• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up at the weekend along with Aim controller and it's simply incredible. I played Rainbow Six Black Arrow on the OG Xbox to death, as soon as people were mentioning this was inspired by Rainbow I had to check it out and wow I'm glad I did. its basically is Rainbow in VR. Still needs a bit more polish but the core is there and gives me hope for the future.
Yeah it's incredible. I played for another 5 hrs straight. Leveling is a bit too slow though. Losing teams should get more points. The winning team getting 6x the amount the losing team gets is a joke.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's incredible. I played for another 5 hrs straight. Leveling is a bit too slow though. Losing teams should get more points. The winning team getting 6x the amount the losing team gets is a joke.

Yeah though my main gripes mainly come from the huge amount of down time between games, if it wasn't that I think EXP would probably be much faster. They need to let people play 3-5 rounds switching attack/defend before returning to the lobby for map change.

There is a lot of work that needs doing to their lobby system too:

Host migration
Mute players (always someone blasting terrible music)
Put all 8 players in the lobby so you can have some friendly banter with each other between games.
Add a firing range so you can test guns and equipment out before buying them.

Other than that though the core of the game is great and I'm really looking forward to see how they develop this over the coming months and flesh it out as it's a very solid start.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
As much as it tries to mimic it, Siege is still leagues more fleshed out and feature-ready. That said, VR does bring a lot to these types of games. I hope First Contact follows through on their promise to keep supporting the game. Maybe with enough attention and resources it can reach the lofty heights of Siege!

To be fair though Siege has been out for what 3 years now or something so I think it's a very solid start for them. As long as they keep supporting it then I think it will do well.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
As much as it tries to mimic it, Siege is still leagues more fleshed out and feature-ready. That said, VR does bring a lot to these types of games. I hope First Contact follows through on their promise to keep supporting the game. Maybe with enough attention and resources it can reach the lofty heights of Siege!

I agree but it's got the base to build from and could well become the number one VR team shooter franchise.

Mar 17, 2018
I will pick this up after it has been polished a bit, so I hope it is a fun game to play. People sure seem to like it. Are the patches improving the game at a consistent rate?

Mar 17, 2018
Guys can you explain how mic works to me quickly? I usually use my HD600 headphones into the receiver for sound. I can use the buds for the headset if need be. I don't have a separate mic though. I use my camera as a mic. Will I be good in this game talking? Does it use the mic on the VR set?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Guys can you explain how mic works to me quickly? I usually use my HD600 headphones into the receiver for sound. I can use the buds for the headset if need be. I don't have a separate mic though. I use my camera as a mic. Will I be good in this game talking? Does it use the mic on the VR set?

The PSVR has a Mic built into it so I have just been using that with my headphones and seems to work fine.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
So I take it the voice I receive back will be in my headphones, or must I use the buds that connect to PSVR?

Game chat comes through your headphones. I originally connect the mic from my headphones to the block on the PSVR cable but then found out about the built in mic so took the mic and cable off and just use the built in one now, one less cable to get tangled up in.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
You need to plug your headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the PSVR to get binaural sound - if you just take the sound from the PS4 via a receiver you are cutting out the PSVR breakout box so you just get standard sound.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope we get a roadmap soon. Been busy with other games but once done with Spider-Man I do plan to get back into this and would like to know what to look forward to. :)

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
You need to plug your headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the PSVR to get binaural sound - if you just take the sound from the PS4 via a receiver you are cutting out the PSVR breakout box so you just get standard sound.

Really? I use some wireless headphones which go from the optical output of the PS4 to the headphone receiver and I'm pretty sure that works. Could be wrong though will have to try when I get home with some wired headphones and see if there is a difference.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Really? I use some wireless headphones which go from the optical output of the PS4 to the headphone receiver and I'm pretty sure that works. Could be wrong though will have to try when I get home with some wired headphones and see if there is a difference.

