• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of magnesium supplements do you take and, if any, why?

I have been taking a magnesium supplement that is oxide, citrate, and aspartate. I should have done my research. It does work to some extent. Actually helped a lot tbh, though I do get some cramps still it is very rare compared to before. But apparently oxide is just cheap and low absorptive. Citrate mostly absorpbs into you disgestive tract and used for laxative purposes. Aspartate is apparently chelated and highly bioavailable but is likely not enough in the dose I take since it is the last ingredient listed.

Apparently for energy and cramps, magnesium malate and orotate are best. And glycinate for relaxation and sleep.

So I am aiming for cramps originally, but the energy benefits will definitely be a positive so I guess I need magnesium malate + orotate. I usually do not have sleep issues though.

edit:
I went for magnesium malate. 425mg a dose.

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of magnesium supplements do you take and, if any, why?

I have been taking a magnesium supplement that is oxide, citrate, and aspartate. I should have done my research. It does work to some extent. Actually helped a lot tbh, though I do get some cramps still it is very rare compared to before. But apparently oxide is just cheap and low absorptive. Citrate mostly absorpbs into you disgestive tract and used for laxative purposes. Aspartate is apparently chelated and highly bioavailable but is likely not enough in the dose I take since it is the last ingredient listed.

Apparently for energy and cramps, magnesium malate and orotate are best. And glycinate for relaxation and sleep.

So I am aiming for cramps originally, but the energy benefits will definitely be a positive so I guess I need magnesium malate + orotate. I usually do not have sleep issues though.

edit:
I went for magnesium malate. 425mg a dose.
None, like must supplement there really no reason to take them unless a you have a medical reason

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
Today I've tried r/bodyweightfitness's Recommended Routine for the first time and as expected I smoked all the leg based exercises while struggling on the arm based ones, and there were two parts that threatened injury every time i tried it:
  • While trying to do pull-ups, my palm would get callouses extremely quickly (as in right after doing 1 pull-up) bc of how abrasive the bar in my gym is which completely wrecked the exercise in the later reps as I had to take a abreak after every single pull-up to let my hands heal a bit. Not to mention that because the bar in my gym is somehow short enough for me to reach it without jumping I had to lift my leg up to simulate deadhang which made it even harder bc gravity is pulling down the leg too
  • While doing dips, the pressure on my palm joints would mount extremely quickly to the point where in the later reps I'd also have to take a break after doing every single one to let my palm heal
While the first issue can be solved by moving to a better gym (that actually has more than 1 dumbbell), do you guys have any tips on how to deal with the second problem?

Oct 25, 2017
Today I've tried r/bodyweightfitness's Recommended Routine for the first time and as expected I smoked all the leg based exercises while struggling on the arm based ones, and there were two parts that threatened injury every time i tried it:
  • While trying to do pull-ups, my palm would get callouses extremely quickly (as in right after doing 1 pull-up) bc of how abrasive the bar in my gym is which completely wrecked the exercise in the later reps as I had to take a abreak after every single pull-up to let my hands heal a bit. Not to mention that because the bar in my gym is somehow short enough for me to reach it without jumping I had to lift my leg up to simulate deadhang which made it even harder bc gravity is pulling down the leg too
  • While doing dips, the pressure on my palm joints would mount extremely quickly to the point where in the later reps I'd also have to take a break after doing every single one to let my palm heal
While the first issue can be solved by moving to a better gym (that actually has more than 1 dumbbell), do you guys have any tips on how to deal with the second problem?

I use a grip/hand position that was recommended on the BWF reddit that puts more emphasis on fingers than palm. Try different grips and see what feels good for you. Dips, on the other hand, is definitely a bit more mid/lower palm. At first that was painful for me as well but as I have progressed, I do not feel the pain as much as before. I actually do not notice it at all now.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
I tried
I use a grip/hand position that was recommended on the BWF reddit that puts more emphasis on fingers than palm. Try different grips and see what feels good for you. Dips, on the other hand, is definitely a bit more mid/lower palm. At first that was painful for me as well but as I have progressed, I do not feel the pain as much as before. I actually do not notice it at all now.
I tried that grip actually, it felt very inefficient at actually transfering power from the arm onto lift compared to the usual way which made even lifting harder

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Pull-ups: finger gripping is the right answer. Just keep doing it and you will get better. Legs up shouldn't really make a huge difference. Just try to keep your center of gravity towards the middle of your body.

