• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
According to Jake Rodkin, the Switch release of Firewatch is "very close". If you haven't played it, this might be the ideal time to pick it up.

He also shared four new screenshots of the game running on Switch, though keep in mind these went through Twitter so are a little compressed.

0vyfwxQ.jpg

UvwctHo.jpg

X6ZH26V.jpg

QCJ8HGq.jpg

Still such a gorgeous looking game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Jake wants to have this port done before Smash comes out so he can play in peace :D

(also, I guess I gotta get that OT ready for a stealth drop...)

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I know it's a short game and I already have it on PC and PS4, but I love it so much. Will play again on Switch, although I wish I knew how much of my money was going to Camp Santo vs. Valve.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got it on some other platform but never got around to it. Might finally give it a go on Switch.

Jan 29, 2018
I love Firewatch. It'll be tempting to double dip even though I have the PS4 version easily accessible.

The Commentary mode they patched in was really cool too.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of game is it?
Adventure? Walking sim?

I would say a combination of your two named genres. It's not very long. The performance on the PS4 was bad from what I remember so I would warn people to wait for impressions if that type of thing matters to you.

The voice acting and story is well done although it has a pretty polarizing ending.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this game was ok. Great to look at, story was depressing.

Agree on story. But for me I thought this was an incredibly well told tale. I still think about the game, it's ending, motifs and themes to this day since I beat it when it first came out.

Great pick up for switch owners if they are new to Firewatch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What kind of game is it?
Adventure? Walking sim?

A bit of both. You follow the story of 2 characters, the one you play as as well as one you talk to a lot over a walkie-talkie. The story is linear and has no choices or optional endings per se, but there are lots of options as far as dialogue is concerned as well as things to discover in the forest. The forest is open-ended but a bit of a pain in the butt to traverse IMO. It's a great game for about 3-4 hours.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Agree on story. But for me I thought this was an incredibly well told tale. I still think about the game, it's ending, motifs and themes to this day since I beat it when it first came out.

Great pick up for switch owners if they are new to Firewatch.

Yeah they pulled it off well, voice work was phenomenal. Might revisit down the line on Switch depending on the price.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
A bit of both. You follow the story of 2 characters, the one you play as as well as one you talk to a lot over a walkie-talkie. The story is linear and has no choices or optional endings per se, but there are lots of options as far as dialogue is concerned as well as things to discover in the forest. The forest is open-ended but a bit of a pain in the butt to traverse IMO. It's a great game for about 3-4 hours.
Classic Walking Sim. Gone Home-style but with dialogue choices and split into distinct narrative progression chapters that gate locations.
Gotcha, I despised Gone Home but I do think it also depend on the execution on the linear story progression and setting.
Observer is another walking sim that should come out soon on Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The forest is very much limited and gets sectioned off for different sequences/scenes during the game.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Man, I know it's a short game and I already have it on PC and PS4, but I love it so much. Will play again on Switch, although I wish I knew how much of my money was going to Camp Santo vs. Valve.

Panic Software published Firewatch -- they're more well-known for Mac productivity apps (Transmit, Coda, etc).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you still get the photos printed?

I might try to play the game again and get some good shots.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
is Valley of Gods still multiplatform or a PC only release now its owned by Value. if its multiplatform hopefully a switch port will be released.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
is Valley of Gods still multiplatform or a PC only release now its owned by Value. if its multiplatform hopefully a switch port will be released.
I don't think any platforms have ever been revealed for Valley of the Gods, but in their statement when they became part of Valve they implied it wouldn't be exclusive to Steam.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Gotcha, I despised Gone Home but I do think it also depend on the execution on the linear story progression and setting.
Observer is another walking sim that should come out soon on Switch.

I also hated Gone Home, but Firewatch is probably my favorite Indie game ever. I felt like it did a much better job of establishing a narrative and making me feel an emotional connection with these characters. Also you sort of forget it's a walking sim as you play--it's very immersive.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Can you gift eShop games? I'd love to send this game to my sister.

Can you spoiler how? I guess I missed it.

It's not done by foreshadowing or anything but mechanically.

In the start of the game you meet those swimming teens and later that dude on the cliffs that dashes away the moment you approach, it's when I figured this game doesn't have any character models and them meeting at the end would be not really possible, or at least not shown in-game since she didn't have a character model, they were also so much talking about meeting up it had to go this way. This isn't on them in any way it, just happened to be that my speculations came true.

Luckily the game's dialogues between the actors were so good and heartfelt that it didn't really matter much.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
If this port is good, buy this game, people - it's an experience like no one other.

Hope the switch makes the game justice.

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
Despite Valve hiring the team, Firewatch remains a Campo Santo + Panic product. (And I'm really thankful the original Campo team was allowed to continue to work on the game post-Valve.)

FYI, Panic's second game to publish will be Untitled Goose Game, coming next year!

I'm obviously biased, but I think the Switch version of Firewatch is going to be extra special. I hope you all enjoy it!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Oh yeah whatever happened to In the Valley of Gods? I'm assuming it went into permanent Valve Time after the acquisition. Shame.

As to Firewatch, I didn't like the Coen Bros resolution of the main intrigue. The relationship built up over the walkie talkie was second to none though.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they have done some serious reworking of the engine, I'll be surprised if this game doesn't have performance issues.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great, great, great game. Might eventually double dip for a second playthrough.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Unless they have done some serious reworking of the engine, I'll be surprised if this game doesn't have performance issues.
My thoughts exactly. The PS4 version was quite rough at release.
from the announcement way back in ApriL:

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/172620751414/firewatch-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch-when
And for our other players, take note: The optimizations we're doing to Firewatch aren't just for Switch. They're for Firewatch's future as well. For the many people out there who haven't played Firewatch yet, as well as the millions of existing fans who may go back and revisit the game some day, we want the experience to be as good as it can be. We expect to bring the low-level optimizations and tech clean-up we're doing for the Switch to all platforms eventually. That means if things go to plan, we'll see performance improvements on PlayStation 4 (and 4 Pro), Xbox One (and One X), Mac and PC.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Despite Valve hiring the team, Firewatch remains a Campo Santo + Panic product. (And I'm really thankful the original Campo team was allowed to continue to work on the game post-Valve.)

FYI, Panic's second game to publish will be Untitled Goose Game, coming next year!

I'm obviously biased, but I think the Switch version of Firewatch is going to be extra special. I hope you all enjoy it!

I'm indeed looking forward to it!
And untitled goose game looks awesome too !