• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is sarcasm at the "but it's just cardboard" crowd or not, but if you go into any craft store or even Target and look at Washi Tape, a single roll of can be like $2-6 depending on the width. The pack includes 2 rolls and 2 sets of stickers if I remember correctly?
no actually i find that one expensive. for the other two packs (i preordered both) i feel that the software is 50-60 bucks so you are paying 20 for the cardboard and wires. thats okay in my book.
wow people on here are really out of touch with how much things costs. A single roll of duct tape is usually $3-4. Colored/Patterned tape go for $5 plus.
you may be right.. i buy them at the 1 euro store.. not high quality stuff and brown or white..

anyways the nintendo stuff is purely decorational too so i guess you can skip it if you dont want it.. also i wasted loads of money on nintendo memorabilia already so..

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No, and it's not your place to give orders around, either.
But I'm going to stop posting in this thread entirely, on the other hand, because it got incredibly unpleasant incredibly quickly.
I can feel the bloodlust.

- Insults everyone.
- Pretends he doesn't know the word he used is insulting.
- Keeps pretending to be right when confronted with the literal definition of the term.
- Blames "thread getting incredibly unpleasant incredibly quickly" on others.
- Accuses others of "bloodlost".
Classy!

Did my mild irony really upset you so much?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
no actually i find that one expensive. for the other two packs (i preordered both) i feel that the software is 50-60 bucks so you are paying 20 for the cardboard and wires. thats okay in my book.

you may be right.. i buy them at the 1 euro store.. not high quality stuff and brown or white..
Do we know how expensive it'll be here in the states yet? A quick Google told me it's around $11, and considering I've seen sticker packs that cost $7 by themselves before, I'd estimate $10-15 for a couple rolls of Washi Tape and some stickers seems about right to me.

Something to remember is, even breaking it down and looking at the kits as $50 for the game and $20 for the cardboard, that $20 for cardboard is actually extremely inexpensive when compared to similar kits. Those pinball machines posted on the other page, for example, are $65 each. Crafting kits are expensive ):

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
I don't "hate" it. I just think it will be HILARIOUSLY successful without deserving it.

Loads of neckbeard dads are going to buy this stuff deluding themselves into imagining the "bonding time of their life" with their children.

Meanwhile in the real world: any child above 5 years of age will get tired of this stuff in half a day and kick it in the corner of a room to go back to whatever kept him/her busy before.
Also, I find a bit questionable in principle this idea of giving to small children a cardboard toy ready to abuse, while embedding a 300+ dollars electronic device into it.

Then again I'm sure Nintendo will be more than happy to sell the replacements as well.

This is very depressing

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Showed the trailer to my 7 year old.
She desperately wants it, now. Can't wait for her birthday, so going to use her own money to buy it when it comes out. "Looks better than Minecraft" according to her

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be a fly on the wall at Sony's and Microsoft's meetings today.

Like, I don't think they're worried about it because it's targeting kids, but I would love to hear their reactions. "What the crap, Nintendo..."
They're not worried because it's not a market they currently serve. But if Labo takes off you better believe they will both try to get into this market. Maybe not in the same manner, but an attempt will be made.

Microsoft and Sony were probably not worried when Nintendo unveiled the Wii either, but not longer after they both had some type of motion controlled gaming. lol

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how expensive it'll be here in the states yet? A quick Google told me it's around $11, and considering I've seen sticker packs that cost $7 by themselves before, I'd estimate $10-15 for a couple rolls of Washi Tape and some stickers seems about right to me.

Something to remember is, even breaking it down and looking at the kits as $50 for the game and $20 for the cardboard, that $20 for cardboard is actually extremely inexpensive when compared to similar kits. Those pinball machines posted on the other page, for example, are $65 each. Crafting kits are expensive ):
sure. i have to justify the price to myself and thats how i do it. ;). i also bought some papercraft stuff in japan in the past and that shit was really expensive.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Settle down. It may well be something very young children will enjoy for a while. I don't think there is a great all ages kind of cross over appeal to this thing.
I wonder how it is that Lego became the number one toy in the world recently and have managed to stick around for like 70 years when it's just some plastic bricks you plug together, they don't even have computers or motors most of the time! And that $350 Mindstorm set is still selling in 2018 when it came out all the way back in 2013. Very curious.

This is very depressing
Glad I'm not the only one at least even though your reaction was much more reasonable than mine :\

sure. i have to justify the price to myself and thats how i do it. ;). i also bought some papercraft stuff in japan in the past and that shit was really expensive.
Oh yes, of course. Yeah we can all rationalize it by reminding ourselves that crafting kits are usually way more expensive, what a deal we're getting! Thanks Nintendo! :p

I've been justifying the cost to myself by going "Well if it was plastic it'd be even more expensive and they'd all be sold separately instead of in a big DIY bundle. Plus at BestBuy I get a 20% discount with GCU so I'm actually saving money hand over fist! Please let my tax return get here before April 20th...!" Hahaha

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
There also seems to be a component where you can make custom Toy-Cons and experiment.

Figuring out custom pully systems and elastic wierdness will be a stimulating experience.

ContentSillyIbadanmalimbe-max-1mb.gif

That makes sense actually, that man cutout might be meant to show that you can cut out your own stuff and try and make it do stuff. Basically try and work out how to do stuff similar to what the pre designed stuff is showing.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not worried because it's not a market they currently serve. But if Labo takes off you better believe they will both try to get into this market. Maybe not in the same manner, but an attempt will be made.

