• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How do you guys know it doesn't have usb type C from this pic ? That seems odd to have product this cutting edge in 2020 with no usb type c?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping there's a chance they're doing this to see if people are responding negatively to the form factor and will change it to something that fits in a normal entertainment center.

Nov 8, 2017
How do you guys know it doesn't have usb type C from this pic ? That seems odd to have product this cutting edge in 2020 with no usb type c

Because you can see it covered in nothing but type A ports?

You can use a Usb A to C cable which is very common ofc. But there's plainly no type C female port on the device. There is one on the new controller so it will almost certainly ship with an A to C male male cable.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because both slots in the back and the one on the front are Type-A
Because you can see it coveted in nothing but type A ports?

You can use a Usb A to C cable which is very common ofc. But there's plainly no type C female port on the device. There is one on the new controller so it will almost certainly ship with an A to C male male cable.
Sorry I m missing something . Female part of usb type c looks different than usb type A?
For comparison we also don't know if ps5 has type C on the console then ? (Since we know it has on the controller )(did the dev kit have type c?)

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
No USB-C? Hopefully just on the prototype.
Sorry I m missing something . Female part of usb type c looks different than usb type A?
For comparison we also don't know if ps5 has type C on the console then ? (Since we know it has on the controller )(did the dev kit have type c?)
USB-C-vs-Lightning-port-size-dimension-comparison-graphic

Jun 22, 2018
Type C is the physical connector. You can see it doesn't have the type C connector by looking at it.

The lack of a type C connector won't prevent it from using the latest and greatest in terms of USB bandwidth, though. So, it doesn't matter much.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Because you can see it covered in nothing but type A ports?

Like it should be, because that's the cable every single product use now. Who the hell uses C to C?

Nov 8, 2017

Type C technically refers to the connector not any speed rating. Type A means the square original one most desktops and laptops and things use. Type C is the small double sided symmetric one.

Most cables you buy will have type c one end to plug into your phone or switch or whatever, and Type A at the other end to plug into your computer. Some people want it to be the small type c connector on both ends.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Type C technically refers to the connector not any speed rating. Type A means the square original one most desktops and laptops and things use. Type C is the small double sided symmetric one.

Most cables you buy will have type c one end to plug into your phone or switch or whatever, and Type A at the other end to plug into your computer. Some people want it to be the small type c connector on both ends.
Thank you . Is there any technical benefits other than the size and look for female type type c ?

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Am I too tired or why is the IR (?) thing on the front to the right of the USB port very odd looking? It isn't symmetrical.

Overall I think this is a piece of beauty and looks like it holds a true beast inside. Can't wait to buy one.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, a real madlad.

It's going to be nearly invisible in the shadowy recesses of my TV table, so I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's vaguely rectilinear, and not too chunky.

Still, I don't see what's ugly about a matte black box. Simple forms like that look pretty clean as part of an ordinary home entertainment setup.
Agreed on the first point.

It just looks too clean to me, too simple and boring. Like sitting this next to my avr, it's just gonna look like a box. Not some piece of electronics, just a box.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think MS would have knowledge of who owns the prototype by the serial number...the guy should have blurred it or something.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
wish this dang thing was half the size, or at least just a rectangle sized to fit into most entertainment centers. this one is gonna take up some space Lol

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Yes but it's a big boy so for me there will be less than 2mm of clearance above it in my entertainment unit if I do that based on the released measurements.

So I'm probably screwed.
I just had to buy a new stand to be able to fit the width of my 4K tv and it just so happens to have zero room to fit this kind of shape but if there's a will there is a way

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The large rectangular cutout next to LAN port could be for additional high speed expansion storage.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen anything with a type C to C cord. You typically have the type C port and pin on the end you're plugging and unplugging a lot which is the controller end of the connection.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XB1 accessories are forwards compatible so changing USB port shapes wouldn't fly. Plus, there's no need to.

On the front, maybe, but you'd have thought the rear would have one for HDDs.

Although I recently found out the speeds are probably the same, it's just a bit inconvenient with cables moving to USB-C.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
whats that slot for? Less ports than I thought it would.
No USB on front side, right?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Like I said. Microsoft are going to launch first. Power wise is still unknown but I'd heard very similar and launching first.

If this is fake it's a good one. If they are manufacturing in november that lines up with Phil taking his home.

Crazy ness.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
XB1 accessories are forwards compatible so changing USB port shapes wouldn't fly. Plus, there's no need to.

Yeah, I really don't get why people are desperate to throw their old, perfectly functional stuff away or buy pointless adapters. Anything that needs USB 3.1 can carry it from a USB A port. The fetish for everything to change to USB-C on this forum is bizarre.