• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember, Sapkowski didn't describe there armor as monstrous. I recall Cahir fairly unremarkable plate armor with wings attached to the helm. Nilfgaadian knights are said to have ornamentation on their helms, but otherwise it is fairly ordinary.
Winged_sallet3.jpg

I assume he would have used a different illustrator if the armor was weird and monstrous looking.

Not to mention that it looks a lot better.
He did, in classic Sapkowski style, he described the helmets as such right near the end of the final book of the main series. And Cahir's helmet is supposed to be huge.
Authors usually don't get to choose the cover artists for foreign editions, and given that there are Polish editions with video game artwork, I don't think he had much of a say even back home.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I must remember it wrong then. I just remember that Geralt noticed how she used to be a hunchback while observing her.
It's kinda like how you can tell if someone had some work done. It's not like Geralt has x-ray vision for magic.

It's actually both. Magic was used to "fix" smaller blemishes permanently, while more severe disfigurements or wounds are being hidden by illusionary spells. Yen is no exception there.
[citation needed]

They specifically describe correcting her disfigurement, straightening her spine and shoulder blades. Those aren't smaller blemishes.
Plus, if what you describe were true, I'm not sure if the "illusion" would hold up when she was under the effect of the anti-magical contraption.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Vladimir Furdik is the flight choreographer for this show. So i am expecting great things.

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda like how you can tell if someone had some work done. It's not like Geralt has x-ray vision for magic.

[citation needed]

They specifically describe correcting her disfigurement, straightening her spine and shoulder blades. Those aren't smaller blemishes.
Plus, if what you describe were true, I'm not sure if the "illusion" would hold up when she was under the effect of the anti-magical contraption.
I don't remember her name, but she was a sorceress that lost her jaw at Sodden. They weren't able to regenerate it outright so she got a magical illusion to cover her wounds.
Dimeritium seemingly has no effect on those spells. Mind you that the German translation which I recently read might have a different description regarding what was used to "fix" up Yen and to what extent.
as far as I recall, Triss is also using an illusion to hide the scars she got at Sodden
(As well as the books contradicting and breaking their own rules on occasion)

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember her name, but she was a sorceress that lost her jaw at Sodden. They weren't able to regenerate it outright so she got a magical illusion to cover her wounds.
Dimeritium seemingly has no effect on those spells. Mind you that the German translation which I recently read might have a different description regarding what was used to "fix" up Yen and to what extent.
as far as I recall, Triss is also using an illusion to hide the scars she got at Sodden
Lydia's case is very different from Yennefer's. Her injuries are tied to a curse and a mutation preventing regeneration.
Triss doesn't rely on illusions. The scars ("marks") are already hardly noticeable, yet they're enough to keep her wearing those buttoned-up jackets, hinting at limits of magical healing/corrective magickery.

Oct 26, 2017
Lydia's case is very different from Yennefer's. Her injuries are tied to a curse and a mutation preventing regeneration.
Triss doesn't rely on illusions. The scars ("marks") are already hardly noticeable, yet they're enough to keep her wearing those buttoned-up jackets, hinting at limits of magical healing/corrective magickery.
I think you're right. Might misremember a thing or two.
Personally I am more than curious how they depict Neneke.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people thing geralt is supposed to be ugly? The guy makes ladies swoon all the time both in the books and the games

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It's because the sorceress in question was deathly allergic to healing magic btw.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks much better than I anticipated. Wasn't really feeling Cavill as Geralt at first but now I am cautiously optimistic, especially after seeing that blessed last shot with the potion face. Also, I like how this is skewing close to the books; they even put hunchback Yen in there, wow.

Am stunned and kind of disgusted by the garbage heap of racist trash comments the show has been getting on YouTube and on other corners of the internet because the showrunners dared to cast people of color in it.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
"Chaos is the most dangerous thing in this world... BUT without control, chaos will kill you"

?

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
The only thing that somewhat worries me is Ciri looking/being so old right from the start, but otherwise looks really good to me. Can't wait to see this.

Isn't that the cover art for the US edition of Sword of Destiny? I'd be surprised if Sapkowski had anything to do with picking the illustrators for any other editions than maybe the initial polish releases from the 90s.

That is the cover of the Spanish edition.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder, considering if they even get that far into the series, how they'll handle some of the really messed up things that happen to Ciri.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
That gif makes it lol cheap, the actual video gave me goose bumps. Carville baby face is what looks too clean, but I'm guessing this is based on his early years prior to losing his memory?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That gif makes it lol cheap, the actual video gave me goose bumps. Carville baby face is what looks too clean, but I'm guessing this is based on his early years prior to losing his memory?

Games have nothing to do with this series. Whole amnesia thing is only in games.

The way he's described in the books isn't exactly flattering.

And some say book describes him as quite handsome, people seem to take description of Geralt from books very differently.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Games have nothing to do with this series. Whole amnesia thing is only in games.

And some say book describes him as quite handsome, people seem to take description of Geralt from books very differently.
He's often described as lanky, skinny, sickly, smelly, covered in sinews and scars, he is a heavily mutated person who hunts monsters, which doesn't pay well, so expected he'd probably not look too healthy or smell great.
He is also described as well built by some, which I guess could be took as handsome and leaves some room for doubt.
It's not a big deal though, I mean it's not like game (W2 and W3 anyway) Geralt isn't super handsome too.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people thing geralt is supposed to be ugly? The guy makes ladies swoon all the time both in the books and the games
Because he's supposed to have a wrinkled mess of a not-old-yet-not-young face signifying a lifetime of hard work, not a lifetime subscription to a line of beauty products.
He's not meant to be repulsive, but he should be on the rougher end of the spectrum.

Those people tend to bring up the same mistranslated line about his "good looks" which in Polish only mentioned his "type of facial features."

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
He's often described as lanky, skinny, sickly, smelly, covered in sinews and scars, he is a heavily mutated person who hunts monsters, which doesn't pay well, so expected he'd probably not look too healthy or smell great.
He is also described as well built by some, which I guess could be took as handsome and leaves some room for doubt.
It's not a big deal though, I mean it's not like game (W2 and W3 anyway) Geralt isn't super handsome too.

Well, it's likely that very few people want to watch a TV show fronted by someone who looks the way you described. Casting some skinny, skanky-looking dude in the lead is not going to be a great recipe for success and I'm glad of that.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
The majority of that trailer was long women (love ya ;-))scenes and no creatures which is most of Witcher. This better not be dragged on with some emotional nonsense.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The majority of that trailer was long women (love ya ;-))scenes and no creatures which is most of Witcher. This better not be dragged on with some emotional nonsense.

Monsters are tiny, tiny part of the books. The fact that producer has said that series will feature quite a lot of them must have made book fans frown.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Monsters have mostly been killed or pushed back to where they don't really interact with humans much, game reasons forced CDPR hand, but even they play around with the idea of Witchers being a unnecessary relic of the past too, just falls flat when you kill like 10,000 monsters.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
The edits with the game music does show just how much character CDPR's music brought to the game and world, for the shows sake I hope they come up with something equally as iconic.