• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here's more, courtesy of recode: https://www.recode.net/2017/10/31/1...congress-facebook-twitter-google-tech-hearing

Screen_Shot_2017_10_31_at_4.21.09_PM.0.png
This tweet depicts a Photoshopped image of actor and comedian Aziz Ansari encouraging voters to submit their vote for president via Twitter, which is not a legitimate way to vote in a U.S. election. Sen. Richard Blumenthal called it "a deliberate misleading of people." Twitter says it took down this tweet, "and all other tweets like it," but could not say how many people may have tried to vote via Twitter.
Good grief.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should be obvious that Russia's goals are not pro-Trump per se, but rather pro-creating disorder in America, which supporting Trump happened to further. They took ads out for anything and everything on all sides of arguments to divide people.
Why do you think that Russia was only specifically attacking one person and promoting her opponents?

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
jesus.png

LOL THis made me laugh.

"Had proved"? No American would ever type that! I wonder how many right-wing viewers of this ad stopped to wonder why it was using British English...I mean, the whole thing sounds awkward and not like something an American (even a stupid or crazy American) would write. "Godly moral principles" sounds far too old-fashioned to be written by anyone with social media experience.

/LinguisticsNerd

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those tweet to vote ads are particularly nefarious. I have no doubt, regardless of whether actual machines were hacked, that part of the actual interference was in designing ways to get people to stay home.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Had proved"? No American would ever type that! I wonder how many right-wing viewers of this ad stopped to wonder why it was using British English...I mean, the whole thing sounds awkward and not like something an American (even a stupid or crazy American) would write. "Godly moral principles" sounds far too old-fashioned to be written by anyone with social media experience.

/LinguisticsNerd
I loved when someone on twitter (who sadly had to go private to avoid issues after) called out a Russian-run account after they used "Vakay" instead of "Vacay."

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those tweet to vote ads are particularly nefarious. I have no doubt, regardless of whether actual machines were hacked, that part of the actual interference was in designing ways to get people to stay home.
I remember hearing about those ads going around en masse around election day.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I was listening to the daily podcast this morning and they were talking about it. Apparently the reason they don't have to follow the same regulations as say CNN or ABC news is because they don't claim to be a media company, but a tech company that just hosts media such as news. Sounds like Washington isn't happy and are trying to nail them if possible. Under current regulation though it doesn't seem possible.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
They wanted Trump elected, specifically, because electing Trump would be (and was) the most damaging end result for the country.

I'm not arguing at all that they aren't anti-Clinton, which seems to be words others are putting in my mouth. But if their goals were simply anti-Clinton, then they could've backed any other GOP candidate. Instead they focused on Trump specifically.
They backed trump because it was clearly pro Russia which is why they didn't back other GOP candidates or Hillary Clinton. Trump backed policies that Russia wanted such as removal of sanctions and having Ukraine issues removed from the GOP platform etc

Backing trump had nothing to do with creating chaos.
I definitely don't think Trump was at all unwitting to this, and I'm confident he and his campaign worked directly with Russia because his getting elected was in their mutual self-interest. But now that Trump is elected, it seems clear that the Russians don't have any qualms against running propaganda against him purely to create discord, hence the fake BLM and antifa accounts.

Essentially, I think getting Trump elected was a means to an end for Russia rather than the desired end in and of itself.
????? The fake BLM and antifa accounts we're to help trump as well. They purposely stoked racial tensions to drive whites away from Clinton.

Why do you think these accounts made inflammatory remarks to make the BLM protesters look bad?

Oct 27, 2017
Al Franken grilling the Facebook dude over their inability to connect two dots, political ads paid for in rubels, reflects my disbelief.

Franken asked irately: "How did Facebook, which prides itself on being able to process billions of data points and instantly transform them into personal connections for its users, somehow not make the connection that electoral ads paid for in roubles were coming from Russia? Those are two data points! American political ads and Russian money: roubles. How could you not connect those two dots?"

Buff Bernie makes for a good avatar.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Al Franken grilling the Facebook dude over their inability to connect two dots, political ads paid for in rubels, reflects my disbelief.

Buff Bernie makes for a good avatar.
In this case, the refusal to connect the dots actually has an implication that someone else is attempting to do that. (aka Mueller's team.)

The House/Senate committees have been way behind the internal investigation.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the Bernie image.

But seriously, this stuff is crazy...and this is just the beginning. Trump's administration is soaked in scrutiny.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
???? It's incredibly obvious they are pro trump and anti hilllary. All of the ads shown support that. They created a sophisticated campaign to get him elected and this just furthers the evidence for that.

They don't give a fuck about Trump beyond the fact that he's a big idiot who might be useful for them. They only care about destabilizing the United States and reducing its influence.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
The american public is apparentely so stupid the russians didn't even have to try going by these ads

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't give a fuck about Trump beyond the fact that he's a big idiot who might be useful for them. They only care about destabilizing the United States and reducing its influence.
This isn't quite true, the reason they pushed Trump is because they've had their tendrils in him for eons prior to the election cycle. Manafort lived at Trump Tower for a decade, Trump's shady money laundering connections go back to the '80s. And they absolutely loathed Hillary.

Both things are true in this case.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't buy this at all. If we want to understand how this happened and prevent it from happening in the future we need to actually address what they were doing. Which is getting trump elected.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't buy that one of Russia's goals is it to create divisions in American society? They've been working towards this since the cold war. They were involved in the civil rights movement, for example.

This isn't quite true, the reason they pushed Trump is because they've had their tendrils in him for eons prior to the election cycle. Manafort lived at Trump Tower for a decade, Trump's shady money laundering connections go back to the '80s. And they absolutely loathed Hillary.

Both things are true in this case.

