• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Yeah but in 2016 or so even DAC's should generally be fairly decent. It's not like before when you would get less precision due to tech not being good enough. Most DACs I would think are 192kHz and of good quality today. I should look for a teardown or something.

At any rate I'm gonna try that amp. Should be a lot more comfy with my HD600s.
I think the DAC is rather average or below average in PSVR. When I test it with my smartphones DAC using this headphone amplifier and a good pair of headphones, the Signal to Noise ratio from PSVRs DAC is significantly higher than the one in my phone (Sony Xperia XZ Premium). I can easily hear this difference in noise when I use the amp at very high volumes, because the amp itself has a very low S/N.

This isn't a big deal when playing the game though and is miles better than the stock buds that come with PSVR.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, no worries. One last note: Ensue your camera is above your headset height, so that the Aim controller doesn't block the camera view of the headset whilst you move them around. Over the course of time, if the camera is eye level or below the headset, you'll get tracking/ drifting issues when the Aim controller blocks sight of your headset from the camera, and tracking errors accumulate.

On the subject of sound, I've removed the stock buds from the V2 headset, and using a pair of decent wired headphones and a headphone amplifier, ramping the volume up, I can hear the quietest sounds with great positional accuracy. The 3D sound is rather creepy and tense when sneaking around.
I really appreciate your effort in helping the guys with drift. I tried all the steps you said again, there also was a PlayStation Firmware update. And I once cut the PS4 and all devices from the power source. Sadly it didn't improve anything. There must be another reason for guys like us that causes the drift. The best thing I can do is deactivate the Aim and Headset during lobby phases and turn both on again. First the headset, wait 10 secs, then the controller pointed at the camera, 10 seconds wait while holding still. And yes I also have the camera above me. But I measured it and it isn't really 0,5m - more like 0,25m. But I can't put it higher than my TV. I might trying sitting on the ground, lol. But my headset is fine all the time. I never got headset drift, I only get gun drift which is caused by the Aim Controller, isn't it?

So that I am getting that right. You stand up lamp shines directly at your headset? Because when I do that it feels way too bright in the camera configuration screen. And it is written in the tutorial that you should not directly light your headset. Indirect lightning seems to be the right thing to do? But either way, it doesn't make a difference for me.

One guy wrote that the aim controller lacks another light at the end of it so that the camera only can spot one light. That actually makes a lot of sense for me. But it doesn't explain why some people don't have any drifting problems.

Another thing. When I shot that grid with holding down OPTIONS button the virtual blue camera isn't where my real camera is. It is almost always like 20 centimeters more left and 20 centimeters more down than the real one. Is that normal?

And one more thing. When configuring the AIM Controller via PlayStation menu I have to hold it very close to the camera. At least 1m closer than I am actually sitting (2m away for move games - I also tried 1,5m but it didn't help and 2m gives me more room for movement).

Mar 17, 2018
I think the DAC is rather average or below average in PSVR. When I test it with my smartphones DAC using this headphone amplifier and a good pair of headphones, the Signal to Noise ratio from PSVRs DAC is significantly higher than the one in my phone (Sony Xperia XZ Premium). I can easily hear this difference in noise when I use the amp at very high volumes, because the amp itself has a very low S/N.

This isn't a big deal when playing the game though and is miles better than the stock buds that come with PSVR.

Yes okay thank you. It's one of the reasons I prefer using my Denon, but it's weird because even the PS4 itself has a high signal to noise ratio with a receiver. Because PS4 defaults to sending 7.1 to my receiver, somewhere along the line it increases the signal to noise, which is one reason I don't use it as a movie player as it is terrible. I don't notice the noise much because the Denon has a lot of headroom, but it's still there when playing the Denon loud, and it is not there at all on PC when I can properly choose stereo settings for my headphones in Sound.

I was hoping because DACs have come so far that at least the detail in the DAC is good. It should be for 2016 products geez. It's hard to make a bad DAC these days.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I never got headset drift, I only get gun drift which is caused by the Aim Controller, isn't it?
Depends how the algorithms are tracking each device. You mention below that your camera isn't where it should be when using the Options to recalibrate, which suggests your camera doesn't know exactly where your headset is.

So that I am getting that right. You stand up lamp shines directly at your headset? Because when I do that it feels way too bright in the camera configuration screen. And it is written in the tutorial that you should not directly light your headset. Indirect lightning seems to be the right thing to do? But either way, it doesn't make a difference for me.
Yeah, I remember the advice about direct lighting. It's just general advice to avoid glaring the camera and uneven lighting. With careful positioning of the spotlight, as suggested earlier, you get even lighting without glaring the camera and any other uneveness. It may look too bright, but a negative image shows clear contrast to track the coloured markers.

