• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
x5jowvto8ob31.png

I think we're done here.

It's fake.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Looks alright. Would have preferred HBO behind something like this though. Production quality would have received a major bump up if they were producing. That said, I'll definitely be checking this out!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
x5jowvto8ob31.png

I think we're done here.

It's fake.

Speaking of, do we know what they are adapting? Or, to be precise, when in the timeline does the "now" of the series take place? Obviously there'll be flashbacks as per Yen's pre-magic appearance, but Ciri being prominently featured (and teenaged) suggests to me they're skipping the entirety of book one, at least (although I'm guessing the events of The Last Wish short story will be shown via flashbacks too, since they're quite important).

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Monsters have mostly been killed or pushed back to where they don't really interact with humans much, game reasons forced CDPR hand, but even they play around with the idea of Witchers being a unnecessary relic of the past too, just falls flat when you kill like 10,000 monsters.
Understood 👍. Thanks.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of, do we know what they are adapting? Or, to be precise, when in the timeline does the "now" of the series take place? Obviously there'll be flashbacks as per Yen's pre-magic appearance, but Ciri being prominently featured (and teenaged) suggests to me they're skipping the entirety of book one, at least (although I'm guessing the events of The Last Wish short story will be shown via flashbacks too, since they're quite important).
There are scenes directly from the books in that trailer, iirc Ciri has been aged up by default in this adaptation like the women in GoT.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There are scenes directly from the books in that trailer, iirc Ciri has been aged up by default in this adaptation like the women in GoT.

I mean, sure, but Ciri hasn't even been born for most of the first book, even in the one story that "features" her as a plot point. It's pretty safe to say they're skipping most of the first book entirely, I'm just wondering how farther ahead they're starting.

I think Ciri's actress is actually the appropriate age for book 3 Ciri and onwards (and most of Ciri's appearances and relevance comes from the latter books), so I have no complaints there. However, I'm wondering if they will portraying her through different, unannounced actresses for her book 2 appearances, or if they're compressing most of her encounters with Geralt over a smaller time frame. I guess the latter would make more sense for the pacing of a TV series, but it's going to make for one hell of a character arc (and one hell of a quick Witcher training). :D

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are 10 pages of this so forgive me, but outside of the trailer looking relatively OK did anybody else think the CG creature at the end looked bad?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, sure, but Ciri hasn't even been born for most of the first book, even in the one story that "features" her as a plot point. It's pretty safe to say they're skipping most of the first book entirely, I'm just wondering how farther ahead.
Fair point.

There are 10 pages of this so forgive me, but outside of the trailer looking relatively OK did anybody else think the CG creature at the end looked bad?
Filming finished just a couple months ago, so the GI isn't finished. Ofc realistically speaking nothing in this show will match the level of late GoT CGI.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
The edits with the game music does show just how much character CDPR's music brought to the game and world, for the shows sake I hope they come up with something equally as iconic.

Sonya Belousova is responsible (together with Giona Ostinelli) for the soundtrack. She is Russian, which hopefully raises the chances for some great Slavic vibes to be incorporated into the music, in the spirit of the ones that made the Witcher games' soundtracks so good. By the way, the trailer didn't use any music from the score.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, but Ciri hasn't even been born for most of the first book, even in the one story that "features" her as a plot point. It's pretty safe to say they're skipping most of the first book entirely, I'm just wondering how farther ahead they're starting.

I think Ciri's actress is actually the appropriate age for book 3 Ciri and onwards (and most of Ciri's appearances and relevance comes from the latter books), so I have no complaints there. However, I'm wondering if they will portraying her through different, unannounced actresses for her book 2 appearances, or if they're compressing most of her encounters with Geralt over a smaller time frame. I guess the latter would make more sense for the pacing of a TV series, but it's going to make for one hell of a character arc (and one hell of a quick Witcher training). :D
They're adapting most of the first short story collection and all identifiable scenes featuring Freya Allan are from the second short story collection.
There's nothing stopping them from rearranging where most of the short stories fit in the timeline, especially since the age change means that Geralt will now have much more time to fart around between visiting Cintra and meeting Ciri.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is a likelihood for whatever story they have planned for this to be told through a nonlinear approach.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
Might be referring to Ciri's power as a Source.
Sure, or just magic in general in the Witcher universe. It just sounds so silly because of the "but". It's like saying "drunk driving is dangerous but it can lead to serious accidents" instead of "drunk driving is dangerous and it can lead to serious accidents".

