• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
You mean... since the very beginning of Nintendo?

- D-Pad
- Battery saves in cartridge
- R.O.B.
- Power Pad
- NES Zapper
- Super Scope
- Shoulder buttons
- Game Boy Camera
- Super Game Boy
- Virtual Boy
- 4 player ports built-in to console
- Rumble
- RAM Expansion Pak
- Connectivity
- Motion control
- IR aiming
- Disconnected controller pieces
- Glasses-free 3D gaming
- HD Rumble
- Amiibo

... and many others?

This kind of experimentation and innovation is in their blood and always has been.
How dare you ?
How did you forget the one ruling everything, the iconic POWER GLOVE ! ;-)

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
given how popular the travelers tales games are i doubt they will give up any time soon. think about a labo compatible lego set. like a piano contraption but made with lego (which would be much more sturdy)..
Oh I don't think they're gonna give up on video games, especially the Tt stuff. I meant they might have thrown in the towel on the "toys to life" aspect of it. And while yes, the idea of a Lego piano that's even more advanced than the Labo one is amazing, what they really want to do (or at least wantED to do) is figure out a way to let people build whatever they want in the real world, and then play with it in the game world. And honestly that seems (or, again seemED) to be what Lego fans want/ed as well. I can build a little Batmobile and scan it into Dimensions and it'll be there, but if I use red bricks to build mine and scan it it's just gonna show up as the normal black Batmobile in the game. If I added a larger booster on the back or put a robotic claw coming out of the top, those won't exist in Dimensions. That's the problem Lego hasn't figured out yet.

BOY the GCU discounts sure make buying these go down smooth.
No kidding, Variety Pack goes from $70 -> $55 and the Robot Pack goes from $80 -> $64. Much more palatable.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so! I don't know how they can do it but I think the holy grail for Lego in terms of gaming will be some way to transfer something you've built in real life into a digital space. They tried it with the cameras in tablets but it was so limited and expensive that is just... it was almost a non starter. They had done it a few years before that too with something called... I think it was Life of Jacob? I don't remember the name but it was another attempt to build something -> put it in a game that didn't do well. Dimensions was cool and it was tricky with the multiple mini builds that could "transfer" into the game with the portal, but it's still not "build whatever you want and then play with it in the game". I haven't worked at the company for a couple years now so I'm not sure what they're cooking up next or if they've finally given up but I know for a while at least that bridge between physical and digital is something they've really wanted to figure out.

One of the bonuses to Nintendo doing this is that a key aspect of it is the IR Camera which literally every single Switch owner already has. So that alone cuts down on the cost of making Labo packs. Lego doesn't have a system in place with a built-in scanner so I don't know how they could do it, because they'd have to sell parents on buying a whole new platform or accessory in addition to the parts kits. The Dimensions base/starter kit alone was a hill a lot of parents couldn't get over, kids would want a Harry Potter Fun Pack or the Sonic the Hedgehog Level Pack, and sure ok those are $15-30 bucks but then you also have to buy a $100 portal and that's also assuming you already own the $300 console it plugs into.

Photogrammetry combined with some deep learning algorithms could be a solution - have the app/game create a 3D mesh of the object by getting the user to take photos or videos of it from different angles, then use machine learning to detect what elements of the mesh are Lego bricks along with their type and colour, then reconstruct the object using 3D versions of those bricks.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a bit of a weird thought:

Lego has been fairly supportive of Nintendo. Lego City Undercover was originally a Wii U exclusive, and Lego Worlds marketing always seemed to be focus on the Switch.

Will this change now that Nintendo is getting more into the toy space? Libo and lego aren't direct competitors, but they're definitely largely competing for the same market.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Photogrammetry combined with some deep learning algorithms could be a solution - have the app/game create a 3D mesh of the object by getting the user to take photos or videos of it from different angles, then use machine learning to detect what elements of the mesh are Lego bricks along with their type and colour, then reconstruct the object using 3D versions of those bricks.
Yeah it gets really tricky the more complex your build becomes. Cause on the more advanced cars and stuff, they have a lot of hidden mechanics that a camera couldn't see, like being able to stick your finger through the window to turn the steering wheel which then rotates the front tires, or having the back wheels make the car's engine look like its pistons are pumping. I don't know how they could simplify the process enough that anyone outside of enthusiasts would use it (like LDD or simply rebuilding your physical model part by part in-game). Lego's whole thing to everything they make is something like, "Would a 7-year old German boy like this" and if the answer is no, they don't make it. :\

Lego has been fairly supportive of Nintendo. Lego City Undercover was originally a Wii U exclusive, and Lego Worlds marketing always seemed to be focus on the Switch.