Dips: rotate your wrist internally or externally; whichever is more comfortable.

Oct 25, 2017
Today is leg day. Today is also 100 days in a row I've gone to the gym. Nothing overtrained. I purposely rest up different parts each day to ensure that and refuse to work out things multiple days in a row so I don't fall into that. Progressive increases each week as well since I've started.

Pretty proud of myself and pretty happy how far I've changed in appearance.

Feb 26, 2019
Deadlifts came around again tonight and this time I made a point to spend a good amount of time stretching. And what do you know, the hammies felt great the whole way through! Go figure

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to use mixed grip. You could also chalk up or learn hook grip. I don't personally advocate straps since they aren't legal in powerlifting, but if you don't care then you could use those either.

I would also make sure you are gripping the bar correctly. You should not be gripping with your palm.

To train grip I just deadlift more. Sometimes I will do 5-10s holds at the top of the deadlift.
Hey I just wanna say that tip with lowering the grip position really helped and I whooped it. Onwards and upwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any good lactose-free protein shake recipes, preferably in the 700-1000 cal range? About to buy a Vitamix and I'm trying to sift through the bajillion shake recipes online.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
What do you guys think of chocolate milk? I heard that they're less healthy than regular milk bc of the chocolate adding more sugar into the mix

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
What do you guys think of chocolate milk? I heard that they're less healthy than regular milk bc of the chocolate adding more sugar into the mix

Studies done by the milk industry point to chocolate milk being great for muscle recovery post intense activity due to it having the "optimal" balance of protein and carbs. Keep in mind that these studies were done with athletes and after an hour of sustained activity.

Most chocolate milks are pretty high in carbs, so it is not appropriate for anyone on a low carb diet.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
Pull-ups: finger gripping is the right answer. Just keep doing it and you will get better. Legs up shouldn't really make a huge difference. Just try to keep your center of gravity towards the middle of your body.

Dips: rotate your wrist internally or externally; whichever is more comfortable.
Hey there, so I've just gottem home from the cinema and right now its like 10pm here, technically I should just go to sleep and not exercise today bc of rest day, but I did such a botched job with doing the RR (terrible form on every arm related exercise and over-rest galore bc of looking up how to do the exercises) yesterday it felt as if it didn't count, so do you think I should redo the RR today or not

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there, so I've just gottem home from the cinema and right now its like 10pm here, technically I should just go to sleep and not exercise today bc of rest day, but I did such a botched job with doing the RR (terrible form on every arm related exercise and over-rest galore bc of looking up how to do the exercises) yesterday it felt as if it didn't count, so do you think I should redo the RR today or not
I have no idea what an RR is.

But it seems kind of late and I'd you wouldn't normally work out today then I'm sure it can wait until tomorrow.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
I have no idea what an RR is.

But it seems kind of late and I'd you wouldn't normally work out today then I'm sure it can wait until tomorrow.
Oops, RR is r/bodyweightfitness's Reccomended Routine.

I'm asking bc I don't have any idea on how to construct a proper routine yet, the Reccomended Routine says to do it once every two days, but did it really count when the exersice was so botched

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So goodlife dude tries to sign me up for personal training by giving me an assessment. I back out because the pricing is insane but he wastes an hour trying to Use my own words against me to make me sign up

Anyways I do wish I had a Personal Trainer but Im trying my best to use the internet. My main concerns are doing exercises properly, including posture and knowing what to do every day to get into a routine.

i have no real routine. I will go to the gym 3 times minimum a week and usually do upper body one day and lower body the other.

i run for an hour

i lift weights/use machines.

apparently i shouldnt be doing this because im just reducing my muscle gains thru running. Im 190 and trying to drop back down to 160 while trying to get muscles

i know running will get me back down to 160 because thats what i did before. But should i quit running and focusing on weight lifting? Will it help me lose weight better than running?

