• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really? Oh consider me corrected then, I totally forgot that. I played through the games convinced the different schools were their own invention.
We don't hear a whole bunch about them, so easy to forget about, but there's a Witcher from the Cat school in one of the books and a Griffen (and a Wolf and Cat) medallion is found on someone who I'll leave nameless, as the show will most likely cover him eventually.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
Looks awesome! It's time to read the books! I just started the second one [ still novels ]... ^^,

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Really? Oh consider me corrected then, I totally forgot that. I played through the games convinced the different schools were their own invention.
We don't hear a whole bunch about them, so easy to forget about, but there's a Witcher from the Cat school in one of the books and a Griffen (and a Wolf and Cat) medallion is found on someone who I'll leave nameless, as the show will most likely cover him eventually.

Producer also pretty much confirmed in her Twitter AMA that we are going to meet Witcher's from other schools in season 1.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Producer also pretty much confirmed in her Twitter AMA that we are going to meet Witcher's from other schools in season 1.
Oh, sweet, the other Schools are super interesting to me, as we just don't know a whole lot about them. I wonder if they do their own school too, as I don't think the books imply Wolf, Cat and Griffen are the only Witcher Schools that exist.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Hell yeah, this I'm happy about. Make Chalotra the lead of the show while you're at it.
Zach McGowan would have made for a perfect Geralt imo, the acting, the voice, his physique, much more in line with Geralt (both Book Geralt and game).

To me it seems like that the showrunner had already decided on Henry before they even started auditions and casting because Henry had talked about it before then. Of course Henry is a much bigger name then Zach so once he showed interest it was probably an easy get for Netflix coming off of MI/Superman, but to me he just doesn't look/feel like Geralt, he's not lanky, doesn't have the gruff voice and acting wise he's not as good imo, at least when it comes to playing that kind of character.

I still hope it turns out good, and they certainly are trying.

Yeah I've seen McGowan brought up a lot and he definitely left an impression on me while I watched bit of Black Sails. One person I thought could had been great is the recent Golden Globe winner from Big Little Lies, Alexander Skarsgård. He's rather decent actor with range from what I've seen (runs in the family) and while not the most important thing, he's physique during Tarzan is closer to what I'd expect than what Cavill is here, while still being buff and easy on the eyes. He's taller and older than Cavill though (about 6 years), but there's already rather big age difference with Cavill and Chalotra in the show so I don't think it would have mattered much. And I don't think Skarsgård looks notably older than Cavill anyway.
d81d3fff924e4bf9bb05f188d9764b5a.jpg

26919034-e1467890530746.jpg

Last edited:

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, its weird how they were thoughtful enough to give northern kingdoms appropriate armor, and still made the nilfgardians look like orcs.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Which has no bearings on what the show is about. There's no other witchers in the books beyond those in Kaer Morhen.
There are more than Kaer Morhen in the books, but you're missing my point if you think I'm saying Letho specifically is a reason why muscular men can be fast and agile. Letho was CDPR's way of exploring that trope, but you really only need to watch a boxing match to know that muscle and size doesn't turn you into a video-game trope (Dark Souls is very guilty of this).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There are more than Kaer Morhen in the books, but you're missing my point if you think I'm saying Letho specifically is a reason why muscular men can't be fast and agile. Letho was CDPR's way of exploring that trope, but you really only need to watch a boxing match to know that muscle and size doesn't turn you into a video-game trope (Dark Souls is very guilty of this).
DxD83U9VAAEBC9E.jpg:large

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling. I find the age difference jarring.

I know the book explanation but I don't think it will feel right while watching. Not sure if I will give it a try maybe I'll try the first few episodes and see how I feel.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Looks cool and glad that Cavill bulked up for this even if that wig is still awful. This post-GoT Fantasy TV gold rush should be quite entertaining.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Looks good, its weird how they were thoughtful enough to give northern kingdoms appropriate armor, and still made the nilfgardians look like orcs.

