• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Great catch.

ZDFdTq6.png

9kNWH1L.png

TbWWDem.png

Sorry, I am confused. What exactly am I looking at?

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Love the new features, I think that PiP suggestions, help videos and the ability to jump straight into levels and particular activities without using the game menus are QOL changer features that will become so successful that others will be forced to follow suit.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Some really great points raised here and a couple that I have missed:

1) In game help as an accessibility feature being locked behind the plus paywall - this was something that I missed before but it is definitely there and mentioned and now that I know, I think that is quite a shit move tbh. While we don't know if this community or developer or a combination driven in terms of the feature (you would think developer), locking this extra work by either party to a plus sub I think means that this feature will be DOA for third party games if it is solely developer driven and they don't get any slice of the plus revenue.

2) The tiles on the home screen to select games are small. Like I hope there is an option to customise that and make those tiles at least double the size hopefully. Otherwise I think unless you scroll through, those tiles would be hard to see some titles names at an average distance away(for me at least).
From the video, sony said the "OFFICIAL" game help will be available for some PS games. Meaning that is something they would most likely do for their first part games and something third party pubs can do if they want to. Whatever the case though, someone has to host those videos and set them up. Hene the paywall.

I look at it this ay, it's an added feature. A bonus. And they can choose to make official help videos for some games on their OS a perk of their subscription service. I don't see why or how thats a problem.

Now if the videos are made by the community? Then that's a different matter entirely, and then it would be wrong to put it behind a paywall unless they also have a way for monetizing it for the community makers. And it doesn't matter if third parties support the game help thing or not. For the games that have it it would be great, for those that don't.. well it would just as it is on other platforms then. Hell, its even a possibility that it would be outsourced by sony to a company/group of people that are being paid to ake those hint videos and they can get added to the games after release. That way the feature will be there for first and their parties alike.

Jun 7, 2020
"Resorting to a web search" for tips on a trophy seems to be very easy though. That's without betting on the game supporting Game Help or being subscribed to PS Plus. I don't know. It seems meaningless as a selling point.

More importantly, the UI looks very nice!

For someone that has PS+ it's fantastic if the developers implement it. The narrator made the point of getting straight to a video guide without needing to search or possibly getting any spoilers.

There have been a few times I've wanted to know how to get a particular trophy, or whether what I was doing is something that might count towards one, and trying to get info is a minefield of spoilers, 30 second intros, or the the video I find has pretty much all of them and you have to track through it to find the right bit, which usually spoils some other secrets you would have likely found yourself.

If you don't have PS+ then it's not a big reason to get it. If you already have it as I do, this kind of integration—if implemented—is genuinely excellent in my opinion.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Coming back after watching this a few times I hate nearly everything about it. Hopefully it will let me disable all the cards etc and just have a list of games.

Saying that I also hated the ps4 ui compared to the xmb

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
why are the icons on the Home Screen so small?

Could be because of the resolution. Like on PC the higher it goes the smaller icons get. Hopefully they have customizations for that. Or simply changing resolutions in the settings or just based on your TV will affect the icon size.
I found it extremely redundant and confusing, with screenshots and icons placed everywhere, which create an absurd visual noise.

First of all the "cards" of Sackboy with a screenshot as background, then the classic circle with the hinge to symbolize the level and at the top left the game logo, all of that with multiple white writings (of various formats and sizes) without outline or shadows to make them more readable:

sackboy.png

The one indicated with the arrow should be the game logo, good luck to understand something from that, it is a splash of colors on a screenshot.

The main menu is no exception:

IZr0Ekb.jpg

Destruction AllStar selected with giant screenshot in the background, another game logo on the bottom left and again the game logo on the right with a the price tag (why if I'm already playing it? Are they showing demos? I don't understand ...).

How many times do you want to tell us that we're on Destruction AllStar?

