• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some advice. I want to improve my bench press and I'm not sure if I'm doing incorrect form or what. I don't think it's likely as I do workout with a friend from time to time and get him to point out if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'm benching about a plate right now, which is great and all, but my squats are getting close to 3 plates for a one rep max, and I'm doing like 3.5 plates when deadlifting with some strap assistance.

Any other workouts I can do to help train my form or chest muscles? When I do flys I seem to be able to keep up with some other people who lift heavier than I with bench, so any help is appreciated!

Edit: I've recently just started doing the 100 pushup challenge thing to try and help with bench and just because they're easy to do.

I'm confused by the terms you're using. A plate? Do you mean you're benching about 135, squatting 315 and deadlifting 365ish?

If that's the case, something is seriously wrong with your numbers. Either your form isn't dialed in on those other lifts and those aren't your actual numbers, or you have the strangest distribution in strength I've ever heard of.

Regardless, what's your programming like? If you want to get stronger, you should be focusing on reps in the 1-5 range, increasing weight each week.

lets talk about consumption of kale and spinach daily. how do people eat veggie on the daily and not shit all the time. im going to go back and limit greens because this is exhausting.

You know me and how I eat 8-10 cups of vegetables per day. You get used to it. Though when cutting weight, I up the number of vegetables and usually hit the toilet twice a day.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Few things you can try to break the plateau, take your pick!

1. Improve your technique with leg drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWixOpqQsC8
2. Focus on accessory exercises: triceps and shoulders. Do barbell shoulder presses, close grip bench presses, weighted dips.
3. Use supercompensation in your programming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMX9GgIMbxY
4. Add chains to your routine. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-chain-kits (I personally used this to blow past my plateau)
5. Just go heavier, and make sure someone is spotting you.
Thanks, the chains look very interesting. I'd like to add weight to my pull ups and dips so this looks like a great way to do that. The YouTube videos are helpful, and adding more accessories sound like good advice.

I'm confused by the terms you're using. A plate? Do you mean you're benching about 135, squatting 315 and deadlifting 365ish?

If that's the case, something is seriously wrong with your numbers. Either your form isn't dialed in on those other lifts and those aren't your actual numbers, or you have the strangest distribution in strength I've ever heard of.

Regardless, what's your programming like? If you want to get stronger, you should be focusing on reps in the 1-5 range, increasing weight each week.
Sorry, yes. I mean about 135. I thought popular nomenclature was that one plate is 45 pounds. I do a push, pull, legs routine and yesterday was legs. Did 3 sets of 5 at 285 lbs, though that was pretty tough. Plus a couple warm up sets and a drop set at the end.
The strength distribution bothers me, yeah. I've been improving recently but it just seems off that I'm at about a plate now. I'm closely watching my form and trying to do the press properly. I've started rotating it in each time I go, instead of one day a week, to try and work it more.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, the chains look very interesting. I'd like to add weight to my pull ups and dips so this looks like a great way to do that. The YouTube videos are helpful, and adding more accessories sound like good advice.

Sorry, yes. I mean about 135. I thought popular nomenclature was that one plate is 45 pounds. I do a push, pull, legs routine and yesterday was legs. Did 3 sets of 5 at 285 lbs, though that was pretty tough. Plus a couple warm up sets and a drop set at the end.
The strength distribution bothers me, yeah. I've been improving recently but it just seems off that I'm at about a plate now. I'm closely watching my form and trying to do the press properly. I've started rotating it in each time I go, instead of one day a week, to try and work it more.

You're doing the same set/rep scheme for bench? I'd definitely be benching more often than 1x a week at this point. I'd also see if you can bench more weight than before even for 1 extra rep.

I'd advise posting videos of your 3 lifts. It will help us and you determine the validity of your form.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone have advice for toning up your abs? I do a lot of cardio, but it doesn't seem to help much in terms of toning and definition. (at least for my abs)

I'm pretty much at my ideal BMI, so I don't need any help losing weight, or gaining. It's honestly just the toning that I'm struggling with. I know I could just look up "intense ab toning workouts" quickly, but figured I'd check in her first to see if anyone has any routines they'd personally recommend?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I've turned to loving Famers Walk. err if that's what you call them lol. Just one heavy side per walk. took me a good month, but finally moved up to doing 70 one side and controlling my pace and keeping my core tight. but then i try to do some planks and die lol

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have advice for toning up your abs? I do a lot of cardio, but it doesn't seem to help much in terms of toning and definition. (at least for my abs)

I'm pretty much at my ideal BMI, so I don't need any help losing weight, or gaining. It's honestly just the toning that I'm struggling with. I know I could just look up "intense ab toning workouts" quickly, but figured I'd check in her first to see if anyone has any routines they'd personally recommend?

