• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Someone is having a meltdown from images that were taken from what I believe was a 3310 Nokia phone?

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Darkknight2149 I don't mean this in a mean way but I feel like I've Witnessed denial and now anger from you about this. So I'm curious if you'll move in to bargaining next 😋.

But I also totally do accept your right to be upset about this as SH2 is a game that's special to you.
To be fair, the "denial" stage was Bloober themselves lying in an interview about not doing remakes of other publisher's games (assuming these screenshots are real). I can't believe Konami is stupid enough to attempt this and to hire Bloober Team of all people. Seriously, there's a solid 0% chance this lives up to the original (which is a creator-driven artistic work).

I mean, yeah, it's going to be different in terms of camera and gameplay
Which is why Silent Hill 2 shouldn't be remade to begin with. When this game comes out and gets demolished, I doubt Konami will even re-release the originals.

these are 200x200 something images

like straight up you're going need to provide actual explanations here because I can absolutely guarantee you that even as someone who is down for clowning on Bloober Team, I have no idea how you're getting any sort of useful amount of information from these screencaps
The design on the nurse, the textures, the edges, the camera. It's blurry, but not unintelligibly blurry.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I still think we'll see Masahiro Ito's game first, since it was in development longer.

How reliable is this journalist? How do we know for certain these are real? Genuine question.
I know him personally, and he contributes for VGC.
That is the extent I can say he is reliable.

But if is fake or real, I'm sure some journalist and insiders will comment on it soon.
salromano will probably know if is real or fake

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I'll say this if these are out there. They're real, but they're not even CLOSE to the final product. These are from an internal pitch demo from Bloober before they got greenlit, so its literally a no budget proof of concept thing rather than a final product, just keep that in mind. Out of everything that could've leaked, this isn't actually what the final game looks like.

I mentioned before Konami was looking for pitches in Summer of 2018, this was one of the pitches that got greenlit, but take it for what it is; a proof of concept no budget demo to pitch a concept.

Hikariixx

One Winged Slayer
Nov 19, 2020
Additional thought I had but I'm already seeing lots of comparisons of the RE remakes which is interesting to me because those games feel like the ultimate fulfilment of the vision that the original games that they were based on. From my perspective, RE has always felt somewhat restricted by hardware constraints and has always pushed for the most realistic graphics possible. Whereas SH never felt the same way. Examples like the utilisation of the PS1's relatively small draw distance as fog to create atmosphere and suspense are key aspects of the series and therefore it doesn't feel like they need a remake.

Jul 7, 2021
Okay, so I'll say this if these are out there. They're real, but they're not even CLOSE to the final product. These are from an internal pitch demo from Bloober before they got greenlit, so its literally a no budget proof of concept thing rather than a final product, just keep that in mind. Out of everything that could've leaked, this isn't actually what the final game looks like.

This was what I was thinking; "these could be from an earlier build or something". Happens pretty often with leaks. Interesting, thanks!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope this is a fake. Looks as bad as I would expect from Bloober. Cartoony art direction, Resident Evil 2 camera. What did they do the Bubble Head Nurse? Holy shit.

Fby-QTmWQAEn0UR

This is why Silent Hill 2 needs to be left alone.

I am usually the first to harp on about Bloober but this is a hell of a lot to pull from a few super blurry images lol

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I mentioned before Konami was looking for pitches in Summer of 2018, this was one of the pitches that got greenlit, but take it for what it is; a proof of concept no budget demo to pitch a concept.
Darkknight2149 it's true

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Hi,

I'm a simple person, I just want some official confirmation.

thnx

EDIT: Forgot this was handled by Bloober for a second, at least it's a remake. they can't fuck that up right?......right?

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
So, a whole nothing burger? It'll be interesting if Bloober can pull this remake off. Do we know if Ito will be tapped for feedback?

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Yeah. I'm just happy Konami is finally doing something with their IPs
Including ruining the best Silent Hill game? I would prefer nothing over that. A Bloober Team Silent Hill 2 remake is genuinely a worst case scenario.

At least stick exactly to Masahiro Ito and Takayoshi Sato's designs, and don't try to ape Resident Evil 2's camera and gameplay. This is what I was worried about when Christophe Gans said that Konami felt "galvanised" by the success of the Resident Evil 2 remake. Silent Hill 2 not only doesn't need the REmake treatment, it's literally an untouchable creator-driven work.

This destroys any faith I have in Konami.

I am usually the first to harp on about Bloober but this is a hell of a lot to pull from a few super blurry images lol
You guys are overstating the blurriness, honestly. I get wanting to be optimistic for a doomed remake of an iconic game, but the screenshots are definitely intelligible on my phone. Blurry, yes. "Super" blurry, no.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Also Dusk Golem can I add you to the title, to say you confirm they are real?
Honestly, I'd prefer you didn't. I'm assuming the person who leaked this either only had this or not and did this a bit more maliciously, but before people have meltdowns, just kinda take it this is basically seeing the worst foot forward, so it kinda sucks.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe, but I'll wait for something official. My heart has already been hurt way too many times in the past.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I'd prefer you didn't. I'm assuming the person who leaked this either only had this or not and did this a bit more maliciously, but before people have meltdowns, just kinda take it this is basically seeing the worst foot forward, so it kinda sucks.
You can't even see anything. I hate that you're even entertaining the people having meltdowns. These are literally blurry at around ~160p which means they are even less than that or have blur applied to something that small.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
It'll be interesting if Bloober can pull this remake off.
They can't. Even putting aside Bloober's previous work, only the original developers can pull off Silent Hill 2. This isn't even a faithful remake, it's apparently going to have reworked gameplay and "several new endings" according to VGC. Ew.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
So, a whole nothing burger? It'll be interesting if Bloober can pull this remake off. Dp we knownif Ito will be tapped for feedback?
Bloober is doing this so to most people its already a done deal. The reaction to the screens on the first page should be enough to let you know how this remake will be received.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I want to believe, but I'll wait for something official. My heart has already been hurt way too many times in the past.

