• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I skimmed the video and read this article on t-nation. The gymnasts Sommers is talking about have been training for 5-10 years minimum. That much time for a maybe 2-3x deadlift isn't all that great. For most people, a 2x deadlift is fairly easy to achieve within a year.

I'm not saying gymnastics is terrible for strength, because the results are there, but for any random person, they're going to get a lot more mileage out of primarily free weight training and gymnastics on the side if they want to be able to do some admittedly impressive movements.

I think it is super important to note that in the article he said he nor the gymnast never even trained in deadlifts a single time prior to that. Doing a 3x deadlift first time seems incredible to me, even in a strength trained individual.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm in another part of town for work and I drove I'm going to anytime fitness today after work. Been over a year since I went since I joined lol.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I skimmed the video and read this article on t-nation. The gymnasts Sommers is talking about have been training for 5-10 years minimum. That much time for a maybe 2-3x deadlift isn't all that great. For most people, a 2x deadlift is fairly easy to achieve within a year.

I'm not saying gymnastics is terrible for strength, because the results are there, but for any random person, they're going to get a lot more mileage out of primarily free weight training and gymnastics on the side if they want to be able to do some admittedly impressive movements.
That's a multiple bodyweight deadlift without any previous specific training for it....that's you matching your co-workers at your job on the first day.
Plus they can do so much more. With amazing aesthetics.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
That's a multiple bodyweight deadlift without any previous specific training for it....that's you matching your co-workers at your job on the first day.
Plus they can do so much more. With amazing aesthetics.

To be fair, the deadlift is one of the most natural tests of strength. People who do manual labor for a living can often deadlift 2x bodyweight without previous training.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you're trying to be big and strong, free weights are far more efficient than calisthenics and bodyweight exercises. If time isn't a concern, then it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you're working towards a goal.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the deadlift is one of the most natural tests of strength. People who do manual labor for a living can often deadlift 2x bodyweight without previous training.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you're trying to be big and strong, free weights are far more efficient than calisthenics and bodyweight exercises. If time isn't a concern, then it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you're working towards a goal.

On what basis are you claiming this time efficiency argument? I think that is conjecture at best and simply not true.

Calisthenics involves a lot of compound movements and very little gear. Why would pull ups take more time than say overhead pulldowns or why would push ups and their seemingly endless variations and progressions take more time than a bench press? Regarding the original argument, about what translates to real life, calisthenics I think is winner no doubt. It uses all compound and free range of motion.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
On what basis are you claiming this time efficiency argument? I think that is conjecture at best and simply not true.

Calisthenics involves a lot of compound movements and very little gear. Why would pull ups take more time than say overhead pulldowns or why would push ups and their seemingly endless variations and progressions take more time than a bench press? Regarding the original argument, about what translates to real life, calisthenics I think is winner no doubt. It uses all compound and free range of motion.

I'm claiming time efficiency because gymnasts don't look all that impressive for the 10-20 years of work they've put into their body. They give off the impression that they're huge, but that's mostly because gymnasts tend to be short and they stay very lean to keep their bodyweight down.

10616.jpg

The guy who won gold here has been training since 2 years old and he's now 27. People achieve his can achieve similar results in under 5 years weight lifting.

edit - It's just not possible to progressively overload bodyweight exercises safely at the rate you can with free weights.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm claiming time efficiency because gymnasts don't look all that impressive for the 10-20 years of work they've put into their body. They give off the impression that they're huge, but that's mostly because gymnasts tend to be short and they stay very lean to keep their bodyweight down.

10616.jpg

The guy who won gold here has been training since 2 years old and he's now 27. People achieve his can achieve similar results in under 5 years weight lifting.

edit - It's just not possible to progressively overload bodyweight exercises safely at the rate you can with free weights.

This is getting silly. This is not evidence, this is your wild conjecture - including your edit.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I was using the bench press and noticed this girl sort of hanging around. While I'm resting between sets I was checking my phone and noticed her go behind the bench to presumably grab some plates. I didn't think anything of it.

I went back to do the next set and quickly realized something was wrong. The bar didn't feel right so I stopped. I figured I must be tired so I decided to stop and rack the weights, then I noticed her down a few benches smiling in my direction. Still not giving it much thought, I go to rack the weights and realize she had taken a plate off one side. Fortunately it was only a 10 lb, but it was enough to break my concentration. I didn't actually see her do it so I didn't feel comfortable making a scene, but I know it was her.

Was she just crazy? What the hell was she thinking?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

They just have incredibly aesthetic bodies which are also incredibly strong and incredibly efficient at what they do.

0eff992bdaad48366140f6b65879d961.jpg
yuri.jpg
male_gymnast-rings.jpg

Ok, whatever you say.

