• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

A youtuber was playing with the community manager the studio brought on shortly after release who confirmed the team is play testing new maps and and new operators.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
DLC or Microtranactions launching 10/16
"After recently launching to critical and community acclaim, First Contact Entertainment's Firewall Zero Hour is a PS VR exclusive team-based multiplayer shooter you just can't miss. Starting October 16, you can also enjoy a new DLC pack that unlocks new items and skins to customize your character and weapons for a completely new style of play. Purchase today through PlayStation Store."

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/09/playstation-vr-celebrates-second-anniversary-october-13/

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
DLC or Microtranactions launching 10/16
"After recently launching to critical and community acclaim, First Contact Entertainment's Firewall Zero Hour is a PS VR exclusive team-based multiplayer shooter you just can't miss. Starting October 16, you can also enjoy a new DLC pack that unlocks new items and skins to customize your character and weapons for a completely new style of play. Purchase today through PlayStation Store."

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/09/playstation-vr-celebrates-second-anniversary-october-13/

Hopefully not too expensive. Regardless I'll be there! I think I will play some tonight. :)

schwupp

Oct 27, 2017
wow ... sad to see dlc already with the game in such a barren state.

did they say anything about changing the one-round-system? for me its still "waiting - the game" ...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
wow ... sad to see dlc already with the game in such a barren state.

did they say anything about changing the one-round-system? for me its still "waiting - the game" ...

I mean you say sad but everyone else seems happy.

We already know more characters and maps are on the way as well.

Plus it's not like they're working on one thing at a time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Maybe there not comfortable with player numbers, so the longer people are stuck in game then the longer people have to wait?

I do see it as the biggest complaint though

It doesn't even makes sense, like at all.
The game doesn't connects you to a new group of people after a match you play against the same opponents over and over and over again anyway until someone leaves. So there is zero reason to not have a best of 3 or 5, like literally, no logical explanation.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is the best multiplayer I ever played on VR. Remindes me on the old times in rainbow six Vegas.

So good!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The first DLC is out now, together with a new trailer:

Also they have single things for weapon skins, face paints and body skins and also small packages with Facepaints, body skins and weapons skins but it's not clear if they are the same one, because you also have a small package for trinklets but no single trinklets, so it's different? It's confusing.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to buy one of the wep/body camo things. The red one in particular since there isn't really any red camos in the base.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I bought all the packs now and it's indeed the case that the single items are the same as in the packs, so you only need the 5 packages.

Here is a little review for everything since it's a pretty mixed bag.

You have the packages of:

- Weapon Skins
- Trinklets
- Face Colors
- Body Skins
- Badges

The one I can definitely recommend is the weapon skin pack, because that's what gives you the best value.

Every pack has 4 items like this has 4 weapon skins, but the thing that makes it such a good package is the fact that you have these skins for every single weapon unlocked, which isn't the case when you buy skins in-game, there you only unlock them for the one weapon for that you bought it for.

Then as second best package I would recommend the body skins, since you get 4 skins for the upper part of the body and 4 for the pants to have a whole outfit and you can mix them around. But it's still just recolors, no new clothes.

Then I would say the trinklets, again 4, 3 Smiley's with a slightly different emotion and the poop emoticon as only different trinklet, which is pretty awesome. The other 3 are okay and it's a bit lame that they are so similar but, it's ok for 1,99€, like I said, everything is a huge mixed bag.

Then on place 4 I would say the face paints.
The clown face paint is pretty cool, the rest again just ok. I have pictures for everything but forgot 2 face paints, maybe I will post them tomorrow but these 2 are pretty lame and not very good to see anyway.

And on place 5, the badges and these are absolute garbage. 4 little tiny white pictures that you get automatically placed on your body.
Way to small, way to simple and blurry, that's not even worth 10 cents, that almost feels like a scam from the developers. That they ask for money for this is kinda nuts. It's so cheap, it kinda makes me angry. :/ (I really don't like them, sorry)

All 5 packages will cost 12,99€ together.
Weapon, body and facepaints packages cost 2,99€ each, the badges and trinklets 1,99€.
I wanted to support them and for that, it was worth it to buy, but quality wise..... for skins that you have to buy with real money and not get for free.... a little bit disappointing and just way to simple. Such simple skins should get added for free in patches and events like in Rainbow Six and they should only sell stuff for real money when they look really special and "kinda" expensive, like when you can see that they really put work into this and not just generated a new camo pallette in 3 minutes and called it a day. But hey, maybe it gets better next time. Price for them, minus the badges, is still kinda ok tho and fair. There is a lot of room for improvement and I just hope it will get a bit more special and better next time.

Weapon Skins plus Trinklets:

i9rbszy.jpg

pRcTxQu.jpg

EZl30y8.jpg

voQMLqz.jpg

Body Skins and Facepaints + Badges in the last 2 pics:

gJZt7pt.jpg

ju9WzqV.jpg

UarclBz.jpg

OsUoXnv.jpg

Tu54Jlw.jpg

Last edited:

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Thanks for the review. I think I'll save my money. Don't really want to say anything about the quality of the dlc...

