• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hey peeps. Long time no post.

So I'm definitely getting nearer to being recovered from my smashed up hip socket.

I'm now walking without a crutch, and whilst I still have to concentrate to make sure I engage the proper muscles, I can already walk fairly reasonable distances. I've now done as much as 15,000 steps in a day and although I felt a bit sore after, I didn't feel like I'd done any damage. Flexibility is improving a bit, but I still can't do a lot of the yoga poses that I used to be able to do. Hard to say if that's permanent (because of damage / screws), or if it's just tight muscles causing it.

I have one more consultant appointment to come, where hopefully they'll tell me that I can get back to normal life / exercise. Even better news would be that the (previously unhealed) fracture would start knitting... but who knows if that'll be the case. Will just keep at it with the gym / turbo work and try to stay on the right side of too much vs too little. I'm still not allowed to deadlift / squat with weight, which is a bit frustrating as they were the only lifts I was ever half good at!

This week is the first time since the accident that I've been able to do all 7 days without a rest day (which is how I used to train)... and whilst I'm quite sore, I'm also really happy to have been able to do it (plus, I have a rest week next week so I can recover).

Vaguely related to my recovery... do we have any vegans in here? I know we had a proper monster at the old place, but I can't remember if he came over or not. I'd like to start adding more vegan food into my diet, and I'm struggling to find particularly good recipes, especially for food with a decent amount of protein per total calorie load.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
So after a few years in a gluttonous, alcohol-fueled depression, I have finally hauled my ass out of the pit and have started hitting the gym regularly again. Ten years ago I was around 190 and did Tough Mudders and half-marathons. Now I'm 260 and just fucking suck at things. I'm slowly easing back into lifting, and I started using that Strong app which is pretty good for me. I'm so weak compared to what I used to do, but my muscles are really responding.

But cardio-wise, I'm kind of at a loss. I don't want to jog yet, as I'm worried about my lower back. I've always had lower back issues, even when I was fit. So I've been eyeing the recumbent bikes to help my back not murder me while I get back into shape, but I've never used them before, and I ever really only see senior citizens on them. Are they actually effective for cardio? I was hoping I could do HIIT with them (30 sec on, 90 sec off) but I don't want to waste time doing it on the recumbent if it won't actually benefit me.

Anyone have any pointers/recs for my bloated, flabby body's cardio needs?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
So after a few years in a gluttonous, alcohol-fueled depression, I have finally hauled my ass out of the pit and have started hitting the gym regularly again. Ten years ago I was around 190 and did Tough Mudders and half-marathons. Now I'm 260 and just fucking suck at things. I'm slowly easing back into lifting, and I started using that Strong app which is pretty good for me. I'm so weak compared to what I used to do, but my muscles are really responding.

But cardio-wise, I'm kind of at a loss. I don't want to jog yet, as I'm worried about my lower back. I've always had lower back issues, even when I was fit. So I've been eyeing the recumbent bikes to help my back not murder me while I get back into shape, but I've never used them before, and I ever really only see senior citizens on them. Are they actually effective for cardio? I was hoping I could do HIIT with them (30 sec on, 90 sec off) but I don't want to waste time doing it on the recumbent if it won't actually benefit me.

Yes, recumbent bikes are effective. Any continuous movement is. When you feel up to it, you can also do low impact machines that engage more muscles in your body like the elliptical or the stair climber.

Indoor rowers or ergometer are also pretty incredible! When the exercise is properly executed, they engage almost every single muscle.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There are these two (buffed) dudes in my gym mostly training together, and talking. I don't like 'em. One of them recently, as a joke, asked one of the people who work there if they could install a curtain so they won't have to look at the others.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

Make sure your posture on the bike is good. The sitting position is usually not good for low back pain.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Hey peeps. Long time no post.

Vaguely related to my recovery... do we have any vegans in here? I know we had a proper monster at the old place, but I can't remember if he came over or not. I'd like to start adding more vegan food into my diet, and I'm struggling to find particularly good recipes, especially for food with a decent amount of protein per total calorie load.
i always meant to get some vital wheat gluten. good source of protein if youre not gluten intolerant. its like tofu where its bland af by itself but it might have better texture than tofu when cook. i haven't tried but i plan to order some on amazon.

There are these two (buffed) dudes in my gym mostly training together, and talking. I don't like 'em. One of them recently, as a joke, asked one of the people who work there if they could install a curtain so they won't have to look at the others.
they sound like douches but at the same time im pretty sure they give each other compliment handjobs as well

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

And I hope they replied, "No, but you can always build your own gym!"

they sound like douches but at the same time im pretty sure they give each other compliment handjobs as well

The real reason they want the curtain is so they don't disturb anyone during their OnlyFans taping sessions.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
i always meant to get some vital wheat gluten. good source of protein if youre not gluten intolerant. its like tofu where its bland af by itself but it might have better texture than tofu when cook. i haven't tried but i plan to order some on amazon.
Trying mostly to do it without specific proteins powder etc. Ideally I want to see just how much protein I can get from whole foods alone.

And I hope they replied, "No, but you can always build your own gym!"

Basically. If they're so pretty they should be making bank surely. Can't be that fucking good looking if you can't afford your own setup.

(I have my own, obviously :P )

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Walking is a good alternative to running.
You could also start doing circuits.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Few questions for everyone. Im not great at dumbbell bench press, mostly because I don't know the best way to let go of the dumbbell when im done with a set. Any tips?

Also, I've been doing single arm dumbbell rows and im close to the max dumbbell. What do people do when they run out of higher dumbbells? Add more reps per set?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I let them roll out of my hands onto the floor. The other option I've used is bringing them tight to my chest and then sitting up with them... but that takes some fairly serious core strength.

...and yeah, once you're out of weight you really don't have a choice but to increase reps.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Used my foam roller for the first time right after a leg workout and my soreness today is exceedingly less severe. I gotta start using it after every workout now. Shit hurts but this is worth it

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Few questions for everyone. Im not great at dumbbell bench press, mostly because I don't know the best way to let go of the dumbbell when im done with a set. Any tips?

Also, I've been doing single arm dumbbell rows and im close to the max dumbbell. What do people do when they run out of higher dumbbells? Add more reps per set?
Set them on your chest, lift your legs so your thighs touch the dumbbells and then sit up. Try not to just drop them on the floor.

You can use a barbell or wrap resistance bands around dumbbells.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
About the equivalent of 15 USD, and yeah, I should probably have negotiated some sort of bulk price.
i had a deep tissue massage. but it wasn't that good. was hoping for something better. but i also wanted to get some cracking but i don't think that place does it lol. but also your place sounds cheap. i went to a spa place RIP. ($100)

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Oh bollocks to that. Proper physio grade sports massage.

Fucking agony, but it works.
i think they have sports massage. i was going to do it but i remember it was $100 unless i get it during a deal which is probably time. do also do cupping as well. i was going to try it all at one point but never got around lol

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any good subscription free ios apps or YouTube channels that specialize in short burst workouts. I consider myself pretty fit so something that offers intermediate and advanced options is preferred. It needs to be bodyweight only exercises as I would like something for days when I'm strapped for time and cant make it to the gym

For reference, I used to use an ios app called 7 Minute Workout but they changed to a subscription service so I moved away from them.

TP17

Nov 1, 2017
Caved in and joined the gym 2 months ago, exclusively for weights and muscle growth after 29 years of avoidance, visiting 3 times a week doing push, pull and legs. Going well from a very low starting base but my left hand side if definitely weaker and noticeably the reason I have to stop on barbell curls etc when the right hand side could keep going. Should I be actively trying to strengthen the left side or will it naturally catch-up?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Caved in and joined the gym 2 months ago, exclusively for weights and muscle growth after 29 years of avoidance, visiting 3 times a week doing push, pull and legs. Going well from a very low starting base but my left hand side if definitely weaker and noticeably the reason I have to stop on barbell curls etc when the right hand side could keep going. Should I be actively trying to strengthen the left side or will it naturally catch-up?
Don't do extra work for just your left arm. Add dumbbell curls to your routine and do sets so that you are doing one arm at a time. Always start with your left. For each set, never do more reps on your right arm than with your left (which is why you always do left first).

You could do it with a barbell too but it's much harder to force your right arm to stop compensating.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Did a bunch of core work yesterday. Didn't go well. Have basically lost most of my oblique strength on the right side after the surgery / because of the nerve damage.

Anyone got any suggestions for good (ideally single side isolated) oblique exercises? I mean, I guess I could do the side plank variations like I was trying yesterday, but I suspect most of them are a bit much and I shouldn't be pushing it that hard yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any good subscription free ios apps or YouTube channels that specialize in short burst workouts. I consider myself pretty fit so something that offers intermediate and advanced options is preferred. It needs to be bodyweight only exercises as I would like something for days when I'm strapped for time and cant make it to the gym

For reference, I used to use an ios app called 7 Minute Workout but they changed to a subscription service so I moved away from them.
I thought i was hot shit for jogging 3 miles a day, went to a swimming pool for the first time in 15+ years and was astonished at how quickly i was gassed and my legs were burning.

Just your body very used to and efficient at the jogging motion and not at swimming.

Oct 28, 2017

It should catch up if you conduct compound lifts properly.

At 3 days a week, you should probably switch to a full-body program rather than PPL though.

Oct 25, 2017
So I eat keto and have been for close to 9 months. I always planned on doing cyclical keto, meaning scheduled carb refeeds. It took me long to get there but strength training + cyclical keto has been shown to produce better muscle growth than standard american diets after the refeed. I do not have metrics but the day after my refeed I felt great. I felt strong as hell. The first training day after I felt like I had a ton of energy, even more than the training day right before the load day (but after the priming day, which was high carb). And today I am noticing the water weight is shedding off and had one of my best days yet, adding 15 lbs to both pull ups and dips among other areas of progression.

I think I am going to do a refeed every month now. From what I understand, the science behind it is that MTOR rises with insulin and being insulin sensitive on keto produces high results. Only thing I am not sure on is how long and what type of refeed it will be. This first one was my Birthday as well so I went kinda hard on the carbs. And with Thanksgiving coming up, that is just the convenient day to do it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Really bummed out over my last workout. Was my Upper hypotrophy day.

I attempted to do some workouts but my should joints were fucking killing me.

I just started a month ago and have been doing PHUL... Might just switch up for the moment and go 3x a week during the week.

Should I be stretching a lot more? I keep popping (or cracking) my shoulders because it feels weird. I had to cut my workout short because it started to hurt to lift.

What is causing this? Bad form? Lifting heavier than I should be? All of the above? I was supposed to go today but rather wait till Monday and hopefully feel better. I am probably switching programs and doing split instead of full-body every day. I need to get a better feel of what I can lift with proper form without undercutting the weight I should be lifting at. Looking to do mostly 3x10 for most of my exercises.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

I just started a month ago and have been doing PHUL... Might just switch up for the moment and go 3x a week during the week.

Should I be stretching a lot more? I keep popping (or cracking) my shoulders because it feels weird. I had to cut my workout short because it started to hurt to lift.

What is causing this? Bad form? Lifting heavier than I should be? All of the above? I was supposed to go today but rather wait till Monday and hopefully feel better. I am probably switching programs and doing split instead of full-body every day. I need to get a better feel of what I can lift with proper form without undercutting the weight I should be lifting at. Looking to do mostly 3x10 for most of my exercises.
Non-specific pain is sometimes just caused by too much volume. If altering your volume fix s your pain, then just back off for a little bit.

Otherwise, no one can really diagnose your pain. If your pain lasts for more than a few weeks go see a physical therapist. It could be caused by almost anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Non-specific pain is sometimes just caused by too much volume. If altering your volume fix s your pain, then just back off for a little bit.

Otherwise, no one can really diagnose your pain. If your pain lasts for more than a few weeks go see a physical therapist. It could be caused by almost anything.
Yeah - This.

I had some pain because of the amount of weight I was lifting at a hotel gym last weekend as I was unfamiliar with their equipment and they had different motions from the same named machines at my normal gym. Shoulder hurt for a while but lifted slightly less and felt okay. Seems to be 80% recovered now.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone got any good hamstring exercises? Tried using the prone leg curl machine and it feels completely unnatural to me. I just can't work out any combinations pin positions to make it work for my body.

There's a GHD at the gym, but I'll be honest, I'm self-conscious about using it because it's in the part of the gym where the muscle monsters live. lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Thanks. Gonna make sure I rest up and go back some on my lifts. Gonna do what I can to get back at it come Monday.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any good hamstring exercises? Tried using the prone leg curl machine and it feels completely unnatural to me. I just can't work out any combinations pin positions to make it work for my body.

There's a GHD at the gym, but I'll be honest, I'm self-conscious about using it because it's in the part of the gym where the muscle monsters live. lol
Conventional deadlift and RDLs.

Oct 28, 2017

I find that I can never really pin down a reason for joint/muscle pain. It could just be a matter of a single bad lift. I've done damage more often with lighter lifts than heavier ones, maybe because I get complacent.

I really fucked up my back doing 140kg on DL inexplicably a month ago and I've managed to give myself a wrist injury off a 40kg OHP, somehow.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I find that I can never really pin down a reason for joint/muscle pain. It could just be a matter of a single bad lift. I've done damage more often with lighter lifts than heavier ones, maybe because I get complacent.

I really fucked up my back doing 140kg on DL inexplicably a month ago and I've managed to give myself a wrist injury off a 40kg OHP, somehow.

If this is genetic I am fucked.

Might check in with a therapist if I am still feeling it Monday.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Bridges, ie. lying on your back and bridging up. Throw a ball under your heels or slidey pads to make it harder, increase your lever arm.

I was going to say nordic ham curls, but no I saw your other post. Don't do nordic ham curls.......yet.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
just got around to picking up some fish oil for these old joints. feeling good lately too.
but today and tomorrow the weather will be below 40F. going to the gym wit shorts. pray i don't catch a cold. might have to wear sweats before i take it off. haven't decided as i don't really have outdoor sweats lol. or anything thats not shorts or compression pants.

