• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Success bench day. Feeling better doing bench press.

EDIT:

also.

81-lkoDBaBL._SX522_.jpg

just bought a 12 pack. idk why. should have went to the store and picked one bar up and see. if i don't like i'll just hand it out to my friends lol.

Let us know how these are

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I have like 40 pnds of fat to burn still before I get that close to a physique!

Nice job!! Can see the progression!!

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
Was in the hospital for 7 hours for my 4 month old, she spit up a tiny amount blood with her milk. She's been doing great except the scare this morning, thankfully it's just an irritation in her esophagus. Still managed to hit the gym tonight with serious doms in my adductors from squats yesterday. Did 275 3x8 265x8 pendlays and superset chinups 5x12 with strict bb shrugs 315/405/405/405/315x8.

Coot is FitEra's Superman he just needs a blurred out stache.

I'll be the Blob

Oct 27, 2017
Hey fitness gaf, looking at getting a casein protein supplement for before going to bed.

I use ON whey protein as is for post workout.

Should I just stick with their casein powder?

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Was in the hospital for 7 hours for my 4 month old, she spit up a tiny amount blood with her milk. She's been doing great except the scare this morning, thankfully it's just an irritation in her esophagus. Still managed to hit the gym tonight with serious doms in my adductors from squats yesterday. Did 275 3x8 265x8 pendlays and superset chinups 5x12 with strict bb shrugs 315/405/405/405/315x8.

I'll be the Blob

Sorry to hear that man. Glad to hear she's doing well now.

You would be Hulk in our JL/Avengers cross-over.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
this how we be eating

So here goes...

Oct 2nd
TB6eAkj.jpg

Oct 23rd

warcpFq.jpg

Nov 14th

jffsayj.jpg

keep going! L E A N B O Y Z

I'll be the Blob

glad to hear it is nothing serious

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the odd time in the pool with friends i didnt really start to swim until i joined my local tri club 3 years ago. We get regular coached sessions and when i say coached its more of a this is what i want you to swim today including drills/endurance/speed/technique - we dont really get individual feedback and the coaching is a show and copy scenario which doesnt really help as you cant really see what is going on and it is all done by the feel of the water and your swim times against effort.

We were in the same situation where our pool was getting closed for 18month(its now way over that now btw) but we were lucky to get a temporary pool created - the facilities are not as good and you can taste it when someone users the shower but at least its a 25m pool you can do lane lengths in. It really does help to swim with others though - even if its just for some cheeky drafting when tiredness sets in.

Going by the Feel of the water helps if you already have a good feel for the strokes and know what to look for, but external analysis can find things you just don't realise, but it's not always possible to find a good coach that gives lessons at reasonable prices (not living in the US). Ah at least you guys have a pool. The problem here is more that the swimming lanes are rather full already and if this one closes the second pool in the area will probably so full during normal before/after work hours that you can't do a decent Training at your own pace.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Pics remind me... I think it's awesome that many of the "older" lifters here are still beasts, and still aesthetic. (I'm in neither category, but I'm definitely old!)

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You have 3 options. Look into a weekly pass somewhere else. Do bodyweight exercises. Take a week off.
I'm poor, so I just ran. I did see monkey bars, I guess I need to create a bodyweight routine. Thanks!
Just do a deload week. Find some bodyweight exercises that are close to what you normally do. When it reopens just continue on your normal schedule, you won't lose any progress from one week off.
Deloading is a new term to me. Seems interesting, let's see how I fare when I return. Also, as I stated above, I'll try to cobble up a good bodyweight routine not just for when the gym is closed, also for when I'm away. Thanks!
I usually try to weasel my way into a 1 week trial at another gym. Let's me check other gyms to see if I want to switch too.
I'm poor and my gym is probably the most rustic, even the barbells are coated with dust made of rust. Maybe someday. Thanks!