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's been a few weeks since I have played this game. Spider-man, Astro Bot and Ass. Creed have taken up my time. I want to get back into this. I assume the community is still strong?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.05 is out: https://www.firstcontactent.com/single-post/2018/10/25/Firewall-Zero-Hour---Patch-105-is-live

Hi everyone,

Patch 1.05 is now live! There are a huge amount of bug fixes, updates, and improvements to the game in this Patch. Here are just some of the highlights:

• Addition of option to turn off gun offset

• Addition of option for PS4 Pro users to toggle Anti-Aliasing

• Decreased vignette fade time on smooth turning and sprint

• Recall user's "last played" Contractor when entering matchmaking

• Improvements to map cycling

• Fix to counter the suicide jammer strategy (all deployed equipment self-destructs if the player suicides)

• Challenges extend to Level 10

• Improvements to smoke grenades

• Economy adjustments for Crypto pick-ups, and Crypto awarded to PvE

• Left-handed player improvements: Weapon Skins, Revive Pistol firing offset, Trinket placement

• Misc bug fixes that improves stability and overall quality of life
Thank you all for your patience on the rollout of this Patch.

See you in game, Contractors!

- First Contact Team

Will be playing a few games tonight. Should be noted that while they have give the option to turn off AA on Pro, people have reported that the AA looks way better now than it did before.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
DLC Operator is out and is $5.95.

As far as we can see the new Weapons and the Map are free.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The new map Containment is out and is AMAZING. For the first post-launch map it's a really good indication of how things will be going.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever patch it so you play more than one round before dropping back to the lobby?

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's still playing able to comment on the state of the game?
If you mean whether the game is alive online: no worries. It's quite healthy, steadily growing. A lot of new players came in over the last couple of months.

Patches are arriving slowly but steadily, improvements could be deeper and more often, but the core gameplay is still solid and fun.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's still playing able to comment on the state of the game?

Pretty good. They're showing support and while theres still changes to be made that are highly requested in the community, it's doing good.

Also the latest patch increased exp across the board which is really nice.

They also just implemented a penalty that people who like to leave mid match will hate. If you leave, you lose 1k Crypto.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been really interested in trying this and will pick up a copy this weekend if the demo does anything for me, but one thing concerns me: is there a mode where communication isn't key? I've had so many poor experiences with random players online, so I'm really hesitant about actually using a mic. I'm also usually pretty toasted when I play games, and I hate having to explain why I might have a moment of incompetence. I guess I should've put 420 in my PSN name or something.

I'm also open to playing with any ResetEra members who might be down to show a beginner the ropes this weekend. I don't have an Aim controller yet, but I'm still willing to try out the DS4 controls for the time being.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Me and 2 other friends went all in on buying vr bundles recently with the main driving point being playing Firewall together. It has been a lot of laughs but mostly sessions full of frustration at what could have been. You can tell the game was made with love and when things work it can be a great experience. I have two main issues, one I can live with if the other is fixed. The one I could live with is the fact that you spend more time in the lobby waiting to play the actual game than you do actually playing the damn game. Why in the world they havent made it more round based is insane to me.

The biggest issue by far to me is the drifting issue with the AIM controller. In a game where precision shooting is key it is nearly impossible when you feel yourself holding the controller straight but your in game gun is off by 45 degrees in either direction ruining any sense of realism. If you google search for any type of answers you will be met with endless suggestions. All of them to a very small degree will make you think that maybe something worked but you will be met with the same drifting issues soon after.

We basically just a few minutes ago had enough and decided we are personally done until they can somehow fix this issue. There is no one sure fire solution so there has to be something on the developmental side that can be done. Such a shame to cause this game could really take off but I cant imagine how die hard R6:S players or any fan of tactical shooters would take to this issue. If anything it would make vr seem like a joke.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my friend and I bounced off pretty hard because of the shit Aim controller tracking.

How's the lighting in your rooms? That's a bit factor.

I do get sometimes get AIM drifting but far more not than do.

Also big update coming in the next few weeks (or this week?) based on their blog update.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
How's the lighting in your rooms? That's a bit factor.

I do get sometimes get AIM drifting but far more not than do.

Also big update coming in the next few weeks (or this week?) based on their blog update.
I've followed every tip I could find, Reddit here, elsewhere. Could never get it reliably good, and lightning never seemed to change it much. If they fix tracking I'll be back.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since tracking works fine for most people, you'll wait a long time for them to fix what isn't categorically broken.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so the dev's responded to a post on /r/psvr.

Hi guys, Hess here, CEO of First Contact. Let me address some of these questions. Firstly I want to say don't believe the negative hype, I've been through this entire thread and there is a ton of guesses here that are completely wrong, there is also a few that are right in the money.

