• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
You don't buy that one of Russia's goals is it to create divisions in American society? They've been working towards this since the cold war. They were involved in the civil rights movement, for example.

Yeah, maybe I phrased that incorrectly. He was definitely identified as an asset and vastly preferable to have in office than Hillary, but their goals were not and are not contingent on him being president. The longer he stays in office, the better for them, of course.
I completely agree that they have a goal of destabilizing the United States but I'm also saying that it is disingenuous to claim that Is what the election interference was about. The entire election campaign had one main goal in mind. Which was getting trump elected.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
It goes much further than Facebook ads. You couldn't even watch a video about Hillary, without scrolling down and seeing tons of sickening comments about her, all upvoted to the top by bot accounts. Just about every facet of social media was attacked.

Last edited:

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna play a bit of devil advocate's here, I think there's some karma here, USA has a LONG history of messing with other countries, going as far as orchestrating Coup d'états. A small taste of their own medicine.

You surely understand that the damage Trump is causing isn't constrained solely to the USA? Take, for example, the scuttling of the TPP - that's a drastic amount of foregone growth in several poorer countries that would have lifted many out of poverty, not to mention shifting the distribution of geopolitical power in a way that's unfavourable not just to American interests, but those of most countries in the region.

And that's just one example. You can sit there luxuriating in schadenfreude (though it's certainly misguided to do so), but let's not pretend this affects only Americans.

On-topic: as a non-American who followed the election closely and Hillary in particular (she was the favoured candidate of my [relevant] academic discipline): it was abundantly clear even in the primary days that something very suspicious was going on. I'm glad it's starting to come to light.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
How gullible do you have to be, in order to get dissuaded by those shitty ads.

Last edited:

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It should be obvious that Russia's goals are not pro-Trump per se, but rather pro-creating disorder in America, which supporting Trump happened to further. They took ads out for anything and everything on all sides of arguments to divide people.

I disagree. Russia clearly wanted Trump to win and I think it's pretty obvious. Most of the shit you see in these ads is anti Hillary, and even tries to make Trump... Donald fucking grab them by the pussy Trump look like he is god's chosen one. And of course, the religious right bought that shit.

Zuckerberg and Dorsey should be held accountable for this.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that surprises me the most was how little traction most of them got. I expected them to be a hell of a lot bigger

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Trying to get the Fucking Moron-in-Chief elected and creating political destabilization in the United States are not mutually exclusive things to the Kremlin.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Never saw any of those. Kind of disappointed russia didn't target me! Maybe they knew I already didn't like Hillary. :P

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is some heinous shit, they tried to organise some hate rally against Muslims in Texas and at the same time a Muslim counter protest, to spark an incident. They're trying to cause real world violence with these ads.

DNk7iV7UIAA1FGJ.jpg:large

They're always trying to rile people up against black folk too.

Just crazy that Russia can do anything right now to America, and they seem to have a free pass.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This shit is so fucked. So many people controlled by Russian higher ups with just a few dollars in Facebook advertisements. They sure know how to push people's buttons.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
i have recently decided to keep my Facebook activity to a bare minimum and only use the Messenger fo communicating with relatives.

i am so discusted by that size and scope of this fuckery

Fuck the Zuch

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have recently decided to keep my Facebook activity to a bare minimum and only use the Messenger fo communicating with relatives.

i am so discusted by that size and scope of this fuckery

Fuck the Zuch
This is how I've been using it for eons. It's great as a communications tool, great for life status updates, terrible to use as a social group medium.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anybody else already did it, but I was curious about the click through rates.

Pro BLM: 6%
Anti BLM: 23%
Bernie: 6%
Jesus: 20%

edit: the ones not in OP:

Trump is not my president: 14%
Sanders says clinton foundation a problem: 11%
Teaching kids about guns: 0.7% (Instagram)
Get ready to secede (texas): 14%
Veterans casket: 3% (instagram)

Instagram seems like an outlier (don't have liberal instagram ads to compare), but generally the conservative-targeting ads get more clicks.

Last edited:

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of facebook shit like this, my brother in law went from a totally rational person to someone who lost all critical thinking skills after being fed this shit from his co workers sharing it non-stop.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the poorly educated!

Best part is he follows right after with "We're the smartest people!" looool

You laugh, but it was this ability to connect with the lower class that contributed to him winning the election. Liberals often quote the first part, as it seems he's mocking the uneducated, without paying attention to how he endears himself to that crowd with the very next remark.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's not so surprising if you have seen the documentary Hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis.

