ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
It's the classic thing where an artist has had forever to polish their first work while the follow-ups are made up on the fly.

Obviously Garland has been writing forever, but production and post eat into a lot of his time and it's very noticeable in his output (I disliked Annihilation and thought the script for this was serious nonsense (and he also wrote some random animated film for his wife that... Isn't as bad as those other two actually, but is the sort of thing that won't be made)).
Any chance you could share the MEN script?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to me how a guy like Lars von Trier, a guy from a tiny little country who once made a very weird little show called "Riget" is now drawn as a comparison to modern films.

I generally love Alex Garland's stuff, Sunshine, Enslaved, DmC not so much, but he's pretty good in almost any field he's had his for in.

He didn't write DmC.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll wait to watch it at home. Feels like I'll enjoy more in my own space.

Love Ex Machina, hated Devs. Annihilation was a visual masterpiece, but the novel was a better told story.
..then again away from directing The Beach was life changing for me and means he'll always get some kind of pass with his projects 😅

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Will keep tuning into Garland because of 28 Days Later and Sunshine but his directing hasn't really impressed me so far. Both Ex Machina and Annhiliation were alright so he's definitely competent but neither really came together in a satisfying way for me.

I'd say polarising is accurate aimed at his screenplays as well as his own movies, though I've seen more universal praise for Ex Machina and Annihilation to a certain extent than I ever did for Sunshine or 28 Days.

This sounds intriguing, though I'm sure it'll be nothing like a Von Trier film, that's just too much of a deviation from his style up until now.

I think Garland is a really good director but his writing can leave a lot to be desired. Great eye for visuals though.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
I like "Annihilation" more than "Ex Machina" and I actually liked "Last Night in Soho" and "Promising Young Woman". So I hope I'll like this one too. This is Garland, so I think it will be interesting at least visually. And his projects usually have a cool sound and soundtrack.

Oct 25, 2017
i loved Annihilation and Ex Machina, but man, Devs was… too much everything. I've been meaning to go back and watch it, but I remember it just not working at all.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm a fan of Ex Machina and Ad Astra for those reasons. Tbh this could have been helped with Alex Garland having a female co-screenwriter to collab and develop on his blindspots like Ridley Scott did for The Last Duel with Nicole Holofcener and other examples of this happening with male directors.
holy shit The Last Duel was written by Nicole Holofcener? TIL. i remember studying Friends With Money at uni as our lecturer was a huge fan who lamented that her writing and directing went under-appreciated. it's cool to see she was so integral to such a great recent film. i should really watch more of her stuff

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
If people are saying this has a dose of von Trier thrown in for good measure then count me in! Antichrist comparisons are interesting, but the dark comedy insinuations makes me think more The House that Jack Built rather than Antichrist.

Regardless, I'm in for anything Garland. His style is perfectly attuned to my tastes.

If anyone hasn't seen The House that Jack Built, I highly recommend it. Matt Dillon is really fantastic in it.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
He's credited as story supervisor anyway, if his involvement was miniscule compared to Tameem then I rescind what I said just noted he was involved with the game's story.

His involvement was pretty minimal, as is usual for story/script supervisors. Tameem wrote the story.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Reviews are coming in...

www.rottentomatoes.com

Men | Rotten Tomatoes

In the aftermath of a personal tragedy, Harper (Jessie Buckley) retreats alone to the beautiful English countryside, hoping to have found a place to heal. But someone or something from the surrounding woods appears to be stalking her. What begins as simmering dread becomes a fully-formed...

www.avclub.com

Men is a thrilling, deranged horror masterpiece

In Alex Garland's surreal third feature, a grieving Jessie Buckley fends off a multi-tasking Rory Kinnear

www.inverse.com

'Men' review: Alex Garland’s surreal thriller is maddening in the best way possible

Alex Garland's 'Men' is a harrowing, maddeningly surreal journey into the English countryside that will give viewers plenty to argue about after the credits roll.

lwlies.com

Men review – Folk female trouble withers on the vine

A woman reeling from a personal tragedy embarks on the holiday from hell in Alex Garland’s underwhelming folk horror film.

ew.com

'Men' review: Welcome to Alex Garland's gender nightmare

'Ex Machina' auteur Alex Garland dips into A24 horror in 'Men,' his confounding but beautifully crafted mood piece.

deadline.com

‘Men’ Review: Alex Garland’s Most Emotional And Abstract Work Is Also His Most Challenging To Decipher

Men writer-director Alex Garland is fascinated with creation and rebirth.

bloody-disgusting.com

A24’s ‘Men’ Review – Alex Garland Unsettles With Surreal Folk Horror

Director Alex Garland established a distinct penchant for surrealistic genre fare in just two features, Ex Machina and Annihilation. In his latest, Men, the filmmaker tries his hand at more straightforward horror, imbuing folk horror with his distinct style. It results in a more elusive effort...

variety.com

‘Men’ Review: Alex Garland’s Gender-Upender Fails to Earn Its Intense Body-Horror Finale

Alex Garland puts the 'Men' in 'menacing,' conjuring a town where the locals threaten a woman trying to escape a bad marriage.

www.theguardian.com

Men review – Alex Garland unleashes multiple Rory Kinnears in wacky folk-horror

Garland’s latest is like a scary-movie remake of Dick Emery, with excellent performances from Kinnear in a number of different roles, and Jessie Buckley

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Even if some of those reviews are on the mixed side I'm still pretty intrigued. Seems like the sort of thing that presses all the right buttons for me.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I just came back from seeing it. This is probably the strangest movie he's made. There's so much to unpack with the imagery in this, but it also feels weirdly on the nose? The whole movie lives in metaphor. I definitely liked it a lot.

Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear put up a hell of a performance

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it. A couple walked out towards the end and actually addressed me and my friends with " We can't watch this". This is before the fucking batshit ending, by the way, so they were absolutely correct lmao

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Despite its blatant analogies, it was a truly bizarre film that hit a lot of the right horror notes. I enjoyed it. Made me uncomfortable at times for sure. 😵‍💫

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting what I said in the other thread:
Just saw this. Definitely really liked it.

my audience was definitely turned off by the ending and didn't really "get it". Lots of guys at the theater being smartasses about it.

Having sat on it a bit and discussing it with my girlfriend who didn't see the movie, I appreciate it a ton.