• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
TZrlPgS.jpg

CAS talk starts at the 15min mark.

Radeon Navi GPUs can upscale games from 1440p [which is a sweetspot for RX5700/5700XT] to 4K, and sharpen the image to remove some of its blurryness. According to first impressions from Level1Tech crew, it visually looks very good, performance impact is minimal [which is not the case for DLSS], it is not as blurry as DLSS, and it allows 4K gaming with vastly increased framerates. Of course, while the in-game content [especially in fast-paced games] will look best with this tech, static content such as HUD and text will not be able to have its "pristine 4K native" look, but that's also the case with DLSS. CAS works for all games.

I hope that Digital Foundry and NXGamer crews will soon take a closer look at this tech, and provide detailed breakdowns.

In the same video, there is also talk about Radeon Anti-Lag, a feature that reduces the gpu driver lag, and also forces CPU to slow down and keep the pace with the refresh rate of the display [to be in sync with the GPU], which leads to up to ~30ms reduction in lag. For this I eagerly await the detailed breakdown from Battle(non)sense.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Can this theoretically also upscale games that are restricted to 1080p? This would probably look even better since it's exactly half of 4k.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It will presumably work with any resolution, but who knows what will be results of such larger upscale. They cannot iron out every image problem with just content-aware sharpening.

[it's not a global sharpening, they analyse the image and apply different level of sharpness on various areas with different contrast elements].

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone explain to me how this is different from a sharpening filter? I recently saw some screenshots of this in action and saw the same artifacts I would get by using Reshade's sharpening filter.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Since I expect someone else to be confused like I was sharpening means to increase the contrast at the edges to reduce if not completely remove blur.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Would be interesting to hear VR impressions on this. Does it improve things or are the flaws magnified and terrible? Screens are impossible to tell with these things.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
PCGH writes in some cases it's almost like a texture mod. While that sounds a bit hyperbolic I can see it a bit on the grass in FH4 shots.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I rather like it. It does create noise, but as long as it looks like uniform greyscale noise, it doesn't bother me too much.

Oct 28, 2017
So they took contrast edge detection and replaced Anti Aliasing with Sharpening? and/or doing both to save another pass of edge detection computational costs.

I wonder why wasn't this brought up earlier in Post Processing tools, like ReShade.

Edit: So this also means that this technique cannot be bundled with TAA or Checker-board rendering!?

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware Unboxed has released their impressions of Radeon Image Sharpening

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
AMD are becoming the comeback kid. I remember people thinking they were a dying brand back in 2014 and that their console initiatives were a last gasp. I don't build PCs anymore, but if I do get back into it, I'm making an AMD rig for sure.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any major graphics card releases to watch out for between now and cyberpunk 2077? Otherwise i think this feature just sold me on a 5700 xt.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Glad it holds up in motion and not just screenshots. Upscaling tech needs to be judged in motion and its too common that people draw conclusions based on screenshots.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a sharpening filter. For Tomb Raider it basically looks like it's undoing the post-AA in the game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So they took contrast edge detection and replaced Anti Aliasing with Sharpening? and/or doing both to save another pass of edge detection computational costs.

I wonder why wasn't this brought up earlier in Post Processing tools, like ReShade.

Edit: So this also means that this technique cannot be bundled with TAA or Checker-board rendering!?
If this doesn't work with TAA we'll have the weird situation where DLSS and content aware sharpening aren't available on the same games. Hopefully it does indeed work with TAA, but DLSS only works on games with TAA.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware Unboxed has released their impressions of Radeon Image Sharpening

In short:
Works only in DX12/Vulkan and DX9.
Selective sharpening, leaves high-contrast elements untouched.
It's best when it's upscaling 1700p/1800p games to 4K. Minimal visual loss vs native 4K, but with ~30% better rendering performance.
It can also be used to sharpen native 4K image, which can help some games that are nativley very soft [RE2Remake].
Looks better than DLSS.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we could have something like this followed by a DSR-like downscale to 1080p.

I want options to supersample on my 1080p monitor that don't look like complete garbage unless I'm running at native 4K.

PC's have a long way to go before they catch up to consoles when it comes to non-native resolution scaling.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
But you're not actually getting the increased level of details and distant objects that you get from true 4K, so as far as eye-candy goes, it's pointless.

I mean, I guess it's ok if you want frames... but personally I'll never accept upscaling, even as someone who uses their PC hooked up to a TV instead of monitor. Like yeah, the TV can handle upscaling pretty well but I still don't want it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I remember when people were trying to peddle DLSS (to help justify spending $ on overpriced launch RTX cards) and it ended up looking like crap, so hopefully this fares better.

In any case, using 4k resolution with 80-85% rendering always seems to give much better results for clarity.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In short:
Works only in DX12/Vulkan and DX9.
Selective sharpening, leaves high-contrast elements untouched.
It's best when it's upscaling 1700p/1800p games to 4K. Minimal visual loss vs native 4K, but with ~30% better rendering performance.
It can also be used to sharpen native 4K image, which can help some games that are nativley very soft [RE2Remake].
Looks better than DLSS.

To clarify, DLSS (using a base resolution of 1440p) actually looks better when compared to Sharpened 1440p, but the comparatively huge performance cost means it performs more like Sharpened 1800p, which looks better.

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
If this doesn't work with TAA we'll have the weird situation where DLSS and content aware sharpening aren't available on the same games. Hopefully it does indeed work with TAA, but DLSS only works on games with TAA.

It works with TAA. The Hardware Unboxed video specifically points out that it's really good at sharpening up images softened by TAA or similar post process effects.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
But you're not actually getting the increased level of details and distant objects that you get from true 4K, so as far as eye-candy goes, it's pointless.

I mean, I guess it's ok if you want frames... but personally I'll never accept upscaling, even as someone who uses their PC hooked up to a TV instead of monitor. Like yeah, the TV can handle upscaling pretty well but I still don't want it.
I don't see how it's pointless, sharpening filters can greatly improved picture quality even without bringing in detail gained from higher resolutions.

I apply reshade sharpening to every game I play, the difference is immediately noticeable and it actually does reveal details in things such as textures blurred out by effects like FXAA and most TA.

I wish every game had sharpening options built in.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia: "Here's raytracing, AI powered super AA, and a ridiculously powerful card"
AMD: "Have a resharpen filter"

JFC my next card is going to cost $1500 if this shit keeps up.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that I'd have to actually experience before I could know if the sharpening filter would bother me enough to not use it. If I can bump my resolution down a couple notches to get an additional 10-20fps in games on average without it standing out, it'd probably be well worth it for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they support multiple layers? So eg the game renders the world at 1440p which gets CAS to 4k, then the game overlays 4k native HUD elements?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they support multiple layers? So eg the game renders the world at 1440p which gets CAS to 4k, then the game overlays 4k native HUD elements?
I do wonder if games will be able to support it natively instead of it just being a driver option, because yeah this would be ideal. A game with resolution scaler and an option to both turn on AMD's CAS as well adjust it's intensity.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Can't nvidia implement the same thing to their card. AI powered super AA seems to still have an advantage on dealing with alpha texture like hair in ff15.