We are working on multiple server solutions INCLUDING dedicated servers!! Which solutions we roll out first?, we don't know yet, we are testing them all. Each takes months to code and more months to test so this will be an ongoing and high priority. You will see improvements to the current system as we work on larger replacements. It's expensive and takes a lot of time to get right but we put every penny we make back into the game to make it better.

Maps? We are working on 6 new maps at the moment and the next two will roll out in the next couple months (more on that soon). These maps are incredible, better than anything we've made yet, you're going to love them, and they will all be FREE!

Time between rounds? This one is interesting, I can tell you that data tells us the average play time per player is way over an hour. That's average, and we have a ton of players that play for 2-6 hours at a time. There were many design decisions (and magic code sauce) that allows this to happen WITHOUT people feeling sick. Have you noticed Firewall doesn't make you sick?! So one of those reasons is due to the design of short rounds then going back to the menu for 1 min to "stabilize". It's no accident or bad design that we did that, it has a very specific reason. And it works. This is one of the things we have to do to design for the VR platform. Yes it's different from what your used to but it's for your well being. We know that all people are different and some can handle VR motion much better than others but this was our way to make it comfortable for all. There you go, I gave away a little secret ;)

We are testing out different round times and best of three scenarios now but have to keep the problem of motion sickness in mind when doing so. We may release these features in the private mode first to see how you guys like them. We will see.

Ready up button? It's coming in our next major patch release! Along with a TON of other features including a COMPLETE overhaul to our matchmaking and squads systems and UI!! Also we will be testing out all kinds of new features on our Tuesday game streams, none of which will be announced or promoted, but keep an eye out for lots of Easter eggs big and small, that will be our testing ground ;)

Respawning?? Hell NO! That's not our game, and never will be. If that's your play style then this game is not for you. Firewall is a strategic MP teamwork puzzle shooter. It's about outwitting your opponents not out gunning them. Not adding respawn will not be the end of the game and our company, that's total bs. There are plenty of great games that offer that play style. Go play them and when you want something a little more strategic, come join us in Firewall.

There is a lot more we are working on but I'll talk about that at a different time.

So as you can see we are EXTREMELY busy and 100% dedicated to Firewall and our players!!.

Just because it may seem quiet from us sometimes it doesn't mean we aren't working on improvements and content, it means that's exactly what we ARE doing.

Thanks for your time, patience and support everyone!

Happy to see that Dedicated Servers, Ready up button, 6 maps!!!, and more is being worked on.

All I really want now is just faster progression.

schwupp

Oct 27, 2017
There were many design decisions (and magic code sauce) that allows this to happen WITHOUT people feeling sick. Have you noticed Firewall doesn't make you sick?! So one of those reasons is due to the design of short rounds then going back to the menu for 1 min to "stabilize". It's no accident or bad design that we did that, it has a very specific reason.

really? LOL ... still the design decision which stopped me playing the game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So they only let me play 2 minutes then force me to wait 5 minutes to play again for my own good because they know I will get sick if I'm not completely fucking bored and frustrated?

What an ingenious solution. These guys really are the masters of the new medium.

I couldn't deal with the downtime and stopped playing months ago. I check this thread every few weeks to see if they fixed it yet.

Let me know when they stop making up bullshit excuses and extend the amount of rounds or massively decrease in between round times.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
So they only let me play 2 minutes then force me to wait 5 minutes to play again for my own good because they know I will get sick if I'm not completely fucking bored and frustrated?

What an ingenious solution. These guys really are the masters of the new medium.

I couldn't deal with the downtime and stopped playing months ago. I check this thread every few weeks to see if they fixed it yet.

Let me know when they stop making up bullshit excuses and extend the amount of rounds or massively decrease in between round times.
images

Yeah I'm not gonna disagree

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Do people just leave your games all the time or are you leaving? When I get in once it's a full game I can play many matches with only a minute of respite between rounds.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
When I last played, the timer would reset every time someone joined or left.
Only the last 10 seconds are reset every time when someone drops so close to start, from 60 to 10 the timer just pauses.

The developer promised they are working on a ready button to speed up the waiting time. And solutions for hosts dropping out mid-game, preferably dedicated hosts (peer 2 peer currently). I've stopped playing a while back too, because it increasingly enraged me. But when they fulfill those two promises, I'll sing praise and return.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only reason I stopped playing this game was the ratio gameplay/waiting. For me, the problem is not the waiting itself, but that ratio.
If they could tie 3 games together without going back to the lobby, I would dive in again.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Only the last 10 seconds are reset every time when someone drops so close to start, from 60 to 10 the timer just pauses.

The developer promised they are working on a ready button to speed up the waiting time. And solutions for hosts dropping out mid-game, preferably dedicated hosts (peer 2 peer currently). I've stopped playing a while back too, because it increasingly enraged me. But when they fulfill those two promises, I'll sing praise and return.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of loading in there as well, right?