Will this change now that Nintendo is getting more into the toy space? Libo and lego aren't direct competitors, but they're definitely largely competing for the same market.
Lego only have one product that's anywhere close to what Labo is/does, which is Mindstorms. But not only is it far more advanced (at least from what we know, since MS has actual computer coding) it's also old as hell. If nothing else this might spur Lego to finally make a Mindstorms v4.

Oct 25, 2017
That steering wheel looks even more intricate than the robot. The internals are crazy. I just realized that tab in the middle probably honks the horn...

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017
I just watched the trailer for this and thought it was amazing. Not for me obviously but children will love this.

This is not for most of the people on this board, and if you are upset about it not being a new first party game you should realize that.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I think we will see a lego base on Nintendo Labo next year.

As it will be based on lego, i think it will be better since it will be more durable.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will see a lego base on Nintendo Labo next year.

As it will be based on lego, i think it will be better since it will be more durable.

You can't fold lego though, or draw on it. Obviously there are ways to design around this but I don't think it would be as good overall.

Lego only have one product that's anywhere close to what Labo is/does, which is Mindstorms. But not only is it far more advanced (at least from what we know, since MS has actual computer coding) it's also old as hell. If nothing else this might spur Lego to finally make a Mindstorms v4.

I was thinking more along the lines of "toys for kids who like to build things".

I don't see Lego partnering with Mattel, for example, even though the kinds of toys Mattel makes are very different from Lego.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Do I preorder now or wait and see if it's available around May for my daughter's birthday? Anyone expect shortages?

I'd preorder now since you can always cancel and its best to be prepared. In saying that if you need it last minute you can always just buy a digital version of the software and hit up a craft store for the cardboard. Nintendo is releasing all the plans online for people to make their own replacement parts

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, probably see it more like the Villager, where the look can vary pretty greatly but it still has the same moveset, whereas the Miis are more strongly linked to customization.

I mean, the thing's a literal Transformer.

I was imagining something like the mii strapped into the cardboard. His actions would be like Bayonetta summoning her demon for punches and kicks only it's the mech. Some moved you could fully have it transform or even just have the mii always surrounded around by a translucent mech. I just feel that the mech being you (or in this case your mii) is important to what it is.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking more along the lines of "toys for kids who like to build things".

I don't see Lego partnering with Mattel, for example, even though the kinds of toys Mattel makes are very different from Lego.
That's because Mattel is a direct competitor to Lego, because Mattel makes MegaBloks (which are now called Mega Construx since the brand got so tainted for being complete garbage quality). They also don't work with Hasbro because Hasbro has Kre-O.

In fact, Hasbro has sued Lego before, but Lego still continues to make sets off of licenses shared with Hasbro. But it's because of Hasbro that you will never be able to buy any Marvel, DC, or Star Wars Lego Minifigures on their own. They either have to be in sets, literally bolted to a magnet, or a keychain. Otherwise, they're "action figures" and Hasbro will sue them again.

I think Labo and normal Lego sets are different enough that it won't cause any kind of rift, reducing them to "kits you build something with" puts Lego in competition with all kinds of other companies. If that 4Chan PixelBits rumor had been true, maybe Lego would get bent and try to do something. But even when Amiibo and Lego Dimensions were both considered "Toys to Life" (even though, again, Dimensions was much different than amiibo) they still worked with Nintendo all through the Wii U and 3DS and now onto Switch.

Last edited:

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This has been said for every second Switch repeated product release. The price is okay... You just aren't that into the product so the only thing left for you is imagine a price point where it still would be a viable purchase for you.