Also, he told me not to use the workout machines and to get into freeweights. Do i need to do this?

i use machines that target:

triceps, biceps, calf muscles, muscles in inner thigh and outer thigh, abs, chest, shoulders, back...basically trying to hit all the machines that i assume would help me

He also says my hips are tight. How do I go about loosening them? Or is this just something he was saying to get me to sign up?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
So goodlife dude tries to sign me up for personal training by giving me an assessment. I back out because the pricing is insane but he wastes an hour trying to Use my own words against me to make me sign up

Anyways I do wish I had a Personal Trainer but Im trying my best to use the internet. My main concerns are doing exercises properly, including posture and knowing what to do every day to get into a routine.

i have no real routine. I will go to the gym 3 times minimum a week and usually do upper body one day and lower body the other.

i run for an hour

i lift weights/use machines.

apparently i shouldnt be doing this because im just reducing my muscle gains thru running. Im 190 and trying to drop back down to 160 while trying to get muscles

i know running will get me back down to 160 because thats what i did before. But should i quit running and focusing on weight lifting? Will it help me lose weight better than running?

Also, he told me not to use the workout machines and to get into freeweights. Do i need to do this?

i use machines that target:

triceps, biceps, calf muscles, muscles in inner thigh and outer thigh, abs, chest, shoulders, back...basically trying to hit all the machines that i assume would help me

He also says my hips are tight. How do I go about loosening them? Or is this just something he was saying to get me to sign up?
I'll try to go through point by point:

- if you can get a trainer for one session, it might be worth it. However, it is pretty hard to find a good one and they will try to upsell on more sessions (can't blame them).

- gaining muscle while losing weight is pretty difficult, especially losing 30lbs. Running doesn't necessarily steal your gains but it can zap your energy if your main goal is getting stronger.

- running doesn't really help you lose weight. You probably burn between 100-150 calories for running a mile. Might as well just not eat that extra cookie, it will save you time and money. Running had other benefits but you didn't mention any of them in your post.

- I am biased towards free weights because I train powerlifting. Free weights will train more muscles than any one machine. They have a time and a place but for generally free weights will give you more bang for your buck.

- most people have tight hip muscles. I don't think most personal trainers are actually qualified to deal with it beyond the basics.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to go through point by point:

- if you can get a trainer for one session, it might be worth it. However, it is pretty hard to find a good one and they will try to upsell on more sessions (can't blame them).

- gaining muscle while losing weight is pretty difficult, especially losing 30lbs. Running doesn't necessarily steal your gains but it can zap your energy if your main goal is getting stronger.

- running doesn't really help you lose weight. You probably burn between 100-150 calories for running a mile. Might as well just not eat that extra cookie, it will save you time and money. Running had other benefits but you didn't mention any of them in your post.

- I am biased towards free weights because I train powerlifting. Free weights will train more muscles than any one machine. They have a time and a place but for generally free weights will give you more bang for your buck.

- most people have tight hip muscles. I don't think most personal trainers are actually qualified to deal with it beyond the basics.
Hm. Through running and eating right i lose 40 pounds. Maybe the eating was the significant difference

so i guess ill stick to weightlifting but what does that mean for eating? Shouldnt i eat more? I need 1900 or so calories to maintain my weight but shouldnt i eat more if i lift?

and is there a significant loss of muscle using machines? I will use dumbbells, squats, more often. But Im too afraid to try bench pressing, the power lifting, etc

id be afraid of hurting myself or not knowing what to do

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. Through running and eating right i lose 40 pounds. Maybe the eating was the significant difference

so i guess ill stick to weightlifting but what does that mean for eating? Shouldnt i eat more? I need 1900 or so calories to maintain my weight but shouldnt i eat more if i lift?

and is there a significant loss of muscle using machines? I will use dumbbells, squats, more often. But Im too afraid to try bench pressing, the power lifting, etc

Eat less to lose weight. Don't bother factoring in your exercise for calories. Try to eat lots of protein.

You won't lose muscle by using machines. It's just not the most efficient way to train for general fitness.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Eat less to lose weight. Don't bother factoring in your exercise for calories. Try to eat lots of protein.

You won't lose muscle by using machines. It's just not the most efficient way to train for general fitness.
Thanks
How is this for a plan:

-eat less
-have more protein

-use dumbbells more than machines
-dont do cardio

ideally, i lose weight and put on muscle yes?

will i lose my belly fat this way? Why do some muscley dudes have big muscle bellies

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks
How is this for a plan:

-eat less
-have more protein

-use dumbbells more than machines
-dont do cardio

ideally, i lose weight and put on muscle yes?

will i lose my belly fat this way? Why do some muscley dudes have big muscle bellies
You don't have to stop your cardio if you don't want to.

I would also get on some sort of real routine that utilizes equipment you feel comfortable using. You can Google around and someone else can help you with that.

