• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People saying the game isn't for you clearly don't play MH. These aren't the type of games that will click in 3 hours or so....I'd recommend giving it a little more time before you put it down.
They literally say this:
Can I beat the game by simply selling all the junk I pick up and defeat the last boss with weapons I buy- I really don't feel like crafting and getting into the loot system and all this.

They don't seem to be interested in one of the major aspects of this series. "Clearly don't play MH" lol, maybe read the entire OP next time.

SoapSuds

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 5, 2019
3 hours is too quickly to ditch the game. It took me a day or two for it to click with me. Playing online makes the game 100percent better.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man. OP says they don't want to bother with looting and crafting. That's like the core of the game. If farming the same monster(s) several times to upgrade your weapons and armor doesn't appeal to you then Monster Hunter is probably not going to appeal to you.

I'm not that into crafting either. People online with their max-out optimised monster-specifc builds are crazy to me, but I'm 100hrs in HR55 and I basically just insect-glaved Death Stench Beta'd my way there and had lots of fun the whole way. The systems are super deep, but I feel like you can just dip your toe in and still have fun, the mechanics of fighting are strong enough.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
SOS flares are available without PS+ (offline)?
you know how in Final Fantasy 6 there is this button that would auto equip the recommended best gear?
Are there any shortcuts (or automatic options) that MHW provides to make crafting , or equipping the best gear for the hunt your are on?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey- This might be a bit to much to ask - but can try and beat the final boss with the last weapon the smith sells you?
The way I want to play MHW - is by always selling everything at the end of each quest and using that money to buy the newest weapon that the smith sells.

You can but theres really no reason. The crafting isn't insane deep. Put it this way, you could take your loot and go sell it all bit by bit and by a weapon, or you could just walk up to the smithy and see if you can make something better yet or not. The former is actually more of a time sink than the latter.

Pick your fav weapon and upgrade through a non elemental path. If it ever looks like you have spare mats maybe make a second to build an elemental one but that's not even needed really. Trust me that will be less tedious and time consuming than actually selling everything each time and you'll have better gear to top it off. You dont need to go crazy deep on the system at all and it can be basic enough to just scratch the surface of and benefit from it.

If you arent feeling the weapons maybe look at a few vid tutorials for some too. None of the weapons clicked for me until I saw how to actually use the charge blade and learned it for myself. It didn't click for me until I could get a full charged hit in as a counter and drop a huge boss mid attack. It took a while to grow on me and getting better at it was kind of a requirement to finding that but that worked for me

Last edited:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I used to like Monster Hunter and then fell out of it for years then went back into it with World. Yeah it's not for me. There's just too much shit. Feel like you need a PHD. The progress was molasses, I know I was making progress but it didn't feel like it to me. The weapons all felt whatever, didn't really matter which I used they were fine. Just found the repetition to be not very appealing. I played for like 20 hours and still feel like I didn't understand or utilize 1/100th of the mechanics.

Not for me as well. Either I'm getting too old for games like this or this ones just takes it t o the next level vs old entries.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It starts slow and takes a while to get into the groove of things. Keep at it for another couple of hours, and if it still doesn't grab you, just quit.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh it's a slow burn. I don't want you to waste your fucking time, but I would seriously consider giving it another 3 because it'll be worth it if you can get it to click.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read it, but thanks for assuming I guess? Not sure what type of response ur fishing for here...
Really? "People saying the game isn't for you clearly don't play MH" and I'm the one making assumptions? What the actual fuck lmao.

I'm not fishing for anything. They dislike major aspects of the core gameplay loop of Monster Hunter, so you saying people who tell OP the series might be not for them clearly never played said series is ridiculously off base, because it ignores what OP wrote.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
whoo boy i'll try my best here:

Can the camera zoom back even more than the max, will different weapons make it zoom out more ?
I don't think so. You face a lot of huge monsters which justify the camera choice in my opnion. I believe it zooms out/in depending on the environment and if you're in a battle or not

MY game is offline but am I really offline?
NPC's or notices everywhere are a bit confusing and I even saw a notification of someone left my
quest party... so I'm really not sure what's going on.
You're probably online, I'm guessing starting out they had you join a lobby randomly. Not sure how the game starts out. You can opt out of that if you choose

The game loot system is overwhelming and slow to pick up items- And there is this annoying timer (10 seconds) to pick up all
the loot after I beat the boss, which does not allow me to pick up anything and boots me out from the quest quick.

Welcome to monster hunter, but this is actually the best entry point in the series especially for newcomers. God forbid if you tried any of the earlier ones.
When you kill a monster you have 60 seconds to carve the monster. If you cap it(have it fall into a trap and tranquilize it), it's much shorter (10 secs i believe since you can't carve it because its captured) because you automatically carve after the quest is over. It's also more beneficial to cap as you get more carves overall.