The athlean x youtube channel has a bunch of these.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Doing banded deadlifts and it's so good. Helps me. Because I didn't Realize how much I went forward lol

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Joined a new gym. It's expensive but they have eleiko bars. Hadn't deadlifted in like...a year? Been focusing on trap bar deads. Managed 315x10 with 2-3 in the tank. A good bar makes a difference I guess.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
Howdy!

I've been running PHAT for essentially two years now and am ready to switch to something different to switch things up. Are there any good intermediate PPL programs that you guys like? This routine I found on Reddit looks fun! https://i.imgur.com/42X3YQ6.png

For reference, I'm benching around 235 and squatting around 295.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really loving the switch to full body compound lifts three days a week. PPLx2 I felt I was overtraining, and my joints were getting wrecked.

Yesterday was hypertrophy day, and I did 5x10 for squats,bench, and rows. The off days I com in and stretch/foam roll.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll,

Long story short, I used to be hardcore into lifting/gym about five years ago. Went religiously for three years or so and put on a lot of size. Eventually stopped going for lame reasons. But over the last couple months I have begun going again, but this time to my apartment gym. I've put back on some size and leaned up some, which is great.

I was just wondering, if anyone else is using an apartment gym to get their work outs in and if they follow any routines outlined somewhere online that have worked well for you? Before I used to go to a gym that had dumbbells and barbells that were 200+ lbs and now I'm stuck with no barbells and dumbbells that only go to 50. So, I'm just trying to see if I can find anything online that can maybe help me maximize the options I have at an apartment gym.

Thanks!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll,

Long story short, I used to be hardcore into lifting/gym about five years ago. Went religiously for three years or so and put on a lot of size. Eventually stopped going for lame reasons. But over the last couple months I have begun going again, but this time to my apartment gym. I've put back on some size and leaned up some, which is great.

I was just wondering, if anyone else is using an apartment gym to get their work outs in and if they follow any routines outlined somewhere online that have worked well for you? Before I used to go to a gym that had dumbbells and barbells that were 200+ lbs and now I'm stuck with no barbells and dumbbells that only go to 50. So, I'm just trying to see if I can find anything online that can maybe help me maximize the options I have at an apartment gym.

Thanks!

I always recommend Athlean X, he has a bunch of video's for dumb bells, bands, and body weight exercises. I remember Buff Dudes has a video or two on home workout lifts (meaning no barbell).

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did a bit of searching for some good fitness shoes. And saw a lot of mentions for Reebok Nano 8's and Nike Metcon 4's. Wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that those would be good choices for gym shoes?

DrAg0nBoY

Oct 28, 2017
Fitness Era please help :D. I am looking for some good headphones for the gym. At the moment I have the Anker Soundcore Spirit X, which are good, but the cable is not sticking as I want it and it gets anoying when doing a workout and I have to adjust it.

So I am looking at on ear headphones. I really wanted The Rock headphones, but the price point and the fact that they are not avaliable in my country, makes them a no go. So I was looking at the 50 bucks cheaper JBL version. Are they good? Everywhere I look at I see that they are not that loud and they have no noise cancelation. They are 200 bucks, but I could get them for 150 bucks.

Or are there any other recomendations? Thanks.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Fitness Era please help :D. I am looking for some good headphones for the gym. At the moment I have the Anker Soundcore Spirit X, which are good, but the cable is not sticking as I want it and it gets anoying when doing a workout and I have to adjust it.

So I am looking at on ear headphones. I really wanted The Rock headphones, but the price point and the fact that they are not avaliable in my country, makes them a no go. So I was looking at the 50 bucks cheaper JBL version. Are they good? Everywhere I look at I see that they are not that loud and they have no noise cancelation. They are 200 bucks, but I could get them for 150 bucks.

I got these https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...633982&s=gateway&sprefix=seinh,aps,156&sr=8-4

I love them. Comfy, noise cancelling, loud, 20 hour battery life, folds for easier portability.

Feb 26, 2019
I did a bit of searching for some good fitness shoes. And saw a lot of mentions for Reebok Nano 8's and Nike Metcon 4's. Wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that those would be good choices for gym shoes?
I wear the Metcon 4's when I'm deadlifting or squatting and I find that I am much more comfortable than when I used to just wear Chucks. They've got the stiff flat sole but there's also some support that keeps me from feeling as worn out. The cost is a bit steep, but if you look on zappos you can find some styles on sale pretty much all the time I think.

I bought the JBL versions of the Rock headphones and they work well. Great signal strength on the bluetooth, and I haven't had any issues with the battery life. Because the cups sit on your ears and not over they definitely took me some time to get used to my ears being a bit squinched up. Never caused me pain or anything but I go between my airpods and those and so it was a process to be able to wear them the whole time without having to take a little break.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Hello Dudes!

I am doing Starting Strength after a 2 year of layoff.

This has been my progress.

p.jpeg

I recorded my Deadlift last workout. Is anybody up for form critique???

Thanks

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Up to 195 on supposedly maintenance calories. Hitting all muscles 4+ times a week. I've never been this big and lean. Feels great.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried finding the discord link via reply/quote, no dice. I'm new and considering a major major lifestyle change and know I have some questions and will need some help.

Oct 30, 2017
Finally switched to kg for my lifts other than deadlift, i won't use my competition bumpers for that lol. Got 4x79kg on OHP and 4x130.5kg on squats. I need more change plates but good god the KG change plates are psycho pricey.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Go find the Alan Thrall video about the 5 step deadlift setup on YouTube. That weight is super light for you but your setup needs a ton of work. Feet closer together, hips higher, arms straight, upper back tighter. Work on getting a tighter setup and you'll be able to lift way more. Good luck!

Yep, the Alan Thrall video helped my deadlift out a lot. It made my lift feel easier because I was using more of my posterior chain, and it resulted in the lift feeling "safer". I'd already injured my back because of bad form a while back. Wish I'd watched that video before it happened.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How do I progress with dips? I can do 3 sets of 10 right now, but where do I go from here?

Bench dips or Roman Chair/ Frame? I'd knock out at least 50 bench dips before adding a weight belt on to standard Roman Chair dips, with weighted progression (on your lap) on those. That's generally how I progress my clients. Nothing will fuck up your shoulder girdle faster than messy weight-belt Roman Chair dips. Bench dips are almost foolproof, however.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Go find the Alan Thrall video about the 5 step deadlift setup on YouTube. That weight is super light for you but your setup needs a ton of work. Feet closer together, hips higher, arms straight, upper back tighter. Work on getting a tighter setup and you'll be able to lift way more. Good luck!
Thank you for your input! I Deadlifted again yesterday and took into consideration most of the stuff you mentioned.

Here it is

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your input! I Deadlifted again yesterday and took into consideration most of the stuff you mentioned.

Here it is

It's a lot better but I would still try to get your hips up higher in your setup. When the weight is sufficiently heavy (relative to your max) the shoulders will be slightly in front of the bar when it breaks the floor. With your hips low like that, your hips will shoot up first putting the bar out in front of you and making you miss or making the lift harder than it needs to be. Keep working on it!

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
It's a lot better but I would still try to get your hips up higher in your setup. When the weight is sufficiently heavy (relative to your max) the shoulders will be slightly in front of the bar when it breaks the floor. With your hips low like that, your hips will shoot up first putting the bar out in front of you and making you miss or making the lift harder than it needs to be. Keep working on it!
All right! thanks!

I still have some 100 pounds of deadlift to go through before I get into my heavy gamut, so I think it's a good time to start pounding down technique.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
My lower body lifts are ludicrously low compared to what my upper body training maxes suggest I should be doing. This is partly a function of lack of familiarity with the lifts and my being super cautious (I want to progress slowly so I can improve my technique before I get up to the bigger weights).

That said, this morning, I squatted 35kg for 30 reps on my AMRAP set (running 5/3/1), which yields a theoretical 1RM of 180kg. This is when my training max is 40kg. Am I effectively wasting my time on squat days right now? Between the core lifts and the accessory work, I'm walking around for days after with sore butt cheeks, so I have to be doing something.

I guess my question is should I be adding weight faster than the recommended 5kg per cycle?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
My lower body lifts are ludicrously low compared to what my upper body training maxes suggest I should be doing. This is partly a function of lack of familiarity with the lifts and my being super cautious (I want to progress slowly so I can improve my technique before I get up to the bigger weights).

That said, this morning, I squatted 35kg for 30 reps on my AMRAP set (running 5/3/1), which yields a theoretical 1RM of 180kg. This is when my training max is 40kg. Am I effectively wasting my time on squat days right now? Between the core lifts and the accessory work, I'm walking around for days after with sore butt cheeks, so I have to be doing something.

I guess my question is should I be adding weight faster than the recommended 5kg per cycle?

35 kg? Are you adding the weight of the bar itself?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Yes :/

Like I said, I wanted to get my technique right and I've only just worked out how to squat safely (I use a sumo stance). I also work out at home, so there's no spotter for me if I fail.

No judgement, I was just wondering because of the 2.5kg plate that you apparently use :) I'm sure the more experienced posters here can give you more pointers, I'm not familiar with AMRAP. I would doubt you gain much strength this way though. Seems more like a hypertrophy routine?

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Yes :/

Like I said, I wanted to get my technique right and I've only just worked out how to squat safely (I use a sumo stance). I also work out at home, so there's no spotter for me if I fail.

Let me understand. You've got a 20 kg bar and you added 35 kg? Or is it 35 kg WITH the bar?

In any case, a 1RM squat of 180 KG is meaningless at that weight (122# max?), because the physical adaptation tthat comes from max repping a 55 kg squat does not translate well into a 1RM.

