• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Great. Is this packaged in NSP format to have access to the full 3GB of ram?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
and? you only need certain level of power to emulate SNES. More than that and it's just redundant. Unless of course you can do something else with it, such as emulating PS2 and GC.
Shaders for example can be quite demanding. GC might also be possible in the future for this system. We know that the shield can emulate GC.

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
How likely Can I get this to work if I bought another switch like right now? ( I hear that the newer models fixed the exploits)

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BTW themes are now a thing:

VI5zYaWh.jpg

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only it had a usable d-pad.

Not only talking about handheld either. The Pro Controller d-pad is awful.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So far I don't see anything my homebrew PSV can't do, but if support for PS2 and GC ever happens, I will reconsider.

Wait, are you telling me you don't want to buy that $100 toy that plays 20 predetermined SNES games? Well that's your fault the games you like are not deemed classic by Nintendo.
GC will likely happen at some point. Dolphin has good performance on Tegra X1.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Have to be on the old version of switch tho. New versions dont get full access like old does

How is retroarch installed? Nsp? Homebrew? On ofw?

It's a NRO, I'm setting it up right now. So through the homebrew launcher.

Hopefully they'll release it as an NSP package soon.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've run a bunch of emulators and stuff in my switch back when the homebrew scene started taking off. Stupidly stayed online too.

Never got banned or anything but maybe I'm One of the lucky ones.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So far I don't see anything my homebrew PSV can't do, but if support for PS2 and GC ever happens, I will reconsider.
If we're only talking about emulators, the one thing I like to use is their throttle feature. I've only used adrenaline on the vita for PSX games and while it's awesome that it supports throttling and even save states, both can sometimes lead to buggy games and it just doesn't throttle fast enough. Save states are also really slow. Retroarch on my Shield Portable (only a Tegra 4, which is many times weaker than the Switch) runs pretty much flawlessly and throttles significantly faster even in PSX games.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No scaling, psx is 1x resolution.

But using xbr or even FXAA the picture gets quite nice. There are a lot of shaders to make the picture better, didn't try all of them.
I think it relies on Libnx so in the future when there are improvements in that lib, it can reflect to retroarch. Hopefully someone will make a vulkan driver.

radius

Apr 18, 2018
Dolphin on Android with Tegra X1 is a whole different animal, Dolphin Android was basically tailor made for TX1 and it has access to full CPU and GPU power unlike on switch.
It was already tested on Linux on switch (lakka) and it seems it was way slower than on ATV.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great to see more Retroarch progress on Switch. Playing retro games on the Switch screen is just so good. With this and RetroNX, retro gaming on Switch is really coming along nicely.

The Homebrew scene on Switch is really kicking off now.

Team Xecutor's SX OS v2.0 looks to have a new EmuNand feature, which looks like it could allow to separate Hacking / Homebrew content from official Firmware, kinda like having 2 partitions. So potential to keep online play without being banned when not using Homebrew and having different Firmware on each partition. Will have to see how that turns out, when people have tested it out for a few weeks.

Also another neat little hack is ChoiDujourNX which allows to Upgrade and Downgrade the Switch's firmware offline, without burning eFuses, which normally would stop you downgrading again.

Nov 13, 2017
Its illegal if you don't have the games and just downloads thr rom's. How does downloading any games without paying help a publisher keep the place running. This thread isn't about piracy but 7/10 times, thats what emulation does is bring out pirates.

Not 7/10 times, it's probably closer to 95% of the cases or above. Most people don't go through the trouble of obtaining legal roms to use for emulation. Almost everyone I have ever seen use it in real life does it illegally.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Wait, are you telling me you don't want to buy that $100 toy that plays 20 predetermined SNES games? Well that's your fault the games you like are not deemed classic by Nintendo.

The hardware is absolutely capable of emulating GCN and PS2 but I wouldn't hold my breath for PS2 anytime soon if ever. The current best PS2 Emulator PCSX2 only runs on X86 processors and Libretro have stated in the past that a Retroarch version is unlikely. There is an Android based PS2 emulator but I have no idea how good that is.

radius

Apr 18, 2018
Tegra X1 is not all that powerful, not even at full clocks. It was powerful in... 2015. It may be able to get GCN at some capacity, and even some PS2 emulation but don't expect to be running everything flawless at any time soon.

Switch Docked | Swich Non-Docked | Shield ATV
CPU: 1020 MHz | 1020 MHz | 2 GHz
GPU: 768 MHz | 307.2 MHz | 1 GHz
MEM: 1600 MHz | 1331 MHz | 1600 MHz

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tegra X1 is not all that powerful, not even at full clocks. It was powerful in... 2015. It may be able to get GCN at some capacity, and even some PS2 emulation but don't expect to be running everything flawless at any time soon.

Switch Docked | Swich Non-Docked | Shield ATV
CPU: 1020 MHz | 1020 MHz | 2 GHz
GPU: 768 MHz | 307.2 MHz | 1 GHz
MEM: 1600 MHz | 1331 MHz | 1600 MHz

I'd have to find the link to where this was discovered, but the Switch has another hidden mode, which is speculated for GC/Wii Emulation potentially. The CPU increases in speed, while dropping the GPU speeds a bit.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not 7/10 times, it's probably closer to 95% of the cases or above. Most people don't go through the trouble of obtaining legal roms to use for emulation. Almost everyone I have ever seen use it in real life does it illegally.

While that's probably true that still doesn't make the emulators that play these roms illegal. Using them to play illegally obtained roms, yes. But the emulators themselves aren't illegal in any way. Just like how torrent clients and media players aren't illegal. Instead of banning emulators it'd make more sense to me to make it easier to use them legally.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I would love to have Homebrew, emulators, and save backups on my Switch. But the chances of getting banned, just make it seem to get a secondary Switch

radius

Apr 18, 2018
Of course, there are several modes and that could certainly be exploited by a first party emulator like the one they made for the Shield ATV. And what you said makes total sense because most of the vertex calculations are done on CPU which is why ATV chugs in games with long draw distance (that is my experience with it at least)
Dolphin is a more generic/complete affair than the the Shield ATV emulator, the NVIDIA is most likely very different though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll jump into this once the exFat support bug has been ironed out. I know many, many people have been using RetroNX on exFAT without any issues, but I wouldn't want my microSD corrupted.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Does this mean full multiplayer for GB games like trading and battling in pokemon and dragon warrior monsters?!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

This thread is about an emulator being released for switch homebrew. Please do not derail the thread into a seperate conversation.