And then, again, these screenshots placed everywhere are ugly:

explore.png

Random image of PS5 taken by Google with other screens and writing scattered everywhere, it seems to be on one of those sites that want to be cool with screens and transparencies placed everywhere but then they are a pain to browse.

I find it really ugly, I'll rather get the PS4 interface all day with a theme of your choice and the big squares, a lot cleaner.

I get this complaint. Hopefully things are customizable for ppl. I also hope they dont forget about the focus on where you currently are easy to see. That was a big problem early on with the XBO UI. It eventually got fixed, and one of the XBO UI devs mentioned focus in an interview for the new UI recently, so its good some ppl are aware that can really be an issue.

On the PS4 its simply something like the borders around icons are highly visible, or the current icon you are on is made bigger than the rest. Focus was great on the PS4, terrible early on on XBO.
When logging in, the Switcher icon in the Control Center is quickly shown before it's replaced with the currently running game. This surely looks like a multitasking/quick resume button as many speculated. But this is more evidence than just a game's icon.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
That definitely looks like it. Maybe it's just a switcher between recent apps, or video app/game app, but the prospect is good.

I love Detective ERA....boom....

Thor's plots thickens even more. lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the UI video yet again, lol, it seems they havent forgotten about focus. It's easy to tell where you are. Icon is bigger, area is brighter, icon shows active visuals, etc.

Go down to Cards and the one you're on is active, brighter, bigger than the rest.

Thank you Sony UI team for not forgetting focus is great for UI experience.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The in-game help is, I think, almost certainly developer authored at this point.

The purpose of it is to provide contextually relevant and spoiler free help, and that presumably requires some app-aware integration. While of course a player can go consult google for help in a game, filtering through results to get to the bit of the game you need help in while minimising spoilers can be difficult.

It is unfortunate that it's behind the Plus paywall, but I think being dev authored, that's probably how they're financially incentivising devs to author that content. It would be great if devs saw the benefit of offering that help in terms of improving accessibility and engagement in their own game, but maybe for now, some direct return is needed to motivate that work.

Maybe later on there'll be a way for user created help content to be integrated in a game-aware way to achieve the same results, but that might still raise questions of how people can be compensated for that work.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it only makes sense if they are putting it behind the plus wall if some of that plus revenue would be going to third party developers to put in the work to make it happen. If not, then Sony putting it behind the plus paywall and expecting developers and/or community to develop/provide that content with 0 incentive is pretty bad.

It is possible that there might just be trophy integration into those tiles and help for developers that choose not to go the step further and make specific help like Sackboy is doing but surely that will still require some input from someone.

That doesn't track at all, online multiplayer is behind the PS+ paywall they don't pay developers that build multiplayer features.

The incentive is that only around 30% of people finish games, these are tools that can be used to keep players engaged.

I doubt every developer are going to build step by step guides like in Sackboy.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main menu is no exception:

IZr0Ekb.jpg

Destruction AllStar selected with giant screenshot in the background, another game logo on the bottom left and again the game logo on the right with a the price tag (why if I'm already playing it? Are they showing demos? I don't understand ...).

How many times do you want to tell us that we're on Destruction AllStar?

For all intents and purposes it's the same as PS4 except they've changed the info above the fold. I'm sure you can replace the background image with a theme, and the game background would only occur when you press down to the information section, like it does currently on the PS4.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've been watching the video more, trying to digest everything, I'm really liking what I see. I like that you can see the battery level easier. And looks like you can make changes to controllers too. The Control Center is looking really good.

One good thing about the PS4 many might not know is its really easy to switch to a new controller. That looks like it will still be a thing.For example, if I power on a new controller, it asks something like whose using it or logging in. Seelect yourself and that becomes your new controller, the other one will power off if its still on.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Some really great points raised here and a couple that I have missed:

1) In game help as an accessibility feature being locked behind the plus paywall - this was something that I missed before but it is definitely there and mentioned and now that I know, I think that is quite a shit move tbh. While we don't know if this community or developer or a combination driven in terms of the feature (you would think developer), locking this extra work by either party to a plus sub I think means that this feature will be DOA for third party games if it is solely developer driven and they don't get any slice of the plus revenue.