One guy wrote that the aim controller lacks another light at the end of it so that the camera only can spot one light. That actually makes a lot of sense for me. But it doesn't explain why some people don't have any drifting problems.
Ideally, a second camera to track would be better. Another marker at the back can still be obstructed from a single camera. Still, with one marker on the Aim, algorithms should be able to triangulate Aims position by knowing the position of the headset as well.

Another thing. When I shot that grid with holding down OPTIONS button the virtual blue camera isn't where my real camera is. It is almost always like 20 centimeters more left and 20 centimeters more down than the real one. Is that normal?
This isn't normal. It looks like your camera doesn't know where exactly your headset is. Which camera are you using - the PS3 or PS4 one? Ensure the camera has no obstructions and the lenses are clean. Could you also try a different camera as it may be damaged?

And one more thing. When configuring the AIM Controller via PlayStation menu I have to hold it very close to the camera. At least 1m closer than I am actually sitting (2m away for move games - I also tried 1,5m but it didn't help and 2m gives me more room for movement).
It looks like your camera is struggling to see the Aim; it shouldn't need to be closer than where you are sitting to calibrate it.

I was hoping because DACs have come so far that at least the detail in the DAC is good. It should be for 2016 products geez. It's hard to make a bad DAC these days.
FYI, I used the V2 PSVR, and also had the V1 at one point, which may have had a better DAC.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
On a related note I started turning off my TV when playing VR and it seemed to make aim drift a bit worse. So I am basically using my TV as the "direct light" on my aim and headset.

Had a much better night last night, only one host disconnect and plenty of people to top the lobby up quickly. If a patch comes soon to grease those wheels more it'd be the icing on the cake.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Depends how the algorithms are tracking each device. You mention below that your camera isn't where it should be when using the Options to recalibrate, which suggests your camera doesn't know exactly where your headset is.

Yeah, I remember the advice about direct lighting. It's just general advice to avoid glaring the camera and uneven lighting. With careful positioning of the spotlight, as suggested earlier, you get even lighting without glaring the camera and any other uneveness. It may look too bright, but a negative image shows clear contrast to track the coloured markers.

Ideally, a second camera to track would be better. Another marker at the back can still be obstructed from a single camera. Still, with one marker on the Aim, algorithms should be able to triangulate Aims position by knowing the position of the headset as well.

This isn't normal. It looks like your camera doesn't know where exactly your headset is. Which camera are you using - the PS3 or PS4 one? Ensure the camera has no obstructions and the lenses are clean. Could you also try a different camera as it may be damaged?

It looks like your camera is struggling to see the Aim; it shouldn't need to be closer than where you are sitting to calibrate it.

FYI, I used the V2 PSVR, and also had the V1 at one point, which may have had a better DAC.
Ok thanks for the answers. I will try some new things today and report back. I don't think the camera is busted because everything else works and my drift isnt even that bad (saw videos were it was way worse)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks for the answers. I will try some new things today and report back. I don't think the camera is busted because everything else works and my drift isnt even that bad (saw videos were it was way worse)
So I tried a bunch of other stuff (other lamp, camera below me, calibrating the move with FarPoint) and nothing helps. I will just try not to focus on minor drift and life with it. turning the controller on/off seems like my best Solution here. And reading through message boards this is a common issue so I don't think my hardware is defective.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Played this for another 4 hours last night. Same groupnthe whole time. I haven't added this many friends since the BF4 days.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I really hope so...just it seems like such a basic thing for P2P games that I'm surprised it wasn't there from launch.

Yes, for sure, it doesn't seem to be that hard to implement, I mean even 10 year old games had that already.

The same with more rounds per game, you stay in the same lobby with the same opponents anyway until they leave, so why not making the process faster, add rounds with only classes choosable instead of editable with a quick 10 seconds pause and Bam, next round.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the 'improved messaging' for host disconnects will be:

"Hey there! If you're the host (which we don't tell you, you'll have to guess), please don't stop playing... ever, or all the other players will get booted to the main menu!"

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so...just it seems like such a basic thing for P2P games that I'm surprised it wasn't there from launch.
Yeah this is baffling. No reason to not implement it. Maybe they ran out of time or something. Joining with a group is also still far from optimal. Sometimes you simply can't get a full game. I hope they get the time and money to iron this stuff out because when everything works this game is still amazing and so much fun. Had some fantastic games today.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
What's the general verdict on this? I have a PSVR and Aim controller already. What's the community like? Any toxicity problems?

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's the general verdict on this? I have a PSVR and Aim controller already. What's the community like? Any toxicity problems?

