• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.firefox.com

logo-quantum-wordmark-white-high-res.3ccf0070280e.png

Features for FireFox 57 Quantum -

1. New engine - Up to twice as fast with 30% less RAM usage and smooth tab switching even with a gazillion tabs open

2. New UI - Total UI redesign with a refreshed look and feel on all platforms both desktop and mobile.

3. Web Extensions - Everything is done on a new extension API. That means old legacy extensions are a no go. Everything must be updated to the new extension engine.

4. New Features - Mozilla rolling in some new features like built in screenshots that can be cloud saved to your FF account.

FireFox Mobile -

It's worth noting FF Mobile is also getting all of this on both iOS and Android BUT it's being phased in. FireFox 57 should have the new UI, but the new rendering engine isn't gonna be rolled in till 58 or 59.

Mozilla on the new Extension Engine

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/09/28/webextensions-in-firefox-57/

Firefox 57 has reached Beta, and a bevy of new APIs and improvements have landed that will put us in a good place for the Firefox Quantum launch in November.

Legacy add-ons no longer load in Firefox 57, but there is still time to migrate (almost 5,000 have migrated so far!), and you can do so even after it lands in release. Just update your listing with the new code and your users will automatically update to the compatible version. When you do, be sure to tell them about it.

Documentation for the APIs discussed here can be found on MDN Web Docs.

Last edited:

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This brought me back to FF after 3 years. No need for Classic Theme Restorer because the base UI is actually great.

And it's fast as FUCK.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This brought me back to FF after 3 years. No need for Classic Theme Restorer because the base UI is actually great.

And it's fast as FUCK.
It's still being ported though, right? I need my unloaded tab colors.
But I am liking the base UI though. I've been using the beta on my work computer and have liked it so far. I barely use add-ons on it though.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best way to move bookmarks/passwords from Chrome to Firefox? I'm using a mac.

Ah, I installed FF from scratch and it asked to import them from Chrome. We'll see if it got everything.

Last edited:

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the beta for awhile and its the best damn browser I've used, Chrome was a resource hog, and Safari is too walled in. I'm on a Mac also.

Gorgamel

Oct 25, 2017
Its really fast. I will admit. But where is the Tab Groups Add-on? That was pretty much the only reason why I use Firefox.

Anyone know a replacement add-on for it? I also need my Tab Mix Plus.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Not a Firefox user (yet??) but I hope this gives Google the big kick up their arse to get Chrome the massive refresh it urgently needs.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it, it has Ublock and Lastpass which are really my main extensions. I didn't know how to get this working before but I got it working now but I loved with chrome the ability to create a search with reddit. I would type "r" into the search box and hit space then I can type in whatever subreddit I want and do directly there. Here's how to do it in case anyone is interested.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So did it break all the addons again? Thats getting really annoying everytime Firefox makes a big update.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
If you have extensions that don't currently work there will be a section in the add-ons page that lists legacy extensions and a button to help you find a replacement if you are interested. I don't know how accurate those are though.

So did it break all the addons again? Thats getting really annoying everytime Firefox makes a big update.
All? No, some developers updated their stuff pretty quickly and others are still being worked on. But some won't work unless you do some work around or if the dev has stopped working on it. But I'm sure a good chunk are no longer functioning now that there needs to be a chance to get them working with the new changes.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Being too lazy to change browsers is paying off!

I set it up yesterday. Frankly the net seemed fast enough to me already.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I've dabbled with it before today with the Developer Edition, but I don't really use that for real browsing. Just updated the regular version and... they weren't kidding. It's much, much faster. And the new UI is great, though I ditched Classic Theme Restorer before 57 when they introduced the developer themes.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Working great and fast. New UI is much cleaner than the old one, was worried because Classic theme restorer isn't supported anymore.

The King is back!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just need a replacement for Rehost Image since the dev said they won't update it. Everything else I can live without.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
didn't think I'd ever switch back to Firefox from Chrome, but damn this is snappy and it seems much more resource friendly than Chrome. Also the dark theme is lit.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Sems like Enhanced Steam is only add-on that's dead for me :( Otherwise good stuff

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
They lost me (again) when Vivaldi came out, but this new version runs blazing fast on my devices. Well done, FF people.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
How does this compare against Opera's speed and memory usage? I've been using Opera for about 3-4 months after becoming disenfranchised with Chrome's memory leaks and haven't looked back.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems good, I'll be switching to this at work tomorrow. Unfortunately at home I'm stuck with Chrome since I rely on Chromecast.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I know i had extensions that were slowing things down and stuff and a clean install was gonna be better. That said i need an extension that does stuff like flashgot and noscript. I hope they get updated unless someone can show me better alternatives.
I would also recommend that you uncheck data collection under privacy and security so they don't use that to sell to ad companies.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know i had extensions that were slowing things down and stuff and a clean install was gonna be better. That said i need an extension that does stuff like flashgot and noscript. I hope they get updated unless someone can show me better alternatives.
I would also recommend that you uncheck data collection under privacy and security so they don't use that to sell to ad companies.

NoScript dev is saying he's gonna push a new version of the extension later today.

That being said check out uMatrix. It's a little more complicated because it does way more. It can replace something like NoScript though!

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, how long do we think it'll be until the NoScript Add-on is working with this new version? Edit - new version today? Nice!

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, though I will miss tab mix plus, hope a replacement is done in the future.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I think NoScript and FlashGot are from the same developer, right? NoScript is actively being worked on and and FlashGot will have development start on it right after

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on Chrome for the last... I don't know how many years but, yeah, FF 57 might make me switch back. Browsing on it feels like a true upgrade.