Microsoft and Sony were probably not worried when Nintendo unveiled the Wii either, but not longer after they both had some type of motion controlled gaming. lol
skiddles!

eqUa0.gif

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it is that Lego became the number one toy in the world recently and have managed to stick around for like 70 years when it's just some plastic bricks you plug together, they don't even have computers or motors most of the time! And that $350 Mindstorm set is still selling in 2018 when it came out all the way back in 2013. Very curious.

Glad I'm not the only one at least even though your reaction was much more reasonable than mine :\
im not up to date with lego but i think they do have now lego that works with apps and stuff? actually id love nintendo and lego to work together to make a labo lego project..

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Settle down. It may well be something very young children will enjoy for a while. I don't think there is a great all ages kind of cross over appeal to this thing.

While I think this type of product taps into a child's innate curiosity, it's obviously geared towards kids with certain inclinations. I can envision a 6 year old totally being absorbed in building a piano and a 12 year old walking away after the first 5 minutes. Age is less a factor than personal interest and attention span IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
People who hate this should reestablish communications with that little inner child they exiled to Siberia. Poor baby.

It's clearly for kids. So what? If Nintendo wants to last another 100 years, it needs to bring fresh blood and not cater to grown ups who already have Murder Simulators to call their own on the other systems.

(I'm unlikely to buy anyway because I wouldn't actually use it. I would set it up and display it and yell at people for touching it like the guy in the Lego Movie, lol)
I hated arts and crafts as a child my inner child thinks this is stupid.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
When you're out of arguments, leave in a huff. Such a class act he's been, he'll be sorely missed.
"Yayyyy, out with the douche!"

Seriously, not defending the guy by any means...but I wish people (and by that I mean the internet) would just ignore some of this type of stuff sometimes, rather than scrutinizing which then leads to piling on.

And nothing against you either Weltall, just a general point I wanted to make.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck. This looks rad as fuck. My daughter is only 2 and a bit so too going but i would totally build this stuff with her if she was a bit older.

Nintendo is amazing i swear they give their designers mushrooms and just say 'go nuts'

Edit: you can tell its going to be a megahit because 63 fucking pages

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

I think any kids into crafting, building, physics, and motor type games could get a lot longer use out of this. All kids, probably not...and maybe not yours. But a lots of the papercraft, stem construction set, lego type stuff remains very popular far past that age group

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Please stop sniping at each other and get back on topic. Arguing over a kids cardboard construction toy is probably not the best hill to choose to die on.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I do, and while he was crude about it, I don't think he was wrong. I can't see this keeping the attention of most kids any older than 6 or 7 for more than a few hours.

Honestly I do have a problem figuring out what age this is targetted at, however... most children under 7 arent even remotely able to assemble this not to mention use it in a way for it to be fun (piano) or controll themself or the cardboard hardware.

Now a bunch of 7-9 year olds might still have difficulties assembling but most should manage to assemble and decorate (with help from an adult).

While the topics might not be for your children doesn't mean it is not for anyone. Especially creative children will have a lot of fun with this. Even if each module just had 7 hours invested in it in playtime, plus 2-4 hour assemble and decorating time this comes down with approx 50 hours for the whole set.

Deleted member 36767

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Chicago
When you're out of arguments, leave in a huff. Such a class act he's been, he'll be sorely missed.

After reading this post I wondered what was going on so I looked...Wow. This guy is making fun of parents for wanting to build stuff with their kids? On a video game forum of all places? Very odd. I would assume he thinks video games transcend the idea of "toys" and parents don't play video games with their children either.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
This has STEM written all over it.
I mean I get that, building and experimenting always have some educational benefit I just think other products with a narrower focus than a video game system would be better tools. Like wouldn't it be better to build a car that can teach kids something about actual cars and not hd rumble? Same with the piano and the ir camera. Admittedly I haven't gone through all the promo material yet so I may be missing something.

Also I don't know comfortable I am with my 3 year old running around the house with my Switch tucked in a little cardboard enclosure lol. But maybe she's too young for this.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Folks should give kids more credit, not all of them have destructive tendencies or low attention spans. We live in a world where Scratch is a popular medium for kids to craft games as complex as they would like. If the Labo has programming capabilities, it will reward creativity.

I'm actually interested in the virtual pet feature, wouldn't that be cool with Pokemon integration?

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
I love the idea, even though it's obviously not intended for adults. I'd reckon this will be a pretty big hit.

I'm sure Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the "very mature hardcore gamer", I'm sure there is some fun coming towards you guys too. Labo wasn't even announced at a mini direct.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Not gonna lie. This is the first time I got to actually look at this since it was announced, and it's actually really really cool. It's always great to expand and have new ideas and I think Nintendo hit it out of the park with this one. I'm sure it'll do great with kids since they love stuff like this.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Yayyyy, out with the douche!"

Seriously, not defending the guy by any means...but I wish people (and by that I mean the internet) would just ignore some of this type of stuff sometimes, rather than scrutinizing which then leads to piling on.

And nothing against you either Weltall, just a general point I wanted to make.

If he accidentally insulted people, then retracted, I'd have no issue, but playing dumb, nah man.

Also he wasn't done with his class act; he just PMed me calling me "insane", "abusive" and "rabid". :)