I believe you only get 3D positional audio from the PSVR jack, so any other source puts you at a disadvantage

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get some more time yesterday with mixed results:

After a couple of silent lobbies (I've given up actually playing a round with people who won't talk; it puts the team at such a disadvantage I'd rather find another lobby), and one French-speaking lobby (seemed like nice people, but I don't know much beyond gauche and droit, so quit after one game), I got into a great team with really good comms and teamwork.
When you get a good group this game is something really special. As mentioned above, a few little tweaks would help:

• Host migration.
  • Shorten the pre-match timer from 60 seconds to 30 and have a 'ready' button to start straight away if everyone's ready.
  • Preset your attacking and defending loadouts and run two rounds on the same map back-to-back.
  • Nerf the signal jammer, maybe just the range, or number that can be used.
  • Maybe bump the damage for the SMGs slightly? I rarely see them, and even when I do it's usually because of the proximity mines loadout. Do something to make them better.
I'll be diving back in as soon as I get home! Only a bit more crypto for the Volkov!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know the game is still pretty new but the lack of any news for 10 days is making me a bit nervous. :(

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I know the game is still pretty new but the lack of any news for 10 days is making me a bit nervous. :(

Be patient, they've released patches since then so they are still working on it.

Looking forward to jumping in again tonight; as NSE said above I hope I luck out with a good lobby - I got a couple of hours with my first bunch on my first night and it was great!

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Be patient, they've released patches since then so they are still working on it.

Looking forward to jumping in again tonight; as NSE said above I hope I luck out with a good lobby - I got a couple of hours with my first bunch on my first night and it was great!
It would be easy to squad up in here. Doesn't anyone do that?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Kruger and SoS for close quarters. SoS is NASTY, one shot drops people. Also the revive pistol is the shiznit!

You're several levels higher than me, then!
Only just unlocked the Volkov, just a few hundred more credits...

My default is the Kruger, but I switch to shotgun on Shoothouse and Hotel. Will get the SOS when it unlocks.

What's the verdict on the Volkov/AK? Am I wasting my money? Damage stat looks good, but a big accuracy drop...

Oct 26, 2017
Not so far. Apparently there's a discord but I'm a ludite so don't really use that. I put my psn up earlier in the thread but no takers :(

Got some friend requests from the last few days of play so I'm hoping to skim the best off my random but very friendly partners!
I'll dig out your earlier post and send a friend request! I'm UK time zone, normally on from around 23:00.
My PSN ID is Winch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yeah though my main gripes mainly come from the huge amount of down time between games, if it wasn't that I think EXP would probably be much faster. They need to let people play 3-5 rounds switching attack/defend before returning to the lobby for map change.

ONLY if you get 3-5 times more XP, while it would play better and feels more fluid, the grind would be even worse.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
You're several levels higher than me, then!
Only just unlocked the Volkov, just a few hundred more credits...

My default is the Kruger, but I switch to shotgun on Shoothouse and Hotel. Will get the SOS when it unlocks.

What's the verdict on the Volkov/AK? Am I wasting my money? Damage stat looks good, but a big accuracy drop...
Not used it myself but the improved recoil resistance from the Norwegian? Operator apparently helps accuracy a lot. Was playing online with a random who was cursing the gun until he swapped operator...

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Yeah I did this in my first try. And I tried that some time ago because it was written in another forum as well. It didn't help in my case. But like I said there seem a lot of solutions for this peoblem but not every solution works in every environment.
Okay, no worries. One last note: Ensue your camera is above your headset height, so that the Aim controller doesn't block the camera view of the headset whilst you move them around. Over the course of time, if the camera is eye level or below the headset, you'll get tracking/ drifting issues when the Aim controller blocks sight of your headset from the camera, and tracking errors accumulate.

On the subject of sound, I've removed the stock buds from the V2 headset, and using a pair of decent wired headphones and a headphone amplifier, ramping the volume up, I can hear the quietest sounds with great positional accuracy. The 3D sound is rather creepy and tense when sneaking around.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Holy, shit, I did that yesterday, for the most part and it worked wonders. The weapon was smooth and perfectly controllable, the cam recognized my movement as good as never before. I think I still had the cam a bit too high but I had no problems at all besides the annoying red dot again but in my video you can see how smooth the weapon movement was (and when I kill my opponent, how the red dot doesn't matters at all).
Tested the laser yesterday too and I love it, will use it as much as I can, love the aspect of holding the weapon right so that the opponents doesn't see it.

Looks like you are holding the aim controller too far in front of you so the red dot sight is too small to pick up the dot quickly. Try bringing the aim in closer to your shoulder as if resting the rifles stock against it, this will make the sight much larger in your feild of veiw and allow you to use the red dot properly without loosing track of it outside of the sight boundaries.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018

Yeah standard sound with a virtual surround option is usually just as good or better because I use a Denon with HD600s. The buds are okay with the PSVR, but terribly weak overall. Binaural sound is nice, but overall I see very few games that make use of it where I can tell much difference between that and virtual or surround options in games. The low power of the PSVR and cheap buds don't help though.

