• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know how some Youtube video don't play when they are embedded in posts and you have to go on Youtube to watch them? Is there an extension to allow the video to play anyway, without opening a new tab to Youtube?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I can't tell if it's FF 60, NoScript or the new Era that's giving me trouble. I've noticed that following:

• Posting doesn't seem to work. There is no textbox or options. Even clicking 'more options' has the same problem, there's no text box. (Posting this from mobile).
  • The main page seems to switch between two different layouts. There's one layout that's more useful, with links to pages on topics. The other layout only let's me go to the last page of a topic.
  • Finally, embedded Tweets are not always showing up in posts. They seem to be having issues lately.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if it's FF 60, NoScript or the new Era that's giving me trouble. I've noticed that following:

• Posting doesn't seem to work. There is no textbox or options. Even clicking 'more options' has the same problem, there's no text box. (Posting this from mobile).
  • The main page seems to switch between two different layouts. There's one layout that's more useful, with links to pages on topics. The other layout only let's me go to the last page of a topic.
  • Finally, embedded Tweets are not always showing up in posts. They seem to be having issues lately.
I have issues with embedded tweets too

Oct 25, 2017

Tweets have always been hit or miss for me. Are you using any custom userstyles on the site?

Albert

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still having that problem where my sessions either won't save or load correctly. I disabled all of my add-ons, which did nothing. I refreshed FireFox, which restored all of my settings to the default ones, and that did nothing. I just can't find a solution.

Ever since the Quantum update, it's been nothing but a huge pain in the ass for me. I've been using Tab Session Manager to get around this problem, but it makes FireFox crash all the time.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

Turning off "Tracking Protection" for ERA fixed tweet embeds for me. Click the area to the left of the URL and you can toggle it for the site.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is there a way to force FF to load the desktop version of sites? Somehow my Surface Pro 3 shows me the mobile version of resetera.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to force FF to load the desktop version of sites? Somehow my Surface Pro 3 shows me the mobile version of resetera.
Can you post a screenshot of your desktop?
ResetEra's desktop/mobile layout depends on the width of the screen; at a certain width it transforms from desktop to mobile. Check your Firefox zoom as well as your Surface Pro's display scaling. If you set everything to 100%, does ResetEra show the desktop layout?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I can scale the browser window down half (width) and then it flips to the desktop theme. I hope it's getting fixed, it's really annoying.
But also weird since I don't have the problem on 4k monitors either, just my SP3.

Setting desktop to 100% does nothing weirdly enough, as does changing resolution. Strange.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
The thread title should probably be changed to just "Firefox Quantum" since we're way past Firefox 57 at this point.
I tried to get the title changed by reporting the OP, but the mod said Vanillalite should be the one to do the report.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know best way to prevent memory leaks on Mac? Or is Firefox just not the best on Mac? I Have 2012 Macbook pro, running latest MacOS and 8GB ram.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Version 61 is out.

New Firefox Releases Now Available
Nick Nguyen June 26, 2018
Even though summer is here in the northern hemisphere, we're not taking any breaks. Firefox continues our focus on making a browser that is smarter and faster than any other, so you can get stuff done before you take that much needed outdoor stroll.

Key highlights for this update include:
  • Add Search Engines: users can now more easily add custom search engines to the location bar in Firefox enabling quicker and more streamlined search functionality. Imagine searching an actor's name, now with Firefox you can automatically search through IMDB in the location bar.
  • Tab Warming: speedier response times are now available when switching between tabs because Firefox is preemptively loading tabs when you're hovering over them.
  • Retained Display Lists: access to the pages you frequently visit quicker, thanks to retained display lists. This new functionality locally remembers content that has been visited previously, so it doesn't need to be reloaded each time you go to the site.
  • Accessibility Tools Inspector: ability for creators and developers to now easily make pages for users with accessibility requirements. Firefox is committed to a stronger, more accessible browser and this new tool supports that mission.
  • WebExtension Tab Management: Sometimes you're listening to music in a tab, but you don't really want that tab taking up space as you browse the web. In today's new release, WebExtensions can now hide tabs as well as manage the behavior of the browser when a tab is opened or closed, so you can expect to see exciting new extensions that take advantage of these features in the near future.
For additional information on developer news in today's update, visit here. For more details on all of today's news, you can review our release notes here.

Check out and download the latest version of Firefox Quantum available here.

Breakdown of the changes from gHacks.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wish the Android version had dark mode. I really want to use FF but chrome is just better with the whole coloring of the header/top area thing. Much more pleasing to the eyes.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Firefox 61.0.1 is now out.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/61.0.1/releasenotes/

Fine by me if the mods want to change it to get rid of the version # and just have it be for FF in general.

I'm in favour of the change if this thread is going to continue to be the general Firefox OT. Having a specific version number in the title no longer made much sense after 58 came out. If you're fine with making a couple of other minor thread changes the second "f" in "Firefox" isn't supposed to be capitalized and the image URL in your OP is now dead and no longer loads.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already fixed the thread title, but I updated the image. When I get on my laptop later I'll try and update some of the OP.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm on the Beta branch, which right now is v.62.

