• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is OG Twilight Zone worth watching for someone that has never even seen a single episode but generally likes creepy stuff? Has it aged well basically.
giphy.gif

Man, got Dee in this too. CBS really gonna make me pay:/ hopefully the promo is still live once the season finishes.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is OG Twilight Zone worth watching for someone that has never even seen a single episode but generally likes creepy stuff? Has it aged well basically.

It's timeless.

Everyone should at least watch the top 20 list of episodes.

I will definitely check out some episodes. Any particular episodes to check out first?
He Lives
I hate to be a cynic but I have a bad feeling about this. There was an off-putting creepiness and brilliance to the original stories that's going to be really hard to recapture.
Oh yeah, cuz Get Out had none of that /s

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Not announced yet. Will probably vary on a per-episode basis, I think most CBS AA shows have been 45-ish min long.

It's supposed to be proper anthology with stand-alone episodes.

The second link didn't work for you?

No, it didn't :( it was región blocked by CBS as well. Had to see the trailer on Twitter.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
If I didn't know better I'd say those shots with the kid are from a reimagined version of "It's A Good Life" with the kid making himself president.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Never watched the originals but I'm interested.

I absolutely loved LOST, Stranger Things and Fringe - is this anything like those or am I reading the situation wrong? :P

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017

I absolutely loved LOST, Stranger Things and Fringe - is this anything like those or am I reading the situation wrong? :P
Haven't seen Fringe, but I would say no on the other two. Stand-alone episodes that just explore strange or creepy ideas/situations.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's an anthology series and its closest modern analog would be Black Mirror.

Its a huge series, though, so if you wanted to dip your toes in, I would google some top ten episodes lists to start out with. You could leap into the middle of the series anywhere and pluck out the best regarded eps.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

As someone else pointed out, it's nothing like any of those. Those shows all have sci-fi elements to them (especially Fringe) but Twilight Zone is more like, every episode is it's own self-contained story that focuses on just one particular sci-fi-esque idea. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're sad, scary, dramatic, etc. It's a really awesome series and because it's episodic it can cover all kinds of interesting ideas and themes and genres.

The main difference to something recent like Black Mirror, is not every Twilight Zone episode leaves you feeling miserable about humanity and life. I feel like a lot of modern sci-fi is hyper focused on dark depressing themes but there are some pretty fun Twilight Zone episodes from what I can remember.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
That's a solid guess. Should be an interesting episode for sure.
Soon as I saw the shots of the tricycle, I figured they were leaning a little too hard into imagery from The Shining, but then I saw the flags attached to it and waitaminute...

And another watch shows a rural community cheering at signs like "Video Games" and "Oliver 4 Prez". Yep, it's Trump and the cornfield.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
As someone else pointed out, it's nothing like any of those. Those shows all have sci-fi elements to them (especially Fringe) but Twilight Zone is more like, every episode is it's own self-contained story that focuses on just one particular sci-fi-esque idea. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're sad, scary, dramatic, etc. It's a really awesome series and because it's episodic it can cover all kinds of interesting ideas and themes and genres.

The main difference to something recent like Black Mirror, is not every Twilight Zone episode leaves you feeling miserable about humanity and life. I feel like a lot of modern sci-fi is hyper focused on dark depressing themes but there are some pretty fun Twilight Zone episodes from what I can remember.
Might have been me
Twilight Zone is genre agnostic. Horror, sci-fi, mystery, comedy, supernatural, drama, etc. That's one of its biggest strengths compared to like Black Mirror
And yeah, TZ has a much wider scope than largely any other similar show. The only connecting element is the presence of a twist or message. Beyond that, the show isn't locked into any single genre or tone. I would even argue that a weird element isn't even required, not when a classic episode like Time Enough at Last has no weird/sci-fi/supernatural aspects at all

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speculation:

Adam Scott's episode revolves around a recurring set of numbers in his day.

The ticket says 10:15 and he says to the air attendant "it's all the same number, what are the chances?". He's probably on Flight 1015. Maybe his audio device has a creepy voice that tells him the plane will crash at 10:15. That's why he throws his ipod at the camera. He wakes up after the crash. The episode will open with him waking up as we see him in the trailer. The bulk of the episode will take place on the plane with the events leading up to 10:15.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Great trailer can't fucking wait!

I still can't believe there's people out there who love Black Mirror or anthologies in general and never seen TZ?

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a great trailer. Looks suitably creepy. I might have to get CBS All Access.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that looks good.

Shit.

I already have to subscribe to Disney+ this year. Too many goddamn streaming services.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Speculation:

Adam Scott's episode revolves around a recurring set of numbers in his day.

The ticket says 10:15 and he says to the air attendant "it's all the same number, what are the chances?". He's probably on Flight 1015. Maybe his audio device has a creepy voice that tells him the plane will crash at 10:15. That's why he throws his ipod at the camera. He wakes up after the crash. The episode will open with him waking up as we see him in the trailer. The bulk of the episode will take place on the plane with the events leading up to 10:15.
Interesting - wonder if that has anything to do with the original gremlin washing ashore?

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the list of episodes.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many episodes of the original are there? I've wanted to watch it for very long time already.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
looksgreat, hopefully Netflix snatches this up for Europe like they did Star Trek Discovery :(

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Genuinely surprised at all the comedic actors in this. Really looking forward to seeing their dramatic chops.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE BE GOOD. Watching reruns of this show and outer limits on the scifi channel was a big part of my childhood.