I really didn't like any of the weapons except the slicers - How does demon mode work - at some point it seemed like it was infinite.
I'm mainly a Greatsword and Longsword player, but I think demon mode is enabled after you do enough hits on the monster and get the gauge(shown on the screen) up i believe

Is my Cat a pawn like NPC - Can I make him pick up crap for me- cause I'm not liking how slow these animations are just to loot and loot,
is border line red dead redemption.

The cat is your partner for single player and 2 player co-op quests. You can attain those abilites by meeting certain requirements in the game. You'll always be carving and harvesting, it's just an aspect of this game. What it seems like you may be doing wrong is not holding down the gathering button to automatically keep gathering which is making it seem longer. Holding down the button will keep your hunter gathering the item until it depletes.

I have to constantly sharpen my blade with a soap stone - holding R stick and selecting it but Im not sure how I'm really selecting this.

Again another aspect of Monster Hunter is Maintaining sharpness. It is an established mechanic of the game. Attacking monsters will deplete your sharpness like real life so you do have to manage it. You can still attack when the sharpness reduces unless your sword gets dull where every attack will bounce. You can get better weapons and abilities that will upgrade this particular attribute so you don't need to sharpen as often as you progress in the game.

Can I beat the game by simply selling all the junk I pick up and defeat the last boss with weapons I buy- I really don't feel like crafting and getting into the loot system and all this.

No you can not. Crafting Armor and weapons is a huge aspect of monster hunter and always has. Again this title is the best entry point for this as it was way more tedious and arduous in previous titles. It way more manageable now. This game does include a reasonable amount of grinding defeating the same monsters and doing the same quests multiple times until you get all of the parts needed to make armor or a weapon that you want.

Why is my potion assigned to square - I was hoping that was my attack button, anyway to change this?

Square is your cycle menu for items. It's always been. i don't think you can adjust the button mapping with the exception of the shoulder buttons i believe.

Overall it initially sounds like Monster Hunter just isn't for you, but i hope this helps.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a slow start, though arguably MHW is much better on this department than the past games, and also it offers you a ton of options that are certainly overwhelming. You have a lot of weapons to choose from, and a decoration system that probably doesn't make sense at first. If you continue having a problem with this, I think you should check an online guide or something.

Also, while there's grinding, I don't really think it's that bad. You can clear all the main story content with like 2-3 different armors and a few weapon upgrades. However, I think the appeal of the game is that kind of grinding. You fight monsters, you try to find rare materials and you build a lot of cool armors. And repeat. This gameplay loop is probably the reason the game isn't for everyone.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Really? "People saying the game isn't for you clearly don't play MH" and I'm the one making assumptions? What the actual fuck lmao.

I'm not fishing for anything. They dislike major aspects of the core gameplay loop of Monster Hunter, so you saying people who tell OP the series might be not for them clearly never played said series is ridiculously off base, because it ignores what OP wrote.
Really.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the stuff you have issues with can be changed, or you get used to.

But if you don't want to do any of the crafting, then honestly I wouldn't bother with the game, crafting stuff, and the grind to craft stuff is like 90% of game. Haha.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The game loot system is overwhelming and slow to pick up items- And there is this annoying timer (10 seconds) to pick up all
the loot after I beat the boss, which does not allow me to pick up anything and boots me out from the quest quick.
???

The timer is a minute for slaying a large monster, 20 seconds for capturing. You can skip the animation of the monster dying to free up more of that minute.

I really didn't like any of the weapons except the slicers - How does demon mode work - at some point it seemed like it was infinite.
Demon mode is based on stamina. You enter demon mode and the stamina bar starts going down, and you exit demon mode if you run out. Attacking in demon mode does more damage and builds up the demon meter.

By filling up the demon meter to full, you get archdemon mode outside of demon mode until the demon meter hits 0 again. Archdemon mode upgrades your normal attacks and evade to be closer to demon mode.

Monster Hunter is all about using the parts from the monsters you defeat to create and upgrade weapons and armor. The store-bought gear is awful and you should start crafting new armor and upgrading your weapons with monster parts once you start facing tougher monsters.

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you know how in Final Fantasy 6 there is this button that would auto equip the recommended best gear?
Are there any shortcuts (or automatic options) that MHW provides to make crafting , or equipping the best gear for the hunt your are on?
Every monster has different weaknesses, although we should also note there are multiple tiers of ranks. You're playing in Low Rank right now. After a certain point, you hit High Rank and all your Low Rank gear is basically useless because the monsters are that much harder.