Fat hangs on everyone a little bit differently. Mine centers around my belly. It's just genetics. Some more muscular people may have large ab muscles that can make them *look* fatter sometimes. Tight muscles can also fuck up your posture and make your belly stick out a little more.

Oct 28, 2017

I severely doubt you're at 1900 calories for maintenance. Most dudes are going to range from 2-2.5k. If you're consuming 1900, you're likely at a deficit already.

Exercise barely impacts weight loss aside from a few hundred calories either way. Eat less to lose weight, that's all there is to it.

I would learn to bench too. It's pretty important. If you're afraid of dropping the bar, set up in a power rack with safety bars.

And strongmen have big stomachs because they eat a shit ton of food. There's no reason for them to slim down because they're only going to lose strength. That, and their abs are often the size of beer cans because they work their cores so hard.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I severely doubt you're at 1900 calories for maintenance. Most dudes are going to range from 2-2.5k. If you're consuming 1900, you're likely at a deficit already.

Exercise barely impacts weight loss aside from a few hundred calories either way. Eat less to lose weight, that's all there is to it.

I would learn to bench too. It's pretty important. If you're afraid of dropping the bar, set up in a power rack with safety bars.

And strongmen have big stomachs because they eat a shit ton of food. There's no reason for them to slim down because they're only going to lose strength. That, and their abs are often the size of beer cans because they work their cores so hard.
But shouldnt i eat more to keep up with weightlifting? Or is that just protein?

Oct 28, 2017
But shouldnt i eat more to keep up with weightlifting? Or is that just protein?

This is entirely dependent on how overweight you are. I don't know how tall you are so I have no idea whether you are significantly overweight for your height. If you are just a 'skinny fat' guy, you should probably just eat in a slight surplus and go for body recomposition. However, it does sound as if you are somewhat overweight given the amount that you want to cut. In the latter case, you should eat at a small deficit and consume enough protein (conventional bro wisdom says 2 grams for every kg of bodyweight) while you get down a target weight, then lean bulk again to build more muscle.

I'm going to tell you now that you'll see the best results on a proper beginner program which incorporates the basic compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press) - starting strength or something like that. Isolation work on machines should really only play second fiddle. The reasoning is pretty simple. Compound lifts work your entire body and place greater stress on your muscles due to the fact that you have to stabilise the free weights. Machines are only going to work one muscle group at a time.

Edit: It is absolutely worth getting a trainer for a session or two just to learn the proper form for the main lifts.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This is entirely dependent on how overweight you are. I don't know how tall you are so I have no idea whether you are significantly overweight for your height. If you are just a 'skinny fat' guy, you should probably just eat in a slight surplus and go for body recomposition. However, it does sound as if you are somewhat overweight given the amount that you want to cut. In the latter case, you should eat at a small deficit and consume enough protein (conventional bro wisdom says 2 grams for every kg of bodyweight) while you get down a target weight, then lean bulk again to build more muscle.

I'm going to tell you now that you'll see the best results on a proper beginner program which incorporates the basic compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press) - starting strength or something like that. Isolation work on machines should really only play second fiddle. The reasoning is pretty simple. Compound lifts work your entire body and place greater stress on your muscles due to the fact that you have to stabilise the free weights. Machines are only going to work one muscle group at a time.

Edit: It is absolutely worth getting a trainer for a session or two just to learn the proper form for the main lifts.
Can I get a trainer for just 1-2 sessions? Ill ask

Im 5'7 1/2.
192 pounds

Im 28 now. When I was around 20 or so, I went from 200 down to 160 by just running every day for hours and eating less.

I am significantly overweight. I want to go back to what I used to be and just look decent by looking stronger :(

So I think Ill eat less, try to lose the weight through lifting, and put on the muscle too?

I just dont feel right not running, but I dont want to lose any gains Id be getting through weights

Oct 28, 2017
Can I get a trainer for just 1-2 sessions? Ill ask

Im 5'7 1/2.
192 pounds

Im 28 now. When I was around 20 or so, I went from 200 down to 160 by just running every day for hours and eating less.

I am significantly overweight. I want to go back to what I used to be and just look decent by looking stronger :(

So I think Ill eat less, try to lose the weight through lifting, and put on the muscle too?

