• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have vague memories of EA announcing that they were working on "Harry Potter Online", an MMO of sorts in 2000/2001 but for the life of me I can't seem to find any of the art and concept images they released for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have vague memories of EA announcing that they were working on "Harry Potter Online", an MMO of sorts in 2000/2001 but for the life of me I can't seem to find any of the art and concept images they released for it.

I don't remember that but I will take the mobile game before EA fucking up another of my beloved IP. Star wars was enough, thank you. At least the mobile game I can just ignore it's existence.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's few other franchises I can think of that slap you across the face and scream TURN ME INTO AN RPG like HP. People go gaga over even just getting sorted into the damn houses, let alone be able to take their student through seven years.

Hopefully this is just a prelude to an, ah, more robust version on the horizon.

Oct 30, 2017
I like the concept, and the trailer was neat, but it is INCREDIBLY difficult to make a mobile game that holds my attention for more than a few hours. Usually the mechanics are about as shallow as possible and it just turns into a chore. But I hold out hope that these guys will get it right. Will download day one.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Animations kinda remind me of the Sims.

I'll definitely give this a try, but I have a feeling it'll be OK for an hour or two and then get bad either from repetitive gameplay, too much required grinding, or progression that gets slowed to a crawl unless you spend money.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I've been waiting for a mobile Harry Potter experience that can top this one:

vermuno.gif

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surely the cheap movie-tie in game for Fantastic Beasts has to be a Pokemon Go knock-off where you scour the world for all sorts of mythical creatures.

I still think there's untapped potential in a Potterverse style game, espicially since a few of the movie tie-in games were pretty ok (Chamber being the personal fav). Ah well. Maybe in the future.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Played it for 5 minutes, it's a reeeeeeally early version. Half of the music is missing, lags are sometimes terrible, interface is meh (you need to tap dialogues twice to trigger the next phrase).

But I'll definitely continue tomorrow, hopefully there's enough content. Right now I'm falling asleep.

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
Might be okay, will definetely play it. Might just be a case of gauging how much interest there is for a bigger HP game.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it. Not really into mobile games, but I've always wanted to be a student at Hogwarts. It'll be fun getting to experience the classes and what not. Didn't see Quidditch listed in the description, but I wonder if that'll be included.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Some new images and details from the Google Play page:

YOU have been chosen to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! Embark on your own adventure in this all new RPG set in the wizarding world, years before Harry Potter received his Hogwarts letter. Explore never-before-seen rooms of Hogwarts Castle and investigate ancient mysteries. Learn powerful magic and knowledge from Professors Dumbledore, Snape, and more. Duel against your rivals and forge alliances with new friends to help you on your adventures. As part of WBIE's Portkey Games label, this groundbreaking mobile game puts you at the center of an all-new story in the wizarding world.

When your mettle is tested, what kind of witch or wizard will you be? A heroic Gryffindor? A cunning Slytherin? You decide! After all, this is your Hogwarts story.

Game Features:
Magic Spells, Potions & More
- Attend classes to learn and master magical skills like casting spells and brewing potions.
- Unlock new characters, spells, potions and locations as you advance through the years of Hogwarts.
- Customize your student avatar.
Mystery and Adventure
- Use your magical skills to investigate mysteries at Hogwarts.
- Discover the truth behind the Cursed Vaults and your brother's disappearance in an all new story.
Friendships that Matter
- Bond with your housemates to win the House Cup.
- Go on quests to help friends and fellow students…or frustrate rivals.
- Earn respect and build relationships by adventuring together.

4.png
1.png
3.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png

sjlD8oRXfuu8EquGh_V8xmFgYUex-j4Rqyy1XUKQNOUm9NPlWmvmfTFjoR-SDwBuOBsm=h900

Edit: Sorry, DP.

SoyPrincess

Banned
Jan 22, 2018
I knew Jam City was a grime music producer but I didn't know it was also a maker of Harry Potter phone games as well.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I'd kill for a AA RPG that puts you in the role of Aurors solving magical crimes and taking do bad guys with magic.

On this game I'm getting some real Marvel Avengers Academy vibes.

Doctor Shatner

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For a mobile game those graphics seem pretty good (maybe I'm just out of the loop?).