It's almost like we don't have context and understanding for that design.

I still think there is more to the design and there is reason for it being like that.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks in here complaining about it looking cheap need to wash their eyes out in my opinion, I think it looks fantastic and epic.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Folks in here complaining about it looking cheap need to wash their eyes out in my opinion, I think it looks fantastic and epic.
Everyone here expecting a Netflix show to look like the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones, which cost about $30m to make.

Witcher looks good, above expectations. The most important thing people are not giving much attention to is the fact that the writer Lauren S. Hissrich is a huge Witcher nerd. Both her and Cavil read the books and played the games.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't season 8 cost HBO over 100M?
I dunno, Drogon looked pretty good.
Huh? Season 8 was shit story wise but it looked fantastic for the most part. The only weird part was that King's Landing was suddenly surrounded by desert, I guess they kinda forgot about the mountains lol.

The dragons looked convincingly real.
Yeah, no, season 8 had a lot of problems, but looking cheap was not 1 of them.
I sadly disagree, season 8 looked rushed and dialled down to previous seasons. There certainly were some good scenes like attack on king's landing but most of the CGI was cheap looking or less bombastic in what we had prior. Especially I noticed a lot of dark scenes to help blend the CGI so that it was less obvious.

To each there own, I think this looks fantastic for a book adaptation and I can't wait.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like we don't have context and understanding for that design.

I still think there is more to the design and there is reason for it being like that.

Sure we have context, from the video games and the books.

It looks very silly and off putting. Especially if one of the things you like about the games is its faithfulness to historical armor. I get that its fantasy, but making something less immersive to provide a lazy label to the "badies" seems well bad. Nilgardians aren't monsters or from mordor.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Some of that looks really bad, most of it looked pretty good. Will likely check out, which is not how I expected to feel.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Sure we have context, from the video games and the books.

It looks very silly and off putting. Especially if one of the things you like about the games is its faithfulness to historical armor. I get that its fantasy, but making something less immersive to provide a lazy label to the "badies" seems well bad. Nilgardians aren't monsters or from mordor.
Nilfgaardian soldiers wore helmets shaped like "monstrous toothed jaws" and one notable officer had huge bird wings on his helmet. It's safe to say that Sapkowski wasn't exactly going for historical accuracy.
The video games aren't a faithful adaptation, so one shouldn't get attached to pretty much any of CDPR's designs. Be that characters, costumes, monsters or... anything, really.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Nilfgaardian soldiers wore helmets shaped like "monstrous toothed jaws" and one notable officer had huge bird wings on his helmet. It's safe to say that Sapkowski wasn't exactly going for historical accuracy.
The video games aren't a faithful adaptation, so one shouldn't get attached to pretty much any of its designs. Be that characters, costumes, monsters or... anything, really.

From what I remember, Sapkowski didn't describe there armor as monstrous. I recall Cahir fairly unremarkable plate armor with wings attached to the helm. Nilfgaadian knights are said to have ornamentation on their helms, but otherwise it is fairly ordinary.
Winged_sallet3.jpg

I assume he would have used a different illustrator if the armor was weird and monstrous looking.

Not to mention that it looks a lot better.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great!

Production values look quite good to me. Certainly better than GoT Season 1.

Don't expect any show to try to match what we saw in the later seasons. There just isn't the budget. The Long Night probably cost as much to make as a blockbuster movie.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cavil is very muscular but it's a lean muscularity that doesn't come off as brutish or cumbersome. He still looks very lean in the outfit.

Overall this is looking great.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The only thing that somewhat worries me is Ciri looking/being so old right from the start, but otherwise looks really good to me. Can't wait to see this.

I assume he would have used a different illustrator if the armor was weird and monstrous looking.

Not to mention that it looks a lot better.
Isn't that the cover art for the US edition of Sword of Destiny? I'd be surprised if Sapkowski had anything to do with picking the illustrators for any other editions than maybe the initial polish releases from the 90s.