• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I liked most of S1, and she was one of the better things about the Defenders, but let's see how long they can stretch the "justice seeking bitch" attitude without making it come off as too fake.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So Spiderman's backstory is quotable pop culture in Netflixverse now?

Honestly so tired of these shows. So boring and samey. Don't actually mind if Disney kills them off when they get streaming rights.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less about a thing.

Actually, I care just enough to let everyone know how much I don't care.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree that JJ was marked by missed potential but I don't agree with 2 and 4.

For your second point, the episode was more about exploring the relationship between abusers and victims, specifically the aftermath where the abuser tries to attempt reconciliation. It wasn't about garnering sympathy for Kilgrave but rather it's about exposing the sham as he tries to gaslight her and offers tokens of humility even though it ultimately invalidated by him forcing her to be there under threat of innocent deaths.

For the fourth point kinda ties back to how much he escapes, which became farcical with how often it happened. Throughout the series Jessica desperately tries to do the "right" thing, do what a hero would do by bringing him to justice despite everything and pretty much everyone telling her otherwise. It was clumsy for sure but there was no other option there, it was the only way for her to break the cycle. Judging by the trailer, they'll be addressing how she's dealing with killing someone as well.

Also his powers don't work through his voice, the target just needs to comprehend Kilgrave's intent to activate the virus or whatever

i don't think the show earns this. the balance of power shifts to her completely and she chooses to murder him. it just felt... wrong for the character and the whole ending lacked tension, which might be even worse. at least the luke cage ending had him in a fairly even fight and there were ways he could get hurt. jessica was basically in the clear aside from her friend showing up for also no reason.

As for the set-ups, to me I was fine with it. It was supposed to play into Jessica's fears, and really make you scared and powerless along side her. Reflecting the powerlessness people feel when they have a stalker like that. Someone who foils you and has their claws into you at every turn. Even to the point where it can be difficult to take any legal action against them. And ultimately, she took a stand and ended. Also, killing him seemed prudent because the only reason he was kept alive was so she could use him to prove Hope's innocence. Once she ended it, there was no reason to keep him alive. Plus he was getting more powerful, and it was hard to predict that outcome. His power increase also ended up working to prove what would be Hope's innocence in the end because he was possessing people on a larger scale and getting sloppy and reckless.

i can see that point about #2. to me it was the second in a line of interesting ideas the show was trotting out and putting away. i was mostly fine with the plotline ending how it did because it was a lot more logical. as for #4 i had forgotten that kilgrave was getting more powerful (for no reason) and that jessica gained immunity (for no reason - though it was theorized that it was because she was with him for so long? but then what about his parents argh). the writing becomes so sloppy in the last episodes.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Jessica's biology has also been altered by how she got her powers, which appears to be a central plot thread of this season. My biggest issue is how they made Kilgrave's powers a virus. Even by weird comic book science, it's a really rough sell. It doesn't make sense, but by making it a virus, you can say that Jess' altered biology allowed her to form an immunity.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think the show earns this. the balance of power shifts to her completely and she chooses to murder him. it just felt... wrong for the character and the whole ending lacked tension, which might be even worse. at least the luke cage ending had him in a fairly even fight and there were ways he could get hurt. jessica was basically in the clear aside from her friend showing up for also no reason.

i can see that point about #2. to me it was the second in a line of interesting ideas the show was trotting out and putting away. i was mostly fine with the plotline ending how it did because it was a lot more logical. as for #4 i had forgotten that kilgrave was getting more powerful (for no reason) and that jessica gained immunity (for no reason - though it was theorized that it was because she was with him for so long? but then what about his parents argh). the writing becomes so sloppy in the last episodes.

I disagree about it being more interesting if Jessica had just disabled him. Jessica killing Kilgrave was more interesting than letting a monster like that live and he's way too powerful for the setting of the show anyway. We already have Daredevil letting Kingpin get arrested even though he should know better how much of a sham that would be. It's more fitting for Jessica to falter from the platonic idea of a comic book hero since she's possibly the most grounded person in the Netflix crew.

Though really, I think I would like JJ a lot less on a repeat viewing. I hope season 2 holds up better.