• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
Before we only seen single joy-con play on the tv, Gamescom seems to be the first place that its being played undocked

Here's hoping for a release date by PAX West

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was playable undocked at Japan Expo too. I played it both docked and undocked, felt no difference.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Looking good, but I still feel like we know very little about it. I kinda smell a delay coming.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Looking good, but I still feel like we know very little about it. I kinda smell a delay coming.
They've released a bunch of info over the months though, it's just not being drip fed to you. Expect a release date next week.

dsUjVFt.jpg

YKVCTDO.jpg

Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes is an action-adventure title where Travis Touchdown gets transported into the Death Drive MK-II, a demonic video game console, after the previous events of No More Heroes 2. While in the console, he must navigate through six different worlds based on games that Suda51 grew up with, each sporting a different type of gameplay style.

"All six games are built from the ground up," Suda51 says. "While the action sequences featured in the trailer connect everything, we've done a lot to make sure different gameplay types are varied and balanced."

Suda51 confirmed that these new experiences would be modern takes on these classic games, with signature Suda51 style added on top. It's also the first time we've gotten more insight into how the racing segment will play, even if the visual style doesn't resemble the Zero4 Champ series created by Yutaka Kaminaga in 1991.

Zero4 Champ is a series of eight games released on Super Famicom, PC, Playstation and other platforms over an 11 year period that are based on Japanese drag racing. The games are known for their RPG elements, simulation gameplay, and anime-esque storylines. Although they were only released in Japan – apart from a fan-made flash game dubbed Zero4 Extreme that dropped in 2005 – the racing series is known for its wide range of sport-grade Japanese cars and extensive customisable options. Suda51 wasn't ready to reveal what elements from the classic racer would make their way over to Travis's next adventure, but we do know that the segment will feature it's own boss battle.

Even though these pseudo titles are based on games that Suda51 played while growing up, he's also taking notes from the indie developers he's partnered with. "Being surrounded by all the independent developers at different conferences has really shown me a lot about development," Suda51 says. "I like to think some of the games I've made have an indie style, especially the different segments here."

The gameplay demo that's been shown off at every gaming convention from Bitsummit in Kyoto to the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, hasn't convinced players of the game's potential just yet. "We still have a lot of work to do," Suda51 acknowledges. "We've been taking a lot of feedback from people who've played the demo, and are making adjustments based off that."

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for a release date. Plan on getting it and hope it makes the release date this year.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I still feel conflicted about this game. It's not No More Heroes 3 so let's get that out of the way. But I still feel conflicted about the game as a whole.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I keep forgetting about this one. Having loved parts 1&2, I am looking forward to this. I enjoy the whole idea. Travis has gotten trapped inside a demonic console, like what? Oh Suda, lol.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I don't think the marketing for this title has been overly successful so far. Feels like nobody talks about this for the most part.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the marketing for this title has been overly successful so far. Feels like nobody talks about this for the most part.
I mean, the game has always been pushed as an indie title. Grasshopper/Nintendo isn't interested in pumping millions into marketing a game that has an indie sized team and an indie sized budget a la early Grasshopper.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, the game has always been pushed as an indie title. Grasshopper/Nintendo isn't interested in pumping millions into marketing a game that has an indie sized team and an indie sized budget a la early Grasshopper.
But would you say that it even reached the recognition that bigger Indies nowadays do? Don't know, it feels like this is really flying under the radar, even within enthusiasts communities. Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much from Nintendo here as Sushi Striker e.g. didn't receive a big push either.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
But would you say that it even reached the recognition that bigger Indies nowadays do? Don't know, it feels like this is really flying under the radar, even within enthusiasts communities. Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much from Nintendo here as Sushi Striker e.g. didn't receive a big push either.
Unfortunately, I see a lot of "this is not No More Heroes, wtf is this" on this forum. I guess that's why it's not being that much talked on forums.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No More Heroes has always been niche. I'd assume it would get another highlight in the next direct leading up to launch. Other than that, Grasshopper is really relying on word of mouth as Travis Strikes Again has been playable at so many events now. EGX Rezzed, PAX East, Gamescom, GDC, Japan Expo etc. I got to play it myself at EGX and I've seen for myself how strong of an impression the game leaves. The people that are interested in it will already have an eye on it while those on the fence will wait for good word of mouth from reviews and previews before picking it up. It's a genius way to go about things to be honest and it truly embodies the smaller-scale release that Suda is really pushing for here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Unfortunately, I see a lot of "this is not No More Heroes, wtf is this" on this forum. I guess that's why it's not being that much talked on forums.
No More Heroes has always been niche. I'd assume it would get another highlight in the next direct leading up to launch. Other than that, Grasshopper is really relying on word of mouth as Travis Strikes Again has been playable at so many events now. EGX Rezzed, PAX East, Gamescom, GDC, Japan Expo etc. I got to play it myself at EGX and I've seen for myself how strong of an impression the game leaves. The people that are interested in it will already have an eye on it while those on the fence will wait for good word of mouth from reviews and previews before picking it up. It's a genius way to go about things to be honest and it truly embodies the smaller-scale release that Suda is really pushing for here.
Thanks for the clarifications!

