• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/the-making-of-a-switch-sleeper-hit-1820022642

On the first Steamworld Dig :
"They gave the game a full minute of prime-time coverage just as the game was released. We'd literally be nowhere today without that support, because we would've gone surefire bust—I had borrowed so much cash for us to complete SteamWorld Dig that any smaller initial sales volumes would've rendered us extinct."

"Nobody had heard of us when we released SteamWorld Dig on 3DS in August 2013, and Nintendo decided to bet on the game in a Nintendo Direct at the time. I guess you could call us 'Nintendo's first Nindie experiment.'"

On Steamworld Dig 2 :
"The Switch is the hip new system, and that's very important. In terms of SteamWorld Dig 2 sales, the other platforms so far—Steam and PS4/Vita—don't come close."

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet another to add to the list, a list that is very encouraging and great and good.

But I'm sure there's one user here who will be at it again soon enough ;)

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Steamworld Dig 1 and 2. Congrats to these guys. The hub music in Steamworld Dig 2, in particular, is delicious.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Lol!

Take the phenomenon of some Switch owners complaining about "ugly" game icons. "I thought it was just ridiculous then, but ... it needs to be taken into consideration," Sigurgeirsson said. "I think some people will NOT buy games that make their Switch look subpar. It really is a fashion statement, just like how people would pimp their DS's and 3DS's with shells." Indeed, Image & Form ended up changing their icon for SteamWorld Dig 2 and it's definitely much prettier on my Switch home screen.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They deserve the success. I hope SD2 does as well, if not better. It's a better game than the first.

Also hey, if y'all wanna port Steamworld Heist to Switch, I wouldn't complain... just sayin...

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steamworld Dig 2 has sold over 23,000 Copies on Steam. So Switch Version does seem to be doing pretty good

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I need to grab this game, but debating between Switch and PC. On the one hand, the portability is great, on the other hand, the Steam winter sale is right around the corner...

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They're a wonderful dev that makes great games. They deserve all the success the find and then some.

Aligning the marketing heavily with Nintendo and the Switch really paid off. It was the signature game of the month for that platform in September.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Since I'm already late, I'll just wait for the winter sale. But yeah I loved Dig 1.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Image & Form is doing well! I've loved all the SteamWorld games (still have to finish up Heist though) and I can't wait to see what they have lined up next. One of my favorite independent developers for sure.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Neiteio did it! Regardless of the individual stance anyone has on the topic, the original icon was so bad I thought it was intentional to provoke an outcry and get some attention.

The updated Switch icon for Steamworld Dig 2 really is a work of art. Matches the game perfectly.

lets hope they port Heist... I really liked it

I would actually double dip Steamworld Heist. Started playing it on the Wii U, but then the Switch arrived and...

Yet another to add to the list, a list that is very encouraging and great and good.

But I'm sure there's one user here who will be at it again soon enough ;)

Steamworld Dig 2 really is a must-have Switch game (unless you hate 2D games in general). It's also one of the best reviewed indies out there. Such a perfect game.

NegativeCero

Oct 28, 2017
I started and finished Steamworld Dig 1 on Vita with full intention of playing through 2 on the Swtich. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I did end up picking it up.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to these guys - they are already one of my favorite studios out there.

PS. Need HEIST on Switch as well.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Sony has 70 million PS4s in the marketplace you would assume sales would be highest on that platform.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Well deserved. Loved the first game and also gonna grab the sequel anytime soon.

Im kinda surprised the sequel sold on Switch more than on the other platforms. The power of the Switch.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good for them. Disappointed that the Playstation brand's indie support and userbase seems to be drastically fading away.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Considering Sony has 70 million PS4s in the marketplace you would assume sales would be highest on that platform.

I would've assumed PC had the highest sales. The game came out of nowhere for me.

And I still think the pc will eclipse the other versions eventually. Long tail sales and etc

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn that's impressive for Switch. 70 million PS4's out there and lord knows how many capable PC's vs. 8 million Switches

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Switch isn't just hip. It offers the ability to play a game on TV and on the go. Indies are great for this since the experience is identical.

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
Super interested to try it out, especially with all this positive hype being thrown around. Do I need to have played the first Steamworld Dig? Dug what I played of Heist.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Haha omg.

Any before and after for SD2 for reference? ^^
Yeah, can't blame people for this one, it was really ugly af.

swd2_icon_before_afteoajfa.jpg

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't even know it was out for PS4. Thought Nintendo had exclusivity for a while.
Maybe we can make an OT for PSN weekly releases where it wasn't allowed elsewhere? =)

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Picked it up for my birthday at release on the Switch and blasted through it. Such a great sequel to an already fantastic game. I intend to 100% one of these days. As many have stated above, I too would double-dip on Heist if it were re-released on Switch.