I was thinking about getting some low ohm in-ear headphones, but that still doesn't help the poor amplification.

Tried to drive my HD600s in the PSVR lol but it was too low of volume.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What kind of amplifier has the ins and outs needed go through the headset audio?
Here's a typical headphone amplifier without a DAC:
MpMOPc4.jpg

It's an FiiO A5, the one I'm currently using. Audio output from the headset, connected by an audio aux cable, goes into the headphone amplifier, and the headphone plugs into it. There are plenty of these types of headphone amplifiers around.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Dislike all earplugs that are fitted inside ear canals as none actually fit me. Even the smallest rubber coating makes them fall out. Thinking about buying a wireless headset but I'm not sure if any exists that take the 3D sound produced by the breakout box or?

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Dislike all earplugs that are fitted inside ear canals as none actually fit me. Even the smallest rubber coating makes them fall out. Thinking about buying a wireless headset but I'm not sure if any exists that take the 3D sound produced by the breakout box or?
You can get plugs of various sizes, and also materials where they form the shape of your ear canals. IIRC, wireless headphones don't work with PSVRs 3D audio.

Mar 17, 2018
Here's a typical headphone amplifier without a DAC:
MpMOPc4.jpg

It's an FiiO A5, the one I'm currently using. Audio output from the headset, connected by an audio aux cable, goes into the headphone amplifier, and the headphone plugs into it. There are plenty of these types of headphone amplifiers around.

Okay, yeah I have heard of these amps. I used to have a custom DAC, I just wasn't sure all of this would pass the audio correctly. I have a 3.5mm connector for my HD600s, so all I need is something like this then and an auxiliary cable and it does 3d audio? I would hope this can power my HD600s decently.

This has no DAC? Are there ones with a good DAC for not too much more? Is the DAC in the PSVR any good at all? I know most modern DACs are pretty decent nowadays.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Okay, yeah I have heard of these amps. I used to have a custom DAC, I just wasn't sure all of this would pass the audio correctly. I have a 3.5mm connector for my HD600s, so all I need is something like this then and an auxiliary cable and it does 3d audio? I would hope this can power my HD600s decently.
The DAC is already done when the audio signal leaves the headset. So all you need to do with this analogue signal is simply amplify it with an analogue amplifier. And avoid any other signal modifications from DSP effects provided by some amps - just a pure signal amplification will suffice.

Mar 17, 2018
The DAC is already done when the audio signal leaves the headset. So all you need to do with this analogue signal is simply amplify it with an analogue amplifier. And avoid any other signal modifications from DSP effects provided by some amps - just a pure signal amplification will suffice.

Yes, but is the DAC in the PSVR any good is the question? I said it should be as most DACs today are decent. But IDK. Well, I think I am going to get a black A5 then and do this because I am sick of using my buds for 3D movies.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Yes, but is the DAC in the PSVR any good is the question? I said it should be as most DACs today are decent. But IDK. Well, I think I am going to get a black A5 then and do this because I am sick of using my buds for 3D movies.
I doubt it's any kind of high-end DAC, considering the price of PSVR. It should be located in the breakout box, and if the signal is hackable, then the DAC could be by-passed. The next model of PSVR/ PS5 should have on optical out to avoid all this.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK

I have Bose QC35s and Sony 1000XM2 wireless headphones and whilst both are super comfortable with VR (much more than buds) you need to use the 3.5mm cable to work with the Ps4. I'm not sure if even the Sony Gold or Platinum headsets will process 3d audio wirelessly. But it's definitely worth upgrading from the buds, especially for.a game that needs you to be able to hear footsteps etc.

Mar 17, 2018
I doubt it's any kind of high-end DAC, considering the price of PSVR. It should be located in the breakout box, and if the signal is hackable, then the DAC could be by-passed. The next model of PSVR/ PS5 should have on optical out to avoid all this.

Yeah but in 2016 or so even DAC's should generally be fairly decent. It's not like before when you would get less precision due to tech not being good enough. Most DACs I would think are 192kHz and of good quality today. I should look for a teardown or something.

At any rate I'm gonna try that amp. Should be a lot more comfy with my HD600s.