Oct 25, 2017
Did my first cardio in FOREVER on Friday. I've actively avoided cardio for the last 3-4 months because i didn't want to fall more into a deficit. I have a 5k tomorrow so I wanted to see where I would be...

Ended up doing okay?

Ran about 2 miles nonstop at an 8.5 minute/mile pace. Felt like death after but was happy. Was feeling super sore this weekend but now I've recovered so gonna tackle that 5k tomorrow :P

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
but today and tomorrow the weather will be below 40F. going to the gym wit shorts. pray i don't catch a cold. might have to wear sweats before i take it off. haven't decided as i don't really have outdoor sweats lol. or anything thats not shorts or compression pants.
I tend to wear compression under my shorts in particularly cold weather.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Hi guys,

At long last, I'm typing my "fitness return" post. I'm going to try make this as short and sweet as possible and ask for your opinions on it.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 190 lbs.
Goal: 165 lbs.

Background Info:

So, I'm actually pretty strong right now. Like, the strongest I've ever been and I fully plan on keeping this up. I know I have great muscle development at the moment, but I am probably hovering at 25-30% body fat. I really, really want to lose the fat and keep as much muscle as possible. To use a term I hate, I'm looking to "cut."

I have a good workout plan right now. I'm going to continue lifting (variations of both heavy low rep sets and lighter high rep sets on different days). So not much is going to change for me there (although I'll be eating less so I know I won't be able to increase weight much for the next few months….more on that in a second).

I'm also adding in 20 minutes of cardio in the mornings.

What I do need to change is my diet. I've been eating more than I should and not all the right foods, either. Just trying to make sure I get lots of protein so I don't lose any gains, ha. The good news is that I know how to eat healthy, though. What I need help with is my macro/calorie breakdown.

SUMMARY OF MY PLAN:
  • Continue my normal lifting schedule of 5-6 times a week
  • Adding in 20 minutes of cardio in the mornings 3-4 times a week
  • 2000 calories with 40p/30c/30f macro breakdown

So what do you think? Am I going to low on calories? Is that an appropriate macro breakdown for "cutting?" I'm currently eating 2500-3200 calories a day and I seem to be staying at 190 lbs., to give you an idea of what my TDEE is. I don't actively track it (although I started using the tracker sheet on Sunday!)

Looking forward to your suggestions!

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys,

At long last, I'm typing my "fitness return" post. I'm going to try make this as short and sweet as possible and ask for your opinions on it.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 190 lbs.
Goal: 165 lbs.

Background Info:

So, I'm actually pretty strong right now. Like, the strongest I've ever been and I fully plan on keeping this up. I know I have great muscle development at the moment, but I am probably hovering at 25-30% body fat. I really, really want to lose the fat and keep as much muscle as possible. To use a term I hate, I'm looking to "cut."

I have a good workout plan right now. I'm going to continue lifting (variations of both heavy low rep sets and lighter high rep sets on different days). So not much is going to change for me there (although I'll be eating less so I know I won't be able to increase weight much for the next few months….more on that in a second).

I'm also adding in 20 minutes of cardio in the mornings.

What I do need to change is my diet. I've been eating more than I should and not all the right foods, either. Just trying to make sure I get lots of protein so I don't lose any gains, ha. The good news is that I know how to eat healthy, though. What I need help with is my macro/calorie breakdown.

SUMMARY OF MY PLAN:
  • Continue my normal lifting schedule of 5-6 times a week
  • Adding in 20 minutes of cardio in the mornings 3-4 times a week
  • 2000 calories with 40p/30c/30f macro breakdown

So what do you think? Am I going to low on calories? Is that an appropriate macro breakdown for "cutting?" I'm currently eating 2500-3200 calories a day and I seem to be staying at 190 lbs., to give you an idea of what my TDEE is. I don't actively track it (although I started using the tracker sheet on Sunday!)

Looking forward to your suggestions!
The range you gave for your current eating is huge so it's practically useless for figuring out your maintenance.

Eating at 2000 calories seems fine though. Do it for 2 weeks and adjust after.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
thats just too many layers. did that a couple of times and im like if i were to wear compression pants its just going to be that. but it does keep the warmth in. so i might have to today lol
I'd be way too self conscious to wear just compression pants. It would just be OUTLINE OF COCK AND BALLS all session long. lol

So yeah, shorts, always.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
If you got it flaunt it.
I'd be way too self conscious to wear just compression pants. It would just be OUTLINE OF COCK AND BALLS all session long. lol

So yeah, shorts, always.
maybe I'm just used to it here. Seen both guys and girls wear things that outline their bits lol. As long as they are working out I'm like it's not going to hurt anyone except the random 80 year old men who sits and stares at you