• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veracity:

• Valid

Votes: 305 51.4%
  • Venal

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Val Venus

Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fucking stupid. Not that it matters much to me since I basically have no choice in how it looks and I'll end up getting one anyway for exclusives. But yeah, that looks like shit.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
As seen in the best community on resetera:
tenor.png

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wtf is that V for??

If it doesn't have a practical application, then I hope we get a quiet system. Been a while since we've had one on the Playstation side

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
If real, it's kinda crazy how PSV things are leaking already. where's Xbox scarlet?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devkits aren't monolithic. Particularly before a console is released, they go through many iterations which look wildly different. Example, someone above posted A PS2 dev kit. That's not the only one. For example, here is the pre-release PS2 devkit:

DOeVQXk.jpg

Pre-release Dev Hardware is usually radically different than the release hardware, specifically because the specs are up in the air and also because they need room for the equipment to run the overhead. For example, Sega Katana devkits feature a motherboard much bigger than the stock Dreamcast motherboard because they populate much more additional RAM, which allows them to hold things like the debugger in memory while still using the rest of the system. This means the that the early case usually looks very different.

Regarding "generic, PC cases" -- this usually is NOT true of pre-release dev kits. They might look like actual boxes, yeah, but they are almost never just a generic PC case. They are almost always some sort of bespoke box, precisely because the hardware isn't fabricated with form factor in mind. This doesn't mean they are always ugly boxes of exposed wires, either. Depending on the company, they might use brushed steel or polished designs even for their unfeasible devkit box. Examples of early Xbox dev kits:

OAOLzAC.jpg

VS the debug kit they sent out to commercial devs post-launch:

3438917855_1f764071be_o.jpg

Which actually became the basis for the "Xbox Halo 2" model.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather the final retail console be boxy and big but have a V shapped vent like Xbox One S on top, not a V shaped indent in the whole unit

I know they already named it PS5 but I wonder if they would be bold enough to go all iPhone X and call it PlayStation Five but also have it written on boxes as PSV. Yes, I know PSV was Vita. I doubt they do that but the dev kit having a giant V shape for air isn't a coincident.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what the final design is. Just give me a quiet console with some backward compatibility and a very good controller.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
To which it's worth noting, that, like i mentioned above, this isn't the only dreamcast dev kit. The Katanas are the most well known, as they were highly publicized prior to release. They are mainly the very early DC dev kits. This is another, later dev kit:

EDK4of9VUAA1fqG

EDK4ogJU8AETEdc
SCSI connectors? I might have to warn you for NSFW imagery

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Ah yes it's dev kit time.

Can't wait for the thread comparing the looks of this one to the eventual Scarlett dev kit that leaks

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
A new thread and still we have class clowns acting like the system will look anything like this. You all don't get tired of shit posting?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The V thing just makes me think people will use it to hold drinks and accidents will happen

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Half the responses in this thread about this thing looking good or not are the reason why platform holders have a strict no photos of devkits rule.

People read so much into this stuff.