• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Forces isn't for you. Stop getting pissed over things that aren't for you.
Nickelodeon isn't for you. Stop getting pissed over things that aren't for you.

Nintendo isn't for you. Stop getting pissed over things that aren't for you.

When are you people gonna get your heads out of your asses and realize that our voices matter? We shouldn't just accept things because "it's for kids." THIS was for kids
bambi-the-real-reason-walt-disney-killed-off-bambi-s-mom-will-break-your-heart-jpeg-134495.jpg

So was this

It's not an excuse, we should call out companies that do this no matter what.

Dude....it's a toy, for kids, kids like toys. This doesn't mean switch isn't going to get more games and it doesn't effect you personally. Step away from the keyboard and breath.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
judging by the activity in this thread Nintendo is on to something here

holiday 2018 is going to be huge for them

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched this. My only reaction was: really? Am I supposed to be impressed by this? Good for kids maybe, but I wouldn't want this as a kid. And $70 for some pieces of cardboard? It's absurdly overpriced. Really weird stuff. Seems like the type of thing you might assemble, use once or twice, realize the software isn't very deep, then forget about.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
User was warned : For console-wars rhetoric.
$500 for a PS4 Pro with 4K graphics and video games that respect my intelligence

OR

$70 for cardboard baby's first video game for noobs?

ROFL. GG Nintendo!

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly feel sorry for the people who have so little imagination that they can't see how fantastic this is.

I'm not surprised though. Not at all.

Gamers.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Forces isn't for you. Stop getting pissed over things that aren't for you.

When are you people gonna get your heads out of your asses and realize that our voices matter? We shouldn't just accept things because "it's for kids." THIS was for kids
bambi-the-real-reason-walt-disney-killed-off-bambi-s-mom-will-break-your-heart-jpeg-134495.jpg

So was this

Yes, we get it. You want hardcore games for hardcore gamers like yourself.

Oct 28, 2017
Warning: "Console War" post
this is fascinating and not in the way i expected.its a social experiment on how far they can make their fans defend anything

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I am interested to see how this is structured. Are you able to just print these pieces off yourself in the event they are damaged?

Cardboard isn't the sturdiest of materials.. especially around kids.

I'm picturing cardboard covered in grease and snot and God knows what else. I'm constantly giving my 8 year old hell about washing his hands and keeping his 3DS/Switch clean.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
The piano thing is kinda cool, but stuff like building a cardboard fishing rod then reeling it, how many seconds will that be fun for

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I was skeptical that the reveal would be something impactful, but man this has me so hyped. Being able to do this with my kids or letting them do it themselves.... Actually having them learn how the mechanics of it works... this is awesome.

Nov 21, 2017
As a kid who loved to build shit, I think this looks rad. I would have BEGGED my parents for it.

I could lego, and then game with my legos!

As an adult I will obviously not be buying this. If I had kids though...

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is super creative, me as a kid in the 90s and early 2000s would really be into this since this gives me strong Lego vibes.

Outside of the game community this could be huge imo, but they have to showcase the creation and software parts of it well.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool, if this came out when I was a kid I'd be begging my parents for it, and my dad would probably make me a bad knockoff himself instead lol

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why should anyone be banned for stating their opinion? It's cardboard!!! You can go to the supermarket and get it for FREE and it's double the durability.
Yes, that the only thing you're supposed to pay for! Not the development cost, production, distribution or the software ... Nintendo wants 70$ for a piece of cardboard.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think the concept is good and would appeal to kids, but...70$ USD for that?

The Switch's price is already prohibitive for parents to buy for their children, so that's wayy overpriced imo.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Well... after the first few minutes getting angry for no reason, and after reading about it and carefully thinking : yes this thing might be worth that price and might be big if advertised enough.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if a grasp the concept of this, why can I just, say, play the motorbike or the fishing game without the cardboard?
Is this like those plastic golf club/tennis racquet for the wiimote or there's something else to it?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought of something that could be a genuine problem. A few of these "Toy-Cons" require you to put the Joy-Cons in various places away from the switch unit. The Robot pack in particular appears to have a joycon placed behind the user:

KUvgivv.png

This could cause issues with anyone (like me) with first generation Joy-Cons, as they have problems with transmission when held behind a user. However, this could only be an issue if it is being held in a user's hand (Poor insulation on the antenna) and might not present itself in this context.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be an issue?

Interference + Distance

Isn't the console literally less than 2-3 feet away from that joycon (in the headset)
Also, isn't the left joycon the one more susceptible to interference? The IR camera is in the right one.

I don't know if a grasp the concept of this, why can I just, say, play the motorbike or the fishing game without the cardboard?
Is this like those plastic golf club/tennis racquet for the wiimote or there's something else to it?

except for the part where you - you know - build them, and have an understanding of how the parts move and fit into one another.
The fascination with lego mindstorms isn't "having a robot that can detect when a light is pointed at it". It's building the robot, understanding which motor does what, programming it.

This is similar, just for kids way younger than what Mindstorms is aimed at.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realised that a lot of these games use the IR camera on the right Joycon!

The Piano Game has an IR check screen!

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
This should be really fun actually. It's a breath of fresh air :D Will have to see how it actually performs in reality first of course. I wonder if bigger titles may adopt toy-cons in the future. like Pokemon etc.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo, those crazy geniuses lol.
Not for me, I think, but bravo, very outside the box thinking.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
For those complaining about price, give it a week after release, tops, before someone uploads a template on how to build these yourself with normal cardboard boxes. I guarantee it.

That would be really weird for Nintendo. It will probably have some kind of NFC chip in the cardboard so you can't do that.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely not my sort of thing (I expected so when it was mentioned that it would be aimed for kids), but the concept is so bizarre that I'd probably be into this as a kid. It's like Nintendo's interpretation of LEGO.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
It's not for me but this is incredibly clever. The mechanics of the design. The idea of bringing every day materials into life using everything that was already included in the Switch console. Great stuff.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

So was this

Oh my god this post

I'm at work and burst out laughing XD

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
This is cool but how the hell do some of those things work.

The one with the little cardboard man with the joy con on his back. Where are the parts that are making him move?!

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the people who are disappointed, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Anyway, this looks potentially cool. My older son would probably love this. Won't have a Switch for a while yet, but when I do he'll want some of this stuff.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So was this

Wow, just wow.