• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
If you train the same muscles in the same way all 7 days, yes.
If you mix it up so that no muscle is trained in the same way more than every 2 or 3 days and you throw in some endurance or flexibility training to aid recovery and mix tihings up, you're probably fine.

Full-body strength training Monday through Friday? Not a good idea.
Full body strength and intense calisthenic conditioning on alternating days Monday through Friday? Not a good idea.
An upper lower strength split done twice a week for a total of four days, with low to medium intensity endurance training the remaining three? Should be fine.

All of this hinges on recovery. Getting lots of sleep, eating lots of food, and minimizing stress is paramount for recovery.

Yeah makes total sense. Today body is telling me to give it a break so I am doing a day of stretching and super light / body weight stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
173lbsx5 on overhead press today. Really felt off today but still got my reps in, even twisted my ankle pretty bad mid session but kept going. New baby is here in 4 days, so definitely will be missing quite a few sessions in the next few months.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
173lbsx5 on overhead press today. Really felt off today but still got my reps in, even twisted my ankle pretty bad mid session but kept going. New baby is here in 4 days, so definitely will be missing quite a few sessions in the next few months.
When people throw out weights in pounds it always throws me off until I do the conversion to kilograms. Well, I just did the conversion.

Wow dude, that's incredible!

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered two 20kg plates, delivery guy shows up on a bicycle. What the fuck. Why on earth would anyone give that to a bicycle delivery.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

That's quite a lot of weight for OHP! congrats... how much do you weigh? My PR on OHP was 155 (I weigh 150).

Today's gym agenda:
- Heavy shoulders with dumb bells
- light hiits for cardio
- abs in between sets

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You guys ever heard of 1.5 Deadlifts? It's where you bring the bar up to your knees, go down, then do a full deadlift rep. My program had me do 3x10 with only 1 minute of rest, i don't think i've ever been so winded from weight lifting, my god.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys ever heard of 1.5 Deadlifts? It's where you bring the bar up to your knees, go down, then do a full deadlift rep. My program had me do 3x10 with only 1 minute of rest, i don't think i've ever been so winded from weight lifting, my god.

Yeah do it with squats as well, go halfway down explode up, go all the way down and go back up and that's one one rep. killer. You often see them in conditioning workouts rather than muscle building workouts.

Oct 30, 2017
That's quite a lot of weight for OHP! congrats... how much do you weigh? My PR on OHP was 155 (I weigh 150).

I haven't weighed myself in a while, probably 240+ at this point, pregnant wife is killing me with cheat food she wants me to eat with her. Baby due Monday tho, so not much of this nonsense left. I'm total dadbod right now, belly but I look super huge and muscular, can't wait to lean out again.

My record on ohp is 200lbsx1, I was near 230ish lbs at the time.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My diet is slowly transitioning to just eating one fuckoff huge chipotle bowl every day as my one meal after I workout at night. In the day I'll have a protein shake, quest bar and a snack with a lot of carbs.

d2ff78a8fd.png

I mean yeah the sodium is really high but I'm getting like 20g of fiber and tons of veggies. Also its delicious.

Whats the science on eating this much protein in a meal these days? Not a big deal? Seemed like there was a lot of conflicting information on how much protein is worth eating in a meal last time I looked into it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My diet is slowly transitioning to just eating one fuckoff huge chipotle bowl every day as my one meal after I workout at night. In the day I'll have a protein shake, quest bar and a snack with a lot of carbs.

d2ff78a8fd.png

I mean yeah the sodium is really high but I'm getting like 20g of fiber and tons of veggies. Also its delicious.

Whats the science on eating this much protein in a meal these days? Not a big deal? Seemed like there was a lot of conflicting information on how much protein is worth eating in a meal last time I looked into it.

I can't wait for the Chipotle commercials with the spootime diet. "I ate chipotle once every day and got ripped!" Featuring you digging into a monster bowl of meat.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I haven't weighed myself in a while, probably 240+ at this point, pregnant wife is killing me with cheat food she wants me to eat with her. Baby due Monday tho, so not much of this nonsense left. I'm total dadbod right now, belly but I look super huge and muscular, can't wait to lean out again.

My record on ohp is 200lbsx1, I was near 230ish lbs at the time.

Gotcha... 200lb is just nuts for ohp to me lol

Best of luck in the next few days!!

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I got a stress fracture in my foot. I do have dumbbells. Does this seated workout look good?

Any other suggestions for anything similar (or different I suppose) with no weight at all on my foot? I just have dumbells and an exercise mat, oh and resistance bands.