Basically I just ran, swam, and ate a ton of grapes. Delicious grapes. Let me finish the remaining grapes before gym's back in session.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the Feel of the water helps if you already have a good feel for the strokes and know what to look for, but external analysis can find things you just don't realise, but it's not always possible to find a good coach that gives lessons at reasonable prices (not living in the US). Ah at least you guys have a pool. The problem here is more that the swimming lanes are rather full already and if this one closes the second pool in the area will probably so full during normal before/after work hours that you can't do a decent Training at your own pace.

We did have a coach that was on the swim smooth course but he has taken a back seat over the past 24 month so video analysis stopped and as you say its really key to improving your stroke.

We are lucky to have one guy that has taken on the coaching mantle but he is very inexperienced having only started any sort of fitness regime over the past 5 years so we cant really complain and he is starting to improve and is looking to start up the video analysis again soon.

We are the same with the number of lanes - with it being a temp poor we only have a smaller number of lanes so access is limited out with our coached sessions and as you say trying to get a decent set in with public swimmers is nigh on impossible.

Our coached sessions have recently changed in style too which has helped - before it was very bitty warm up/build/drills/main set where we were getting generic coaching that we had heard countless times (there is only so many times you can be told about broken arrow drills before you know how to do them and what they are for...).

There were 1 hour sessions where we were listening to the coach for over 50% of the time instead off swimming unfortunately this was the generic stuff so a few of the good swimmers left and decided to just swim on their own time as wasting 30m a session wasnt worth it to them.

Hopefully the new sessions along with video analysis will see an improvement over the coming months.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

I'll be the Blob

Scary as hell but I'm so glad she's okay dude

Holy crap, how d
Holy, how did you do that?

Like MTP said, Wally_Wall is superman

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Discovered a simple and sick chicken and broccoli pasta bake dish last night. Loaded with gain goodness.

Question though: if you see someone in the power rack doing something that's not using it, do you ask them to move? First time I had someone doing pull ups in there and I was asked because there's only one power rack in out gym and about five places to do pull ups but they were pissy with me when I asked if I could use the power rack. Second time, this person was using a bench and doing dumbbell rows within the power rack. So again I ask if they're using it and they're like "I am later on" so then I just sit and wait for them. Eventually, they apologised and said to go ahead but were a bit arsey about it. Would you guys do the same though?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how you guys deal with it. I was watching some asshole do curls in the only proper rack / deadlift platform the other day and I genuinely wanted to harm them.

So glad I've got my own gym.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you guys deal with it. I was watching some asshole do curls in the only proper rack / deadlift platform the other day and I genuinely wanted to harm them.

I like the random attention and looks I get from people at the gym. Enjoy the social aspects of it as well, but yes, there are some days where I just don't want to be bothered and it is annoying to deal with lol.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

see, the weird thing about doing curls in the rack is that at the gym i go to, there's 2-3 designated area to do curls. hell, the whole free weight area is curl zone. but then again. i took one of the racks to do BB rows lol. that was only after i realized no one was going to squat.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to pop in here to thank you guys - especially Wally_Wall - for motivating me to get back in the gym and get my diet (somewhat) in order. I was using the excuse of having two kids to avoid working out but they (and my wife) are EXACTLY why I should be working out. I'm really locked in right now and already starting to look and feel waaaaaay better.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
usually at my gym, planet fitness, there isnt many people there. so i dont really have to wait for areas to be open. really happy about that. i dont like busy and packed places.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I usually drink 16 ounces of water before I go to bed. Otherwise I can't sleep lol.

Will I still wake up thirsty?

I drink some water before going to bed too, and that's fine. But those casein proteins gave me thirst, until I woke up in the middle of the night with need of water.

One solution could be drinking even more water before going to bed, but then I had to wake up to pee.

Probably it had nothing to do with the supplements, and it was just a time of my life where I was having some hidratation trouble at nights, and I blamed the proteins for that.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Discovered a simple and sick chicken and broccoli pasta bake dish last night. Loaded with gain goodness.