Some people are waaaaay to quiet. I'm not the most talkative person, but I definitely try to communicate. The other day I was with 2 canadian people, we were just talking in the lobby for like half hour before the 8th player appeared.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

The game is fantastic. It is a grind to unlock a lot of the fun stuff and customization options, which is annoying, but playing the game is absolutely fantastic. The community for me has been great. Haven't met one bad apple. Like Glassboy said above, even when we lose everyone is still having fun and ready to go again.

Oct 26, 2017

I've experienced zero toxicity and have been playing on and off since day 1.

Silent lobbies are a problem, I tend to just find another lobby if no-one is talking. That said, I played with a group for a solid hour or more where 3 of us were chatting and one person was mute. They could clearly hear us but wouldn't speak, it became a running joke that they fully engaged with, another of those stories that this game seems to generate.

I've heard no insults, racism or sexism (the game seems to have a good female audience). The community really is something special.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK

If you already have the Aim it's worth the £25 price of admission, even with the janky net code stuff. Community is probably the best bit-they really are nice people. Once you get a good group it's really fun. Come join us!

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So I tried a bunch of other stuff (other lamp, camera below me, calibrating the move with FarPoint) and nothing helps. I will just try not to focus on minor drift and life with it. turning the controller on/off seems like my best Solution here. And reading through message boards this is a common issue so I don't think my hardware is defective.
Okay, that's great that you've tried other things mentioned above. From what you said earlier about calibration, I just wanted to reiterate that my last post only asked you to tell me which camera you were using - PS3 or PS4, and to try another camera after cleaning the lens. I don't see that being tried, so if you ever can borrow a confirmed working one and test, or pickup a cheap backup, then I'd say you've tried pretty much everything.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Today I've got my proof that the control problems, the drifting and the mediocre weapon tracking in general is 100% a development problem and not the problem of PSVR. After a huge 1 hour session with 100% victories I switched to Doom VFR just to test the aim controller out for the first time with Doom and what I saw shocked me a little bit.
As much as I hate the lackluster controls in that game and the feeling of the game controls and the optic (I always feel I'm a midget in that game), the weapon feeling and tracking tho is absolute superb. Wow. 100% still and 100% smooth tracking no matter what I did with the weapon, it was always 100% accurate (and sharp), just an absolute crazy difference. If you own both games, try to start Doom for a minute after a Firewall session, it's like day and night.

Now I'm curious if they are capable of improving that in the future, technically, it's definitely possible.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Ive seen several people on Reddit recommend wearing gloves to help fix drift issue. Mostly medical latex gloves, or wrapping plastic packaging tape around where you hold the aim. Seen construction safety gloves work, or even wrapping a tshirt around where you hold the aim. Seems thin cotton gloves do not work though. Heard it works by either blocking EMFs, or temperature from your hands messing with the IMUs that are located around where your hands are. But regardless, it seems everyone that has said to try it that it has solved the issue 100%. We will see. Now I just need to find some good gloves to try it.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Bought a copy on my way home. Installing updates and setting the psvr back up.

Edit: Anyone having connection issues? I keep getting tossed back to the main menu when the match countdown begins. Others in the lobby said they were having the same issues.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ive seen several people on Reddit recommend wearing gloves to help fix drift issue. Mostly medical latex gloves, or wrapping plastic packaging tape around where you hold the aim. Seen construction safety gloves work, or even wrapping a tshirt around where you hold the aim. Seems thin cotton gloves do not work though. Heard it works by either blocking EMFs, or temperature from your hands messing with the IMUs that are located around where your hands are. But regardless, it seems everyone that has said to try it that it has solved the issue 100%. We will see. Now I just need to find some good gloves to try it.
That doesn't account for some games being fine and others not, but it is easy to try/rule out once I have my PSVR out of storage.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Bought a copy on my way home. Installing updates and setting the psvr back up.

Edit: Anyone having connection issues? I keep getting tossed back to the main menu when the match countdown begins. Others in the lobby said they were having the same issues.

Welcome! Other than hosts dropping out and a couple of instances of lag it's been fine for me. Did it tell you the connection to the host was lost? If so, the host left before the game started. Host migration is going to be the first thing I ask for on the AMA tomorrow.

I heard from another guy playing that it has around 20k concurrent players, compared to around 28k D2 players. The latter seems low but it definitely feels like there's a stable community right now. Just need to hold the numbers with some fixes and more modes.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Today I've got my proof that the control problems, the drifting and the mediocre weapon tracking in general is 100% a development problem and not the problem of PSVR. After a huge 1 hour session with 100% victories I switched to Doom VFR just to test the aim controller out for the first time with Doom and what I saw shocked me a little bit.
As much as I hate the lackluster controls in that game and the feeling of the game controls and the optic (I always feel I'm a midget in that game), the weapon feeling and tracking tho is absolute superb. Wow. 100% still and 100% smooth tracking no matter what I did with the weapon, it was always 100% accurate (and sharp), just an absolute crazy difference. If you own both games, try to start Doom for a minute after a Firewall session, it's like day and night.

