• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Arent retail sales down completely in the uk not just consoles? even xmas didnt pick it up and if it continues i can't see new expensive consoles doing as well as they should.

Market was 4% down on electricals. All major retailers saw a decline but hints from one major retailer is they bucked the trend. Fingers crossed it was just due to new consoles but seeing the graph that covered all through the Wii ps3 and 360 vs now was eye opening. Much much worse than I'd thought.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Perfect.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Only 2 USBs on the back and 1 on the front? Eh, come on, at least make it 4 so you can have a couple of controllers and a couple of other devices connected at the same time.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
What worries me a little is the cooling parts on the side around the ports.

I was planning to place it on its side with the big cooler facing toward me. I can see those cooling parts blowing out heat against the sides of my TV cabinet. Hopefully it does not get too warm.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming this is legit or near final I'm really surprised they've stuck with regular USB. Even Nintendo moved to USB-C.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I thought it would be a lot smaller than that. I don't like the look of it, it's way to big.

If you look at some of the renderings people have done online based off of the measurements, it's actually not very big at all.

On a separate note, the actual box that will sell at retail at the end of the year will have a much higher quality finish, without doubt.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to place it on its side with the big cooler facing toward me. I can see those cooling parts blowing out heat against the sides of my TV cabinet. Hopefully it does not get too warm.
Isn't the idea of this design that it's like a chimney, air goes in from the back (side in your case) and out in the top (front in your case)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting this is a dev kit and look exactly how the real box will look. Don't believe that happens alot?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about the size are going to be super disappointed by both consoles, both are going to be on the larger size just because of overheating issues.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's not a standard anywhere. Every single phone charger has an A port to that your cable goes in to, every single USB B and USB C cable people have at home from phones, Switch, charging stations, Kindles, PS4 controller, any technical toy stuff like cabinet lights or display lights or simply USB Sticks in any kind of form and use have an A port on one end so you can use it on any single charger, PC, laptop, TV's, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Switch.
Why the hell should it be a C on both ends? There's literally nothing you can connect it to cause nothing really uses that.
Zero Bloom Reach = great. Other Reach= terrible.

I hope there will be campaign mods for zero bloom
I am very excited for new hardware but it's kind of weird to hype it up a next-gen console by talking about a controller for existing hardware as well as the implied meaning that he's using it for existing XB1/X games.
Loving all the next-gen talk today.
Yeah, I really don't get why people are desperate to throw their old, perfectly functional stuff away or buy pointless adapters. Anything that needs USB 3.1 can carry it from a USB A port. The fetish for everything to change to USB-C on this forum is bizarre.
What's the long slot on the back?
It's the new standard.
It always fits.
It's much faster with data transfer.
It charges faster.
It's 2020.
Type C is the type of connector, it´s not faster because of that. You can have the same speeds on Type A.
FYI USB-C is just a standard for a connector and it doesn't specify an underlying protocol. USB-C can carry USB2, USB3, TB3 or USB4 (in the future). So having USB-C doesn't necessarily mean that it will charge something faster or transfer more data.

Some points:
  1. USB-C is the only form factor that allows Thunderbolt 3/USB 4.0 which is the only USB standard that can keep up with NVMe SSDs.
  2. ALL devices are switching over to full USB-C on both ends. Both my recent cell phones came with USB-C on the charger.
  3. If the new Xbox doesn't have USB-C 4.0, that slot in the back better be a damn tray for a M.2 drive. I want to be able to expand the drive space with an equally fast drive to the internal.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
While, right now, USB-A is more convenient for most people (many folks already have a great assortment of USB-A hard drives or USB-A -> USB-C charging cables lying around) i feel like at least one USB-C Thunderbolt 3.0 (! that's the important part) should have been added. Just for future proofing, like enough bandwidth for super fast external storage.

For controllers / dongles (wireless headsets) at least one USB-A is still a reasonable feature.

Also, this console looks like absolute ass when oriented horizontally....

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
While, right now, USB-A is more convenient for most people (many folks already have a great assortment of USB-A hard drives or USB-A -> USB-C charging cables lying around) i feel like at least one USB-C Thunderbolt 3.0 (! that's the important part) should have been added. Just for future proofing, like enough bandwidth for super fast external storage.

For controllers / dongles (wireless headsets) at least one USB-A is still a reasonable feature.

Also, this console looks like absolute ass when oriented horizontally....

Isn't thunderbolt an Intel thing ?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't thunderbolt an Intel thing ?

Hmmm, well, USB 4.0 then - whatever, another poster above already mentioned that USB-C is a requirement for TB3 (or equivalent) speeds, right?

It's really just "a single USB-C wouldn't have hurt, especially on the back" - i'm not a "USB-C ALL THE THINGS" person ... i have a recent MacBook Pro, i know the pain of being needlessly ahead of the curve ...

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the HDMI port that slot seems to be at least 28mm wide. M.2 standards include 16mm, 22mm, and 30mm.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even tho i'll probably never get it, that has to be one of the most beautiful consoles ever, would look awesome beside my PC.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
So if that's an NVMe M.2 slot, it's not going to fit some of the beefier M.2 SSDs. There's not much headroom there.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
No USB-C ports is weird since tons of devices have it these days (and way more in the future). But I guess it's just a prototype. Having said that, MS has been quite reserved at adopting the technology on their laptop and tablet offerings.