At this point, I think it's safe to say this is all but confirmed. The Bloober remake I mean, not sure about the other SH projects.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Honestly, I'd prefer you didn't. I'm assuming the person who leaked this either only had this or not, but before people have meltdowns, just kinda take it this is basically seeing the worst foot forward, so it kinda sucks.
I wont of course.
That is why I always ask when making thread if the people want their name involved.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Is this a casual confirmation of Bloober doing the remake?
The screenshots in the original (now deleted) tweet were larger, but still had a blur.

Not trying to sound rude, but I don't get why anyone would want this.

At this point, I think it's safe to say this is all but confirmed. The Bloober remake I mean, not sure about the other SH projects.
Konami DMCA'd leaked screenshots from the Masahiro Ito game, so that one is definitely real.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly, I don't see Bloober pulling off anything different than what is showcased in these presentation slides. The images are blurry as we see them but they sure as hell didn't pitch them in this resolution to Konami or whatever video they are pulled from. Those files in their original file size are exactly what I expect an over the shoulder thing to look like from Bloober plus/minus some polish.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
They can't. Even putting aside Bloober's previous work, only the original developers can pull off Silent Hill 2. This isn't even a faithful remake, it's apparently going to have reworked gameplay and "several new endings" according to VGC. Ew.

Dark times inbound. It's 4D Silent Hill.. what if we are in Silent Hill right now?

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Era Try not to Overreact to the words 'Bloober Team' AND / OR contextless sub 240p screenshots challenge (impossible)

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see shit with that low res.

What are people referring to when they say it looks cartoony?

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for sure, the Bloober remake is coming (although I still hope for some official/new Silent Hill products as well), I just don't know for sure if these images are it or not. But then, from what Dusk says it's from an earlier prototype/proof-of-concept kind of thing, so that kind of makes sense.

I do believe something Silent Hill-related will probably be announced soon (there's way too much smoke otherwise), but then as I said...I've been hurt before. :(

Not trying to sound rude, but I don't get why anyone would want this.
If it's a simple remake with prettier graphics, tighter control/combat, etc. it'll be fine. If Bloober takes liberties with everything especially the story/dialogue though...

Honestly at this point, I'm so desperate for Silent Hill I'll take anything. Even a gacha game. Hell give me that Silent Hill Kart.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Including ruining the best Silent Hill game? I would prefer nothing over that. A Bloober Team Silent Hill 2 remake is genuinely a worst case scenario.

At least stick exactly to Masahiro Ito and Takayoshi Sato's designs, and don't try to ape Resident Evil 2's camera and gameplay. This is what I was worried about when Christophe Gans said that Konami felt "galvanised" by the success of the Resident Evil 2 remake. Silent Hill 2 not only doesn't need the REmake treatment, it's literally an untouchable creator-driven work.

This destroys any faith I have in Konami.

You guys are overstating the blurriness, honestly. I get wanting to be optimistic for a doomed remake of an iconic game, but the screenshots are definitely intelligible on my phone. Blurry, yes. "Super" blurry, no.

Fair, it's not super blurry I guess but feels like your disdain for Bloober is eliciting a strong reaction to some pretty throwaway images.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I must be the only person who thinks that looks sorta good from the extremely little I can see. I did play SH2EE not too long ago though so I've had my SH2 fix and I'm not too invested, looking forward more to the rumored SH5.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Last thing I'm saying, then I'm dipping. And really, saying this shouldn't be surprising, but these screens don't even remotely represent the final product, and trying to draw any conclusions outside of a pitch demo, "cool to see a super early prototype," kinda way are going to be fruitless, I highly recommend not coming to any conclusions from this. I know that won't stop some people, but just know this is both years old at this point and before there was any budget behind anything, so take it for what it is.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I can't see shit with that low res.

What people referring to when they say it looks cartoony?
The screenshots in the deleted tweet were larger, but:
  • The edges and textures.
  • The design of the Bubble Head Nurse.
  • The art direction was been changed.
  • The game is now aping Resident Evil 2's camera, which is a bad idea.
The hubris of Konami for even attempting this.

Fair, it's not super blurry I guess but feels like your disdain for Bloober is eliciting a strong reaction to some pretty throwaway images.
It's not. And the fact that they're making changes to the designs at all is a problem.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
You can't call that fair at all lol. Of course it's "intelligible" but not enough to see where the pixels of objects distinctly end or begin. Not enough to call it "cartoony" which btw if Bloober's games are that, so is the original SH2 because it's a fucking PS2 game.