Now I'm curious if they are capable of improving that in the future, technically, it's definitely possible.

Considering DOOM VR: How did you get rid of that stupid grenade launcher on your left side (your second weapon). Did they patch that when using the AIM? It was really immersion breaking for me while playing with the AIM Controller.
Okay, that's great that you've tried other things mentioned above. From what you said earlier about calibration, I just wanted to reiterate that my last post only asked you to tell me which camera you were using - PS3 or PS4, and to try another camera after cleaning the lens. I don't see that being tried, so if you ever can borrow a confirmed working one and test, or pickup a cheap backup, then I'd say you've tried pretty much everything.
I am using the camera that came with my headset. Should be a PS4 camera? And yes I cleaned it several times. Didn't help either. Do PS3-cameras work? I should have one still laying around somewhere. But to be honest I am kinda sick fiddling around with it. Yesterday I just put my camera back on top of the TV, turned ALL lights of (darkness) and reconfigurered my Controller and Headset in the game lobby and everything worked really well. I can totally life with that.

The thing is I always try to get the best setup possible, but I think the point is reached where I can't improve things. Seeing so many people with the same problem gives me confidence that I am not doing something wrong.

Everyone who plays it seems to love it. There are problems like no host migration, iffy matchmaking and some people have controller drifting but people still really love to play it. It's a totally new experience when it comes down to first-person-tactical shooter. It's a fantastic game.

Last edited:

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017

I had the same issues, what fixed it for me wasnt the placement of the camera but the distance i was from it. I reduced this to about 1.5 meters and it all but eliminated it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I also went from standing to sitting. If that helps.
I tried 2,5 - 1,5m - it's pretty much the same for all distances. I am playing at 1,5m now, because that seems to be the optimal distance. It's also the distance where the FarPoint calibration has you right on the spot where you should stand/sit.

And yeah, I went from standing to sitting, too. I turn too much while standing :D

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017

I had my first "proper" game today i.e. people actually communicated.

Awesome experience.

I will still probably wait until the launch issues get resolved i.e. waiting times, host migration, xp / levelling being too expensive before i really commit my time to it tho.

Got spidey until then. Which is also awesome.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Considering DOOM VR: How did you get rid of that stupid grenade launcher on your left side (your second weapon). Did they patch that when using the AIM? It was really immersion breaking for me while playing with the AIM Controller.
I am using the camera that came with my headset. Should be a PS4 camera? And yes I cleaned it several times. Didn't help either. Do PS3-cameras work? I should have one still laying around somewhere. But to be honest I am kinda sick fiddling around with it. Yesterday I just put my camera back on top of the TV, turned ALL lights of (darkness) and reconfigurered my Controller and Headset in the game lobby and everything worked really well. I can totally life with that.

The thing is I always try to get the best setup possible, but I think the point is reached where I can't improve things. Seeing so many people with the same problem gives me confidence that I am not doing something wrong.

Everyone who plays it seems to love it. There are problems like no host migration, iffy matchmaking and some people have controller drifting but people still really love to play it. It's a totally new experience when it comes down to first-person-tactical shooter. It's a fantastic game.

PS3 cameras do not work (on PS4, people do use them on PC apparently) - I can see where the confusion comes from though as there are 2 different designs of PS4 camera, the original one thats a series of cubes and the new more rounded design. I don't believe there is any difference in performance though.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Considering DOOM VR: How did you get rid of that stupid grenade launcher on your left side (your second weapon). Did they patch that when using the AIM?

You can't, it just looks like it cause the angle when you record is weird but it's still there, that's what I meant with I don't like a lot of things in this game, but for some reason the weapon tracking is absolute ace and solid as a rock. It's just crazy.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You can't, it just looks like it cause the angle when you record is weird but it's still there, that's what I meant with I don't like a lot of things in this game, but for some reason the weapon tracking is absolute ace and solid as a rock. It's just crazy.
Ah too bad you can't hide that ugly thing :(

Yeah it plays like a charm with AIM. Really great.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Another fun fact is, that there is basically no drifting in the menus or lobbys, but during gameplay.

I may be wrong, but I think I tested this, and while there definitely isnt the raised offset off the gun in the lobby, like there is in a match. But I'm pretty sure I still got drift, but not positive.

Oct 26, 2017
What time is the AMA today? I'm going to prepare my wishlist, with "host migration" in caps.

18:00 UK time, apparently.

New post on the @PlayStation blog! Also, we're holding our first @reddit AMA on the r/PSVR subreddit this Friday Sept 14th at 10am PST / 1pm EST / 18:00 UK time! Get your questions ready @r_PSVR @reddit_AMA #PSVR #FirewallZeroHour