Obviously not the AAA Hogwarts MMO (or single player) game many here would want, but I hope it's still a good time!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kill for a AA RPG that puts you in the role of Aurors solving magical crimes and taking do bad guys with magic.

On this game I'm getting some real Marvel Avengers Academy vibes.

Ehhh even if it's a bit of a repeat of the source material, I'd so much rather play something set in the school than be Magic Cops.

Hopefully it's in a vaguely competent state when it hits a wide iOS release; I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Check out the GBC games. Really decent RPGs.
What happened with Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA was a travesty. There was a guy on the old place who was on the dev team for the GBC games and GBA Azkaban, and EA really screwed them over. Basically the team was given free reign to do whatever they wanted with the GBC games as those were significantly lower priority at the time, but had the suits breathing down their necks when they were "promoted" to the more marketable GBA. EA also didn't trust their graphics team to take full advantage of the GBA's capabilities, so they outsourced the sprite work and such to a different company, resulting in the team spending most of the dev time reprogramming the graphics engine to work with the new sprites and backgrounds.

I never got very far into it - it lacked a lot of the "magic" the first two had - but I heard the game ends very abruptly. Given that the dev team ended up with only about half the dev time they wanted, I'm not too surprised.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
What a weird, weird title. Hogwarts Mystery? I am glad they are going to tackle the sole mystery of Hogwarts. Though I do have some family members who will probably love this. At first I thought this thread was going to be about the mobile game by the Pokemon Go devs.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it and so far there is very little gameplay, you are just going around to different classes and stuff, then you tap on things in the area to finish the class (but it costs stamina to tap on a thing lol). Right now I'm just playing it to see if the story goes anywhere interesting. I'm not sure what I expected but its much more linear than I thought - you're not attending hogwarts as your own character, you're attending hogwarts in the boots of the character and plotline they wrote.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing it and so far there is very little gameplay, you are just going around to different classes and stuff, then you tap on things in the area to finish the class (but it costs stamina to tap on a thing lol). Right now I'm just playing it to see if the story goes anywhere interesting. I'm not sure what I expected but its much more linear than I thought - you're not attending hogwarts as your own character, you're attending hogwarts in the boots of the character and plotline they wrote.

Post more updates and impressions when you get a chance. I'm interested in this.

Oct 30, 2017
My wife doesn't play video games but is obsessed with anything HP. I let her play a bit on my phone last night and she commented about how great the graphics looked...

I've been showcasing Horizon, Uncharted 4, AC: Origins, and Gears 4 to her for a long time and she just now comments about the standout graphics of a mobile game on a 5 inch screen...

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post more updates and impressions when you get a chance. I'm interested in this.

Your character's older brother was expelled from Hogwarts and he ran away and you haven't seen him since. You're at Hogwarts to try to find out what happened to him.

There is a female Slytherin rival character who messes with you. She's fun.

There's a bookish Ravenclaw who becomes pals with you. He's a little timid.

(I chose Ravenclaw so I don't know if that affects the above two's houses)

Gameplay consists of tapping and talking.

In the tap sections you go to a mission/class and you have a five star meter. It costs 1 energy to tap on a thing once. (For example during potions you tap on ingredients 3 times to gather all the ingredients). Energy refills slowly over time and fully on level up. Tapping on things gives you XP for leveling up and fills up the star meter, once you have five stars you finished the class and get XP and Gold and gems. You get gold and gems for leveling up as well. The gold can be spent on new outfits, the gems can be spent on buying energy or making a class available faster (some classes you have to wait an hour before you can attend). The classes are also timed, usually one hour. I ran out of energy on one class and just wanted to see what happened, I passed the class with four stars, I don't know if you can fail a class; if you don't get enough stars perhaps.

The talking sections are more interesting, you have to choose what you think is the right way to respond to certain things, like a classmate being afraid of flying or a bully trying to intimidate you. You try to figure out the best response (each of which is either like a Hufflepuff, Gryffyndor or Ravenclaw).

Right now the game has Year 1 and Year 2, and it says you need to be level 30 for year 1. I'm only level 4 having played for maybe 2-3 hours so either the game really opens up in a bit or there's a heck of a grind later on, we'll see. At this point I just want to figure out if the story is any good.