• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veracity:

• Valid

Votes: 305 51.4%
  • Venal

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Val Venus

Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jy4s1zvlw1y01.jpg

better way to put it -- it's about the size of 3 or so dreamcasts stacked on top of each other.

For comparison, the Dreamcast motherboard:

ED4vTUpWsAAbY7P

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS2 dev kit, for reference:
236033870_17e1a03326_z.jpg

Just a curious question: why all devkits are much bigger and uglier than the current shipped products , Why do they have to make them that big especially if they pack the same hardware. I know some companies pack more powerful hardware than the final product like MS but Sony keeps the same specs and there is a high chance the final PS5 will be more powerful than this devkit since it's prototype 1.
Just curious why they don't ship with the same design or at least close dimensions.
Can't they just send devkits looking the same as the test units which are identical to the shipped consoles? Or is it because they want to avoid some selling those devkits as the console itself if both look similar? Duh reason.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
idk giving your console the shape of a V on it's fifth iteration is pretty slick to me

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just a curious question: why all devkits are much bigger and uglier than the current shipped products , Why do they have to make them that big especially if they pack the same hardware. I know some companies pack more powerful hardware than the final product like MS but Sony keeps the same specs and there is a high chance the final PS5 will be more powerful than this devkit since it's prototype 1.
Just curious why they don't ship with the same design or at least close dimensions.
Can't they just send devkits looking the same as the test units which are identical to the shipped consoles? Or is it because they want to avoid some selling those devkits as the console itself if both look similar? Duh reason.

Because they aren't always the same. They tend to have more memory, and more hardware for development and debugging purposes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They are NOT the same specs, not even on Sony's machines. Debug hardware *HAS* to have beefier specs, because the debug software occupies resources. If you want to be able to debug, say, 16 MB of ram, you need MORE than 16 MB of ram to hold the debug symbols, unless your debug hardware will eat up the resources that would normally be available during execution.

Depending on kit, they might also house a literal PC inside to do the development on, like the PS TOOL above:

Tool-back.jpg

The Sega Katana HK-01 houses a PC inside. the Dev.Cas HK-11 does not. The early oXbox devkits were actual PCs, the later debug kits were simply Xboxes that had to be networked to a development PC.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Team real, it's just a devkit and I'm sure it's not going to look like that for the final product so it'd be sad if someone took that much time to do fake something like that just for a devkit picture lol.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

Dev kits universally pack more hardware than retail units, that's how you're able to do development on them and run all the extra shit that helps you create games.

They also exist years in advance of final hardware despite needing to run at the specs of that final hardware, test kits don't exist until much later And they usually do mimick final hardware and subsequently lack the extra functionality of a dev kit but are used to show in development games publicly.

The Xbox dev kit with a digital display would add Significant cost and complication to a retail unit yet would rarely be useful, Microsoft absolutely made the right call keeping that feature for developers.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Because they aren't always the same. They tend to have more memory, and more hardware for development and debugging purposes.

They are NOT the same specs, not even on Sony's machines. Debug hardware *HAS* to have beefier specs, because the debug software occupies resources. If you want to be able to debug, say, 16 MB of ram, you need MORE than 16 MB of ram to hold the debug symbols, unless your debug hardware will eat up the resources that would normally be available during execution.

Depending on kit, they might also house a literal PC inside to do the development on, like the PS TOOL above:

Tool-back.jpg

The Sega Katana HK-01 houses a PC inside. the Dev.Cas HK-11 does not. The early oXbox devkits were actual PCs, the later debug kits were simply Xboxes that had to be networked to a development PC.

Dev kits universally pack more hardware than retail units, that's how you're able to do development on them and run all the extra shit that helps you create games.

They also exist years in advance of final hardware despite needing to run at the specs of that final hardware, test kits don't exist until much later And they usually do mimick final hardware and subsequently lack the extra functionality of a dev kit but are used to show in development games publicly.

The Xbox dev kit with a digital display would add Significant cost and complication to a retail unit yet would rarely be useful, Microsoft absolutely made the right call keeping that feature for developers.

I don't remember any devkit having more power than any released PlayStation, in fact the PS4 pre-release devkit had jsut 4GB VRAM and when they officially annoucned the PS4 devs even first parties were surprised the PS4 would get 8 GB VRAM since they designed their laucnh gaems with just 4GB in mind. So that is not a true story for Sony, hence even this prototype 1 which means thiis may be even less powerful than the final PS5. For MS? this is the case though with double the RAM for devkits.

