• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
686634_front.jpg

Metacritic: 75 | OpenCritic: 78

• Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios
  • Publisher: SEGA
  • Release Date: March 8, 2018 Japan/October 2nd 2018 US, EU
  • Platform: PS4
  • Price: $59.99
  • ESRB Rating: M for Manly
A brief history of SEGA developed Fist of the North Star games

The year is 1986, SEGA had just launched the SEGA Mark III in Japan a few months prior, and were now pushing out titles for it at a consistent pace, and a young programmer, a certain guy named "Yuji Naka". Managed to convince his bosses to let him make a game based off a then 3 year old Shouen Jump Manga.
178569-hokuto-no-ken-sega-master-system-screenshot-title-screen.png

That game, just called "Hokuto no Ken" like the manga. Is effectively a pretty standard beat em up, but still a rather solid one. Kenshiro walks his way through a 2D plane, punching people so hard they explode (An accurate representation of the manga.) and occasionally fighting a boss or two based off villains from the series.

Meanwhile in North America and Europe, Master System owners got this.
81498-black-belt-sega-master-system-screenshot-title.gif

Don't let the generic title screen fool you, this is the western release of the Mark III game. Just rather poorly disguised as a generic game. the Enemies still explode when you punch them, for one.
81501-black-belt-sega-master-system-screenshot-riki-shattered-his.gif

Barring the different character designs, it's pretty much identical in terms of gameplay.

Eventually, SEGA moved on to the Mega Drive in 1988. Which would also get a Fist of the North Star game of it's own a year later.
680543-last-battle-genesis-screenshot-japanese-title-screen.png

"Shin Seikimatsu Kyūseishu Densetsu: Hokuto no Ken" (Which roughly translates to "Fist of the North Star: The New Legend of the Post-Apocalyptic Messiah") is more of the same gameplay wise, and is not really considered to be all that great. But that didn't stop the SEGA Genesis owners from getting this....

115747-last-battle-genesis-screenshot-title-screen.png

Once again, this is just a genericized version of the Mega Drive game, except now it's even more blatant that it was initially a FOTN game.
773917-last-battle-genesis-screenshot-another-boss.png

(Yes, they really did just do a palette swap on Kenshiro.)
The entire localization saga is rather confusing, as Fist of the North Star games were released unmodified on the NES and Game Boy. So it's not like the franchise was impossible to get the rights for outside of Japan.

Anyways, SEGA took a break from making Fist of the North Star games after this, and it wouldn't be until a few years after they went 3rd party that would make another one.

320px-SegaAges2500Vol11_title.png

With the "SEGA Ages 2500" lineup of budget remakes co-developed with D3 publisher, they made the surprising decision to remake the Master System FOTNS game as part of the series in 2004. How is it? Well, the 2500 part of the title refers to the lineup's low price of 2500 yen and....
tumblr_nxo13xsQf61r7sijxo1_500.gif

(Gif source)
...Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Fortunately, someone at SEGA clearly realized that people certainly wanted something way better than that, so one year later, this happened.

Now this is more like it!
Developed by the fighting game gods at Arc System Works (Known for the Guilty Gear series at the time) and running on the Atomiswave arcade hardware. this is a straight up fighting game starring Fist of the North Star characters. Needless to say, this took the bad taste caused by the 2500 remake out of peoples mouth easily.

There's one small catch, it wasn't released outside of Japan, not even in a modified form with the FOTNS IP removed.

Well, technically it was, the Arcade version received a limited North American release. But the home version (Released on PS2 on 2007.) never got localized. Which is rather unfortunate.

Surprisingly, SEGA took another break from the series after this (Unless if you want to count the numerous virtual Pachinko games released by subsidiary Sammy, which you definitely don't)

UNTIL NOW....

Gameplay

Where do i even start? In case that "Developer:" section wasn't clear. This is from the same team that made the Yakuza series, so there's a lot to unpack.

tumblr_p4kjlg7gMD1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Combat is pretty similar to past Yakuza games, with one major twist....
tumblr_p4kjlg7gMD1r7sijxo2_500.gif

(gif source)
Unlike Kiryu, Kenshiro gives no fucks about if his opponents live or not, and with his Hokuto Shinken moves. It's safe to say that most of his opponents are going to meet a very gruesome (The western release is uncensored too, so you aren't going to be seeing that black & white effect over here.) end indeed.

Of course, Yakuza isn't just about fighting, so this game has plenty of other fun side activites to do as well, such as....
PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT5_168082.jpg

Baseball! With a hapless mook on a motorcycle playing the role of the ball.

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT3_168082.jpg

Bartending!

362127-fist-of-the-north-star-lost-paradise-screenshot.jpg

Driving through the wasteland!

Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_2018_01-18-18_019.jpg

You can even run a Hostess club again!

Hokuto-ga-Gotoku_Official_09-21-17_015.jpg

You may even be able to play the original game that started it all, if you know where to look.....

Misc stuff.

If you like to explore the game as Kazuma Kiryu, i've got some good news for you.
FotNS-Kiryu-Skin_09-13-18.jpg

For the first week of release, you will be able to get a FREE DLC pack allowing you use him as an alternate skin for Kenshiro. Here are the US/EU store links!

If you like physical merch, i've got good news here as well.
Fist-of-the-North-Star-PS4-Reversible-Cover_08-24-18-600x338.jpg

All launch retail copies will include free decals featuring classic death quotes like "Hidebu!" and "It Balls!". Alongside a reversible cover (It's the one the Japanese release of the game had, they had to move it inside because the ESRB didn't like Yuria's cleavage.) and some extra DLC.
If you're lucky enough to live in France or Italy, SEGA has made a special "Kenshiro Edition" just for you.
81IhmDTfvLL._SX569_.jpg

Adding some cards and a lenticular cover.

If you wanted a play a Yakuza game with an English dub, i've got some good news for you too, as this is the first game since the original Yakuza to include one! Don't worry, you can switch to the Japanese dub (Featuring the standard Yakuza cast playing FOTNS characters!) at any time. No DLC needed.

Finally, this thread would not be complete with the amazing Japanese ad for this game.

(Unfortunately, it appears SEGA removed the commercial, so i had to use a reupload.)
It's a pretty accurate demonstration of what will happen to you after you play this game.

Edit: Here's the import thread BTW, i completely forgot to add it when making this.

You wa shock!

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just so happy we got this game in the west! Can't never have too many Yakuza or Fist of the North Star games!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, very nice job subbing for the OT! I hope purseowner gets better.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So many awesome games right now but I'll definitely be picking this one up. Anything remotely "Yakuza like" is on my list of must buys and it's good to see the reviews are great too.

Sega is smashing it right now with great games.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't going to buy this since I just came off Kiwami 2 and have other games in my recent backlog, but fuck it I'm in.

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as this comes out on PC I'm in. Might be tempted by a PSN sale before then, but I've already double-dipped for Yakuza 0 and Kiwami...

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My copy hasn't arrived yet unfortunately, but i'm really looking forward to playing this. Hope everyone who got it already is having a decent time with it.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
been playing it for a bit, stopped with it first changed to night time

combat it kinda nuts and a bit harder then other Yakuza games, they throw way more enemies at you and heat moves are no longer tied to meter instead you have to hit enemies enough until you can stun them then you get your heat move

still pretty fun, hearing Kiryu voice come out of Kenshiro always gets me and i can't wait till i see some more characters show up

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Great OT!
Hokuto no Ken is one of my favorite franchises and I'll purchasing this game today. I'm a day late to get the pre-order bonuses, but oh, well.

And get well soon, purseowner

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will immediately buy after work and enjoy more Yakuza like gameplay. And Kiryu Ken.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
We all FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHTIN' IN 90S, 90S, 90S

Subtitle should've been 'Your wallet is already dead, Tough Boy' ;3

Looking forward to playing this over the next couple of weeks when I get back home.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished my copy of the Japanese version last night, coincidentally. I imported back at launch but got sidetracked by something else at the time and ended up not even starting it until this last week. I'll be interested to see what people make of it in this thread.

Are there any good videos out there showcasing the English voice acting? It seems so weird to me to have an RGG Studio game get an English voice track :P

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Expecting 30 hours of pure fun and hype which it seems I will be getting. Can't wait to pick this up.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 1h. Looks great.

When is thzt Kiryu dlc supposed to be available ?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to pick up my copy from GameStop but apparently I have to wait until tomorrow due to technical problems. Oh well...

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
i cant remember the last time I bought two game at full price on the same day...

Gotta support RGG Team !

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Yeeeeeeesss
Between this and Alien Isolation this Gen has spawned two of my dream games.
Had the hardest time finding it in the wild though (Austria)

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
If the reviews are good (when?) I'll probably pick it up before Xmas but I still have Yakuza 2 to play first

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How is the gameplay structure? I enjoyed the combat part of the demo, leading up to Shin, but I didn't like the part where you were walking around the town doing quests.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon fucked up on my order (was ordering SEVERAL MONTHS in advance not enough notice for you!) so I'm without Yakuza on launch day. Which is mildly annoying.

Still, I've already plat'ed the import game so I can wait slightly longer. But in the mean time, some tips for the bar tending side of things:

Bar tending is basically just mixing drinks and listening to peoples troubles. Why do this? Max out shop keeper friendship (its super quick and easy, unlike Ishin!) and rewards you with discounts and exclusive parts your absolutely going to want. Plus its kinda hilarious seeing Kisana get drunk. The mini game levels up as you play, so when you serve the patron their final drink its harder than serving them their first drink. And this is where the difficulty comes into play as the timing windows are a pain in the ass to hit!

Shaking: The easiest of the bunch - just hold your pad vertically and grab onto it tight and shake hard.

QTE button presses: You have to rapidly switch from all four of the PS4's face buttons on this one, so try and run your thumb over all four in sequence (the sequence always remains the same) and do it real fast. You'll miss sometimes, but its far faster to do it that way than pressing each button precisely.

360 Analogue movement: The pure evil of the mini game, this one is an utter pain in the ass (and hand for that matter). Only way I managed this one was to place the palm of my hand over the analogue stick and then rotate it that way. Its faster and more accurate than using just one finger to rotate it. Still is very close time wise, but I generally had 90% success doing it this way.

Also, one other thing you want to do as early as possible is to visit the arcade. When its time for that questline to start you'll enter it and realise empty! From that point on when you get rank D treasure maps you have a very good chance of starting to find arcade machines. And when you get the Sega MKIII, once you give it to the guy, he'll hook it up to the TV in your room for you. So just go to your safe house in Eden to play it.

If anyone is going for the 100% and has questions let me know, I should still have most of it etched into my brain from the import version of the game!

Looking at early streams etc. on the game the translation definitely seems different to your average Yakuza game. That is to say some of the dialogue seems more "in your face". By that I mean Jagure at one point goes on about ripping somethings head off and shitting down its neck. But he's always angry anyway. Kisana though tells Kenshiro at one point to "kick his dick" (or words to that effect) and having played the Japanese version that's both absolutely hilarious and kinda out of character. I can't wait to see what Jaggi's dialogue is like.

Also, one not on some of the names - for some bizarre reason when translating the game, the localisation spells the name "Kisana" as "Xsana". Why? No clue, its a really dumb change that makes no bloody sense to me. No idea how good the dub is, but from what I heard I really didn't like it. But then again its a Yakuza game and part of that means to me playing it with the original Yakuza voice cast. I'll probably check out some Youtube vids for a laugh but can't see me ever using the option, but its cool to have it there for those that want it. I just hope it isn't too costly and negatively effects the localisation in that regard.

How is the gameplay structure? I enjoyed the combat part of the demo, leading up to Shin, but I didn't like the part where you were walking around the town doing quests.

Ever played any other Yakuza game? Same deal. The game has you do stuff between fights like exploring the town, driving in the wastelands etc. before throwing you into brawls and end of level bosses.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome OT!

Reading through it made me realize I've been playing Sega FOTNS games since I was a kid, and the only one I missed was the Sega Ages 2500 version! Might have to boot up Black Belt and Last Battle while I wait for my copy to arrive tonight.

people

Oct 27, 2017
A quick heads-up for those spoiled by recent Yakuza games: Manual saving at Save Points is back, so keep that in mind.

Also, a lot of busywork.

Last edited:

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
My copy is already in the mail.

I'm not sure if I should play this or Yakuza Zero first though, I'm new to the series so I think I'm gonna go with Zero first, then Fist of the North Star.

Nice OP, btw. I like the little history lesson on Sega's games.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon fucked up on my order (was ordering SEVERAL MONTHS in advance not enough notice for you!) so I'm without Yakuza on launch day. Which is mildly annoying.

Amazon UK or US? I just got an email from Amazon UK saying they are still trying to obtain stock, even though the store listing shows it is in stock!? I pre-ordered it in August.

I'm not too bothered, still have around 20 hours to go in DQXI, just hope I get it in time to unlock the Kiryu skin.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Very ready for this. Only watched a few episodes of the series but I'm an avid Yakuza fan.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon UK or US? I just got an email from Amazon UK saying they are still trying to obtain stock, even though the store listing shows it is in stock!? I pre-ordered it in August.

Me too! I decided to cancel and just grab the digital version, but they wont let me cancel...
I assume there's shenanigans going in because the product page says its in stock and available for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully they dispatch later today.

Oct 25, 2017