• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the first season, but thinking back on it that was 99% because of David Tennant and that entire character. So with him gone, I'm not sure about this.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If you wanna reference Spider-Man, reference Spider-Man. At least it would make the universe feel more cohesive; this seems like it was put here for casual watchers of these shows so they could feel like they are 'nerds' too. Big Bang Theory level, honestly. It doesn't help them that they used it as a stinger.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The greatest strength of season one was David Tennant, imo, so I'm a little cautious about season 2. I hope it turns out good though. Jessica is a good character but she needs someone good to play off.

I always thought the greatest strength of season 1 was the whole cast not realizing how in over their head they were until it was too late and all the fallout from that. So long as the stakes are similarly high, I don't see an issue.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If you wanna reference Spider-Man, reference Spider-Man. At least it would make the universe feel more cohesive; this seems like it was put here for casual watchers of these shows so they could feel like they are 'nerds' too. Big Bang Theory level, honestly. It doesn't help them that they used it as a stinger.

Not easy area for Marvel, for now.

They don't own rights for Spider-Man when it comes to his use in media like movies or TV. They had to negotiate deal with Sony Pictures so they could get involved with development of Spider-Man standalone movies (I'm not 100% sure if Marvel is involved in Homecoming sequel), and get him into MCU for Civil War and Infinity War.

Kinda screwy when you acknowledge that Marvel created Spider-Man and owns full rights to use him in comics, but back way then before Marvel was owned by Disney they sold out bunch of IP movie rights to studios in effort to dodge bankruptcy. Spider-Man was one of them and Sony Pictures has been sure to keep rebooting those movies so rights don't revert back to Marvel.

Because of this it could be weird gray area if not full out no for direct MCU Spider-Man references in their TV branch. That on top of Marvel having basically firewalled MCU movies and TV from each other.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Not easy area for Marvel, for now.

They don't own rights for Spider-Man when it comes to his use in media like movies or TV. They had to negotiate deal with Sony Pictures so they could get involved with development of Spider-Man standalone movies (I'm not 100% sure if Marvel is involved in Homecoming sequel), and get him into MCU for Civil War and Infinity War.

Kinda screwy when you acknowledge that Marvel created Spider-Man and owns full rights to use him in comics, but back way then before Marvel was owned by Disney they sold out bunch of IP movie rights to studios in effort to dodge bankruptcy. Spider-Man was one of them and Sony Pictures has been sure to keep rebooting those movies so rights don't revert back to Marvel.

Because of this it could be weird gray area if not full out no for direct MCU Spider-Man references in their TV branch. That on top of Marvel having basically firewalled MCU movies and TV from each other.
I know the Marvel/Sony situation lol. They 'firewall' it but more or less still make direct references to characters and events in the movies. This was just a bad joke, at least in my opinion.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Well, JJ S1 was ok but after Defenders, I don't know.

Same with Cage and Fist, DD is the only one I'm not nervous about.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I'm ready for her to knock some fools out again!

giphy.webp
Perfect example of what is wrong with action shots nowadays. Jackie talks about this in this vid:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ&sns=em

luca

Oct 25, 2017
To those who haven't seen it yet, there's two new photos from season 2.

jjd2u4qj1kqt.jpg

gallery-1512733174-vishpaj.jpg

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who is the villain this time?

Killgrave was the only good thing about season 1,not very optimist about the new season

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! Been waiting forever for Jessica Jones to get a second season. Hopefully for whatever action scenes this will have, they have a better choreographer. Watching her and Luke Cage fight is awful it feels like it just ends up with them shoving people. I don't expect The Raid level choreography but could it be a bit believable that they know how to actually throw a punch?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how seperate she is from the rest of the series in this, I have a feeling claire wont be cameoing in this

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Marvel Netflix. Adjust expectations accordingly.
I don't want to hear anything about The Punisher.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tentatively excited. I loved the first season but Kilgrave was such an interesting character that he pulled a lot of the weight for me. I like Jessica as a character and I hope she can hold her own without secondary characters.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My interest in the Netflix Marvel series died with stinking Iron Fist. I still need to finish Defenders and I haven't tried Punisher yet.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
March?! Damn, that seems so far away! I want Season 2 now!!!
Season 1 was fantastic, even with it slowing down 3/4 or so of the way through. We get to find out where her powers came from this season, so no Hand bullshit (The Hand wasn't involved in Season One, of course, but after Defenders who knows how much they'd love to shoehorn more Hand into any other shows). Maybe hopefully more Nuke? Whatever it has in store for us, I can't wait.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The old forum (and by extension here I guess) seemed to have such an ardent vocal minority against this show lol

Then you look outside of that bubble, and the majority love it, it even won a Peabody award :3

That said, Season 1 got carried hard by Kilgrave, so it'll be interesting to see how good it is without him.
season 1 has so many interesting ideas with kilgrave and it squanders every last one of them.