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, or just magic in general in the Witcher universe. It just sounds so silly because of the "but". It's like saying "drunk driving is dangerous but it can lead to serious accidents" instead of "drunk driving is dangerous and it can lead to serious accidents".

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, the inclusion of "but" there is strange. Maybe there's some language in between that was cut out for the trailer and it will make more sense in the full scene.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Yeah, it's super silly. I think it's meant as "it's powerful if you wield it (dangerous for others) but without control, it will kill you (dangerous for you)". Wouldn't be surprised if they spliced two different quotes for the trailer.

Which, incidentally, reminds me of a quote from the infinitely quotable MTMTE:

StHVM9c.jpg

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
His jaws too big. He looks too beefy for geralt

Honestly, if the shot of him shirtless wasn't in the trailer then hardly anyone would be saying he looks too beefy to be Geralt. I think his outfits in this hide his muscles pretty well. I really don't think him being too muscular is going to matter whatsoever when it comes out if he's actually any good in the role.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

'The Witcher' Showrunner Says Netflix Series Will Never Adapt the Video Games

Netflix's "The Witcher" is best known in the U.S. for the series of role playing video games by CD Projekt Red rather than the fantasy novels by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the games. But if the show ever moves past the story laid out in the books like "Game of Thrones" did, Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich says fans should definitely not expect it to mine the games for material.

"Extreme long vision is no, we will not start adapting the games," Hissrich told TheWrap during a press round table at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. "I can only attack one season at a time, I'm so excited for this one, the rest kind of makes my mind explode right now. If someone says 'what happens in Season 7,' sure I have thoughts. Fingers crossed, we get there."

-----------------------------------------------------

Now we can shut up about the games. Also, already talking Season 7? Oh boy.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, there's probably too much material from the books for them to cover the games. This could easily hit 10+ seasons as it is.

They need a better climax than the books though. I propose amping up the role the Wild Hunt plays, and then writing an original final battle that works in the context of the TV series.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

'The Witcher' Showrunner Says Netflix Series Will Never Adapt the Video Games

Netflix's "The Witcher" is best known in the U.S. for the series of role playing video games by CD Projekt Red rather than the fantasy novels by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the games. But if the show ever moves past the story laid out in the books like "Game of Thrones" did, Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich says fans should definitely not expect it to mine the games for material.

"Extreme long vision is no, we will not start adapting the games," Hissrich told TheWrap during a press round table at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. "I can only attack one season at a time, I'm so excited for this one, the rest kind of makes my mind explode right now. If someone says 'what happens in Season 7,' sure I have thoughts. Fingers crossed, we get there."

-----------------------------------------------------

Now we can shut up about the games. Also, already talking Season 7? Oh boy.
This is good news, there is a lot of material in the books, and while I think CDPR did a good job adapting The Witcher into video game form I was never a big fan of the stuff they added themselves.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
x5jowvto8ob31.png

I think we're done here.

It's fake.
Nothing wrong with people wanting the show to take some inspiration from the games, CDPR nailed it and is the only reason why lots of people read the books and made the witcher as popular as it is today (they're also the reason why its even called the witcher). But yeah I agree some people out there do take it a little too far.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I understand wanting to see game stuff after Season of Storms is adapted, but who in all honesty expected game elements to be reflected in the books' adaption? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Geralt having Viper Armor in the show is enough from the games IMO, and even that's a little on the nose, but it looks good so it can pass.

I'm also honestly curious to see if they'll ever touch the "leather band" thing that dominates all of the books' artworks lol

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I understand wanting to see game stuff after Season of Storms is adapted, but who in all honesty expected game elements to be reflected in the books' adaption? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Geralt having Viper Armor in the show is enough from the games IMO, and even that's a little on the nose, but it looks good so it can pass.

I'm also honestly curious to see if they'll ever touch the "leather band" thing that dominates all of the books' artworks lol
There's no reason to give him a headband since he already wears Video Game Geralt's scrunchie hair tie.

The Netflix Geralt design is so close to CD Projekt Red's, I feel like it justifies game fans wanting this adaptation to borrow more from the games.