• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Selzer Queen of the Heartland has spoken:
Former Vice President Biden — who campaigned for president in Iowa ahead of the 1988 and 2008 caucuses and was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 1972 — tops the list of 20 declared and possible candidates tested in the poll. Thirty-two percent of respondents say he is their first choice for president.

Sanders, the U.S. senator from Vermont who narrowly lost in the 2016 Iowa caucuses to eventual nominee Hillary Clinton, follows Biden with 19 percent.

"This is obviously a warm welcome to some people who are really familiar to caucusgoers in the state," said J. Ann Selzer, president of Selzer & Co., the firm that conducted the poll. "But there's also some welcoming of newcomers who are only now starting to come to the state and get to know the people who could shape their future."

Thirty-six percent of poll respondents say a political "newcomer" is best suited to defeat the president.

In that role, Iowans currently favor Beto O'Rourke, the retiring U.S. representative from Texas who narrowly lost a U.S. Senate race to sitting Republican Ted Cruz. Though he lost, O'Rourke raised unprecedented amounts of money and drew national attention.

O'Rourke earns support from 11 percent of respondents, who say he's their first choice for president.

Eight percent say Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren is their first choice. No other candidate tops 5 percent.

Everyone loves Michelle and thinks she would contribute to the campaign, and no one wants Hillary.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Isnt it a bit early to start polling? i dont think its time yet to put a pulse on the people...atleast let us get out of 2018 first

Oct 25, 2017
All name ID basically. Although Beto is doing quite well considering he's not as known as Biden/Bernie/Warren.

4% unsure about Biden
4% unsure about Bernie
16% unsure about Warren

Compare that to:

36% unsure about Beto
41% unsure about Kamala

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt it a bit early to start polling? i dont think its time yet to put a pulse on the people...atleast let us get out of 2018 first
It's not, but this is important to keep in mind:

The most important thing we're learning from this poll: Beto's got much better name ID than the rest of the non-Warren/Biden/Sanders candidates at this point.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

The most important thing we're learning from this poll: Beto's got much better name ID than the rest of the non-Warren/Biden/Sanders candidates at this point.

Like Sanders, as his name recognition grows, his favorability can grow. I get that.

But its likely going to be a pretty crowded field, and in that field, he's going to have to do something to stand out. Is he going to play progressive champion Bernie, centrist "let's get back to sanity" Biden? A bit of both?

How he acts in a hypothetical primary would be interesting to see, but i don't think its a cake walk for him.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Pretty much.

This may as well be a brand recognition contest here. I doubt the average Iowa resident is thinking much of Kamala Harris or exposing themselves to much news that features her. Beto at least was in the public conciousness by giving Ted Cruz a run for his money.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden would be 79 before taking office. I don't see that as a viable option as it's older than the average life expectancy. Also, electing someone without a likely shot at a second term (he'd be 83 at that point) seems like a mistake to me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Sanders, as his name recognition grows, his favorability can grow. I get that.

But its likely going to be a pretty crowded field, and in that field, he's going to have to do something to stand out. Is he going to play progressive champion ala Bernie, centrist "let's get back to sanity" Biden? A bit of both?

How he acts in a hypothetical primary would be interesting to see, but i don't think its a cake walk for him.
I am probably going to go place a bet against Biden running using the money I earned from betting against Comstock.

There are all sorts of red flags coming out of his staggers right now that he's more likely to sit out than run, and that will radically reshape the opening of the race if it happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Beto is performing better than Warren despite twice as many people not knowing who he is. Again, it's early, but interesting nonetheless.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Really good result for Beto. It's Beto Bitch.

also lol Warren! Keep her away from the nukes next time.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am probably going to go place a bet against Biden running using the money I earned from betting against Comstock.

There are all sorts of red flags coming out of his staggers right now that he's more likely to sit out than run, and that will radically reshape the opening of the race if it happens.

What kind of red flags does biden keep dropping?

Bernie has been hedging himself not really committing one way or the other. If he doesn't run, i would have to change my whole criteria around and i half hope it happens just so i'd have to think about it a bit more

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You don't want Trump spending a whole campaign calling Biden a failure because he was Obama's president. People respond to that bullshit, sadly.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
These polls aren't that useful for laypersons, but they are a really valuable part of the shadow primary where candidates are trying to fill their staff out and get some early donor backing. Beto doing that well this early is a great sign.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
link to the actual poll results http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/12/15/rel1iademocrats.pdf

that Beto is at 23% 1st/2nd choice is pretty damn good considering name recognition compared to Biden/Bernie. Biden has been running in Iowa for like 40 years at this point, so it's not surprising that Iowans would know him best. To put it into perspective when Biden first ran in 88, Beto was 16 lol.

Beto should definitely run. He'll win.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is performing better than Warren despite twice as many people not knowing who he is. Again, it's early, but interesting nonetheless.
Warren in her 2018 Senate race under performed 2016 Hillary vs a no-name. I think the political reality of this one is kinda obvious to people even if they like her personally.
Biden with O'Rourke as VP?
Has apparently been floated by Biden's people in internal meetings as a entry point to the race, the implication that Biden would need help campaigning. And then that idea was leaked to the press.
These polls aren't that useful for laypersons, but they are a really valuable part of the shadow primary where candidates are trying to fill their staff out and get some early donor backing. Beto doing that well this early is a great sign.
Harris and Warren have been hard at work on this for a while. Gillibrand is completely LTTP here and if she doesn't run, I think that is the biggest reason why.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of red flags? Bernie has been hedging himself not really committing. If he doesn't run, i would have to change my whole criteria around and i half hope it happens just so i'd have to think about it a bit more
There have been articles with Biden insiders saying how rough the midterm campaigning was on him. And he's in good health!

A presidential campaign for himself would be ten times more exacting.

Jan 7, 2018
Dont care about the age the person is as long as their policies are good. As long as he/she picks a solid VP, the age question should not really factor into it.

My issues with Biden are def not that he's too old to run

I mean, any of them is obviously better than anything republican, but like, rather than dying, what if they develop dementia or something like that? It's not obvious early on... Didn't Reagan's Alzheimer actually start before his term ended?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of red flags does biden keep dropping?

Bernie has been hedging himself not really committing one way or the other. If he doesn't run, i would have to change my whole criteria around and i half hope it happens just so i'd have to think about it a bit more
A NYT rundown weeks back had a staff source saying that Biden found campaigning very difficult. And now we have the "well, can we just announce a joint ticket w/ Beto from day 1" (so that Beto can campaign so we don't have to?) which smells of the bargaining stage of grief.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were articles from biden folk floating Biden running with Beto from the get go. Makes me think Biden just doesn't have it in him. Too old (someone tells bernie he is also too old).

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, any of them is obviously better than anything republican, but like, rather than dying, what if they develop dementia or something like that? It's not obvious early on... Didn't Reagan's Alzheimer actually start before his term ended?
Reagan's problems are thought to have begun during the second term. He seemed pretty sharp during the '84 campaign (the "youth and inexperience" zinger), but who knows how much they shielded him.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I like Biden. But Beto is the candidate I'm rooting for.

Oh, don't forget that Bloomberg may run as a dem.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Warren really takes stock.

Beto is out there considering how little national coverage he got