I learnt to squat, deadlift, bench press and press alone. You can too. All that cautiousness is doing is making you waste time as perfect form is increasingly important as the load goes up, not the other way around. The load is so submaximal, as in I think most people can squat 125 pounds safely, that whatever technique you might be building now, will have to change as you get to 135 and 155 lb squats.

So I say don't be afraid and increase those loads.

You say you are doing 5/3/1, but that calls for 3x5, 3x3 and 1RM loads during the week, not 30 rep squats. Is that the program you are following?

Why the sumo stance?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
No judgement, I was just wondering because of the 2.5kg plate that you apparently use :) I'm sure the more experienced posters here can give you more pointers, I'm not familiar with AMRAP. I would doubt you gain much strength this way though. Seems more like a hypertrophy routine?
It's a 20kg bar with 15kg added. AMRAP = as many reps as possible on the last set.

Let me understand. You've got a 20 kg bar and you added 35 kg? Or is it 35 kg WITH the bar?

In any case, a 1RM squat of 180 KG is meaningless at that weight (122# max?), because the physical adaptation tthat comes from max repping a 55 kg squat does not translate well into a 1RM.

I learnt to squat, deadlift, bench press and press alone. You can too. All that cautiousness is doing is making you waste time as perfect form is increasingly important as the load goes up, not the other way around. The load is so submaximal, as in I think most people can squat 125 pounds safely, that whatever technique you might be building now, will have to change as you get to 135 and 155 lb squats.

So I say don't be afraid and increase those loads.

You say you are doing 5/3/1, but that calls for 3x5, 3x3 and 1RM loads during the week, not 30 rep squats. Is that the program you are following?

Why the sumo stance?
It varies by week on a three week cycle. First week is 5/5/5, second is 3/3/3 and the third is 5/3/1. The weights on each set are an increasing percentage of your training max, which itself is 90% of your 1RM, then you raise the training max and the cycle starts again. On last set each week, you do the prescribed reps (5 or 3 or 1), then push out as many good reps as you can manage on the heaviest weight (AMRAP).

I like it because it's self paced due to the AMRAP sets, but it's clear I started way too low. My max was based on what I managed in a session with a personal trainer when I was learning the movement around a month ago, but he tired me out with cardio and other lifts beforehand, so it's probably not indicative of what I can actually do.

The sumo stance is because I literally cannot get down to parallel in a conventional stance. I have hip flexor issues and very tight hamstrings but can do a full lotus yoga pose with no trouble. For me, it's sumo or nothing, I'm afraid. Same with deadlifts, which again, I'm lifting way too light on.

I'm only a week into the new cycle, but I was surprised at how many reps I was able to push out on a set I should have only managed 7-12 reps on.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I for real? One of the biggest problem I have is that protein taste like shit

HA! You kids don't know how good you have it these days. When I started in 1999 protein powder was so disgusting I had to hold my nose closed and even then I would gag chugging a shake. With milk they taste amazing compared to the old formulas.

Dec 14, 2017
Age and a motorcycle accident eight years ago means I've been hampered in my lifting. My knees especially will sometimes swell and seize up if I overdue squats, etc.

However, I'm just beginning BFR or "kaatsu" training and its allowing me to get some interesting strength results using loads that spare my joints.

Dies anyone else here use this technique?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How did you guys around calculating your macro goals?

5'10 at 200 and have been trying a 1800 calorie per day type of deal. With mostly low carb, high fat and higher protein. I feel full most of the day but even after what I eat I'm at 1500-1600 calories. I'm more worried my deficit might be too severe.

Plus all these calculators tell me different cals for maintaining so I assumed 1800 is an okay place to start. Moderately active doing a simple PPL routine. 1 day off.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How did you guys around calculating your macro goals?

5'10 at 200 and have been trying a 1800 calorie per day type of deal. With mostly low carb, high fat and higher protein. I feel full most of the day but even after what I eat I'm at 1500-1600 calories. I'm more worried my deficit might be too severe.

Plus all these calculators tell me different cals for maintaining so I assumed 1800 is an okay place to start. Moderately active doing a simple PPL routine. 1 day off.

I just did whatever myfitnesspal told me to do, and after weighing myself every morning i would make adjustments from there.

If your losing 2 lbs a week you should probably add a few hundred calories a day, if your not losing weight just subtract 100-200 calories until you do.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just did whatever myfitnesspal told me to do, and after weighing myself every morning i would make adjustments from there.

If your losing 2 lbs a week you should probably add a few hundred calories a day, if your not losing weight just subtract 100-200 calories until you do.

I'll keep that in mind. I've been doing this high fat / high protein / low carb thing at 1800 for only a week so I wanna see how I feel after a month. I'm sure I'll figure out specific adjustments for which macro I react positively to the most by then.