• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
edit: It clicked, finally 8 hours in!
So, I gave up on meele weapons and I opted for a bow weapon and disassembled my old wepons and upgraded my latest bow wepon.

I'm treating this game more like a lost planet than dragons dogma.

I do see myself going back to meele again , but maybe after a I unlock better items that trap my enemies or become faster???
I get it now , crafting is not just for wepons or armor, and normally you have to hunt twice that beast to get the weapon or the s
armor that looks dope like your favorite monster and honestly , crafting is actually quite fast.

I still, feel that meele weapons are awkward and should let you auto target as you lock on and maybe be more cancelable? just feels off hence i switched to bow for now.

end of edit:

Huge Capcom Fan here,

One of my favorite games of all time is Dragons Dogma.

I don't have PS+ and I bought MHW since Christmas - but never opened it until yesterday.

I'm in my second quest where you hunt an iguana and I'm not feeling the game so much.

Here's a list of things that are turning me off from the game - but If anyone has any tips to make the experience better please let me know.
BTW I wont drop the game- I'm sticking to it , till the end.

Can the camera zoom back even more than the max, will different weapons make it zoom out more ?

MY game is offline but am I really offline?
NPC's or notices everywhere are a bit confusing and I even saw a notification of someone left my
quest party... so I'm really not sure what's going on.

The game loot system is overwhelming and slow to pick up items- And there is this annoying timer (10 seconds) to pick up all
the loot after I beat the boss, which does not allow me to pick up anything and boots me out from the quest quick.

I really didn't like any of the weapons except the slicers - How does demon mode work - at some point it seemed like it was infinite.

Is my Cat a pawn like NPC - Can I make him pick up crap for me- cause I'm not liking how slow these animations are just to loot and loot,
is border line red dead redemption.

I have to constantly sharpen my blade with a soap stone - holding R stick and selecting it but Im not sure how I'm really selecting this.

Can I beat the game by simply selling all the junk I pick up and defeat the last boss with weapons I buy- I really don't feel like crafting and getting into the loot system and all this.

Why is my potion assigned to square - I was hoping that was my attack button, anyway to change this?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
I'm in my second quest where you hunt an iguana and I'm not feeling the game so much.

Oh honey

The game loot system is overwhelming and slow to pick up items- And there is this annoying timer (10 seconds) to pick up all
the loot after I beat the boss, which does not allow me to pick up anything and boots me out from the quest quick.

It is overwhelming and it is slow and the timer is annoying (although I believe they've changed it?)

I have to constantly sharpen my blade with a soap stone - holding R stick and selecting it but Im not sure how I'm really selecting this.

This will get better with better weapons (less need to sharpen) but it takes a while to get there

Can I beat the game by simply selling all the junk I pick up and defeat the last boss with weapons I buy- I really don't feel like crafting and getting into the loot system and all this.

Honestly you don't need to get super deep into crafting to beat the base game

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
You need to loot and not sell and if you don't like to loot or craft then Monster Hunter is not the one for you

May 18, 2018

Time to give it up then. Crafting is what this game is about. I mean, technically you could kill everything with those stater weapons but you'll be in for a loooong ride.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I first started with Unite I didn't like it and forgot about it for a few months.
Then one day I randomly picked it up and became instantly addicted.

Many titles later still loving it.

Maybe it just doesn't click for you and that's fine.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I would say keep at it initially, but if a lot of those aspects are annoy you, then best to sell it.

Despite the sales, the games aren't for everyone.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Also, in order to select things on the radial menu (like sharpening) you need to flick the stick (i.e., push and let the analog return to its neutral position). It's weird but it works.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Too early to make that call. I say keep at it, find yourself a weapon (sounds like it may be dual blades, but keep experimenting), and run a couple of simple hunts to see if you get the hang of it. Also, spend some time in the training room.

Hey- This might be a bit to much to ask - but can try and beat the final boss with the last weapon the smith sells you?
The way I want to play MHW - is by always selling everything at the end of each quest and using that money to buy the newest weapon that the smith sells.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter is one of those games where they have obstinately stuck with obtuse stuff that is bewildering for quite a while when you're starting out. But once you get the cycle down it becomes immensely satisfying, at least for a lot of people.

I strongly recommend playing with friends or online... Monster Hunter is best when you have someone to show you the ropes a bit.

Don't worry too much about money or buying weapons - you need to focus more on monster parts to build the weapons you want. It's really not like a traditional RPG - it's very much about crafting the specific gear and build you want.

In terms of looting the monster - you can only carve about three things out of a monster when you kill it, ample time to do so once the quest ends. Most of your rewards will come after that, though, on the results screen.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I didn't like the demo at all and almost skipped the game.
It all finally clicked when I switched to the ... switch axe (I think?) and then charge blade - both have a system of building up the "alternate" attack mode, which lets you plan out when to use strong attacks. So satisfying.

