• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

Mar 21, 2018
Can confirm lifting makes it possible to eat a lot. I averaged 3800 calories since September according to my calorie tracking app. I'm only 195 pounds. I can't imagine how much I'd have to eat at 440 pounds like Shaw...

Oct 30, 2017
Can confirm lifting makes it possible to eat a lot. I averaged 3800 calories since September according to my calorie tracking app. I'm only 195 pounds. I can't imagine how much I'd have to eat at 440 pounds like Shaw...
Google says 12 000!

I believe Shaw also says it is the hardest part of lifting. Just eating as much as possible.

Nov 4, 2017
Finally! I have overcame the fear and discovered the pleasures of weighted squatting. My glutes and quads hate me to death now, but at least I have finally unlocked the path to better leg gains! Though, Leg Press machine will forever have a place in my heart.

Mar 21, 2018
I'm doing super low carb for the first time in my life this week. I have no energy, strength or power.
Is that the only way you can achieve a calorie deficit? Sounds pretty terrible.

I'd feel awful if I ate that sort of food. Really doesn't work for me at all.
:( man, that sucks. I, of course, eat healthily but if I were not able to include pizza, ice cream, cookies daily I'd be so sad.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing super low carb for the first time in my life this week. I have no energy, strength or power.
It's always interesting to see the effects that low-carb can have on different people. Some report conditions like you, while others (like me) report more energy than ever before and no real effect on strength.

I recently saw a video on a Japanese fitness channel in which a famous body builder/trainer personality talked about how low-carb can often take up to a month to really work well for Japanese people, since they typically eat a ton of carbs and have a higher density of Prevotella bacteria compared Bacteroides bacteria in their gut. Whereas if this balance is shifted in favor of Bacteroides (and apparently it naturally shifts this way if you continue eating low-carb), then the body works well with a lower amount of carbohydrate intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwwQa3PPkY&t=185s

This could all be pseudo science nonsense. I don't know, but I hadn't heard a lot about how specific types and amounts of gut bacteria could heavily influence an individual's adaptability to a low-carb diet. I'm going to poke around and see if there is much more research on this topic available online.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of food, i can't stress enough how much i love my crock pot.

Chicken, olive oil, chicken broth, and a few frozen packages of your preferred veggies (I use brocolli/carrots/corn/onions) and boom. Can throw in potato's or rice if you want some extra calories. I usually add a bit of sauce at the end to give it a bit more taste, but it makes everything so tender that you don't even need it.

I had been eating dry ass chicken and crunchy ass veggies for years for no reason.