They're super lean, short, and have a massive pump during these pictures. If you spent as much time as they have but did weight training instead, you'd be much bigger.

Aesthetics are literally just genetics and having a low body fat.

I find it hard to believe those gymnasts don't also weight train.

It's pretty likely that the bigger ones do considering this guy won the gold in 2016:

image_l.jpeg

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I was using the bench press and noticed this girl sort of hanging around. While I'm resting between sets I was checking my phone and noticed her go behind the bench to presumably grab some plates. I didn't think anything of it.

I went back to do the next set and quickly realized something was wrong. The bar didn't feel right so I stopped. I figured I must be tired so I decided to stop and rack the weights, then I noticed her down a few benches smiling in my direction. Still not giving it much thought, I go to rack the weights and realize she had taken a plate off one side. Fortunately it was only a 10 lb, but it was enough to break my concentration. I didn't actually see her do it so I didn't feel comfortable making a scene, but I know it was her.

That's pretty fucking strange. Maybe it's like pulling someone's hair in school. :P

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've been doing strength training for the past year (first with the Starting Strength routine; now transitioned to the StrongLifts 5x5 routine). When I got my blood pressure measured yesterday, my diastolic was good (a little under 80) but my systolic was a little over 140 (it used to be that it hovered around 120). I also noticed with a body fat monitor (that uses electrodes) that my body fat percentage increased from hovering around 15% to now near 20%. That said, the body fat monitor may not be that accurate? I'm not sure. Anyway, are these results not ideal, especially after weightlifting for the past year? Or are they okay and there's not anything wrong with what I'm doing?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I assume you're talking about a BIA scale or something? Most of them aren't even worth considering as the accuracy can be off by anywhere up to 8%. They don't even give particularly reliable results over time. Some of the new (stupidly expensive) ones are good, but that's not what most people have.

As for blood pressure... weights generally don't do much for you there. You can be strong and still have an awful cardiovascular fitness level.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
They're super lean, short, and have a massive pump during these pictures. If you spent as much time as they have but did weight training instead, you'd be much bigger.
What was this originally about? Practical strength I think haha, we've kinda branched off.

But the point I'm trying to make is that a calisthenics person will be able to easily go into weightlifting (let's say the powerlifting big 3) exercises with a respectable weight, whereas a weightlifter only will struggle to do even basic calisthenics. There is a huge strength to bodyweight ratio difference in favour of calisthenics.

Maybe she was flirting?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This week for the first time i started getting pain in my right knee from squating, and i don't mean barbell squating i mean just normal bod weight squats, i don't even remember hurting it or anything. I guess the saying about things going downhill after 30 are accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
This week for the first time i started getting pain in my right knee from squating, and i don't mean barbell squating i mean just normal bod weight squats, i don't even remember hurting it or anything. I guess the saying about things going downhill after 30 are accurate.

Things have gone uphill for me. 34 currently, best shape of my life even though I played a lot of sports in high school and earlier, basically my entire life.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Its your 40s where it goes to shit. "Downhill" in your 30s is just for elites sportspeople... and even that's not as true as it was.

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I assume you're talking about a BIA scale or something? Most of them aren't even worth considering as the accuracy can be off by anywhere up to 8%. They don't even give particularly reliable results over time. Some of the new (stupidly expensive) ones are good, but that's not what most people have.

As for blood pressure... weights generally don't do much for you there. You can be strong and still have an awful cardiovascular fitness level.

I see, thanks for responding. Yes, I believe what I'm using a BIA scale (it's one I have to hold up with my arms though than a scale you stand on). So the only reliable way to measure body fat is with an expensive BIA scale?

Also, regarding blood pressure, I'm guessing diet has more of an effect there than working out?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
A pro can measure using calipers, and you also have bodpods / water displacement calculations as well as dexa scans. None tend to be cheap though.

...and yes, diet as well as cardio work (or even HIIT with weights).

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting so frustrated, I've been following Coolcicada's PPL for about 3 months now and adding deadlifts on pull day and some decent Ab work on leg day and... I've just gotten fat. Some muscle increase but nothing compared to how fat I've gotten. Was following n/suns with decent accessory work before that and pretty much the same thing happened despite following my macros.

On both programs my strength has gone through the roof but my body never reflects that, I feel like I never actually get anywhere and it's getting so disheartening. I've been going to the gym for years now and I just feel like I'm going round in circles. I know each program is different for everyone and nobody can expect the same results but I want a program that is gonna give me the results I want rather than trialing different things constantly and getting nowhere. I've read the intermediate programs in the OP but which is the best one to get a decent body? Sorry I know it comes across like I'm just whining but I feel so defeated right now.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so frustrated, I've been following Coolcicada's PPL for about 3 months now and adding deadlifts on pull day and some decent Ab work on leg day and... I've just gotten fat. Some muscle increase but nothing compared to how fat I've gotten. Was following n/suns with decent accessory work before that and pretty much the same thing happened despite following my macros.

