• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
We got first loom at cosmetics from the store

If I remember correctly most expensive items were 1500 Helix Points in previous two games, so prices for some items are increased.

And they added tattoos.

Previous prices for Helix points were around 10$ for 1050 points and 20$ for 2400 points.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see, and confirm, that I won't be getting even near to those horrendous designs anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I've not been bothered by the Ubi microtransactions, since in-game customisation has been phenomenal and not lacking in options. Odyssey especially was fantastic with the sheer amount of armours available.

My real concern was the purchaseable EXP boosts. The pacing in Odyssey & Origins were questionable, especially with how enemies 2-3 levels higher were exponentially more difficult, and story quests were dubiously spaced apart to force you to do out of your way to "farm" tedious missions.

They were 1-2 memorable side missions, but the vast majority was just awful padding.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind them putting in cosmetics. During my 200 hours with AC Odyssey I bought a costume I really liked and got plenty of stuff through daily and weekly quests as well.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This is par for the course in AC games since Unity. those games are always massive vehicles for MTX.
It is sad. But yeah, MTX are making so much money. Can't imagine a FromSoft game with this system.

Just don't buy cosmetics and enjoy the game?
But I'm sure you weren't interested in Valhalla at all, you're just looking for an excuse
An excuse for what ? I'm a big fan of AC, just too bad Ubisoft still does this, IMO.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That was to be expected. At least, if Odyssey is any indication, the DLC gear isn't really worth it anyway; you don't need the stats to be OP and I would argue most of the sets and weapons are actually overdesigned. But I'm saying that as someone who always tries to go for a 'basic' look in RPGs, so your mileage may vary.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm perfectly fine with cosmetic MTX because I usually just don't care enough about them to be bothered by the fact that I don't own them.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Ubisoft's handling of MTX is so goddamn atrocious. Been playing Siege for years now, and it's ridiculous how much grind they expect you to do to unlock the shittiest piece of headgear or anything, as if buying the year pass wasn't enough. Also, it's pretty weird how people dismiss Ubi's MTX in single-player games so casually while shitting on Shadow of War for its rightfully awful market place as well.

Also, the "it's just cosmetics" folk should watch this

and this

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I think I'll just stick with games like Ghost Of Tsushima, where you earn cosmetics by playing the game that you already paid $60 for.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Screw Ubi tbh. I take great pride in knowing I will not be buying any games of theirs new this year.

I don't mind MTX but I also know that this game is going to be a grind fest and late game will armour will lack the effort put into the MTX ones.

Not keen to pay for these games new, have to drop 50 hours grinding lame quests just to get an unfulfilling story and lame end game gear.

Y'all know it be like that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the same as in odyssey.

Thankfully the store in AC games are easily ignorable these days

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'm playing the game because I want to.

I'm not paying for any cosmetics because I don't want to.

Hopefully enough people like me exist that they get the message, although the fact that this stuff still exists tells me a lot of people are probably buying stuff.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The part that bothers me about MTX in AC is how in your face it is. You're smacked with it in the main menu and even when paused iirc. I shouldn't have to ever see that shit unless I want to.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The part that bothers me about MTX in AC is how in your face it is. You're smacked with it in the main menu and even when paused iirc. I shouldn't have to ever see that shit unless I want to.
This is straight up false. In my 60 hours of odyssey i saw the store exactly once

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Are they doing the same thing as Odyssey, and selling experience boosters and stuff?

I don't mind cosmetic stuff too much, and can ignore it, but Odyssey felt compromised to me and like it incentivized getting experience boosters.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
You can also buy upgrade resources for your gear (weapon etc) - but you cannot buy resources to upgrade / build your village.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Difference are tattoos and that one pack is now 2000 points and I don't remember that they were that much previously.
Dunno about prices since i don't remember them from the other games.

If it's anything like odyssey and origins you can get the stuff from ingame stuff though.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Remember when you could just unlock extra outfits in games? I do.... Even (when)/if they bump games up to $70 or $80 they are still going to do this stuff. Its sad.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Are they doing the same thing as Odyssey, and selling experience boosters and stuff?

I don't mind cosmetic stuff too much, and can ignore it, but Odyssey felt compromised to me and like it incentivized getting experience boosters.

And I think it's very much false sense of incentive because game is anything, but grindy or slow when it comes to level and power progression.

If you approach it like pre-Origins AC's then you will be screwed as crit path wont keep you at the level, but if you engage it as open world RPG-ish game like AC are now intended then you never will have issues with levels etc.