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I love No More Heroes but im not very interested in this since the concept was described ill wait for full game reviews and impressions.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man, this is disappointing. I hope this leads to an actual NMH3
I wish I could get excited for this but nothing I'm seeing is doing that :(
I love No More Heroes but im not very interested in this since the concept was described ill wait for full game reviews and impressions.
If you don't mind me asking, what are the main issues you have with this game?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's not really a lot to talk about given that it's a smaller, budget game that has already gone into detail of the concepts of each level and has shown the designs of every boss.

I have a gut feeling that it'll be stealth released, to be honest. We'll get a new trailer next Direct, and an "available now" right after.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping indeed OP.

Still interested in the game and hope it does make it this year.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
For my part, I think that setting it in a virtual world and basing the levels off of indie games saps a lot of the quirky and surreal nature that the original games had. I'm also really not a fan of the top-down playstyle (though I can't tell if that's just for one level or not).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The top down hack n slash gameplay looks like it's stripping all of the cinematic style from the original games. The camera placement in the original oozed style, and the gameplay seemed to just be a lot more dynamic. Literally every piece of gameplay of this I've seen has a lot of moments where the person playing just moves around hammering the X button, causing Travis to just run around flailing about aimlessly. It looks goofy, and the opposite of the cool vibe the series is known for.

It sounds harsh, but this looks like a $20 eShop spin-off of No More Heroes.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope this is good. I can understand the skepticism and fans clamoring for a "real" NHM3, but it's still the first thing Suda's directed since... Fatal Frame? (According to Wikipedia)

Nov 23, 2017
The top down hack n slash gameplay looks like it's stripping all of the cinematic style from the original games. The camera placement in the original oozed style, and the gameplay seemed to just be a lot more dynamic. Literally every piece of gameplay of this I've seen has a lot of moments where the person playing just moves around hammering the X button, causing Travis to just run around flailing about aimlessly. It looks goofy, and the opposite of the cool vibe the series is known for.

It literally IS that, though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

There are far more skills and moves than the running slash, you can't expected press people to know all about it with a 10mn hands-on session. They are also not based on indie games at all, they're their own levels

And we only know about 1 of the 7 or 8 levels that are going to be in it. I think trying to put a price tag on the game so quickly is dumb

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
I played TSA at PAX East and had a blast! Something I've noticed that hasn't really been talked about is that each character has 4 unique special moves that have a cool down on top of standard melee attacks and super moves. There's also a co-op supermove you can do. We don't even know about the leveling systems and stuff yet. Was a lot of fun, though! Gameplay felt consistent and fun, and the game still oozed that weird NMH style with the strange NPCs and cool visual stylings.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly blame the marketing and promotion for the (obviously continued) confusion about this game's design and gameplay.

Really hope we get a proper second look at the game. I think this would definitely decide everyone's viewpoint of the game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
For my part, I think that setting it in a virtual world and basing the levels off of indie games saps a lot of the quirky and surreal nature that the original games had. I'm also really not a fan of the top-down playstyle (though I can't tell if that's just for one level or not).
Valid concerns. I should clarify some things though. The levels aren't actually based off indie games, but inspired by games Suda grew up with like Gauntlet and Zero4 Champ. The top-down playstyle seems to be the main "gameplay" so to speak that will be present across the six main worlds. Each world has its own gimmick which influences gameplay somehow like a racing level for example. They're also planning on adding a pinball level and what Suda describes as a "triple-A style area". In order to get into these games, Travis leaves the trailer to find the actual physical copies scattered around. Suda describes this part of the game as an old school visual novel style adventure game.