That doesn't track at all, online multiplayer is behind the PS+ paywall they don't pay developers that build multiplayer features.

The incentive is that only around 30% of people finish games, these are tools that can be used to keep players engaged.

I doubt every developer are going to build step by step guides like in Sackboy.

It's not really an accessibility feature though, right? It's more like a game guide. The parallel is print game guides or game faqs on the Internet, that kind of thing.

If you look at it from that perspective, you can see a clear logical path why a Plus membership goes into it:

1. Creation of that content is not contingent on developer support. Anyone can create a game guide; and as we know, people profit from such endeavor. Sony may have an in-house team, or pay some consultant or company.

2. This being the case, you can see that Plus monies go into, essentially, paying someone to make a guide

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
For all intents and purposes it's the same as PS4 except they've changed the info above the fold. I'm sure you can replace the background image with a theme, and the game background would only occur when you press down to the information section, like it does currently on the PS4.
Yup, its damn near same thing, lol. Earlier I mentioned focus but looking at the video again, that wont be an issue either. Only real complaint I see now is customization. Hell, I hope it can be customized more too.

About Game Guide being behind Plus....yeah.....that is gonna be an interesting topic, lol.

I dont think it should be behind Plus either. Because you basically wall off F2P games. F2P doesnt need Plus.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
It's not really an accessibility feature though, right? It's more like a game guide. The parallel is print game guides or game faqs on the Internet, that kind of thing.

If you look at it from that perspective, you can see a clear logical path why a Plus membership goes into it:

1. Creation of that content is not contingent on developer support. Anyone can create a game guide; and as we know, people profit from such endeavor. Sony may have an in-house team, or pay some consultant or company.

2. This being the case, you can see that Plus monies go into, essentially, paying someone to make a guide

It's still the case of an OS feature being locked behind a paywall. I really hope this doesn't become a trend.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The in-game help is, I think, almost certainly developer authored at this point.

The purpose of it is to provide contextually relevant and spoiler free help, and that presumably requires some app-aware integration. While of course a player can go consult google for help in a game, filtering through results to get to the bit of the game you need help in while minimising spoilers can be difficult.

It is unfortunate that it's behind the Plus paywall, but I think being dev authored, that's probably how they're financially incentivising devs to author that content. It would be great if devs saw the benefit of offering that help in terms of improving accessibility and engagement in their own game, but maybe for now, some direct return is needed to motivate that work.

Maybe later on there'll be a way for user created help content to be integrated in a game-aware way to achieve the same results, but that might still raise questions of how people can be compensated for that work.
I don't think it would be too difficult of a task to do if the tools are sufficiently intuitive. People sometimes forget developers already have Terabytes of data that they don't include in the final release. Every mechanic or trophy included in a game is meticulously documented and tested on how to implement and how to use in game. And QA gameplay sessions are documented enough that it would be easy to repurpose some of these data to use as game guides. I agree that putting it under PS+ incentivizes developers and publishers to author the content. I think Sony will host these tutorials on their own servers which is one reason they are using it as a PS+ incentive as well.

This whole thing brings to mind Dreams on PS4. There are tutorial videos in the game you can pin PiP while you are creating to learn how to do things.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only if Sony is paying them somehow. Currently guides are extra work for devs, locked behind a paywall that only Sony sees extra profit from.
On the other hand, Devs providing tips and guides for their games could help engagement and keep people playing instead of dropping off.

I'm sure they are plenty of casual players who would use a guide in this instance but wouldnt bother going to YouTube or a written guide online.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
It's still the case of an OS feature being locked behind a paywall. I really hope this doesn't become a trend.

I mean, an OS can have a feature that supports a monetized service. It would only be a problem if the overwhelming gamut of OS features were of that nature. I don't see that so far.

