• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Howdy! After reading about this game over the web and finally getting a PC, I'm able to try the game and understand what all the hubbub is about. I'm and I'm having a good time so far. I literally just started and made it to the beach area before I had to save and quit. The controls are kind of awkward but I think I'll get used to them. I'm the clan with the blood magic. It starts with a T. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player?

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Make sure you install the latest fan patch

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647/7/74904

Make sure you pick the dialogue option that lets you go through the tutorial level. The Tremere are a fine starting clan.

The rail yard is the "hump" of the game. It's a fairly early level so your powers suck and it goes on for too long, but once you beat it the game should improve.

Side-quests are as detailed and in some cases more detailed than the main quests. Make sure you do all of them.

The game is centered around melee. You can't really make a good gun build until later in the game. I tend to put points into hacking, lockpicking, and persuasion because it unlocks more areas and mission paths.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't play as Malk until 2nd playthrough.

Just swallow the bitter pill that the combat is just not good and power through it asap when it does come up (which is too much toward the end of the game).

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this. Malkavian is great, but not on the first playthrough. All their dialogue is different than the other races because they're crazy, OP. And there are sometimes dropped hints of things your character shouldn't know as a Malkavian (the craziness is also some kinda insight), but are nice little easter eggs on your second playthrough when you already know the story.

If you ever want to do a second run, of course.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People will suggest you play as the race with the funny dialogue, this is a bad idea for a first run. When you do a first run through with one of the other vampire races that have the regular dialogue options you get a general sense of the story and conversations so the funny weird font options don't look completely off putting.

You should also download the fan patch, and also check out any HD textures mods options if you want it to look prettier.

Someone who has done it more recently can give better advise as well, but I recall when I played it there were two overhaul mods: one which added some missions and some things here and there that made the game more user friendly, another which straight up added a bunch of systems the base game had and would change the experience fairly drastically. Like adding a whole team of partners/followers you could have with you.

Oct 27, 2017
The haunted house is glitchy as fuck. There's a code to let you skip it if you get stuck, so don't get worried if/when you do

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Download the fan patch it legitimately does not work without it on modern infrastructure.

And yeah do not play a Malkavian on your first run, play it seriously the first time to get a grasp of the world and it's concepts and then play through as a Malkavian you'll enjoy the meta-humor and weird choices more.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
if you wanna play a Malkavian, which is awesome and they get the funniest diologue, you can only Truly play them if it's your first playthrough. half the fun (and difficulty) is working out the real meaning behind their ridiculous dialogue, and it presents a wholly unique perspective you will most likely never find in another game!

they also get pimped out gear as their final outfit, and it is amazing.

also, like most games with it, try getting that Diplomacy skill (I think that's what it's called) way the heck up if you want the best ends to some quests.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely put SOME points into combat, unfortunately this isn't a game that you can go through the entire thing by talking.

And yeah like others said, download the patch, it's a necessity. Even if it makes you restart.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Make sure you install the latest fan patch

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647/7/74904

Make sure you pick the dialogue option that lets you go through the tutorial level. The Tremere are a fine starting clan.

The rail yard is the "hump" of the game. It's a fairly early level so your powers suck and it goes on for too long, but once you beat it the game should improve.

Side-quests are as detailed and in some cases more detailed than the main quests. Make sure you do all of them.

The game is centered around melee. You can't really make a good gun build until later in the game. I tend to put points into hacking, lockpicking, and persuasion because it unlocks more areas and mission paths.

Be sure to check out its page on PC Gaming Wiki if you have any troubles running the game (or just want to make it look nicer):

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_-_Bloodlines

There's links to all the fan patches there plus some other good tweaks. Other than that: have fun!

Thanks for these! I've been trying to figure out how to up the resolution!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting timing on this, since this is about to be the RPG Club's next game.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Quoted for truth, but at your second playthrough.
vampirestopsign.jpg

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

Just swallow the bitter pill that the combat is just not good and power through it asap when it does come up (which is too much toward the end of the game).

Mainly don't play Malkavian your first playthrough.

I actually got Malkavian my first start up when I did the question option, but restarted because I had no idea what was going on haha. Made it to the part where you get the lock pick in tutorial, but couldn't go any further.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of adaptations of tabletop RPGs have issues with useless skills because they include every skill from the game, but the designers don't necessarily create situations that use all of them in meaningful ways. What instances of that are there in this?

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Alright, so I downloaded the unofficial patch and changed the resolution. The game is glitching now and some stuff isn't showing properly. How do I fix that?

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea as Aeana mentioned, we're about to start playing through this like at exactly the same time for the RPG club so definitely swing by and join us, the thread is here.