- Looting and crafting are important parts of the game, you don't level up in the traditional RPG sense so you need stronger weapons to take on stronger enemies and can't simply buy better ones at a decent enough pace (though you will find some better ones for sale).
- I think the cats do pick up stuff, but it's not reliable, so just do it yourself most of the time.
- The game puts you in a shared online session, but you can ignore those people... they won't show up unless you go to the online portions of the game anyway.

But really though, once the game clicks it's really hard to put down.
I still find the crafting/upgrading system overwhelming, but I loved the 100+ hours I put into the game.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe that Monster Hunter, if you're unfamiliar with/new to the series, is a game that needs like a 15-20 hour investment before writing it off if you really want to make sure it doesn't click. Now, I don't blame someone for not wanting to put in that time for something that ultimately may not be for them, but if it does [click] the payoff is so huge that this is a rare instance where I think it's worth the gamble.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Too early to make that call. I say keep at it, find yourself a weapon (sounds like it may be dual blades, but keep experimenting), and run a couple of simple hunts to see if you get the hang of it. Also, spend some time in the training room.
I mean he seems to hate the core of the game which is hunting, carving and crafting to do more hunting, carving and crafting. At least from the sounds of it. For sure keep trying but he just seemed to not like anything the game is about.

Hey- This might be a bit to much to ask - but can try and beat the final boss with the last weapon the smith sells you?
The way I want to play MHW - is by always selling everything at the end of each quest and using that money to buy the newest weapon that the smith sells.
You could, but you'll probably hate yourself for long it would take. The weapons the smithy sells you are so weak compared to what you can craft that the only real use they wind up having is as base weapons to craft other weapons. I really don't think this game is for you.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Got halfway waiting for it to click and it never did. It never gets any less obtuse so if you're not digging it, don't force yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it a few weeks back and I'm not really feeling it either. Mainly because the controls feel a bit too clunky and I don't find the menus very intuitive.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
The main mechanics is there from the start, and they don't change much, but I feel 3 hours isn't nearly enough to grasp the entirely of what the game has to offer. I was 20 hours in when it REALLY clicked.

Oct 29, 2017
To play effectively you need to craft gear for different monsters. If you want to spend the least amount of time crafting, target neutral damage type gear and only upgrade those since it has zero advantages and disadvantages against certain monster types, unlike say, fire armor which will give you an edge against fire monsters but a disadvantage against ice, etc.

3rdDimension

Oct 31, 2017
The 'Radial Dial" menu is your friend and speeds up item selection and usage.

Check out this video to see how you can get a better QOL experience from the game.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

The last boss has a lot of hp with the best weapons you can craft when you fight him and the smith weapons are several tiers below that.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No that absolutely will not happen. You can only buy the beginning and rubbish weapons- anything actually useful needs to be crafted from monster parts. The final monster of the game will need some quite rare materials indeed but by then you're so deep into the gameplay loop that it isn't noticed. But yeah if you don't like the sound of needing to craft all your weapons and armour you're better off dropping it here. The iguana I presume is the Great Jagras and that is nothing in comparison to what you're coming up against 20/30 hours in.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
holy shit, complaining about the characters takes too long to loot on WORLD....

you would have hated everything before world with a passion

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, if you're not willing to engage with the crafting/loot system, you will not enjoy this game. This game is almost 100% about looting and crafting weapons.

I tend to hate crafting in games, but I like the loop here. Monster Hunter is one of those games where I really don't believe it's for everyone, but I do think a lot of people should give it a shot. I also think it's best with friends, but some people enjoy it solo.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely disagree with these "the game is not for you". He hasn't even gotten past the very first small monster--he basically hasn't played the game yet.

Having said that, there IS a barrier to entry/learning curve that you have to be willing to get past. It's maybe even more daunting since even more stuff has been added since launch and can be overwhelming.

Honestly, spend 30-60 minutes watching some beginner guides from Gaijinhunter or Arrekz to get a good grasp on what you need to do. I think some of their videos even have recommended settings, including swapping some buttons for the quick selection wheel.

As for looting, the only looting animations that take time are for skinning/harvesting monsters, mining, and a few special things around each map. Otherwise, you can literally be sprinting and pick up anything else.

For any weapon, if you don't actually look up or learn how to use it (there is a training area), you will not be using it to its fullest potential. Each of the 14 weapons is very unique.

Honestly, for a beginner, try the Lance. You're a tank that can guard and tank most damage, esp with the special guard moves.

Stick with it. I bought Monster Hunter Tri before this one, played it for an hour, then gave up. MHW is more accessible but still requires dedication and you have to be willing to do some research.

The online play IS very convoluted to understand, at first, though, and there's really no getting around that. Mindnumbing decision by Capcom to make you play through the cutscenes, up until you meet the monster, before you can call for help the first time or create a party to go on a hunt.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of those games where it's your jam or it definitely is not. i fall into the latter category but i'm glad MHW is a hit and reached a broader audience

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did take me a while to get into MHW as a newbie to the series, there are a lot of things going on, and definitely playing solo in the first few missions is hard. I'd avoid locking-on for the most part, that makes the camera spin around too much. Getting used to using the camera and tracking the monster are tricky at first. Remember that your character isn't going to just attack the direction the camera is pointing, so don't worry to much about lining up the camera to the monster perfectly all the time.

