• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Currently sitting at 100% Fresh after 32 reviews.

Scorsese's return to the gangster milieu is anything but a greatest-hits compilation from a filmmaker in his autumn years; as a storyteller and a crafter of images, he remains as bold and as provocative as ever.

The Irishman confirms [Scorsese] as one of the greatest living, though still largely unsung, comedy directors, and De Niro as one of the great scene-stealing straight men in movies.

The Irishman is so layered with detail, and shifts so gracefully through so many eras, that it's hard to tease out a clearly defined plot. Even so, the movie is beautifully constructed-you willingly follow wherever it goes.

Well, chug a 5-hour Energy, because the terrific "Irishman" deserves your full, un-fatigued attention.

Scorsese knows his audience and reputation so well that the film constantly plays with, and defies, expectations.

There's an almost meta-maturity, as if Scorsese is also looking back on his own career, the film leaving us with a haunting reminder not to glamorise violent men and the wreckage they leave behind.

It's pretty nimble for such a behemoth and can be extremely funny; Pacino is just a scenery-chewing riot as Hoffa.

The Irishman feels like an epilogue to Scorsese's storied career - but it also makes clear that Marty is far from being obsolete.

Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman" is a coldly enthralling, long-form knockout - a majestic Mob epic with ice in its veins.

September 28, 2019
A monument is a complicated thing. This one is big and solid - and also surprisingly, surpassingly delicate.

This is the Scorsese of Silence, patient and methodical, and it brings out a subtle agony from De Niro one might have assumed the actor could no longer summon.

September 28, 2019
A highly ambitious crime epic from a dream team delivering standout work all around. De Niro, Pacino & Pesci are phenomenal as is the work of editor Thelma Schoonmaker who makes a story that spans decades and clocks in at a whopping 209 minutes seamless.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
between this, 2 Popes and Marriage Story, seems Netflix could have some heavy hitters soon.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
goddamn

cut a better trailer, studio dingii

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If even the critics can look past the questionable aging effects, then this should be damn good.

I can't wait.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
HugeZealousGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

Was a bit scared there for a second.

I still need to watch Silence

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty interesting that we are getting this and Joker released so close together. You have the master himself looking back and exploring his legacy with The Irishman while Phillips seeks to replicate Scorsese's style in a comic book movie.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How can someone be as good as Martin Scorsese? Is such a thing possible?

I however wished he made it a limited series on Netflix instead. But I guess they all wanted that Oscar buzz and 'ol movie showbiz feel.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that we are getting so many top tier movies this year on Netflix. Saving so much money not having to go the theaters.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty interesting that we are getting this and Joker released so close together. You have the master himself looking back and exploring his legacy with The Irishman while Phillips seeks to replicate Scorsese's style in a comic book movie.
I could help but think the same thing while reading this quote: "There's an almost meta-maturity, as if Scorsese is also looking back on his own career, the film leaving us with a haunting reminder not to glamorise violent men and the wreckage they leave behind."

Makes me wonder what Scorsese thinks about the Joker movie and why he turned down producing it like they wanted him to.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I remember a time when people were gleefully claiming Disney + was going to kill off Netflix. Can't wait for this one and Marriage Story.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just the film, it is like 25$ if you're a member.

Glen Ellyn Art theater out in the Burbs had Roma for a month, so I'm counting on it being my reasonable price buy in.

I'm a 10 minute walk from TMB so I was hoping for that. Guess I'll have to wait closer to release and cross my fingers for a reasonably priced viewing.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's such a crime not bringing such movies to theaters(Roma included).

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
The man have been making incredible movies for almost 50 years. Holy shit. And looking at his IMDB page, he's not planning to stop anytime soon. Easily my most anticipated movie release in recent years. Shame it won't be in theaters in my country.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance it'll hit Boston? I just moved here so I'm not familiar yet with local theaters to know if any of them get limited releases like this.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
He never left. His last movie was one of his best
Preach. You'd never think a three hour, dour film about the persecution of Jesuit priests in Japan could be so rewatchable. I've seen it five times already.

Easily Marty's best since Aviator and one of the best of the decade by far.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
99% sure I'll see this

The 1% is me fucking gasping at thinking of when on my schedule I'll be able to have successfully planned having the freedom to see a 3.5 hour film because holy shit this is 3.5 hours

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'm really shocked, I completely expected this to be a huge dud and self indulgent stinker based on how much money was spent. Well done by all involved, can't wait to see it.