• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know how much they had to rewrite to be fit for human consumption ?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've never read it because the older I get, I find I have less tolerance for Ennis and Millar's more...."shocking" stories. Shock value for shock value's sake.

The trailer looks good though, so maybe I'll read it.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I've never read it because the older I get, I find I have less tolerance for Ennis and Millar's more...."shocking" stories. Shock value for shock value's sake.
The Boys and The Crossing aren't shocking. I honestly can't think of an English word to describe them.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The trailer looks good though, so maybe I'll read it.
I feel this way. I know very little about this. Quick trailer was intriguing though.

Wait the fish dude isn't inside and old time diver suit?

TRASH ADAPTATION!

I actually think that cutting around the shock and explicit stuff is possible, like the "batman" and "robin" side story from the start of the run is not needed or the full of herogasm.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
for better or for worse that looks faithful and fun. i trust the rogen/goldberg production duo to do something fun.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the fish dude isn't inside and old time diver suit?

TRASH ADAPTATION!

I actually think that cutting around the shock and explicit stuff is possible, like the "batman" and "robin" side story from the start of the run is not needed or the full of herogasm.
It would be an interesting story, one done a thousand times before but interesting but the edgelord shit really holds it back.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know anything about this but it looks really cool. Might check out the comic.
Ever wanted to see superheroes have an ernest conversation on if cutting coke with the menstrual fluid of a superheroine enhances the drug or not? The Boyz is for you

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I read early parts of this last year. They're gonna have to alter a lot because it feels like it's extremely in sync with the alt right. I don't think I've eye rolled so hard in my life as I did at the introduction of the shitty main "hard ass" character.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Ever wanted to see superheroes have an ernest conversation on if cutting coke with the menstrual fluid of a superheroine enhances the drug or not? The Boyz is for you
its not like I wasn't curious back then, but I was also reading Bomb Queen at the time so I was going through a lot of stuff internally.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I read early parts of this last year. They're gonna have to alter a lot because it feels like it's extremely in sync with the alt right. I don't think I've eye rolled so hard in my life as I did at the introduction of the shitty main "hard ass" character.
Alt right as in it's full of young white male anger?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Boys didn't do much for me. None of the heart Ennis put in Preacher. It's just mean and bitter.

While I didn't get on with the Preacher TV show, I wonder if Rogen will actually change The Boys for the better. The very basic concept could be interesting, if handled well.

Who am I kidding?

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that whole schtick about the wanton destruction that superheros tend to wreak in their escapades? The Boyz basically explores that, if all the super heroes are the actual assholes they would be in the real world, instead of being boy scouts like Superman. It definitely treads on edgelord at times, many times. I'm curious how the show turns out.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
The Boys came after his Punisher MAX run right? Cause it seems right, since Punisher's violence was bad but purposeful, this one just existed to see who could squirm.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
The first vol was free to read on Amazon I think. So I've just recently read it. I enjoyed what I read. Not enough to pay full price for more volumes, but I'd check them out if cheap enough. That said, I'll check the show out. I've already got Prime, so why not.

The Boys didn't do much for me. None of the heart Ennis put in Preacher. It's just mean and bitter.

While I didn't get on with the Preacher TV show, I wonder if Rogen will actually change The Boys for the better. The very basic concept could be interesting, if handled well.

Who am I kidding?
What? no, The Boys is legit the work with the most heart from him.

There is legit love between the characters in the run.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I got through the first TPB and dropped it. It's not so much about the relationship between characters (he's always great at that), it's more the cynical world around them. As fucked up as Preacher got, there was a pervasive optimism throughout it.

I got through the first TPB and dropped it. It's not so much about the relationship between characters (he's always great at that), it's more the setting. As fucked up as Preacher got, there was a pervasive optimism to it.
If you want to expirience it yeah you need the russian arc at least. The first 2? tps is setup and random evil heroes if I remember right.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to expirience it yeah you need the russian arc at least. The first 2? tps is setup and random evil heroes if I remember right.

Yeah, pretty much. You get to see the guy based on Simon Pegg join the crew and, yeah, random baddies. I really didn't get on with it. I really like a lot of Ennis' other work too.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I want to know how much they had to rewrite to be fit for human consumption ?
The Boys is amazing. Shame on you.
I made the mistake of reading Crossed - I really regret doing so and I wish I could scrub it from my mind.
You too >:(

Finally a kindred spirit. I felt really sad when the final arc unfolded. Sad for Billy, and Hughie specially.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I've only read the first volume years ago, the trailer makes it seem like it's some goofy punk-rock super hero show. A lot of emphasis on super heroes in the trailer too, while it was about the regular joe's on the street cleaning up their shit, right?

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The Boys might gain a lot by a TV transformation, losing all that excess that prevented it to be memorable. The premise and some points were interesting, let's hope the series turns it into something more digestible. Crossed, on the other hand, is just childlish and unsalvageable.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And a macho man putting the female boss in her place as a sex object and female characters regularly treated as sex toys and being gay treated as a perversion.
Ooph that's a bummer but maybe this adaptation won't be that misogynistic, like how the preacher tv show improved on Tulip's portrayal in the comic.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The footage doesn't make it look too bad, great cast too, but I'm going to have to hear some very particular things like "It isn't faithful to the comic" or some such before I even contemplate giving this a viewing.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to have the tone of Preacher show, which is the really the only way to go.

As a fan of edgy grimdarkness I'm looking forward to this. I want to see the G-Men scene.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno. I liked the comic (with many of rhe same misgivings as you all) but, not sure I like the take here. While the comic was preposterous to say the least, the underlying character motivations and mysteries kept it grounded where this looks like they are going for pure 'edge'.

Funny enough the trailer makes me think they are borrowing a page from The Preacher afaptation where they take the juvenile and offensive humor and improve on it, at the expense of the underlying drama and darkness so all ya left with is weird and quirky. This just looks like a straight comedy.

ill give it a go tho; comics being so uniquitous something that takes a piss at em in a new medium

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved Ennis' Punisher, but the 'The Boys' was gory garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
I fuckin hate The Boys. Footage looks fine I guess, looks more comedic than anything, which is probably the most pragmatic direction to go in if you're going to try to adopt that thing.

We get it Ennis, you don't like superheroes.

I actually think he's pretty talented but I really dislike the majority of his stuff, and while I'm at it Preacher sucks too. The Boys is just straight up yuck. Admittedly I never finished it but I highly doubt my opinion would have changed reading another three volumes or whatever it was.

Last edited: