• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
FitERA lurker here! I wanna say thanks to everyone for the advice you all give in this thread. Thanks in part to you all, I went from being underweight to a healthy weight. I can deadlift double my own bodyweight, too! And my diet is hugely improved from what it was, too. I'm currently doing a 3 day workout week, with the first day all-body bodyweight exercises, the second day upper body weights, and the third day lower body weights. It works so well, and takes up less time for me than a normal split did. So, thanks for everything you've all contributed!

Hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa good work! It was all you.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Wanted to get back to weights this week, but I've had the sh*ts for 8 days now (after my recent insane ultra endurance race). Not happy.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Deload week rules! No backing the car out of the garage, sweating, changing clothes or showering. Been a very casual week so far. Going to have to get cold weather clothes though. Luckily it's been mid 50's when I go workout but that will tank very soon...

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
This ON protein cake bite that's suppose to be fruity pebbles flavored (which it is) is a bit too sweet for only 4g of sugar.

also im into the Ghost protein powder. the fruity milk cereal taste like froot loops. and the blueberry pastrie has some pastry pieces in there. but it taste more like toasted sugar pieces lol.
Ghost's coffee ice cream flavor is good too but damn their stuff is expensive; only reason I picked some up is because it was on sale. Their cereal milk flavor hits me right in the childhood feelings, except instead of weighing hundreds of pounds I'm lifting it instead.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a couple of months ago I started doing weights to try and gain some upper body mass. I've been taking additional protein supplements (whey) as well as trying to snack on more protein-rich stuff alongside my existing diet.

But I'm finding that my appetite over the last month or so is reducing, despite the increased exercise. I'm not finishing the same portions of meals I did before. And while I can see an improvement in tone, I'm actually losing weight.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to improve calorie intake and retention?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost's coffee ice cream flavor is good too but damn their stuff is expensive; only reason I picked some up is because it was on sale. Their cereal milk flavor hits me right in the childhood feelings, except instead of weighing hundreds of pounds I'm lifting it instead.
yeah. but luckily i just buy from GNC and only during deals or when they give me cash back rewards. im at like $30 now got another $5 back when i spend $10 or more. gotta use it before end of month lol. idk what else to get since im good on protein and vitamins and such. i might get some pre since thats the next thing that's about to go and since ive been buying ghost product. been saving up using their loyalty rewards too but thats forever. lol

the only flavor im not into is the bcaa from them. the swedish fish. too much like medicine. but then again i had to buy the swedish fish candy the same day since i never had it before..

but speaking of. the $15 back spend $60 has a coupon code on their website. if i knew that i could probably just have did different transaction to get more.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
but speaking of. the $15 back spend $60 has a coupon code on their website. if i knew that i could probably just have did different transaction to get more.
My fiancee and I both have GNC accounts so we can take advantage of our combined coupons. :P The best is when Ebates (signup if you're not a member already!) is running a 10% cashback deal on top of a GNC sale, too.

I'm actually about to order six canisters of protein powder from Vitamin Shoppe because the brand I want is buy one get 50% off and they also have a spend $100, get $20 off deal going on. My fiancee is going to kill me for the amount of space I'm about to use. :D

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On a 4-day upper/lower split, how many times should I be deadlifting? Currently I only deadlift once a week and the other I do SLDLs. Should I just be deadlifting twice a week instead?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
On a 4-day upper/lower split, how many times should I be deadlifting? Currently I only deadlift once a week and the other I do SLDLs. Should I just be deadlifting twice a week instead?

The johhny candito program im on goes back and forth between deadlifting twice a week, once a week, and once a week with a variation deadlift.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Depends what you want. If you want to improve your (I assume you're doing conventional) deadlift then do it twice a week. Specificity is an important part of training.

Don't just do a program, make sure it will align with your training goals. You are the best person to ask if you should do more deadlifting or not.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
One youtuber I follow recommended a once a week DL just because of how physically demanding it is. I personally follow that idea for all four of the big lifts, squat, bench, DL and OHP. Speaking about DL specifically and its variants, I do an RDL on leg day and an additional SLDL on back day with the DL itself. I've found that I feel much less punished by splitting those all off. At one point early on I was doing a DL, RDL and SLDL all on the same day and that got brutal as the weight ticked up. Where I'm at right now is basically following the 531 format and I'm liking it. As mentioned above, that really fits my goals and works well for me so you just have to figure out what works for you.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
I think my diet is on point besides my lunch. Currently eating sandwiches with whole wheat bread and a protein bar (about 500-600 calories in total). I was hoping maybe I can switch to something healthier and less processed or is what I'm already having fine?

What would be a good substitute that is easy to make? I was thinking I can replace the protein bar with almonds or cashews. not sure about the sandwiches.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I think my diet is on point besides my lunch. Currently eating sandwiches with whole wheat bread and a protein bar (about 500-600 calories in total). I was hoping maybe I can switch to something healthier and less processed or is what I'm already having fine?

What would be a good substitute that is easy to make? I was thinking I can replace the protein bar with almonds or cashews. not sure about the sandwiches.

My fellow employees at the lululemon do things like make-ahead starches, like whole grain or veggie pastas, quinoa, or rice and salads with dark leafy greens. They also eat raw veggies for snacks like bell peppers, celery, and carrots.

I'm not a nutrition expert by any means, though.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to pop in here with some feedback regarding intermittent fasting:

I stopped drinking coffee just over 1 week ago and my hunger pains are significantly less uncomfortable. In fact it's made the whole thing almost easy. I fasted for just over 24 hours on Monday without much difficulty. Normally that would be a huge achievement. I used to think coffee helped me get through the hunger, but after switching to only water/green tea I realize it was only making things worse.

Not many coffee drinkers would want to hear this (myself included), but just some food for thought.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Thankfully I've never had a problem with hunger pangs. If anything my big difficulty is forcing myself to eat enough.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the company that makes my favored vegan protein powder changed their formula and now I think it tastes like crap.

Does anyone have a protein powder or other pre and post workout food/drink they could recommend as a replacement?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So the company that makes my favored vegan protein powder changed their formula and now I think it tastes like crap.

Does anyone have a protein powder or other pre and post workout food/drink they could recommend as a replacement?
Ghost protein. i think the only option they have is marked as vegan which is Peanut butter cereal milk.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm plateauing hard on my bench press. I've been doing 4x4 for a couple of months, trying to reach 5 reps. Sometimes I can only do 3. I can't get past 70 pounds on my seated dumbbell overhead press. I've been at 70 for a longass time. It's hard as hell every time. Sometimes I can do 75 but only for a couple of sets.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends what you want. If you want to improve your (I assume you're doing conventional) deadlift then do it twice a week. Specificity is an important part of training.

Don't just do a program, make sure it will align with your training goals. You are the best person to ask if you should do more deadlifting or not.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll try upping it to twice a week, for maybe 9-10 sets total of kinda low reps and see how it goes

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'm plateauing hard on my bench press. I've been doing 4x4 for a couple of months, trying to reach 5 reps. Sometimes I can only do 3. I can't get past 70 pounds on my seated dumbbell overhead press. I've been at 70 for a longass time. It's hard as hell every time. Sometimes I can do 75 but only for a couple of sets.

Try changing your programming. You have to find a way to change the stimulus as your body has stopped adapting (or has reached it's peak in its current shape) at 4x4.
You could try lowering the weight and upping the reps. Do some more volume.

Change that 4x4 from (idk) 225, to 185 8x4. Your volume will go from 900 lbs to 1480 lbs in one set. Do that for a month, take a rest/deload week and then go back to 4x4 and see how it has improved.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try changing your programming. You have to find a way to change the stimulus as your body has stopped adapting (or has reached it's peak in its current shape) at 4x4.
You could try lowering the weight and upping the reps. Do some more volume.

Change that 4x4 from (idk) 225, to 185 8x4. Your volume will go from 900 lbs to 1480 lbs in one set. Do that for a month, take a rest/deload week and then go back to 4x4 and see how it has improved.

Oops I forgot to mention I'm doing 205. I was thinking of doing volume for a bit but wasn't sure how I should go about it. I think I'll try that for a month starting today, thanks.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've been working a lot on my upper and lower pectorals as those are the weak points of my chest. Two months in, I'm seeing results; my pecs are becoming much more defined and prominent, especially the divide between the two. I do a lot of flys on my chest days so I think that helps big-time.

I've jumped from doing 20 lbs (85 total) incline bench-press for about 5-6 reps for my upper chest regiment to a plate in two months. I'm planning to hit 155 or 160 come end-of-year.

Does anyone know what the ratio is for incline bench-press to flat? Incline is harder, right? If I can do a plate for incline, does that mean I can hit around 160 for flat?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
LMFAO. about killt myself on bench because the back of my shirt decied to create a slippery layer from my sweat and it made me slightly slide up as i was going up. RIP RIP.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Brought farmer walks back into my rotation. The trap doms I'm feeling are absolute. I feel them all the way up to peaks. Gonna do them as often as possible as A B A B the intensity from low to high. Using a hex bar as the implement. Also using a strap for the super heavy days (over half my bodyweight on each side), strapless for days where I want to target my grip.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin

Interesting little article.

And it makes sense to me, cardio is for running for long periods of time and the main energy source for long periods of extended same tempo exercise is fat. So it follows that since you need fat for these long duration exercises, when your body adapts it will make sure to store fat for use and it will also become more efficient at burning it, requiring less fat to run a given distance.

High intensity exercises are the way to go if fat loss is your goal, ie. circuits, heavy lifting, martial arts, intervals, sprints, etc. High intensity exercise is relatively short in duration and so will use mostly carbs for energy. Fat won't be stored because your body has no use for it, your body will adapt to performing high intensity short duration activity where fat is rarely used.
Not to mention the other benefits to body composition that will come from high intensity exercise like muscle mass. Fast twitch fibers are most responsible for physique as they do the heavy lifting and so require the largest size. Endurance will make the body adapt by reducing fast twitch fibers and increasing slow twitch fibers which are small but can do a significant amount of work, hence why marathon runners are always so thin and sprinters are always so muscular.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin

Interesting little article.

And it makes sense to me, cardio is for running for long periods of time and the main energy source for long periods of extended same tempo exercise is fat. So it follows that since you need fat for these long duration exercises, when your body adapts it will make sure to store fat for use and it will also become more efficient at burning it, requiring less fat to run a given distance.

High intensity exercises are the way to go if fat loss is your goal, ie. circuits, heavy lifting, martial arts, intervals, sprints, etc. High intensity exercise is relatively short in duration and so will use mostly carbs for energy. Fat won't be stored because your body has no use for it, your body will adapt to performing high intensity short duration activity where fat is rarely used.

I would go ever further to say that fat cutting must be done mostly in the kitchen. At max pace I can row 27-30 calories in a minute, but takes me ~7'45" to row 2 Km for a total ~150 cal. Meanwhile, a 125 g yogurt has ~102 cal, and I can effortlesly eat three of those in a minute, so takes two periods of 8 minutes rowing at max pace (plus the rest between) to "undo" one minute of eating.

Cardio is good for health, but to "burn fat" the best choice is to go on a caloric deficit for a while. No train can correct a negligent diet.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been slow progressing in terms of strength over the years, but I've finally got to the point where I can squat 100 lbs. over my body weight. Feels like a big milestone and I'm looking forward to finally hitting 2x body weight hopefully next year.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. shin splint. i shouldn't have just jumped right back into running since i was gone from it for months lol

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Speaking of long distance running, my body sure has bounced back from running 8-12 miles a day all summer. It sure zaps your strength! I was preparing for a Tough Mudder, by the time I was ready to go I was bench pressing 225 for 5 reps. Now over 2 months later I have regained my lost strength and just benched 225x17 275x8 and 300x4 on my last 3 sets. Say no to prolonged cardio if you want gains, boys.

Edit: Stopped cardio altogether but only cause I HATE the cold. Before it got too cold I was still running 3-5 miles every other day. I regained a good amount of strength doing that. Even more, now that I am doing none and am doing 2 a day weight sessions most of the week. Weight has held steady for a while as I regain lost muscle while shedding fat. At 37 I am in the best shape I've ever been in and I've been lifting since 1999 or 2000.

Last edited:

swimming

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe a dumb question but I timestamped the video above and don't want my body to look like that. What is the terminology for that? Stocky with a lot of mass? I'm a beginner and want to start working out tomorrow and relatively skinny but for some reason my brain keeps telling me if I continue to lift I'd end up like that. I would much rather have a lean/fit body type akin to a soccer player or NBA player - still with muscle definition. To prevent the above do I just go lighter with more reps or do I have nothing to worry about? I don't know if the guy in the video is still considered "lean" bc he has little body fat. Like once you reach a certain point do you just stop lifting lol.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Maybe a dumb question but I timestamped the video above and don't want my body to look like that. What is the terminology for that? Stocky with a lot of mass? I'm a beginner and want to start working out tomorrow and relatively skinny but for some reason my brain keeps telling me if I continue to lift I'd end up like that. I would much rather have a lean/fit body type akin to a soccer player or NBA player - still with muscle definition. To prevent the above do I just go lighter with more reps or do I have nothing to worry about? I don't know if the guy in the video is still considered "lean" bc he has little body fat. Like once you reach a certain point do you just stop lifting lol.

Lol, I don't want to get too big! Listen, that takes many years and hardcore dedication. You will slowly(very slowly) see yourself getting bigger and just adjust by eating less. You have nothing to worry about man, people don't look like that by accident. Whoops! Sorry man, you crack me up!

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I don't want to get too big! Listen, that takes many years and hardcore dedication. You will slowly(very slowly) see yourself getting bigger and just adjust by eating less. You have nothing to worry about man, people don't look like that by accident. Whoops! Sorry man, you crack me up!
Lmfao word. Thanks, gonna go hard starting tomorrow. My only problem throughout the past is I stick to a routine for a month and fizzle out motivation wise.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the same reasoning a lot of women use for not lifting heavy and/or not lifting for anything other than legs and core: "I want to be lean, not a huge muscle mass". As if that would happen overnight lol

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, I hope I didn't come off as an asshole, it's just one of my pet peeves. I kill myself to look close to Jeff Nippard, this doesn't just happen, It's years and years of cutting and bulking if you're doing it naturally. I'm in the best shape of my life and it took me until my late 30's to finally "buckle down" to get close to where I want to be. I started lifting when I was 19. Sure, I've been in pretty great shape off and on but it finally clicked for me this year.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm working out for more than a month now, and I lost 3-4kg. Losing weight was never my goal, but I started to concentrate on losing fat so it's obvious that I'm going to lose a bit of weight, but I think it's a bit too much.

What should I eat to gain a bit of weight, but not fat.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm working out for more than a month now, and I lost 3-4kg. Losing weight was never my goal, but I started to concentrate on losing fat so it's obvious that I'm going to lose a bit of weight, but I think it's a bit too much.

What should I eat to gain a bit of weight, but not fat.

Resistance training, a calorie surplus, and .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass or more. That's it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's been 2.5 months since I lifted a barbell (injury / sickness).

Last night I did literally just that (well, aside from deadlift where obviously you need some plates). Even going in as light as I possibly could, I'm still sore today. lol

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 150
  • Goal: 145
  • Current Training Schedule: Elliptical/run every few days
  • Current Training Equipment Available: Elliptical
  • Comments:
I've been getting in shape and lost like 20 pounds, but my ass is pretty flat. I'm pretty much at my goal and now I just want to get a round ass. What exercises do I do/how often/how many? I googled and stumbled on 100 lunges/100 squats a day, is that the best way to go? I don't really want to go to the gym, so I just want some simple exercises I can do while watching Netflix and shit.