Jun 22, 2018
Looks possibly real, but hard to say. It could be made from pretty cheap plastic, which would make it look more like something 3D printed, as people are suggesting.

In any case, it's crazy ugly and I would die inside a little if the final PS5 looked anything like that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Looks possibly real, but hard to say. It could be made from pretty cheap plastic, which would make it look more like something 3D printed, as people are suggesting.

In any case, it's crazy ugly and I would die inside a little if the final PS5 looked anything like that.

I don't think this 3D printed tbh, this could be really one of the biggest troll in history if he wasted as much efforts and resources to troll people just for that. Many said the patented design wasn't the right one then we got a confirmation, now we got this somewhat a confirmation of the confirmation, do we really need another confirmation of the confirmation of the confirmation?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any devkit having more power than any released PlayStation, in fact the PS4 pre-release devkit had jsut 4GB VRAM and when they officially annoucned the PS4 devs even first parties were surprised the PS4 would get 8 GB VRAM since they designed their laucnh gaems with just 4GB in mind. So that is not a true story for Sony, hence even this prototype 1 which means thiis may be even less powerful than the final PS5. For MS? this is the case though with double the RAM for devkits.

What the spec calls for as for a running hardware configuration and what's available in the devkit are two different things. Prototypes are of course not final hardware, but what is in a devkit is certainly more than what's in a retail kit.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

I defer to your expertise in this matter, surprised you asked the question if you have all the answers though.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember any devkit having more power than any released PlayStation

Every PS Tool ever released has different specs from the released hardware.

in fact the PS4 pre-release devkit had jsut 4GB VRAM and when they officially annoucned the PS4 devs even first parties were surprised the PS4 would get 8 GB VRAM since they designed their laucnh gaems with just 4GB in mind.

That's because the specs of their dev kits never match the specs of the shipped console, they always exceed them. Your dev kit will usually have much, much more ram than you need, again, for the debugging purposes I've explained, and Sony will just tell you "keep memory constrained to XGB." Those devkits already had more than 8 GB of ram in them before they announced the final specs of the console. Devs were surprised that the final specs had that much available as they had already been told the final specs would have less than that, but their dev kits always had more ram even than the released PS4.

Less ram is very, very often THE differing factor between "indie" dev kits and "commercial" dev kits. Like, the net yaroze, it's main cripple was that it had the same amount of RAM as a retail PSX, while the PS1 dev kit had like 4 times as much ram. This is why commercial devs don't use retail hardware to develop for and instead pay the tens of thousands of dollars dev kits cost.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I defer to your expertise in this matter, surprised you asked the question if you have all the answers though.

No I didn't say that I know any reason for that. I explaiend in my first post that I know devkits of other machines may pack more power than the retail ones so that is why the devkits look bigger somehow but in case of PS4 and possibiliy the PS5 this is not the case, that is why I was asking the question to start with, we are talking about PS devkits in particular afetr all.

Every PS Tool ever released has different specs from the released hardware.

That's because the specs of their dev kits never match the specs of the shipped console, they always exceed them. Your dev kit will usually have much, much more ram than you need, again, for the debugging purposes I've explained, and Sony will just tell you "keep memory constrained to XGB." Those devkits already had more than 8 GB of ram in them before they announced the final specs of the console. Devs were surprised that the final specs had that much available as they had already been told the final specs would have less than that, but their dev kits always had more ram even than the released PS4.

Well if what you are telling is true, then I can understand the reasons behidn all of this, after all I know even on PC when using modding tools or an engine to develop a game like UE4, the engine editor or modding tools require much more power than running the game itself. I was just asking about the peculiar case of the PS devkits that is all..

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
No I didn't say that I know any reason for that. I explaiend in my first post that I know devkits of other machines may pack more power than the retail ones so that is why the devkits look bigger somehow but in case of PS4 and possibiliy the PS5 this is not the case, that is why I was asking the question to start with, we are talking about PS devkits in particular afetr all.

A PS4 devkit is not the same exact hardware as a PS4 retail system.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's like some og Xbox/Alienware/random pc gamer case ugliness

As an aside did we ever find out what the second scrapped design of the ps4 ended up being?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If the PS5 doesn't look like this, why are we even here? This design is the future. Keep adding curves, Sony.

Then, we can finally achieve this, true enlightenment:

PS5 won't look like this. And if it does, I mean...as long as it's functional?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
And another reason: it simply doesn't matter how big they are because they're only intended for developers and never to be seen by the public. There's honestly no good reason to spend all the time and money getting it all into a as small as possible box like you'd do with the actual console itself.