I just dont feel right not running, but I dont want to lose any gains Id be getting through weights

At that weight and that height, you should cut - i.e. calculate a calorie deficit and stick to it but keep your protein intake up.

You can run. There's no reason why you can't do it in addition to weight training and it's great for your heart. You won't lose 'gains' by running and your priority should be weight loss anyway.

Weight training won't directly cause you to lose much weight. Additional muscle may slightly increase your resting caloric usage but that's about it. Weight loss is all diet and that's going to be the hardest part. However, you should absolutely prioritise weight loss until you are within a healthy weight range which, for your height, is going to be around 125-160.

As for the trainer, often you can get one for a couple of sessions. Large gyms will also frequently give you one free session to set up a program but that just depends on what happens to be near you.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hey fitness era, I've got a lifeguard certification class coming up in about 20 days and was wondering if, besides swimming, there was another way to help prepare for the test.

I'll swim as much as I can but won't be able to as much as I'd like so I'm looking for anything else that would be beneficial.

Thanks.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
About done losing weight and gonna try adding lean muscle, but also plan on doing some hiit in there.

My question is, if I lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday, when should I do the HIIT? Also I plan on doing it on the elliptical (bad knees), is the elliptical suitable for hiit or should I get a bike?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
About done losing weight and gonna try adding lean muscle, but also plan on doing some hiit in there.

My question is, if I lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday, when should I do the HIIT? Also I plan on doing it on the elliptical (bad knees), is the elliptical suitable for hiit or should I get a bike?

HIIT is suppose to be high intensity, meaning 10ish seconds of work with 50-60 seconds of rest, something like sprints of sled pushing/dragging.

You can do it whenever you want, but a rest day would be when i do it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

If you want to lose weight just focus on that for now. Calorie deficit will get you down eventually. It's a long term thing, it may take a while but don't get discouraged. Plus since you'll be doing resistance work you will be adding muscle mass so a scale may not show any progress. However, you have just replaced the fat lost through the deficit with muscle mass.

Do resistance work and cardio. The cardio isn't going to hurt you, that's a bro science myth. Do the cardio after the resistance work so you are not pre-fatigued. If you're already tired going into resistance work you won't lift as much. Pretty simple logic.

The resistance work will give you muscle mass, so once you reach your weight loss goal you'll see it. And then eat enough calories and adjust your diet/lifestyle to maintain this weight, while progressively overloading your exercises. Which is a fancy way of saying increase the difficulty by adjusting a variable such as weight, time under tension, reps, sets, total volume, etc.

Once you have stuck with this bodyweight for a couple months and gotten comfortable (you should still be able to progress in strength with a good program), then I would say look into increasing calories (you don't want to fall back into your old habits). At this point you have probably plateau'd in strength so the added calories will help create more muscle.
Muscle needs:
- material (protein)
- energy to build (carbs/fats)
- stimulus (a reason to grow)

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
HIIT is suppose to be high intensity, meaning 10ish seconds of work with 50-60 seconds of rest, something like sprints of sled pushing/dragging.

You can do it whenever you want, but a rest day would be when i do it.

Really? Most routines I've read say Sprint for a minute then a rest period, not 10 seconds.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
9am gym session. went in with a protein bar and pre.

got light headed doing back off sets so i just went and did bicep so i don't have to go up and down.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my DEXA scan results from this morning.

I am now at 16.1% body fat :)
Back on August 8th (less than 3 months ago), I was 25% body fat.

So in summary since August 8th..

- I've gone from 25% -> 16.1% body fat
- I've lost 15.1 lbs of fat tissue
- I've gained 7.2 lbs of lean muscle tissue
- MY VISCERAL FAT IS ZERO! (Fat surrounding my organs)

Results are here:

75429535_10157254971965399_91009412109434880_n.jpg

73278637_10157254972010399_3046539209222389760_n.jpg

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Got my DEXA scan results from this morning.

I am now at 16.1% body fat :)
Back on August 8th (less than 3 months ago), I was 25% body fat.

So in summary since August 8th..

- I've gone from 25% -> 16.1% body fat
- I've lost 15.1 lbs of fat tissue
- I've gained 7.2 lbs of lean muscle tissue
- MY VISCERAL FAT IS ZERO! (Fat surrounding my organs)

Results are here:
Good job on getting visceral fat to 0. What's your BF goal before you start gaining?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

The body continues to burn calories for many hours after a workout, especially cardio.