Part of it shows that they use the same technique in russian politics, sponsoring both anti and pro groups, both the extreme left and right, etc just to create division. You should all read up on Vladislav Surkov, he is the creator of this divide and conquer technique.

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...thor-putinism-russia-vladislav-surkov/382489/

A small quote:

With a flourish he sponsored lavish arts festivals for the most provocative modern artists in Moscow, then supported Orthodox fundamentalists, dressed all in black and carrying crosses, who in turn attacked the modern-art exhibitions. The Kremlin's idea is to own all forms of political discourse, to not let any independent movements develop outside of its walls. Its Moscow can feel like an oligarchy in the morning and a democracy in the afternoon, a monarchy for dinner and a totalitarian state by bedtime.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

And look to figureheads on the far right AND left who seemed to act strangely when it came to Russia.

Here's lookin at you, Jill Stein.
You can see more or less the same phenomenon in european politics. The fringe right and left parties are either in love with Putins ruthlessness, power, whathaveyou (right) or are portraying Russia as this misunderstood, threatened beast just trying to cope with NATO's unfair (lol) expansion and ... oh... why don't we talk about the evils of NEOLIBERALISM and AMERICAN IMPERIALISM instead (left) ?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna play a bit of devil advocate's here, I think there's some karma here, USA has a LONG history of messing with other countries, going as far as orchestrating Coup d'états. A small taste of their own medicine.
Im not american, but someone doing something wrong doesnt mean its ok for another to do something wrong aswell.

Thats why we are all in this situation now, nd yes I say all because this is affecting the whole world. Heck, that excuse has been used by other politicians in other part of the world and everyone that uses it are in the wrong.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the most discouraging thing I've seen. Of all countries, it seems American public would be the most capable of being effected by this type of targeting. Easy to believe, but unbelievable at the same time.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

No lessons will be gleaned from this. The only winner here will be Russia. The rest of the world ain't gonna benefit.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Adds like these and all the fake profiles I would see posting them is what drove me to disable my Facebook.

I reported so many profiles with no personal photos and just memes like these who would troll news articles. Everytime Facebook would respond they don't violate the terms of service. Even when they would post racist comments Facebook always responded they don't violate the terms of service.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just read about this.

Also saw a lil article about the Senate IC and a Republican said 'Its not about winning n losing, etc etc.' speaking to FB, Google and others about Russian ads. It feels good to hear some Republicans say this. Hopefully more do. And more say that about whats going on these days with the investigation.

Pretty much. It was a free bonus that Trump also happens to be exponentially increasing the divide since becoming the president. They are probably loving the fact that Trump with his tweets is more divisive after becoming president than their entire ad campaign.

All ads? Surely not. There are tons of actual reasons why foreign countries would wish to advertise in a different country. Tourism, exported products, sports, music, arts etc etc.

Political ads? maybe.

I agree, because that treads dangerously close to some of the things intelligence agency's do to destabilize countries....

Basically what seems to be happening to America.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recall seeing that Blacktivist page in the past. America purposely undereducating their population came back to bite us. Some of these ads scream fake.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
How gullible do you have to be, in order to get dissuaded by those shitty ads.
Pretty damn, but that's the way of things. Go to an average American's Facebook page and you can see how she educates herself with memes. Just this week I saw someone unironically share this post, and generate two dozens likes and amazed responses:
a542607e-0664-4b79-a0gsg7.jpeg

Many people have absolutely 0 media literacy. Many people lack crucial critical thinking skills. Some days I am amazed at how advanced our civilizations can be be, despite our individual stupidity.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think what people need to realize is that Russia is willing to have their trolls pose as whatever to sow discord in America.

In fact I would venture a guess right now that the problem is no longer Russian trolls pretending to be Trump supporters, because a Trump supporter is just going to be viewed as a trump supporter.

No instead I would say that the Russian trolls, as well as some Alt-right people, are posing as anti-democrat bernie fans trying to discourage Progressives from supporting democrats because that will have a much more likely chance of influencing people.

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook was already a cesspool as it was, but this puts things on a whole other level.

An outside country literally bought ads to influence the outcome of a US election.

Damn.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You laugh, but it was this ability to connect with the lower class that contributed to him winning the election. Liberals often quote the first part, as it seems he's mocking the uneducated, without paying attention to how he endears himself to that crowd with the very next remark.

I laugh because of how ridiculous it all was, and yes, at how it somehow worked.