• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Mod Edit:

Adding some context from a recent interview with Bioware:

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/anthem-hands-on-interview-1203115871/
There are no items, including cosmetics and emotes, that are only available for purchase with shards. Everything is either available for coin only or has a dual price, giving players the option of saving up their coin or dropping real money on shards for an emote or skin. The shop only sells cosmetics and not weapons, and there are no loot boxes.

Official response from Bioware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...atured_store_items_cost/eeveueh/?context=1000

Hey there! One thing to keep in mind is these don't represent final, stamped for all of eternity pricing. We are iterating on our economy design and balance almost daily, so you're seeing a snapshot of one iteration. This is why we tend to not discuss things like pricing, because it's one of those iterative things that's sure to change frequently right up until the day you play the game.

cva1pnurbfc21.png

Seems like it's going to be 100 shards / $1 which means an armor pack is $20, emote is $12 and $8 for a rare texture. Prices could obviously change since the game isn't out yet, but these prices seem in line with Fortnite's prices.

Last edited:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 bucks for those skins is insane if true. Will be interesting to see how much you need to play to get them without paying. Backlash is gonna be big if it's BF2 Darth Vader levels of grinding time

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they wholesale copied fortnites prices in order to not rock the boat. (Even though fortnite is F2P)

But this means nothing without context. I have no clue how many hrs is necessary to get these packs through play time.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I could see those prices in a free to play game. Fortnite has similar prices and Path of Exile charges around $20 to $30 for armor sets as well. There is just the minor sticking point that this game already costs $60 to begin with.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope "pack" means there are, like, 20 skins included for $20.00. But who am I kidding.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
$20 for an armor set is rough. I expected around $10, but then again, Fortnite has some skins that are around that price and people seem to be alright with paying that. The "but Fortnite is free" defense, only works for the first three $20 skins you buy. I know i've spent more than $60 on DLC during the time i played Fortnite.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Anthem does pique my interest a little, but I just can't bring myself to buy it with this in it, cosmetic or not. This is not a F2P game like Fortnite, this is a full priced game. $12 for an emote in a $60 game is an absolute disgrace, not that I would buy MTs at any cost anyway.

There are many, many games coming early this year much more deserving of my money and time that does not have this bullshit in them.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Anthem does pique my interest a little, but I just can't bring myself to buy it with this in it, cosmetic or not. This is not a F2P game like Fortnite, this is a full priced game. $12 for an emote in a $60 game is an absolute disgrace, not that I would buy MTs at any cost anyway.

There are many, many games coming early this year much more deserving of my money and time that does not have this bullshit in them.
You can earn everything in game by playing

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't be expecting microtransactions prices to be lower because the game is not F2P. Should they be? Yes. will they be? Absolutely not.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is forcing people to buy them. If this means free DLC then I'm all for it. Let the streamers and people who want to spend money on the game fund the DLC.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
need to see what launch prices look like but if their plan to fund all future content with this type of cosmetic DLC, I'm fine with it, barring the grind for coin isn't insane and that there is a way to preview these things. I'm more than happy to allow fans how want to spend more on cosmetics fund my future content

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
All I'm going to say is "cosmetic only" is a slippery fucking slope for a $60 game and honestly I do t trust EA not to completely fuck consumers over somehow. Leaning towards not buying this until time has passed and I can see how bad/good it is in this regard

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem has all gameplay relevant things free. (Including expansions) No lootboxes and prices that are close to other games. Not to mention there are other games with more scummy practices that people love, example lootboxes in overwatch where the game also still costs money. Anthem has no lootboxes and gives people a way to earn cosmetics in game.

People just see EA and hate.

Edit: Seriously how are people fine with Loot Boxes that reward actual pay to win items in Destiny and have to pay for expansions. Yet Anthem does neither yet people are fine with destiny model.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
If you don't have lootboxes, you're going to have high prices for items.

What matters is how easily you get "coin".

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not enough information just yet to tell how bad this is. We need to see what the grind is like and how that is affected by the content and game play loop in general. My initial take on it though is not that optimistic. We'll see though. I got worried when they said the Demo has completely different economy than launch.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
You can earn everything in game by playing

At an unreasonable cost of my time to coax me into using real money I'm sure...

Sorry for being so skeptical, but who can blame me?

Anthem is a game that interests me but with the warning "Approach with extreme caution" attached to it. I'm going to wait until at least a week after release.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Now I'm interested in finding out how easy it is to get some coin. It is clear that the shards will be the quickie way to get what you want, but if getting coins is the alternate way to get stuff, how easy is it to come across it. If you can make a decent earning just by playing the game and it isn't an unholy grind, then I might consider giving this a pass. Otherwise if the grind is hilarious broken where it feels like they are reaching into your pocket while telling you to buy shards, I'll treat Anthem like Destiny and trade the game after the main story is finished.