Yeah, maybe I phrased that incorrectly. He was definitely identified as an asset and vastly preferable to have in office than Hillary, but their goals were not and are not contingent on him being president. The longer he stays in office, the better for them, of course.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I laughed out loud when I saw this on Twitter as part of the things that were released during the hearing today

DNkccV9XkAEYnK5.jpg:large

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna play a bit of devil advocate's here, I think there's some karma here, USA has a LONG history of messing with other countries, going as far as orchestrating Coup d'Ă©tats. A small taste of their own medicine.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm not trying to undermine the impact of social media, but isn't it a little far reaching to assume that all of America gets their news/information from Facebook? And how much political ad money was spent by American companies/candidates on Facebook ads? Also, are people trying to say that Hilary would have won the election had it not been for this Russian ad campaign? I'm just trying to find some clarity on these issues.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Russian Facebook page organized a protest in Texas. A different Russian page launched the counter-protest. (Texas Tribune)
Facebook_Russia.jpg

Federal lawmakers on Wednesday released samples of 3,000 Facebook ads purchased by Russian operatives during the 2016 presidential campaign. The ads conveyed the wide range of influence Russian-linked groups tried to enact on Americans – but one set of ads in particular hit close to home.

Last year, two Russian Facebook pages organized dueling rallies in front of the Islamic Da'wah Center of Houston, according to information released by U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, a North Carolina Republican.

Heart of Texas, a Russian-controlled Facebook group that promoted Texas secession, leaned into an image of the state as a land of guns and barbecue and amassed hundreds of thousands of followers. One of their ads on Facebook announced a noon rally on May 21, 2016 to "Stop Islamification of Texas."

A separate Russian-sponsored group, United Muslims of America, advertised a "Save Islamic Knowledge" rally for the same place and time.

On that day, protesters organized by the two groups showed up on Travis Street in downtown Houston, a scene that appeared on its face to be a protest and a counterprotest. Interactions between the two groups eventually escalated into confrontation and verbal attacks.

Burr, the committee's chairman, unveiled the ads at a hearing Wednesday morning and said Russians managed to pit Texans against each other for the bargain price of $200.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna play a bit of devil advocate's here, I think there's some karma here, USA has a LONG history of messing with other countries, going as far as orchestrating Coup d'Ă©tats. A small taste of their own medicine.

Karma isn't real to find some sort of pleasure in seeing the USA get some *come up ins* is silly considering the destabilization of America is hurting other countries and everyone suffers from it.

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to the daily podcast this morning and they were talking about it. Apparently the reason they don't have to follow the same regulations as say CNN or ABC news is because they don't claim to be a media company, but a tech company that just hosts media such as news. Sounds like Washington isn't happy and are trying to nail them if possible. Under current regulation though it doesn't seem possible.

This isn't just with ads, it's what every big tech company does. Airbnb and Uber have been notorious for this as wats to skirt regulation.

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
The user was warned for this post for making unnecessarily antagonizing comments.
Karma isn't real to find some sort of pleasure in seeing the USA get some *come up ins* is silly considering the destabilization of America is hurting other countries and everyone suffers from it.

I'm sorry but the US made destabilization of countries a sport. Imagine waking up to find your elected president was murdered because the US didn't like him, seeing your resources exploited at gunpoint or your country invaded simply because the US don't agree with the politics you chose for your government.

Morons on the street and a moron in the oval office is a small price to pay, I'd wager.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not trying to undermine the impact of social media, but isn't it a little far reaching to assume that all of America gets their news/information from Facebook? And how much political ad money was spent by American companies/candidates on Facebook ads? Also, are people trying to say that Hilary would have won the election had it not been for this Russian ad campaign? I'm just trying to find some clarity on these issues.
You do understand exactly how many people are on Facebook additionally Facebook has tools that allows for fully targeted ads based on race gender and political leanings. Any information you put on your profile they can use it for targeted ads.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I'm sorry but the US made destabilization of countries a sport. Imagine waking up to find your elected president was murdered because the US didn't like him, seeing your resources exploited at gunpoint or your country invaded simply because the US don't agree with the politics you chose for your government.

Morons on the street and a moron in the oval office is a small price to pay, I'd wager.
While you're not wrong about American interference being a huge factor around the world over the past century, this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You can enjoy your Schadenfreude without antagonizing people in this thread for no apparent reason.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
it's more surprising that people didn't think it was possible for a government to flip the script on us like this

alot of people out there really thinking foreign countries using some stick and stones to deal with America

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They backed trump because it was clearly pro Russia which is why they didn't back other GOP candidates or Hillary Clinton. Trump backed policies that Russia wanted such as removal of sanctions and having Ukraine issues removed from the GOP platform etc

Backing trump had nothing to do with creating chaos.

Now the question is why does Trump even back policies that are very pro Russia to begin with. Hmmm

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
While you're not wrong about American interference being a huge factor around the world over the past century, this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You can enjoy your Schadenfreude without antagonizing people in this thread for no apparent reason.

Unless he's Donald Trump, I'm not antagonizing anyone. I simply made my point more clear, but you're right that it has nothing to do with the discussion so I'll just enjoy my schadenfreude in the corner.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017

Russian interference and this thread have nothing to do with your post.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that jesus one is blowing my mind, people dont seriously buy into that stuff right?

are there honestly people out there that create some kind of link between Hillary and Satan in their heads?

"trump is an honest man who cares deeply for this country" lmao
This is a very popular opinion among fundamentalists.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
The easiest jobs in the intelligence services of adversarial nations must be those in the "United States Section". The sheer ubiquity of American culture means that the political, economic, demographic, and other societal fissures are laid bare for all to see and exploit so very easily.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing that Jesus vs Satan one a lot on my FB feed from family members.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
World powers are using memes to influence the political climate of other powers.

What a time to be a live. Truly, this is the best timeline.