Question though: if you see someone in the power rack doing something that's not using it, do you ask them to move? First time I had someone doing pull ups in there and I was asked because there's only one power rack in out gym and about five places to do pull ups but they were pissy with me when I asked if I could use the power rack. Second time, this person was using a bench and doing dumbbell rows within the power rack. So again I ask if they're using it and they're like "I am later on" so then I just sit and wait for them. Eventually, they apologised and said to go ahead but were a bit arsey about it. Would you guys do the same though?
Absolutely. It's incredibly rude to use the power rack or bench (press) for exercises that don't utilize the equipment, as they're usually in limited supply and always in high demand.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Success bench day. Feeling better doing bench press.

EDIT:

also.

just bought a 12 pack. idk why. should have went to the store and picked one bar up and see. if i don't like i'll just hand it out to my friends lol.

I've got a couple boxes of these coming in today too, thinking of being lame and making an actual birthday cake out of them to make up for my lack of dessert on my actual birthday, lol.

I still need to try ON's casein protein. I use their whey for some things, but mostly I stick to Quest's protein powder which is a casein/whey/milk blend. I really like the thickness and slow digestion the Quest powder provides and am curious to see how much I like full-on casein.

Fucked up my shoulder doing benches yesterday; I was a little too close to the back of my rack and hit one of the hooks on the way down. Nothing too serious, a few nights of comfy sleep and I'll probably be good, but low, constant dull pains suck, especially when I'm sitting at a desk all day.

Wally_Wall Awesome to see your progress visualized man, progress pics are always so motivating! Goes to show how much losing those pounds at the end can do for you, especially when you have a good frame underneath already.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if there's an app like this

basically my idea is that you have a human body diagram and you tap the muscle/area you want to work and can get more specific from there and then it'll give you a list of exercises/supersets/videos etc.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a couple boxes of these coming in today too, thinking of being lame and making an actual birthday cake out of them to make up for my lack of dessert on my actual birthday, lol.

I still need to try ON's casein protein. I use their whey for some things, but mostly I stick to Quest's protein powder which is a casein/whey/milk blend. I really like the thickness and slow digestion the Quest powder provides and am curious to see how much I like full-on casein.
crumbled it in some vanilla icecream or birthday cake ice cream, then layer it inside some pancakes (been on Instagram too much)

well you can tell me how it is. mine is coming friday (for some reason it did say thursday on amazon when i bought. oh well)
also you mention the casein protein. i had that like a year or so ago. i couldn't get into it because of the thickness. i do want to supplement some powder back into me

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I'm curious if there's an app like this

basically my idea is that you have a human body diagram and you tap the muscle/area you want to work and can get more specific from there and then it'll give you a list of exercises/supersets/videos etc.
can't think of the name but that is a legit app that exist. it also gives you the videos too.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Casein only works for me in the blender with milk, PB and a banana. In a shaker cup with water it's atrocious

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should put my 'intro' or whatever. I started working out for the first time in my life in March of this year. I began with a personal trainer and am just now ending my deal with him(just due to wanting to save money. we mostly focused on form). I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, 2 upper body 2 lower body and then if I have the extra day in my work schedule I'll do a bunch of high intensity stuff. I work at a warehouse so I get plenty of walking cardio.

I've lost a bunch of weight and developed a lot especially in my forearms, shoulders and quads. But I still have these shitty love handles which I've been told are the last to go. I've tried rushing them along with doing more running but I really struggle with running as opposed to walking. The only problem is theyve gone down some but everything else in my body has gone down a bunch so they stick out a hell of a lot more. I'm basically trying to reduce weight in my chest/stomach and especially love handles so I can get down to a lean state and work up. I don't really diet but i do avoid culprits like sugary stuff and I don't eat an excess since I'm trying to cut. So I guess it's just time or somehow forcing myself to be able to handle running more.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Data west, if you really want to take it to the next level you have to focus on diet. Know how much you are eating everyday. You don't have to precisely know every calorie but you should have an idea of what range you are in by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Casein only works for me in the blender with milk, PB and a banana. In a shaker cup with water it's atrocious
I'm all about blending my shakes anyway; I usually do it with ice and almond milk to make it more like a milkshake. Or I mix it in with greek yogurt/cottage cheese.
I've lost a bunch of weight and developed a lot especially in my forearms, shoulders and quads. But I still have these shitty love handles which I've been told are the last to go. I've tried rushing them along with doing more running but I really struggle with running as opposed to walking. The only problem is theyve gone down some but everything else in my body has gone down a bunch so they stick out a hell of a lot more. I'm basically trying to reduce weight in my chest/stomach and especially love handles so I can get down to a lean state and work up. I don't really diet but i do avoid culprits like sugary stuff and I don't eat an excess since I'm trying to cut. So I guess it's just time or somehow forcing myself to be able to handle running more.
Like Wally said, it's all about diet. Get a food scale and take some time to honestly, truthfully log what you're eating. Everything. Weigh it all out. Sometimes people skip important stuff because they don't really think about it, eg: oil (a tablespoon of which is ~130 calories), or they're not truthful about measurements (try comparing what you think of as a tablespoon of peanut butter to the actual weight -- calorie dense foods like that add up fast). It's also super easy to think you're eating healthy because of the types of food you're eating but still be eating a shit ton of calories, eg: calorie dense foods like nuts. I've been snacking on these gochujang almonds from Trader Joe's for a while now, but they're ~170 calories for 28 grams. If I didn't take the time to portion them out, I'd definitely be eating more than that in one go because 28 grams isn't shit.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017

I switched gyms last March because I got fed up with it. New Gym has 5 power racks w/ 4 platforms. Old gym had 1 power rack and no platforms. Anytime Fotness is convenient but most of the gyms are shit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYXX-BzAaMb/?taken-by=beast_in_i

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Data west, if you really want to take it to the next level you have to focus on diet. Know how much you are eating everyday. You don't have to precisely know every calorie but you should have an idea of what range you are in by the end of the day.
I counted calories for a while and was always under because my days could leave me eating only 1 or 2 meals a day

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also trying to gain weight and muscle mass. I'm taking shakes with 2 scoops: 1 is whey protein, the other is oat flour. I also increased the amount of food I take in everymeal.

Sorry but I had a chicago pizza for dinner. I was tired today and I had a huge desire to eat something like that.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also trying to gain weight and muscle mass. I'm taking shakes with 2 scoops: 1 is whey protein, the other is oat flour. I also increased the amount of food I take in everymeal.

Sorry but I had a chicago pizza for dinner. I was tired today and I had a huge desire to eat something like that.

1 shake with 2 scoops of protein, 1 banana, 2 (heaping) tbsp. PB, 1/4 cup of oats and whole milk to thickness not only tastes SUBLIME, but it has over 1,000 calories.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
All you people who have trouble putting on weight must come from a different subset of homosapien than me. I can not relate whatsoever. Wanna gain? Eat peanut butter by the jar.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
1 shake with 2 scoops of protein, 1 banana, 2 (heaping) tbsp. PB, 1/4 cup of oats and whole milk to thickness not only tastes SUBLIME, but it has over 1,000 calories.

Would you suggest that for dinner or breakfast? Apart of the calories it has, seems to be pretty healthy as well. If it's just for dinner, I don't know if I should just take it, or also my usual dinner.

All you people who have trouble putting on weight must come from a different subset of homosapien than me. I can not relate whatsoever. Wanna gain? Eat peanut butter by the jar.

I used to take a couple of sandwich bread with peanut butter for breakfast half a year ago, and now that I think about it, I gained about 4 kg in two months. Maybe it's time to go back to peanut butter.

I hope with the increase of amount of food I'm having now, and peanut butter, my muscles are the ones that grow and not my belly, haha.