• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Was excited to see this after he made the best Star Wars movie ever. Now even more excited to see it. The Rian Johnson streak continues.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the themes of this movie are white privilege and entitlement...

The script for knives out was written in january 2018...

Is this movie a response to all the toxic people that were harassing RJ after TLJ?

Hmmmm..

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much to love about Johnson's triumph, both as gratuitously enjoyable entertainment and the first film to take on the significance of a President Trump without lapsing into corny preachiness, and so little of it can be discussed here. Just suffice it to say that the genre maestro has his audience in good hands, "good" in this instance meaning both "skilled, capable, expert" and "decent, ethically sound." He's assembled a dazzling contraption that, if twisted in just the right way, pops open to reveal a nugget of wisdom crystallized by the cathartic final shot: we only really own what we earn. [A]

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rian Johnson is such a fascinating filmmaker in that he makes movies that are really well received, but no one you speak to about them seems to like them.
You know he's made things other than tlj?

People were so excited for tlj solely based on how good his previous movies were, try not to rewrite history due to the fact that people on the internet immediately lose brain cells and start diarrheaing from the mouth every time tlj is even hinted at these days.

Jan 15, 2018
You know he's made things other than tlj?

People were so excited for tlj solely based on how good his previous movies were, try not to rewrite history due to the fact that people on the internet immediately lose brain cells and start diarrheaing from the mouth every time tlj is even hinted at these days.

I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't. I'm a huge fan of the guy, but I feel like I've never met someone else who actually liked Looper or Brick other than myself.

In fact, I remember walking out of the theater at the end of Looper and being surprised how much a large portion of the audience hated it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't. I'm a huge fan of the guy, but I feel like I've never met someone else who actually liked Looper or Brick other than myself.
Well that's incredibly unfortunate then. I was turned onto those films by friends who were huge fans of him right before he was announced as tlj director. I actually don't know anyone ormersonally who's seen those movies who isn't a fan or at least considers them good movies.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

In fact, I remember walking out of the theater at the end of Looper and being surprised how much a large portion of the audience hated it.
I remember going to the cinema to watch looper with my cousins.

They all loved it, sometimes we still talk about the movie.

"Remember the last time Bruce Willis gave a shit?"

Jan 15, 2018
Well that's incredibly unfortunate then. I was turned onto those films by friends who were huge fans of him right before he was announced as tlj director. I actually don't know anyone ormersonally who's seen those movies who isn't a fan or at least considers them good movies.

Looper was especially weird because after seeing it and loving it I discovered that most of the discourse regarding the movie seemed to be about perceived plot holes and how that made the movie bad.

I think it's just one of those times where the general movie going population isn't that into science fiction movies.

With Brick, I have no idea what peoples problem is with that one, and no one I know who dislikes it has been able to properly articulate why they don't like it.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm so glad I loved The Last Jedi.

Not liking that movie seems like an endless curse which must be such a burden to bear, considering how many people in this thread and elsewhere seem compelled to drag their baggage everywhere nearly two years later.

Super stoked for Knives Out!
He's never going to live that down. Especially with his trilogy coming out, lol.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
sounds like ana de armas is getting raved for this

so deserved, she was great in BR 2049

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1

(Well, day 100 since that's how releasing movies still works for some reason)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite in October and Knives Out in November. Two of my favorite working directors.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm so beyond excited for this one, loved all of Rian's movies. Last Jedi was me going for the first time in my life twice at the theater for the same movie, really pumped hearing he nailed another genre yet again

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018

Me Me Me. Ive been following Rian since Brick. I was into weird indie movies back in highschool (2004-2007) and Brick was one of my favorite movies from that period. Was really weird when Looper got announced since him doing anything big budget was weird. Only movie of his I dont like is Brothers Bloom, but I think I was expecting something far different after Brick.
Brick is such a fun movie. I like that it plays with the noir tropes in a highschool, but then is also willing to mock that idea a bit when shit goes down and everyone realizes they are just playing dress up.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Great to hear that the movie is good because the trailer was weak.

Also lmao at this thread turning about Last Jedi again. You can talk about Rian without the need of mentioning TLJ.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He made a good movie.. I can't believe it

Oh my god lol the political subtext is going to light the net on fire

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am finding myself disagreeing with lot of critic opinions lately i will be the judge when i see it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
bandicam-2019-09-08-15-48-08-574.png

Nice start so far.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Even though I thought the trailer was shaky at best I'm still excited as hell for this. Early word sounds good

Hated TLJ but absolutely adore brick and looper.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
All of the talk about this being a film about America and it dealing with current day MAGA politics has me super interested. It's something that doesn't really come across in the trailers.