For example, if this was them taking away an existing OS feature on PS4 and putting it behind a paywall, that would be a concern. But this is something I would never have originally expected from the OS.

The other way it would be a concern is if we find other important OS features were not developed because focus was put on this monetized one. But too early to determine that yet.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
On the other hand, Devs providing tips and guides for their games could help engagement and keep people playing instead of dropping off.

I'm sure they are plenty of casual players who would use a guide in this instance but wouldnt bother going to YouTube or a written guide online.

Except with the paywall, now only some of their players can use them. If I'm making a guide, why not just then integrate it in the game PIP style ala Dreams, and let everyone use it?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Except with the paywall, now only some of their players can use them. If I'm making a guide, why not just then integrate it in the game PIP style ala Dreams, and let everyone use it?
Well that's up to Sony considering its their decision to put it behind plus.

For them, then benefit is that it adds value to the service.

For third parties, it could help keep players engaged in their games and make them more likely to spend more on extras or even sequels.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Shareplay is locked behind PS+ and that is definitely an OS feature. The game guide is not an OS feature as it is a deliberately authored content that not all games will have. Now if they lock the screen sharing behind PS+ that would piss me off. Lol

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I don't think it would be too difficult of a task to do if the tools are sufficiently intuitive. People sometimes forget developers already have Terabytes of data that they don't include in the final release. Every mechanic or trophy included in a game is meticulously documented and tested on how to implement and how to use in game. And QA gameplay sessions are documented enough that it would be easy to repurpose some of these data to use as game guides. I agree that putting it under PS+ incentivizes developers and publishers to author the content. I think Sony will host these tutorials on their own servers which is one reason they are using it as a PS+ incentive as well.

This whole thing brings to mind Dreams on PS4. There are tutorial videos in the game you can pin PiP while you are creating to learn how to do things.
Some insight on why this has almost never worked before and why it would need special attention to work this time around.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Shareplay is locked behind PS+ and that is definitely an OS feature. The game guide is not an OS feature as it is a deliberately authored content that not all games will have. Now if they lock the screen sharing behind PS+ that would piss me off. Lol
Only Share Play play together or give controller are PS+, not Share Play screen sharing.

Haven't been following this but is Screen Share not just a rename for Share Play?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Some insight on why this has almost never worked before and why it would need special attention to work this time around.

Well, it's one thing when devs do something as a bonus to their game, and its another when that thing is a system-wide feature. For one, we can expect sony's first party to support it. And then there would be third parties that are making PS5 exclusives that will support it too. And lastly, the odd third party multiplatform game that supports it too. It doesn't have to be for every game, Its one of those things that to me its great that it's possible and its there, and it's not the end of the world in the games that it isn't.

So, switcher confirmed to be PS5 "quick resume" now? If so, then it's kinda getting really tiring how from sony simply not saying something that MS says then it must mean sony doesn't have it. Like sony is supped to go around screaming "me too" as opposed to focusing on the things they have that hey know MS doesn't.

The worst part is that the PS4 already has it, albeit for just one game. So if nothing else that should tell us that the PS5 would have it for at least one game lol. And this is something I have noticed between MS and Sony. I could be mistaken, so someone please correct e if I am wrong. But is there a single new feature or thing MS is bringing to next-gen thus far? Like they just took a lot of things that are already there or expected or even considered normal and renamed them and have been pushing these things like they are new. But is there a feature that they have brought that s new?

Oh there is HDR for all games. I guess that's one.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When logging in, the Switcher icon in the Control Center is quickly shown before it's replaced with the currently running game. This surely looks like a multitasking/quick resume button as many speculated. But this is more evidence than just a game's icon.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Nice find.

Also may have already been noted, but in the UI video around 7:11, when joining the Destruction AllStars match, it didn't ask if he wanted to close Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

76XhuC0.jpg

P0zhUqw.jpg

0lxlBy1.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
Very late to this, but wow does it look good. It's weird to say, but even the UI feels exciting and next-gen.