets on this forum not loading up, and it had something to do with Tracking Protection at the time, because I had already allowed all elements of Twitter on both Ghostery and NoScript and uBlock Origin did not interfere with anything. I had Tracking Protection on "Always" but then set it to "Only in Private Windows" and it fixed the embedded tweets problem and they were able to load up again.

Now in the past week embedded tweets are not showing up again, and I don't know what to fucking do with this. It's getting kinda frustrating...

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
So I had a problem with embedded tweets on this forum not loading up, and it had something to do with Tracking Protection at the time, because I had already allowed all elements of Twitter on both Ghostery and NoScript and uBlock Origin did not interfere with anything. I had Tracking Protection on "Always" but then set it to "Only in Private Windows" and it fixed the embedded tweets problem and they were able to load up again.

Now in the past week embedded tweets are not showing up again, and I don't know what to fucking do with this. It's getting kinda frustrating...

I haven't noticed any changes recently regarding this. Are you browsing the site in a private window? If so try setting tracking protection to never.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Anyway, if you're talking about the play button on the tabs, there's probably an about:config setting for that, I just don't know it off the top of my head.

If you're talking about tabs pausing when you navigate away from them, that is probably the website doing that, and you'll need an extension to stop it. I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-background-play-fix/ for that on mobile, but I'm not sure if any of the domains that works on do this on desktop.

Tabs pausing when you navigate away from them. Happens with streaming networks and social media sites like Twitter but not video sites like youtube. The above addon is only for Android sadly.

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
As the other poster mentioned are you using Firefox's tracking protection? That has been known to cause issues with embedded tweets loading on this site. Other than that are you using any add-ons that can block content?

I have set Tracking Protection to "Never" and updated to 59.0.3.

I have both Twitter elements allowed on Ghostery and allowed everything possible on NoScript and also I'm certain that uBlock Origin is not interfering with anything.

I am not using private tabs or windows.

They are still not loading up period. I have run out of ideas and possibilities.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
I have set Tracking Protection to "Never" and updated to 59.0.3.

I have both Twitter elements allowed on Ghostery and allowed everything possible on NoScript and also I'm certain that uBlock Origin is not interfering with anything.

I am not using private tabs or windows.

They are still not loading up period. I have run out of ideas and possibilities.

I use uBlock Origin and that hasn't caused any issues for me. I assume that the problem likely is due to Ghostery or NoScript. Have you tried running Firefox with add-ons disabled? That should at least determine if it's an add-on at fault or not.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, Firefox 60 stopped allowing the classic New Tab page from being used. Now I get a page full of junk and not the muscle memory of sites I used to go to. Even if I hide it all and just show my favorite sites, it's still small and less contextually useful. I could get used to it, but I'd rather not. It's just all around worse.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the tendency to go for smaller with wasted space? New tab pinned sites has gone from 3 rows of 5 to 2 rows of 8 (one extra site, cool), but all the thumbnails are so damn small now that three quarters of the page is just empty space.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else get poor performance after updating to 60?
My pages constantly freeze and get stuck for few seconds, it's really annoying

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been putting off upgrading for a long time, but finally did. All my old extensions work fine, except for DownloadThemAll. Doesn't seem to be an update for that one. Is there a good alternative?

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Firefox 60.0.1 is now out.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/60.0.1/releasenotes/

Does anyone else get poor performance after updating to 60?
My pages constantly freeze and get stuck for few seconds, it's really annoying

Yeah, I've had some issues loading pages. Frustrating.

60.0.1 includes a bug fix for pauses that occurred when using some add-ons in 60. That may fix the issues you were having.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I had to install the Android version of Firefox 60 via APK because the Play Store version still hasn't been updated for me lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Man what's up for this browser on PC.
I only have resetera and gmail open for like 4 hours now - no weird addons except ublock (which I already optimized).
8 firefox tasks with memory footprints ranging from 100mb to 400mb.... not good.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the new version sucks. Eats RAM like crazy and feels sluggish. Even my phone renders pages faster.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having issues where tabs will just go unresponsive. I'll click a link and the page won't load, can't refresh, can't go to a different address. Other tabs will work fine but that specific tab will just be completely dead.