There are a lot of guides (again, check gaijinhunter or maybe Arekkz) on great beginner gear sets that can last you a while.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Monster Hunter World has a terrible start.
I remember when I first picked it up and played I was bored out of my mind. It eventually clicked and I spent like 250 hours in it. Incredible game. You don't need to like crafting but it is a necessary evil to play. There are some QOL things that make it easier and faster later in the game.
Btw, I only upgraded my armor a handful of times. You can go a long way with mediocre armor. You will need to grind to get them though. That's unavoidable

Oct 29, 2017
I dumped probably around 20 hours and felt the same way. The game doesnt explain things very well, the crafting system is overwhelming, having all the ingredients except for 1 to craft a new weapon and having to go back out in the world to try and dig it up is annoying. Im all for carrot on a stick design but this game makes the carrot feel very very far away. The grind feels huge and the loot never seemed worth it. I really want to like the game but it feels like it requires much more of a commitment than I'm willing to give.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Generally there isn't a need to worry about the "best gear for a hunt" until late game. For dual blades, it is advisable to make dual blades for different elemental attacking types, as dual blades deal higher elemental damage than other weapons... But this is all just for optimizing damage. You can make do with a pair of dual blades that just have high raw damage and they will serve you well most of the time.

At the box where you change your gear, you can register your current equipment to sets to easily swap different loadouts between hunts. Same for items.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

You are making the game more complicated than it needs to be early on. Seriously, just run around the map, have fun, breathe. Get a feel for the character, go in the training room, choose a weapon, and run around the maps some more. Only do what you're capable of doing.

Every now and then, attack some small monsters or animals. Pretty soon, take a swing at that iguana. Took you a long time? Try again. Beat up that iguana until you're satisfied or bored. If you do it well enough to your satisfaction, use some of his parts to make a new piece of armor, or the entire set.

Don't worry about armor skills and complicated mumbo jumbo, in the beginning the flat defense increase is all that you need to understand about moving on to the next armor and weapon.

Now that you got your new armor and weapon, try the iguana again. You'll find that he's a lot less trouble, he goes down a little quicker, and you hit a little harder. It's time to take on the next challenge, and the process repeats.

We call that Monster Hunter.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I bought monster hunter several times over the years each time I would play a bit longer and get further into the various systems. With World it finally all came together and is one of my favorite games this generation. It's worth sticking with imo but if you aren't feeling it right now try setting it down and come back to it later?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Sounds like you made the exact same journey I did - huge fan of DD, saw another Capcom action RPG, knew it had a big following already, hoped to get your DD fix. Hell, MHW even has the same menu sounds!

Then you found out right away the controls are mapped weirdly, your attacks don't seem to connect, and it's just not a lot of fun in general.

If you manage to make this game work for you, clue me in, but I got extremely bored after a couple hours. Just the control scheme alone is such an obstacle to clicking with the game.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A lot of people will rush to say "Oh you just aren't using the right weapon for you" on any video or most websites but I felt like this game was either you instantly like it or you never will type of game. I bought it on sale to play with a few friends that were begging me to buy it and I ended up putting about 15 hours into it. It never ended up "clicking" for me nor did it really seem to get any better. I could only sit there for so long spending 15 minutes repeating combos on each boss before getting bored and just wanting to play something else.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A lot of people will rush to say "Oh you just aren't using the right weapon for you" on any video or most websites but I felt like this game was either you instantly like it or you never will type of game.
This is definitely not my case.
I didn't like the game at all from the demo, just like when I had tried previous MH demos, and the first couple of hours of the full game were a struggle.

It actually was finding the right weapon that made things click for me. And it was a weapon I had previously tried out, I just wasn't using it correctly before.
I'm glad I stuck with it, but everybody's different. This game simply isn't for everybody, which can be said of any game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you only get low timer on captures, so no looting the monster possible. Kills give longer timer.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

You should stop wasting your time on this game and play something else since looting and crafting is the core of MH. If you're not into this then this game isn't for you.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
If it's an option, try playing with a friend/friends, that's where MH really shines and it helps to have someone who can teach you about stuff. I found MH super hard to get into myself, I put 30 hours into Tri and then gave up, and it was only trying P3rd much later that finally made it click for me. So, I'd say give it more of a shot, but if you're expecting MH to be something it's not I don't think you will get much out of it.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I am finding it hard to go back to the MH formula but I will say that I loved MHW (48 hours in this kind of game for someone like me is a lot of hours) and I bought the expansion totally forgetting that I wasn't done with the base game...

Still, out of all the MH games, this has been, by far, the most accessible entry.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you get the armorcharm and powercharm from the supply dude in the main area. It'll make you feel more powerful in the earlier stages of the game.