I think what gets me excited is the fact that throughout the year, Suda and the team have acknowledged that what they've shown so far hasn't really convinced people about the game's potential. The fact that this is Suda's first time directing a game since No More Heroes and that he gets to break away from the tired setup of the numbered titles tells me that he has a lot of room to really pursue his vision. I'm extremely interested in this idea of visiting different games and seeing Suda's take on the age old trope of going inside a game makes me curious. I'm certain we'll really see his signature style ooze through this project. Also, the whole talk about indie games has really confused some people, it's simply just a T-Shirt collaboration with other indie games such as Hyper Light Drifter and Hotline Miami.

Banner-TravisHyperLightDrifter.jpg

The thing is, I see this as Suda really gearing people up for a potential No More Heroes 3. He's stated in interviews that he wants to use Travis Strikes Again as a means to introduce newer players into the series' signature style which he believes justifies the smaller levels and simpler gameplay. From a pure gameplay perspective, Travis Strikes Back is light years ahead of No More Heroes 1&2. There's charm to the jank of those games but going back now it just doesn't hold up. TSA has these co-op moves that you can pull off that really add to the depth of combat IMHO. It's not all just holding down the attack button. There's also the four special moves that Travis and Badman have.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the combat system here might prove to be a good stepping stone going into an eventual No More Heroes 3.

Using special moves on top of the standard slashing while having to tango with multiple mobs at once seems like a cool way to evolve the combat since No More Heroes had some really generic combat carried by novelty. At least here the more Furi-like approach seems like it has nuance to it.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The thing is, I see this as Suda really gearing up people for a potential No More Heroes 3. He's stated in interviews that he wants to use Travis Strikes Again as a means to introduce newer players into the series' signature style which he believes justifies the smaller levels and simpler gameplay. From a pure gameplay perspective, Travis Strikes Back is light years ahead of No More Heroes 1&2. There's charm to the jank of those games but going back now it just doesn't hold up.

I could be wrong but I think it's incredibly flawed logic to use completely different gameplay to try and get new players into a franchise. That would just serve to have the reverse effect if NMH3 were to come out with gameplay from the first two games.

Unless this is how the gameplay is going to be from here on out which would just be bleh.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't wait! After playing it at PAX east I have just want to have it in my hands already!

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How´s the combat system? I saw some footage months ago that made it look a bit simple with Travis just running around while swinging his blade around, do we have any more info in that regard?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Valid concerns. I should clarify some things though. The levels aren't actually based off indie games, but inspired by games Suda grew up with like Gauntlet and Zero4 Champ. The top-down playstyle seems to be the main "gameplay" so to speak that will be present across the six main worlds. Each world has its own gimmick which influences gameplay somehow like a racing level for example. They're also planning on adding a pinball level and what Suda describes as a "triple-A style area". In order to get into these games, Travis leaves the trailer to find the actual physical copies scattered around. Suda describes this part of the game as an old school visual novel style adventure game.

I think what gets me excited is the fact that throughout the year, Suda and the team have acknowledged that what they've shown so far hasn't really convinced people about the game's potential. The fact that this is Suda's first time directing a game since No More Heroes and that he gets to break away from the tired setup of the numbered titles tells me that he has a lot of room to really pursue his vision. I'm extremely interested in this idea of visiting different games and seeing Suda's take on the age old trope of going inside a game makes me curious. I'm certain we'll really see his signature style ooze through this project. Also, the whole talk about indie games has really confused some people, it's simply just a T-Shirt collaboration with other indie games such as Hyper Light Drifter and Hotline Miami.

Banner-TravisHyperLightDrifter.jpg

The thing is, I see this as Suda really gearing people up for a potential No More Heroes 3. He's stated in interviews that he wants to use Travis Strikes Again as a means to introduce newer players into the series' signature style which he believes justifies the smaller levels and simpler gameplay. From a pure gameplay perspective, Travis Strikes Back is light years ahead of No More Heroes 1&2. There's charm to the jank of those games but going back now it just doesn't hold up. TSA has these co-op moves that you can pull off that really add to the depth of combat IMHO. It's not all just holding down the attack button. There's also the four special moves that Travis and Badman have.

Yup. Hopefully it turns out great, I hold no ill will towards the game. Just explaining why I'm not too excited atm. If it ends up being a home run, awesome :)