They are removing bookmark descriptions in this version. A bookmark now consists of 3 things: the url, a name, and tags. No longer a stored description (which it pulled from the meta description of the code, but was also user editable)

Maybe doesn't impact a lot of people, though I really hope they don't remove bookmark tags down the road. One of my favorite things about Firefox bookmarks.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
That means everything you added under "description" will be lost after that update? Did not use it for a lot of bookmarks but have to backup some stuff.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in favour of the change if this thread is going to continue to be the general Firefox OT. Having a specific version number in the title no longer made much sense after 58 came out. If you're fine with making a couple of other minor thread changes the second "f" in "Firefox" isn't supposed to be capitalized and the image URL in your OP is now dead and no longer loads.
I agree, the "FireFox" should be capitalized as "Firefox". Vanillalite it should be worth it to self-report the OP to get the title changed.
Though keep it as "Firefox Quantum |OT|" since it still is Firefox Quantum.
firefoxquantumhypwq.png

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do any of you guys have problems with memory leaks when watching Twitch streams? Firefox can get to using several GBs of RAM after only like an hour of watching a stream for me :/ Closing the tab brings memory usage down to normal, so it's not that bad, but still kinda annoying. I'm on 61.0.1 version.

Last edited:

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/04/mozilla-has-big-plans-for-firefox-for-android/

I saw this being discussed on Reddit and if true this could be a pretty big deal. It sounds like Mozilla is likely working on completely redoing the Android version of Firefox (aka "Fennec") with a brand new replacement known as "Fenix". Apparently it's been suggested that the current implementation of Firefox for Android is now in maintenance mode which is news to me.

If I'm interpreting all of this correctly it sounds like:

1. Firefox for Android in its current "Fennec" form is going to be moved to maintenance mode and any Android-specific development work for it will be be pretty limited for the near future. I wouldn't expect any major performance breakthroughs on Android for the rest of 2018.
2. Android development will now be prioritized on this new "Fenix" browser and Mozilla's Android components which will be the basis of the rewritten app.
3. Firefox Focus will transition from Android's default WebView to Mozilla's GeckoView component and will act as a testbed for the new Firefox for Android. The goal will be to switch Focus over without any rendering or performance regressions to prove that GeckoView is a suitable option for a high performance mobile browser that doesn't suffer from the type of performance issues that have traditionally plagued Firefox for Android.
4. When "Fenix" and the new Android components are production ready it will be released as the new Firefox Android app and "Fennec" will likely be discontinued at this point. The timeline for this to happen will be sometime in 2019 (hopefully).

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all sorely needed.

Firefox current Android performance is woeful even with the additions in a post quantum world.

Now that they have Quantum out on Desktop and they are just iterating they have more resources to work on fixing Android.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mozilla is crowd sourcing a new logo for FF.

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/evolving-the-firefox-brand/

A team made up of product and brand designers at Mozilla has begun imagining a new system to embrace all of the Firefox products in the pipeline and those still in the minds of our Emerging Technologies group. Working across traditional silos, we're designing a system that can guide people smoothly from our marketing to our in-product experiences.

Today, we're sharing our two design system approaches to ask for your feedback.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I think I prefer System 1 of the options shown, but System 2 looks sharp as well so I dunno. Would like to see more design options though.

And yeah I'm really glad they are doing this. Post-quantum I feel like I'm using an entirely different (and superior) product. Let's get some fresh design in the mix.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I like System 2's Firefox logos and System 1's app logos.

Also someone pointed out that System 1 looks a lot like Gitlab's logo. Whoops.

logo.png

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
While watching EVO, I noticed that fullscreen Twitch was unacceptably stuttery. But Twitch stats said I was dropping zero frames.

Months ago, Firefox reduced the precision of its JavaScript timers in an attempt to resist Spectre attacks. This has the side-effect of breaking Firefox's VSync, which was the source of the stutter.
After going to about:config and set privacy.reduceTimerPrecision to False, Twitch fullscreen became much smoother. Still not perfect, but Firefox's VSync was never perfect.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having an issue with ReCaptcha always popping up and refusing to let me enter the correct answer on FF? It refuses to let me even do the audio captcha. I can switch to a different browser and most often it doesn't even pop up, or it solves in the first attempt. I'm wondering if it's an add-on I have installed, but I don't have anything strange installed.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone having an issue with ReCaptcha always popping up and refusing to let me enter the correct answer on FF? It refuses to let me even do the audio captcha. I can switch to a different browser and most often it doesn't even pop up, or it solves in the first attempt. I'm wondering if it's an add-on I have installed, but I don't have anything strange installed.

I have not had any issues with reCAPTCHA in Firefox. What site is this happening on? You could test to see if it's an add-on causing the problem by going to Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled... to see if that fixes it.

Why does youtube stutter so much for me?

Are you talking about the site in general or video playback specifically? There was some recent drama when one of the Firefox developers found out that YouTube was being optimized around a deprecated API that was only implemented in Chrome causing YouTube load times to be way higher in other browsers. However I do not think that should cause video stuttering issues. I would recommend updating your GPU driver if you aren't on the latest release as buggy GPU drivers can sometimes cause issues like that.