• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
a generation of kids growing up with Babs and Buster Bunny(and to a lesser extent Roger Rabbit)
growing up with
Tinytoons.jpg

and seeing Looney Tunes mentioned in Mandelaeffect stuff all the time has permanently scrambled it in my head.
I'm willing to bet it goes a bit further back than that.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched clips of "The Looney Toons Show", but it looked pretty good for what it was. Maybe that's not the style of show you want to see these characters in but I think the quality was high enough.

As for this new short, I'll definitely agree that the animation is on point but that it can't stand on it's own.

Oct 25, 2017
The animation is fine, but at this point I might as well just watch the original shorts and enjoy the nostalgia factor

I don't like the idea behind trying to bring the old looney toons back, because it will never come back, and these new shorts will just keep reminding me of that. You can make good Looney Toons stuff that isn't forgettable re-treads, such as Duck Dodgers and The Looney Toons Show, so just...try and make good shows and adapt to the times.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more of a later Chuck Jones era kind of a guy but I really dug that regardless. High quality animation indeed.

This is the first of a new series of shorts, which they're making 1000+ minutes worth of and will vary from one to six minutes. This being one of the shorter ones it seems. Really impressed by the animation in this!
lol, surely not. Did you mean to write 100?

Bobinator

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I always thought Wabbit was way better than The Looney Tunes Show. See, TLTS basically felt like a sitcom in fursuits. It was mostly the characters just kind of talking snarkily to each other, not much in the way of actual slapstick. I guess if you're into snappy dialogue there's something there, but... yeah, Wabbit actually had a sense of physical comedy.

This looks good, though! Dunno if it'll be as good as the Mickey Mouse shorts of recent, but here's hoping!

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'm willing to bet it goes a bit further back than that.
The usage of the word "toon" was popularized by Roger Rabbit, but I figure most people referring to the Looney Tunes as "Looney Toons" picked it up from Tiny Toon Adventures, as that directly ties to the Warner characters and more or less takes place in the same universe. Also doesn't help that the Tiny Toons are very close in model to the Looney Tunes characters, and that the show uses rings for its logo in a similar manner to the Looney Tunes.

not even really sure when referring to the characters as "Looney Tunes" even started, as Looney Tunes was merely one series in the WB animated catalog(the other being of course Merrie Melodies). Some characters, like Bugs, Porky, and Elmer originally debuted in the Merrie Melodies series. I think referring to the overall franchise as "Looney Tunes" started in the 80s somewhere, certainly in the late 80s we had things like "Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon".

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
That was great, although I really wish they'd either use variable line-weight when drawing or apply a filter. There's something about uniform line width that makes modern animation look a little off to me.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I always thought Wabbit was way better than The Looney Tunes Show. See, TLTS basically felt like a sitcom in fursuits. It was mostly the characters just kind of talking snarkily to each other, not much in the way of actual slapstick. I guess if you're into snappy dialogue there's something there, but... yeah, Wabbit actually had a sense of physical comedy.

I mean, pointing out that Wabbit and TLTS are different isn't really the same thing as saying one is better than the other. I thought TLTS was pretty good as a sitcom in fursuits. Is the way I prefer to see these characters interact? Maybe not, but I don't think that makes TLTS bad. It just scratches a different itch than you would expect.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm SO sad this show only had 2 seasons. Bring it back! It was GREAT. The "Wabbit" show they had afterwards was much worse. Putting these characters into a sitcom like setting is just gold.
WB listen to this man!!

It averaged something ridiculous like 3 million viewers an episode throughout it's entire run and yet they cancelled that hit with the quickness.

CN in the early 10's was just littered with awful management.
are you freaking kidding me? all this time it actually did WELL and somehow it got canned???
how does this happen?!
i wasn't looking to get mad before bed!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
WB got shook from those super super good new Mickey Mouse cartoons huh?

Feels like old Looney Toons though.
This is like the antithesis to the new Mickey mouse cartoons. Where as the Mickey ones are trying to be very modern and irreverent, these look to be aiming about as traditional as possible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, surely not. Did you mean to write 100?
Nope
LTCT_DaffyDuck1000MinsASunset_Co_v04_Legal_01_r1%20-%20Copy_0.jpg

Warner Bros. Animation is announcing its most ambitious Looney Tunes content initiative to date with Looney Tunes Cartoons, a series of new short form cartoons starring the iconic and beloved Looney Tunes characters. With multiple artists employing a visual style that will resonate with fans, each "season" will produce 1,000 minutes of all-new Looney Tunes animation that will be distributed across multiple platforms – including digital, mobile and broadcast.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
The usage of the word "toon" was popularized by Roger Rabbit, but I figure most people referring to the Looney Tunes as "Looney Toons" picked it up from Tiny Toon Adventures, as that directly ties to the Warner characters and more or less takes place in the same universe. Also doesn't help that the Tiny Toons are very close in model to the Looney Tunes characters, and that the show uses rings for its logo in a similar manner to the Looney Tunes.

not even really sure when referring to the characters as "Looney Tunes" even started, as Looney Tunes was merely one series in the WB animated catalog(the other being of course Merrie Melodies). Some characters, like Bugs, Porky, and Elmer originally debuted in the Merrie Melodies series. I think referring to the overall franchise as "Looney Tunes" started in the 80s somewhere, certainly in the late 80s we had things like "Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon".
Looney Tunes is probably the most misspelled franchise name. It probably should be stated that the title Looney Tunes is a parody of Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies (which the series itself was technically Silly Symphony, but in plural was called Silly Symphonies).

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so does that mean they canceled Wabbit. That short with Porky and Daffy, that's classic Porky. Wabbit's redesign was, er...
latest

Gimme old Porky any day.

And yeah, I liked the Looney Tunes Show.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he always cause Elmer's plans to backfire instead of actively harming him though?
Admittedly it's been a long time since I saw looney tunes shorts, so I might not remember correctly

Sometimes, but there are plenty of episodes where Bugs and Daffy would further torment folks after getting even the first time.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
The Looney Tunes show won by taking a Shit Character like Lola Bunny and turning her into the funniest character in their stable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... this looks like a souless re-tread to me. Like they're just riffing on the classics.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Will there be any new Road Runner and Coyote shorts? I don't care how old I get, those cartoons are always catnip for the humor portion of my brain.

Oct 27, 2017
That was cool and all, but if there isn't a short that focuses on Foghorn Leghorn mercilessly beating a dog for no reason in particular, what's the point?