XP Booster being in MTX store just gives that false sense of "Do I need that? Is game bit slow to give me XP? 🤔 "

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Like the previous games I just use the in game gear or any redeemed via UPlay. I will never purchase cosmetics, and as always the choice is down to the consumer.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This is straight up false. In my 60 hours of odyssey i saw the store exactly once
You probably don't have to enter the store ever, but there are "ads" for it. Definitely in the main menu and I'm pretty sure in other places as well, but it's been a while.

If I could COMPLETELY ignore it, I'd be fine with it. But I can't.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Nice, development costs are insane, those companies can barely afford their running costs so it's good they found means of extra revenue. Hopefully people buy a lot of these stuff so the trends continues.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Well there is a section called Utilities that are selling resources much like Odyssey. If it's anywhere, it's probably in there. Last time they were called Time Savers though, so it's absence is notable.

You can also buy upgrade resources for your gear (weapon etc) - but you cannot buy resources to upgrade / build your village.

And if it's anything like Odyssey was, the amount you could buy was pitiful compared to how much Drachmae (now silver) and resources you got when you leveled up and the world leveled up around you.

The EXP and Gold Percent upgrades though, that's the concerning ones.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Last time they put the best horse armors on a paywall. It's really annoying.

Still not going to spend a single cent on mtx

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Par for the course for greedy publishers. And skins or cosmetics do matter otherwise games like league of legends would be bankrupt by now. Limiting the way in which people can express themself in your game behind a paywall is just scummy.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about prices since i don't remember them from the other games.

If it's anything like odyssey and origins you can get the stuff from ingame stuff though.

Hopefully it's not like Oikos, your odds to get anything you specifically wanted from Oicos were absurdly low with how it only had 2 premium items to buy a single week. Unless you want to pull the gacha slots box.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this stuff, but I can't really get worked up over it in a game like Assassin's Creed that comes with an absolute shitload of cosmetic options as part of the base game. I changed armour and weapons and outfits outfits all the time in Odyssey, had a great time playing Afashion's Creed and in like 60 hours I never once felt like I was missing out by not buying anything extra.

It's games that make all cosmetic stuff paid DLC and don't give you shit in the base game that really irk me. DMC5, for example, where you get fuck all from playing the game and all the alternate skins and weapons have a price tag attached. That's a situation where they literally took what was in-game unlockable content in previous games in the series and said "No, pay us extra this time".

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I think I'll just stick with games like Ghost Of Tsushima, where you earn cosmetics by playing the game that you already paid $60 for.

This is kind of an bullshit argument since in AC: Valhalla, there already are dozens of armor sets with different looks. There's a lot more option to customize your character in Valhalla than in Tsushima, Cosmetic Store or not.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
True but then again it's cosmetics so i couldn't care less.

Point is that it's how it starts. Remember how you could buy maps for collectables in AC2 and Brotherhood from shops you renovated and then they became "Time Savers" items you buy for real money? Publiahers will push things as far as they can.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

the experience booster in odyssey was so "essential" that they had to patch it with an option to turn it off cause people were getting levels too quickly

if you actually play the game you bought you never need it. if you just want to rush main quests treating it like a chore/job then yeah you will fall behind, as you would do in pretty much most other games

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is kind of an bullshit argument since in AC: Valhalla, there already are dozens of armor sets with different looks. There's a lot more option to customize your character in Valhalla than in Tsushima, Cosmetic Store or not.
It's not an argument. It's my stance. Feel free to spend money on this kind of shit.

"It's just cosmetic" is the kind of bullshit argument that had led to these kind of microtransactions seeping into single player games more and more.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This kind of thing is unacceptable. Won't buy the game.
You can earn cosmetics in-game - the vast majority are earned this way. Origins and Odyssey even gave you a system for earning store cosmetics by just playing the game. You guys are making mountains out of a mole hill. It's a great optional way of earning cosmetics, through direct purchase rather than loot boxes, that allows the game to be more profitable without raising the price of the game directly (a big reason most games have been $60 for so damn long).

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's not an argument. It's my stance. Feel free to spend money on this kind of shit.

"It's just cosmetic" is the kind of bullshit argument that had led to these kind of microtransactions seeping into single player games more and more.

You are framing it as if Tsushima is special because you can "earn cosmetics by playing the game that you already paid for". That's an argument. And it's plain wrong since, in AC: Valhalla, you can earn many, many more cosmetics by playing the game you already paid for.

I get the principle of it, but then you should really only argue with the principle. "I won't buy it, no matter how many cosmetic customization options there are already in the game, because giving me further cosmetic options via an in-game store is unacceptable to me". That would be a lot more understandable than trying to frame as if Tsushima gives you more options for free than Valhalla, a huge role-playing game with dozens and dozens of armor and weapon options.