Also as far as weapon sharpening goes, you'll be able to craft more durable weapons as you progress through the game. It's a slow burn but once you get going MHW is a blast and this is coming from someone who couldn't get into any of the handheld titles.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The basic crafting in Mon Hun is super simple though.

Can I make thing? -> No -> Check to see what you need to kill to make thing -> Kill monster that has material to make thing -> Can I make thing?

Rinse and repeat. I generally dislike crafting in games, but its so freaking basic in MH that it's no big deal.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey- This might be a bit to much to ask - but can try and beat the final boss with the last weapon the smith sells you?
The way I want to play MHW - is by always selling everything at the end of each quest and using that money to buy the newest weapon that the smith sells.
I'm pretty much a Monster Hunter evangelist, but if you aren't fine crafting armor and weapons from monster parts then you aren't ever gonna like Monster Hunter. That's the entire loop. Kill monster to get parts to make new weapons/armor to kill monster faster or kill new monster.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
MH is not for everyone, i'm not a huge fan because i got bored pretty quickly on a game where the only thing do you do is kill huge and uninspired beast, create things and repeat for a lot of hours.

You're not alone OP.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours is a long time to put in any game that's not clicking with you
It really is.

I didn't like the game at all. But I had bought it with the Wii Pro Controller (Tri) and I felt like I needed to justify my purchase so I just powered through.

Somewhere around hour 10 it all came together, and now it's one of my favorite franchises. But 10 hours is a big ask.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can the camera zoom back even more than the max, will different weapons make it zoom out more ?

In order:

No, though if you were to ever try MHW on PC, you could get camera mods that allow you to manipulate the height and distance of the near/far camera settings.
unknown.png

Demon Mode drains your stamina, so stamina-consuming movement like dashes will bring you out of Demon Mode faster. While you're in Demon Mode you build a gauge under your stamina bar that looks like a red sword. When you naturally fall out of Demon Mode, this second gauge represents the time you have left in your new "Archdemon" mode, which gives you a few extra (But not as good) actions from Demon Mode. You'll constantly want to be going into demon mode at every chance you get.

As an aside, you really should go back to the training area and fiddle with those weapons more because I get the feeling you missed a lot on your initial run through of all those weapons. I only bring this up because the Hunter's Notes (Which you can find in your start menu and features some information on all the weapons in the game) would've covered your question. Monster Hunter's weapons have a ton of nuance to them that the Hunter's Notes may help draw your attention towards.

The final boss took me 30 minutes straight on my first clear with a well upgraded bow to try to exploit his elemental weakness. I sincerely doubt you're going to beat the timer with a base weapon. If you literally just want to power through the content, stick to the iron ore line of weapons which require minimal mineral farming to stay on top of. Armor is a little more complicated - You're not going to be able to make any focused, optimal sets for a while, but you should still check in after every hunt to see what new armor sets unlocked that could have perks that synergize well with your weapon/play style

Heeeeeck no. It may not look like it right now, but there's way too many variables in character builds to offer a simple, objective "This has the best attack and defense values" for a hunt-to-hunt basis. Your best bet is to just keep a MHW wiki open and verify what kind of elemental/status effects a monster brings with it and adjust your build to compensate.

Feb 21, 2019
Honestly, I think you may want to give it some more time. It took me quite awhile for it to finally click, but once it did....oh man.

Maybe play through Anjurnath (sp). If by then its just not working for you, then yeah, might be time to look for something else to play.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
This OP basically reads like my complaint list as well. I tried, I really did. Made it probably 5-6 hours, and just couldn't do it anymore.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
You should stop wasting your time on this game and play something else since looting and crafting is the core of MH. If you're not into this then this game isn't for you.

yeah, this. what's up with all the 'op hasn't played long enough'? if the op clearly states that they don't want to craft weapons, monster hunter is definitely not for them. it doesn't matter how long they play. matter of fact, if they refuse to craft, things'll only get worse the longer they play...

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, this. what's up with all the 'op hasn't played long enough'? if the op clearly states that they don't want to craft weapons, monster hunter is definitely not for them. it doesn't matter how long they play. matter of fact, if they refuse to craft, things'll only get worse the longer they play...

At this point in the game when he wrote his post, he's done a movement tutorial, got a tour through the village, did two small monster tutorial hunts, and only just brushed up against the first real "Boss" in the game. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he hasn't had much opportunity to engage with the crafting system or all the other systems that exist to support it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

All other points in the OP can be solved or sidestepped, but if you don't like crafting, I don't think you'll enjoy MH. It's pretty much Farming and Crafting: The Game.