On both programs my strength has gone through the roof but my body never reflects that, I feel like I never actually get anywhere and it's getting so disheartening. I've been going to the gym for years now and I just feel like I'm going round in circles. I know each program is different for everyone and nobody can expect the same results but I want a program that is gonna give me the results I want rather than trialing different things constantly and getting nowhere. I've read the intermediate programs in the OP but which is the best one to get a decent body? Sorry I know it comes across like I'm just whining but I feel so defeated right now.

What is your diet like? I think that is going to have a bigger impact on your fat gain than one exercise routine over another. Also important is what your goals are, for both your diet and from your training.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
On both programs my strength has gone through the roof but my body never reflects that, I feel like I never actually get anywhere and it's getting so disheartening.
Strength is not reflected in body composition necessarily.

What do you want, strength or aesthetics? These are two different goals.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What is your diet like? I think that is going to have a bigger impact on your fat gain than one exercise routine over another. Also important is what your goals are, for both your diet and from your training.
Clean, lots of lean chicken/turkey, fish, green veg, Wholegrain rice/pasta, oats, protein shakes. I know I have a shit metabolism and always have done but fuck I wasn't expecting to balloon up like this whilst bulking.

Strength is not reflected in body composition necessarily.

What do you want, strength or aesthetics? These are two different goals.
A e s t h e t i c s, idc about strength but I'm making solid progressions every week.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
2020 is coming up. and im going to focus on doing some olympic lifts which i was planning to do like years ago.

also said i was going to build a home gym. thats gonna postpone until next black friday as thats when all the good deals happening apparently.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Clean, lots of lean chicken/turkey, fish, green veg, Wholegrain rice/pasta, oats, protein shakes. I know I have a shit metabolism and always have done but fuck I wasn't expecting to balloon up like this whilst bulking.

A e s t h e t i c s, idc about strength but I'm making solid progressions every week.
Eating clean is good and all but if you over eat then that's the ball game. You are going to get fatter while bulking. Cut if you're too fat.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing more body weight and resistance bands on the side but can't quite figure out how to implement both into a routine that works for me just yet.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Eating clean is good and all but if you over eat then that's the ball game. You are going to get fatter while bulking. Cut if you're too fat.
I gave up on bulking. All of my fat goes straight to my waist so it takes no time for me to look like shit.

Recomp for life (I don't need to be setting records with what I can lift... nor can I ever expect to now thanks to injuries).

Oct 25, 2017
I would say you're probably eating too much pasta/rice/oats.

There was a study on the previous page that said you don't actually need a calorie surplus to build and maintain muscle, you just need protein so maybe try training at a deficit instead of bulking if your main goal is to be slim.

Oct 25, 2017
I would cut out carbs too. Maybe swap the carbs for lower glycemic carbs. Split your meals into either fat and protein or protein and carbs. Try to minimize mixing carbs and fats in the same meal. Also, make sure you get healthy fats, like from whole food meats, coconut oil, olive oil, (avoiding the bad oils like soy, canola, your basic vegetable oil).

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would say you're probably eating too much pasta/rice/oats.

There was a study on the previous page that said you don't actually need a calorie surplus to build and maintain muscle, you just need protein so maybe try training at a deficit instead of bulking if your main goal is to be slim.
According to my macros I should be eating 332g of carbs a day whilst bulking which always seemed insane to me.

I would cut out carbs too. Maybe swap the carbs for lower glycemic carbs. Split your meals into either fat and protein or protein and carbs. Try to minimize mixing carbs and fats in the same meal.
Interesting, I'll give this a try.

As for workouts, I was looking at PHAT, that would be better for purely aesthetics right? Or should I still with PPL?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was cutting carbs in addition to a deficit I dropped quite a few pounds. I kinda went in with the thought of just having a serving of oatmeal, a banana and PB mixed up and that was my carbs for the day (not including the greens I subbed for rice with dinner and lunch).

Wasn't keto, but I believe I kept it around 50-60 a day and felt great.

honestly just doing lettuce wraps to eat with my poultry or beef has been my go to.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was cutting carbs in addition to a deficit I dropped quite a few pounds. I kinda went in with the thought of just having a serving of oatmeal, a banana and PB mixed up and that was my carbs for the day (not including the greens I subbed for rice with dinner and lunch).