Since joining my gym I've had two injuries (not related) and a month long illness, worst decision I've ever made, I've only been twice, it's like it's cursed. Actually now might be a good time to go, make use of all those sitting down machines with a free PT session.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Found another good dessert recipe. (Rice crispies with peanut butter/whey). Once again, the importance of Peanut Butter in these healthier snack alternatives cannot be understated. https://youtu.be/v32J-JhwZdA

Stuff like this has prevented me from having a real cheat meal the last few weeks, which is good because i tend to eat 3000+ calories when i go out to eat, not to mention the $15-$25 bills it results in.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Today's gym agenda:
- moderate chest day (2nd chest day of week) with supersets and focus on upper chest area
- abs, abs abs

Saturday's are always a great day for gym

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Today's gym agenda:
- moderate chest day (2nd chest day of week) with supersets and focus on upper chest area
- abs, abs abs

Saturday's are always a great day for gym

Today and tomorrow consists of nothing but rest, eating and more eating for me. Just made a 8L worth of Tikka Masala, so I'm ready to just eat until I burst 👌👌

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
It's 95 here today, so it was a great day to go to the gym instead of doing anything outside. Tomorrow is an off day, so I'll have to find something else to do when it's 99 😭 Maybe I will go walk on the treadmill for cardio since I can't walk the dogs.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know of any adjustable dumbbells like the ones bowflex makes (where you can very quickly jump between weights) that cost less than $300?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm not liking about body building training is the rest.

My fitness levels have dropped but they are still great, managed to maintain flexibility as well but if I don't take two days rest before doing any other kind of exercise my ability to perform them to where I'd expect are massively affected.

Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys know of any adjustable dumbbells like the ones bowflex makes (where you can very quickly jump between weights) that cost less than $300?

I've had the spin lock adjustable dumbbells that go to 160lbs per hand, the Bowflex 552s and 1090s, power blocks 55s and 90s and currently have the iron master 120lb set.

Easiest to use by far is power blocks when it comes to super sets. They switch weights really fast. Overall feel, I love the iron masters the most. They feel like actual dumbbells and I even got the kettle bell attachment for it too.

Price wise, you get what you pay for. If budget is top priority, I'd just do the spin lock setup, cheapest and works just fine. Changing weights is a PITA and nearly impossible to rest them on your knees. But functionally, they work just fine.

Iron masters are stupid expensive. Bowflex is junk. Handles have tons of plastic, they break all the time and I never once felt confident using them. If I did a lot of super sets, is consider the urethane power blocks, you can still upgrade them to 120lb and they're nice, quickest to adjust as well.

As if right now, I'm very happy with the iron masters I have, I will stick with these to the end, maybe get a cheap pair of power blocks for certain quick functions as well.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, my meals are broken down like this

1/3rd meat (chicken/lean beef)
1/3rd carbs (Rice/Pasta/Potato)
1/3rd vegetables (brocoli/Cauliflower/carrots/etc)

If i wanted to incorporate beans into my diet, what type of substitution should i make? Can beans just replace rice for example?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Right now, my meals are broken down like this

1/3rd meat (chicken/lean beef)
1/3rd carbs (Rice/Pasta/Potato)
1/3rd vegetables (brocoli/Cauliflower/carrots/etc)

If i wanted to incorporate beans into my diet, what type of substitution should i make? Can beans just replace rice for example?

Beans are a protein. They could replace some meat.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I love beans.

Oh, I thought we were having a moment here.

All signs point to it being just a cyclical thing, but I'm always bummed when my weight goes back up a little.

aac87c9a-3bed-470d-97ck57.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So, quick question for the experts here: I started going to the gym two weeks ago. I initially planned going two times a week but it worked so well I'm actually going every other day. I'm thinking about increasing that since I feel pretty good, so maybe go three days in a row, take break for a day, repeat (depending on how things go).
It's that actually a good idea tho? Or is that too much for an out-of-shape guy like myself (I'm not obese but definitely overweight and I haven't really worked out in years).

When I started my membership a trainer created a plan for me and I'm sticking to that, gradually increasing weights/sets etc. ( So hopefully it's not like I'm just not doing enough and that's why I feel good enough to go more often)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So, quick question for the experts here: I started going to the gym two weeks ago. I initially planned going two times a week but it worked so well I'm actually going every other day. I'm thinking about increasing that since I feel pretty good, so maybe go three days in a row, take break for a day, repeat (depending on how things go).
It's that actually a good idea tho? Or is that too much for an out-of-shape guy like myself (I'm not obese but definitely overweight and I haven't really worked out in years).

When I started my membership a trainer created a plan for me and I'm sticking to that, gradually increasing weights/sets etc. ( So hopefully it's not like I'm just not doing enough and that's why I feel good enough to go more often)

If you're doing what the trainer says you should be fine, new lifters tend to see gains regardless of what type of program they're on.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not an expert but I really depends on how you handle rest, what you are doing at the gym and how intense you are going and how much you are squeezing out of each exercise.

Did you use to workout in a similar method in the past or is it new to you? Are you just working out to a simple plan or adhering to a system? Do you have a good mind-muscle connection on each exercise? Are you going close to failure or have energy in the tank at the end of sets?

Good thing about being a beginner or coming back to exercise from a prolonged break is that as long as you are consistently working out and getting the rest your body needs you will be progressing. But some of the above can drastically change how much rest you need.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not an expert but I really depends on how you handle rest, what you are doing at the gym and how intense you are going and how much you are squeezing out of each exercise.

Did you use to workout in a similar method in the past or is it new to you? Are you just working out to a simple plan or adhering to a system? Do you have a good mind-muscle connection on each exercise?
It's a mixture of endurance (running) and different exercises for arms and legs.
This is pretty much new to me, I never really went to a gym before. I'm not quite sure what you mean with "simple plan or system", same with mind-muscle connection. The trainer came up with a training-plan for me and I do just that. As I said, this is pretty new to me.