Like someone who doesn't like shooters and think COD should be 20 bucks instead of 60.

I don't wanna know how many hours Nintendo wasted on developing, testing and quality control on this thing so that even Kids can have a entertaining time with it. People tend to downplay the invested ressources of every project the moment it doesn't look like your typical AAA release. Wii Sports looked simple too and was probably one of the most expensive Wii projects all things considered.

If this takes off, it's pretty much the base setup for a new plattform.

So, what is the justification of a $70 price tag when we both know cardboard is cheap and the game included isn't some super high budget production. Look, I don't have any issues with the overall concept of the Labo, but at least price it more realistically.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
F-ZERO NX + LABO Steering Wheel Compatibility = Adults paying upwards of $70 dollars for cardboard to go with their $60 game.
And we will be pleased about it.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Think about it this way. Say 50 dollars is for the software. 20 bucks for the kit. That's the Variety Pack. 70 bucks.

Robot Pack. 80 bucks. 50 dollar software and 30 bucks for the kit.

These kits include all the parts and all the packs needed to construct the crafts you're making. Not just the cardboard.

And even if that's a bust for you. You can always provide the cardboard yourself. You can provide the elastic bands, the rope, everything yourself. Designs are going to be free online, one assumes the software can be sold separately. These are the prices for the pre-made bundles to give you.

I'm sorry, but a collection of tech demos doesn't justify a $50 price tag lone and the extra $20 - $30 for preshaped cardboard cutouts is beyond greedy.

F-ZERO NX + LABO Steering Wheel Compatibility = Adults paying upwards of $70 dollars for cardboard to go with their $60 game.
And we will be pleased about it.

At least a game like F-Zero would justify a $50 - $60 price tag by itself.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm sorry, but a collection of tech demos doesn't justify a $50 price tag lone and the extra $20 - $30 for preshaped cardboard cutouts is beyond greedy.

At least a game like F-Zero would justify a $50 - $60 price tag by itself.

What determines how much a piece of SW is worth? A new F-zero would be lucky to have 1/10th of the budget of something like GTAVI so why should it cost the same? What inherently makes the SW in labo worth less than any other SW?

It comes down to demand and at this early stage labo appears to have that.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
What determines how much a piece of SW is worth? A new F-zero would be lucky to have 1/10th of the budget of something like GTAVI so why should it cost the same? What inherently makes the SW in labo worth less than any other SW?

Yeah, if people want to make the bill of materials argument, then everything is overpriced. I wonder how much the Lord of the Rings trilogy is worth if the only thing that matters is the paper it's printed on?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm hoping that Nintendo delayed Switch rewards for My Nintendo so they could offer exclusive Toy-Con as the first rewards.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Well, I will admit I don't understand the modern Nintendo market. I've pretty much disliked everything Nintendo has done post GC era, so I guess I'm biased.

Nov 3, 2017
Ok so here's my dream scenario / worst nightmare:

A Nintendo Labo house where you can put your amiibos in and they show up as residents in your virtual doll house

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Well, I will admit I don't understand the modern Nintendo market. I've pretty much disliked everything Nintendo has done post GC era, so I guess I'm biased.

This has literally nothing to do with Nintendo. Every company prices their SW based on what they think it's worth not what it costs. You've done nothing to explain why for example a new F-zero is worth more than labo or why labo is worth less than any other piece of SW. What makes Nintendo greedy here exactly that all other game companies aren't guilty of with very game they release?

Edit: sorry it doesn't have nothing to do with Nintendo but your argument about greed and SW value applies across the board.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I honestly would say "modern Nintendo" isn't really any different than they've ever been. What's been happening I think is third party support helped diversify the older consoles' lineups, and as that started dwindling these titles became more apparent to people who focused more on the kinds of games third parties make.

Having said that, I understand if it's not your thing. I'm beyond happy thatthere's enough diversity in the market for both of us to have a console that caters to our preferences. :)

The advantage would be that the IR sensors are places near the TV, so it would have a point of reference. You wouldn't need to recalibrate the controller's gyro.
See, I was never really bothered much by recalibrating, it's usually a fairly convenient button press.

That sensor bar drove me crazy, though!