1. jessica jones puts herself in a high security prison to force him to expose his powers. that would be a real neat setpiece in how he uses his powers. doesn't happen.
2. jessica jones lives with kilgrave and kinda starts to turn him into an antihero? wouldn't have worked with the setup, but still an interesting idea. nah he gets away.
3. try to get him in court and incriminate himself by using his powers somehow. dude escapes.
4. maybe have some poetic justice where she crushes his jaw instead of- ah no she just murders him.

and all this while the source material (and the character herself) is more about detective work. there should have been more standalone episodes at the start to establish the character and her world and instead they go hard with kilgrave from the word go. punisher and daredevil season 1 managed to get the pacing right. or at least, the handled it better.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I reaaaaaaallly hope they don't do 13 episodes. Jessica jones had roughly 8 fantastic episodes, and then 5 episodes that were absolutely unneeded.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
season 1 has so many interesting ideas with kilgrave and it squanders every last one of them.

1. jessica jones puts herself in a high security prison to force him to expose his powers. that would be a real neat setpiece in how he uses his powers. doesn't happen.
2. jessica jones lives with kilgrave and kinda starts to turn him into an antihero? wouldn't have worked with the setup, but still an interesting idea. nah he gets away.
3. try to get him in court and incriminate himself by using his powers somehow. dude escapes.
4. maybe have some poetic justice where she crushes his jaw instead of- ah no she just murders him.

and all this while the source material (and the character herself) is more about detective work. there should have been more standalone episodes at the start to establish the character and her world and instead they go hard with kilgrave from the word go. punisher and daredevil season 1 managed to get the pacing right. or at least, the handled it better.

I mostly agree that JJ was marked by missed potential but I don't agree with 2 and 4.

For your second point, the episode was more about exploring the relationship between abusers and victims, specifically the aftermath where the abuser tries to attempt reconciliation. It wasn't about garnering sympathy for Kilgrave but rather it's about exposing the sham as he tries to gaslight her and offers tokens of humility even though it ultimately invalidated by him forcing her to be there under threat of innocent deaths.

For the fourth point kinda ties back to how much he escapes, which became farcical with how often it happened. Throughout the series Jessica desperately tries to do the "right" thing, do what a hero would do by bringing him to justice despite everything and pretty much everyone telling her otherwise. It was clumsy for sure but there was no other option there, it was the only way for her to break the cycle. Judging by the trailer, they'll be addressing how she's dealing with killing someone as well.

Also his powers don't work through his voice, the target just needs to comprehend Kilgrave's intent to activate the virus or whatever

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First season was a borefest most of the time and the finale episode just plain bad. Made me skip all subsequent Marvel shows sans DD and now Punisher.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You see Punisher yet? Easily shit on the fluff that was Daredevil s1 and Iron Fist and even Jessica Jones. Luke Cage and Punisher so far been the best, in my opinion. Defenders was garbage too.
Eh, opinions. I liked them all, but I'd watch more JJ, LC or DD over Punisher anytime. Punisher had by far the best storyline and was the strongest series overall, but every show has a completely different feel to it. And I loved the atmosphere and characters of JJ more than those of Punisher. Same with Daredevil and, for the most part at least, Cage.
Just hoping their new seasons will be more coherent overall and I'm good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the buffy vibe of the first season and hope for more of the same
Really? In what way? I love both shows immensely, but in what way does JJ even give the most remotest of vibes to BtVS? Aside from having a kickass female character? I guess it kinda has similarities to episodes like "Passion". Pretty much the back half of S2.

It's like when I saw a review that compared The Magicians to BtVS, calling it "this generation's Buffy." I fucking watched that shit, too, and the only similarity was "supernatural school with a main character that's an infinitely shittier Xander."

I was lied to.
Blah. Not very interested in this unless The Punisher is in it.
So he can get his ass whupped.

I agree with how they should have paced it. Bad move not building up to Kilgrave and going hard from the start and dragging. Still panned out well as a whole.

As for the set-ups, to me I was fine with it. It was supposed to play into Jessica's fears, and really make you scared and powerless along side her. Reflecting the powerlessness people feel when they have a stalker like that. Someone who foils you and has their claws into you at every turn. Even to the point where it can be difficult to take any legal action against them. And ultimately, she took a stand and ended. Also, killing him seemed prudent because the only reason he was kept alive was so she could use him to prove Hope's innocence. Once she ended it, there was no reason to keep him alive. Plus he was getting more powerful, and it was hard to predict that outcome. His power increase also ended up working to prove what would be Hope's innocence in the end because he was possessing people on a larger scale and getting sloppy and reckless.