• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017

KNIVES OUT: a film about America. Review tomorrow. Sorry, one more: it was absolutely genius

With the KNIVES OUT premiere underway, think I'm finally cleared to gush that it's the best damn film I've seen all year. (Throw in last year, too.) Not just the crackerjack mystery I'd hoped for, but also deeply cathartic in ways I'd never have anticipated. Final shot is pure

Knives Out is flat-out awesome in every way. The funniest film I have seen this year - clever-as-hell writing & glorious performances (Daniel Craig steals the film), this murder-mystery send-up just killed it here at #TIFF19

KNIVES OUT: Pure entertainment. Great cast, perfect pacing, and such a smart script. People are gonna LOVE this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrobbles

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017

KNIVES OUT is one HUMDINGER of a movie. A true whodunnit that is drop dead hilarious. I died. I'm tweeting this from the grave after dying from the laughs. Daniel Craig in FULL ham mode. FULL HAM. My favorite movie of the year so far.

KNIVES OUT is an absolute blast, and Daniel Craig's Foghorn Leghorn Poirot is a delight to watch, but its not-so-secret star is Ana de Armas. Rian Johnson has always been good at splendidly knocking down dominoes and he's found the perfect subgenre for it, but there's a smartly nasty edge amid the froth.

KNIVES OUT: does not include Radiohead's "Knives Out." zero stars.

(jk jk it's a metric ton of fun and builds to the most wonderful last shot. very satisfying. but sadly zero stars).

Absolutely *loved* Rian Johnson's Knives Out. Not only is the script fantastic, the entire cast is pitch perfect. Try not to learn the twists and turns before seeing it and you're in for an awesome ride.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
All the impressions posted in the OP, and others I've seen on Twitter, are incredibly glowing.

Jan 15, 2018
Rian Johnson is such a fascinating filmmaker in that he makes movies that are really well received, but no one you speak to about them seems to like them.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not surprising. Rian's possibly the best 'young' director on American soil. Obv. Star Wars fanboys fill different, but take that controversial movie out of his filmography it was clear he was on a trajectory to make some classics

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
The trailer didn't really grab me, but I was still intrigued by it. Going by these impressions I'm going to have to see it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK.

This was supposed to be RJ book of henry

d&d please save us!!!!
"You like Star Wars? Well wait till you see it with rape! Space rape to inspire a young female Jedi into action! Also have you ever wondered what it would be like if Black Jedis were slaves!? Let's explore that too! In fact here;s our pitch, a young jedi is raped into developing a higher medicholrean count and she becomes a super Jedi who decides to rescue Black Jedis from slavery!

We call it Star Wars: Confederate"

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang I didn't even realize this was coming up so quickly.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Judging by the wording of the tweets, I expect 79% with an average of 7.2 on RT. They're reading as fun, entertaining, and full of ham which usually bodes well if you just want to sit back and watch.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Great cast, great writer, great director, great aesthetic, great trailer.... can't believe it just might be great

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
the trailer was pretty meh so im surprised these reviews are THIS good

i figured it would be alright at worst. best movie in the past 2 years?

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
RJ hasn't made a bad film.

I'm glad to see this is fantastic as is others.

Really can't wait to see what he is cooking up for his trilogy

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Stoked, killer talent all around. Probably the most excited I'll be for a movie this year.
Not surprising. Rian's possibly the best 'young' director on American soil. Obv. Star Wars fanboys fill different, but take that controversial movie out of his filmography it was clear he was on a trajectory to make some classics
He's not young, and sadly he belongs to the same generation of filmmakers as Denis Villeneueve. But he is very good and definitely in the prime of his career.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Rian Johnson's redemption arc is at hand.

Just keep him away from Star Wars forever.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't tracking this movie at all, but now I'm hyped! Johnson is a fantastic writer/director.

OP
OP
Scrobbles

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
At a tight 130 minutes, there's no fat on Knives Out. It jumps right into the action, and never lets up, whisking us along for a madcap experience that blends screwball comedy, slapstick, dark humor, suspense, and really stylish fashion (dig those tweed suits Craig wears). Johnson's assured direction – quick cuts, characters bathed in shadow, and an ability to truly let a punchline land – is coupled with Steve Yedlin's inky, foggy, gorgeous cinematography, adding visual flair to an already enjoyable experience. I left the theater feeling absolutely giddy, and eager to see it again as soon as possible. Bet on it: Knives Out is one of the year's most entertaining films
9.5 out of 10 from /Film

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer sucked ass but everybody in front of and behind the camera had me excited for it regardless

Wadatah

Aug 8, 2018
Yeah, duh, because Rian Johnson is great. No matter what people who hate Rose or whatever want to believe, he's a fucking awesome writer and director.