Wasn't keto, but I believe I kept it around 50-60 a day and felt great.

honestly just doing lettuce wraps to eat with my poultry or beef has been my go to.

Ketosis can be achieved with 50-60g of carbs per day, especially if you are counting fibers and sugar alcohols which keto macros typically dismiss. For example, I typically get around 25g of net carbs per day (total carbs - sugar alcohols + fibers) but when I add the fibers and sugar alcohols (almost all fiber on most days) in it is closer to 50-60g. Some people can maintain ketosis with as much as 50g net carbs too, but most people stick below 20-25g.

I love the keto diet btw. I am continuing on it despite really not looking to lose weight anymore. I still expect fat loss but I am eating closer and closer to maintenance (you can even lean bulk on keto).

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
So how much calories do I really need? I keep reading 2300 calories, but isn't that a ton of calories for someone who is a software developer?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So how much calories do I really need? I keep reading 2300 calories, but isn't that a ton of calories for someone who is a software developer?

We have no way of guessing, you need to track your calories for a few weeks, if you maintain weight then you'll have a pretty good idea of your maintenance calories, if you want to lose weight then drop 500 calories from that.

Oct 25, 2017

The typical caloric calculator will try to figure out your basal metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing besides living and breathing. This is typically around 10x your body weight in pounds, but they will try to guess a bit more accurately using your height, sex, and age. Set your activity level to sedentary and it will give you a baseline.

You can try to track manually but honestly between weight fluctuations that are perfectly normal, especially when losing weight with water loss or retention, it is gonna be difficult.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Fitness, question for ya.

I've recently begun doing HIIT on the stair stepper. I'll do 1 minute on 10 (half speed) and 1 minutes on 20 (max speed). One thing I notice about the machine is that it displays the current watts generated. So when I'm at 20, the watts are 300+ (can't remember the exact number). If a machine is generating 300+ watts, does that mean that is what my body is generated? Likewise, how does the watts generated during a workout correspond to cardiovascular gains + calories burned?

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
probably been discussed, but any thoughts opinion on the X3 bar system? Scam? Works?

I am tempted just cause of the time it would save me from my usually 90-120 minute gym workouts. Already on the keto and intermittent fasting diets, so this would be great but as always I am skeptical of these sorts of workouts.

thanks in advance!

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Fitness, question for ya.

I've recently begun doing HIIT on the stair stepper. I'll do 1 minute on 10 (half speed) and 1 minutes on 20 (max speed). One thing I notice about the machine is that it displays the current watts generated. So when I'm at 20, the watts are 300+ (can't remember the exact number). If a machine is generating 300+ watts, does that mean that is what my body is generated? Likewise, how does the watts generated during a workout correspond to cardiovascular gains + calories burned?

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
It depends on the machine to be honest.

Ideally, it would just be a measure of the rate at which work is done in lifting your weight over the height you're climbing. Then you would multiply that by the amount of time you climbed to find your mechanical energy expended in kilojoules. Multiply that by an individual efficiency factor to account for the overhead it takes for your body to turn food energy into work and you get your energy burn.

There are a number of problems with these calculations however. They assume a human climbing a step is equivalent to lifting a sack of potatoes by the same amount. The body doesn't work that way however, since you store a good deal of energy in your Achilles tended every time you take a step. It acts like a spring on your next step, giving you a little boost so you don't have to do nearly as much work to walk as you do to move a sack of potatoes. It means that the energy burn reading you see on exercise machines is usually a massive overestimate.

Long story short, the machine is lying to you. The human body is much more efficient at moving than it assumes.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Gyming on vacation is fuckin tough esp with time changes, eating like pigs, and not sleeping normally. Ughhh

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Hit a double overhand deadlift PR, 340 x 4. Nice to see some grip improvements . Grip strength is a roller coaster for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a good post lifting stretching routine I could do every day? Something that doesn't take 30 minutes.

I'm noticing a lot of tightness in my quads and shoulders especially, and would like to improve my mobility in general.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Actually hit 20 reps on my Squat "rep out" today. Could easily have done more, but the program says to stop at 20 if I get there. Knowing me with my bad counting, the trick is to count out to 23 reps and by then I assuredly have done 20 reps. No stranger to high rep squats so wasn't even gassing that much on this.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
What are the safest leg exercises I could do? So far I've only used machines but apparently they are bad for your knees. Squats don't seem very safe either unless you have perfect form.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
What are the safest leg exercises I could do? So far I've only used machines but apparently they are bad for your knees. Squats don't seem very safe either unless you have perfect form.
I'm interested in this also. From what I understand, lunges and one-leg squats are better for the knees than barbell squats, but if some of the more experienced people can weigh in, that'd be great.