I'd fire off SOS flares whenever you can. Don't be afraid of multiplayer.

I'd stick with a weapon for a long time before switching. But after several hours and a few dozen hunts, feel free to try something else out. Just don't keep swapping stuff out every couple of hunts, you'll get confused.

Stick with it, it's really daunting at first, but you'll figure out what works for you. A hundred hours in and I'm still adding tactics to my playstyle, don't worry about playing "optimally" from the jump. You don't need to be an expert at the meals system, the buffs system, using consumables, etc. all at once.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I was in the same boat as OP at first, controls felt weirdly stiff and other stuff felt obtuse, and daggers felt good but shallow.

Now hundreds of hours later, I still don't know how to convince someone to just stick with it beyond saying 'it gets better'

it clicks at some point or you quit, up to you if you stick with it. I found other weapons much more satisfying since they force you to learn the pace, daggers are content to let you play like a scrub and get by early on. They have depth too, but you aren't as forced to find it.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't think this game is great for bruteforcing your way through boss battles with the weakest equipment. You will just hate the game more.
Especially when there are later enemies that will knock you out in a couple of hits, even when wearing good armour.

I actually picked this game up in the hopes it would be similar enough to Dragon's Dogma for me to like it.
It's not, it can't be played the same way, but when (if?) you adjust to the gameplay loop it can be just as enjoyable.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yeah, as mentioned, fire SOS flares every chance you get. I played through most of the game with randoms via SOS...ironically enough, because my friends couldn't get into the game :D
The weapons you can purchase are generally shit, except for using as starting points for the ones you craft.

The entire game loop is based around hunting monsters > crafting equipment to hunt stronger monsters > hunting those stronger monsters > crafting equipment to hunt even stronger monsters > etc.
If three monsters into the game you're asking "can I kill the final boss without having to craft everything because I don't like crafting?" then Monster Hunter is probably not for you.
lol, yeah, I just picked up on/addressed that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
No that absolutely will not happen. You can only buy the beginning and rubbish weapons- anything actually useful needs to be crafted from monster parts. The final monster of the game will need some quite rare materials indeed but by then you're so deep into the gameplay loop that it isn't noticed. But yeah if you don't like the sound of needing to craft all your weapons and armour you're better off dropping it here. The iguana I presume is the Great Jagras and that is nothing in comparison to what you're coming up against 20/30 hours in.

Ah - man... I really thought my some NPC's would die and give you their weapon or you could find "good weapons" throught the game....Okay :( I guess I'll craft or learn how to ...

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"BTW I wont drop the game- I'm sticking to it , till the end."

Sorry, but why?

It's ok if you're not into it. Life is too short to grind away on video games (of all things) you don't enjoy.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah - man... I really thought my some NPC's would die and give you their weapon or you could find "good weapons" throught the game....Okay :( I guess I'll craft or learn how to ...
When I first started playing, I wanted to just buy newer, better gear--but honestly, there is a great amount of satisfaction in hunting, crafting, equipping, and fine-tuning all your gear.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have to say, I question your approach simply because you're bringing in preconceived notions. You really shouldn't need to sell anything, money just isn't much of an issue in this game. I'd just stockpile everything, because you will reach a point where you'll stumble into crafting, and it'll click. The crafting tree looks super daunting, but it's not that hard.

As to if you can beat the boss with the weapons the smith sells... I honestly didn't even know you could buy weapons!

BilloExx

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There are several youtube guides and wikis available to ease you into the game , especially later on when you come up against some real nasty monsters where you need special equipment crafted for them.
You havent even scratched the surface thus far.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
People saying the game isn't for you clearly don't play MH. These aren't the type of games that will click in 3 hours or so....I'd recommend giving it a little more time before you put it down.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
MHW was also my first MH game and the start is rough, but after 10h-5? when u start to get comfy with the binds, the interface, the weapon u like most..etc the game is pretty awesome but..i didnt have the complaints u have, it might not be ur thing

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Completely disagree with these "the game is not for you". He hasn't even gotten past the very first small monster--he basically hasn't played the game yet.
Idk man. OP says they don't want to bother with looting and crafting. That's like the core of the game. If farming the same monster(s) several times to upgrade your weapons and armor doesn't appeal to you then Monster Hunter is probably not going to appeal to you.

People saying the game isn't for you clearly don't play MH. These aren't the type of games that will click in 3 hours or so....I'd recommend giving it a little more time before you put it down.
I've got well over 200 hours in World alone, to say nothing of however many hours I've put into the franchise since the start. If someone isn't interested in crafting, there ain't a whole hell of a lot that can be done about that in the franchise.