Are you going close to failure or have energy in the tank at the end of sets?
It depends on the exercise.
After a leg exercise I feel pretty good, arms not so much atm. I've increased the weights on the different leg exercises but am to complete the arm exercises.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing 5/3/1 and I just switched from a 4 day routine spread over 3 days a week to a proper 3 day a week routine with two main lifts each day rather than one. I thought I was ready for the increased volume.

Yeah. I was wrong.

I did 11 sets total (including warm ups) of both squat and bench. By the time I got to accessories, I was completely spent. Where normally, I can bust out 5x20 pushups like it's nothing, I was barely doing 10 by the fifth set. I even switched to unweighted lunges because I wouldn't have been able to finish otherwise. Chin-ups, well, I got to 50 total, but only just.

It's not even the most high volume 5/3/1 routine out there. I've got a long way to go before I'm ready for something like Boring But Big.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mixture of endurance (running) and different exercises for arms and legs.
This is pretty much new to me, I never really went to a gym before. I'm not quite sure what you mean with "simple plan or system", same with mind-muscle connection. The trainer came up with a training-plan for me and I do just that. As I said, this is pretty new to me.

It depends on the exercise.
After a leg exercise I feel pretty good, arms not so much atm. I've increased the weights on the different leg exercises but am to complete the arm exercises.

A simple plan would be "when you workout you do X" and that's the same every time. A system is when you have set days for different exercises. Usually the system will set your rest days and your active days and developed around trying to get optimal results for your goals, in body building these are known as splits.

Mind-muscle connection is when you get full activation of the target muscle. This is something you should be wanting to focus on once your form is solid and you are comfortable with the exercise. For an example; when you are doing a bench press it's very common for a beginner to use their back and shoulders just as much as their chest, that's an exercise where you want as much chest activation as possible, when you develop the connection the chest is the primary muscle activated and will fatigue before the other muscle groups, the feeling is also very distinct.

I'd say focus on what your trainer has set you and do a bit of research on each exercise to learn the ins and outs of how to be as good as you can with them. If you can handle working out more frequently go for it but if you start to fatigue, feel heavy in the morning, or progress starts to slow down or you go backwards you need to reduce the frequency. Part of working out is finding what works best for you and experimenting.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have bin going to the Gym for half a year, and i think i'm a slow gainer, it takes me forever to build muscles... but my biggest issue is my stomach. I alway had some fett stored there, even as a child, and trying to get it rid of it, but it's just not going away xD.

I have also been careful with my diet, and lost a few kilograms, now at 62kg, and my height is 179cm.

Does someone else had problems like that, and can give some advice? :)

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have bin going to the Gym for half a year, and i think i'm a slow gainer, it takes me forever to build muscles... but my biggest issue is my stomach. I alway had some fett stored there, even as a child, and trying to get it rid of it, but it's just not going away xD.

I have also been careful with my diet, and lost a few kilograms, now at 62kg, and my height is 179cm.

Does someone else had problems like that, and can give some advice? :)

If you have lost weight and you are lifting you aren't eating enough. It's pretty much impossible unless very overweight (which is a short lived effect) or on something to gain muscle and lose fat.

You don't need to eat massive amounts just ensure you are eating over your maintenance calories and accept that you will be gaining fat.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you have lost weight and you are lifting you aren't eating enough. It's pretty much impossible unless very overweight (which is a short lived effect) or on something to gain muscle and lose fat.

You don't need to eat massive amounts just ensure you are eating over your maintenance calories and accept that you will be gaining fat.

Hmm, i see, will try to eat more and see if anything changes.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Yesterday: heavy lats, upper back, calves and abs
Today: heavy chest, light triceps and abs

Starting to see results from stricter diet, V cut abs barely showing... barely... need to push

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday: heavy lats, upper back, calves and abs
Today: heavy chest, light triceps and abs

Starting to see results from stricter diet, V cut abs barely showing... barely... need to push
id give your abs at least a day's rest. imagine a muscle being ripped apart and beginning to build back up stronger afterwards.
Abs need at least a day to recover. of most muscles, they recover the fastest, but nonetheless, need time to recover and get stronger

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I only started doing deadlifts again recently so I am still working back to heavy weights, but I just watched a gym fail video and am freaked out about doing mixed grip again at some point. So many torn biceps 😬

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I only started doing deadlifts again recently so I am still working back to heavy weights, but I just watched a gym fail video and am freaked out about doing mixed grip again at some point. So many torn biceps 😬
i do mix grip. i think you wont have to worry at least until you get beyond 2-2.5x+ BW

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
But are they better than decline leg press fail videos?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get hurt during those, just look dumb.

The one that always makes me wince is the girl who gets a squat wrapped around her ponytail. Anytime I see a woman squatting with a ponytail I'm afraid I'm about to witness a death.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Progress pics! 3 1/2 years in, although I've been in and out of the gym for most of my adult life (I'm 38). Finally getting to a place where I wanna be 💪🏻